Become a Patron!

What are you cooking?

Hi everyone. Did a search for this, found a little similar but not exactly.
This is about us all, everywhere with covid, stay at home and what are we cooking. Maybe what we always do anyway, but I think many of us are cooking now things that is a result of lockdown, social distancing or simply to keep ourselves safe.
Me tonight I have done American BBQ, herbs for that from Aldi called American BBQ, chilli chicken wings. My wife has made a salad to go with it.
My recipe was the US BBQ mix from Aldi, dried and powdered home made chilli, parsley, black pepper and Chicken Salt.
No :D they are not burnt, they are perfect.
View attachment 158847
I can't wait to cook them too, looks WoW, Thanks

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not cooking with it just yet, but yummers.
Love the label and story on the back.

View attachment 165527 View attachment 165526

Quite sharp at 13%, yet fruity and sweet. A bit dry with pear and almost grapefruit undertones to this one. Spicy for a young California Char.

(Had to LOL that it is from Manteca, CA since Manteca is pig lard. Great shit to cook with BTW....like a natural Crisco that tastes like bacon.)

Daddy likes. :vino:
Sounds like it would go great as a reduction with some garlic, capers and shallot.
Going to have to keep an eye out for it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yesssssir!
rAs5Ujps.jpg

I have one of their chalices....got it for free long ago. (old pic)

aCf6wX2.jpg

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We're gonna have grilled chops, marinated with a brown sugar bourbon thing.

Has anyone heard from @Smigo? He hasn't been around for a little bit. I know he was getting ultra concerned with the rise in COVID, so I hope all is well.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Has anyone heard from @Smigo? He hasn't been around for a little bit. I know he was getting ultra concerned with the rise in COVID, so I hope all is well.
Hadn’t seen him about.
for whatever reason I was under the impression that he loved overseas someplace.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hadn’t seen him about.
for whatever reason I was under the impression that he loved overseas someplace.

He does, he's in Australia.

His profile says he was on at 9-something this morning.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not cooking per se, but food-related. ;)

Cleaned out my fridge/freezer doors yesterday...was a frakkin' mess. Much better now.
Yes, those wires were in there to replace busted shelves when I got here.

IMG_0726.JPG

The fridge itself is not too bad off and the freezer is well, packed tighter than two coats of paint. ?

Also, opened my door to find this bag of goodies hanging from it.
Two apples, an onion, and a small orange.

IMG_0728.JPG

Seems one of the guy downstairs gave everyone in the building a bag like it.
Pretty damn cool. Also, the smallest Delicious apples I'd ever seen. :D

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Made my usual S/E/C breakfast, just a wee bit differently.

On a lightly toasted panini roll this time. I fried up some JD breakfast sausage, Anaheim chile, onion, fennel and garlic and then scrambled an egg into it. With yummy melty Muenster cheese.

P1040561.JPG

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Huck, it's now been 9 days since @Smigo posted. He popped in on Saturday, but didn't post anything. I hope he and his family are ok.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
sniffel sniffel.. my oven went out,
its an EASY fix yet will not allow anyone in the house
until further notice.
LOOKED, read an pondered the options.
spoke to @f1r3b1rd he lead me in the proper direction.
spoke to @wildgypsy70 she gave me the confidance to purchase.
and got.......
phyllo oven.jpg
a counter top 1/2 oven.
on a dedicated 20 amp line, and its own movable bakers cart.
READY what to bake first???
!!!! Spanakopita !!!!

whats that you ask?
well its homemade phyllo
phyllo 1..jpg
stuffed with sauteed spinich garlic onion shallot salt pepper nutmeg.. let cool
add lemon zest, egg yoke and fetta, and stuff the phyllo sheets

so what do ya do with the egg white ya ask?
make coconut macaroons
phyllo done.jpg

and say SUPPER...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
until further notice.
and got.......
View attachment 165819
a counter top 1/2 oven.
!!!! Spanakopita !!!!

whats that you ask?
well its homemade phyllo
View attachment 165821

make coconut macaroons
View attachment 165824

and say SUPPER...
Nice! Looks good!!

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Nice! Looks good!!
am in shock at how much am liking this oven.
its quieter ,, when my oven fan runs YOU HEAR IT.
it believe it or not is cooler in the kitchen an that's with no exhaust fan to the outside.
stove has to have that or you die
it cooks faster. no doubt way faster
can toss all old timings out the window.
and they both seem to cook just as even.
feels solid no plastic
so it should stand up under steady use

so when all is said and done plague over oven repaired ..
am gonna have me a two oven kitchen..

{thanks to da folks from da professional kitchens}

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
am in shock at how much am liking this oven.
its quieter ,, when my oven fan runs YOU HEAR IT.
it believe it or not is cooler in the kitchen an that's with no exhaust fan to the outside.
stove has to have that or you die
it cooks faster. no doubt way faster
can toss all old timings out the window.
and they both seem to cook just as even.
feels solid no plastic
so it should stand up under steady use

so when all is said and done plague over oven repaired ..
am gonna have me a two oven kitchen..

{thanks to da folks from da professional kitchens}

Hells yeah...in my 1BD Apt and it's galley kitchen about 6' wide, I'd be doomed without my old Oster countertop convection oven.

The actual 1980s electric oven doubles as a heater, eats money and possibly souls.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No-cook cookery because the 'feels like' temp is 96F right now and high temp ain't until 4-6pm. Melting.

So, I made a wrap:
A soft taco flour tort, Persian cucumber, Roma tomato, roast turkey breast, and whipped cream cheese. Seasoned with dill, bacon bits, smoked garlic salt, and Tellicherry pepper.

Just a snack...but it's nice and cold, I'm little, and it's to damn hot to eat large. ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
until further notice.
and got.......
View attachment 165819
a counter top 1/2 oven.
!!!! Spanakopita !!!!

whats that you ask?
well its homemade phyllo
View attachment 165821

make coconut macaroons
View attachment 165824

and say SUPPER...

That's frakkin' awesome!! Bravo!!

excitedapplauseminionsdespicable-me.gif

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Leftovers done right!
Had some shrimp etouffee leftover from the other day but wasn’t enough for a full meal for two.
Add in some fried flounder and you’ve got a meal fit for a king of the bayou.

D97E16C6-31FD-4700-B362-284EF7029F19.jpeg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Took the leftover half of that pizza dough outa the freezer and re-raised it, then made this:

Marinara sauce w/ minced roasted garlic, habanero powder and MX Oregano added

Pepperoni, Italian sausage, black olives, pickled jalapeno, and Italian 4-cheese.

Put a bit of extra Jack cheese on the top near the end for extra melty cheesy-ness.

Goood eatin'!! :p:pizza:

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cooler temps now so got to cook a bit more. :)

Made a nice pilaf-type thing with brown Jasmine rice, veggies, sweet peppers, and corned beef.

Late-night nacho with stone-ground white corn chips, cotijia and cheddar cheeses, Adobo seasoning, refried beans, a drizzle of hotsauce, some parsley and Cilantro pesto.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
BTW, one way I like eating that pilaf stuff is sort of a cross of Latin and Middle-Eastern: Simply heat some corn torts, stuff with the rice mixture, a bit of chilli, and some cheese. Then just fold/roll it up and eat it.

Messy, but pretty healthy and delish. ;-)

Y747Rz6l.jpg

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Don’t know what to call this. I normally use thighs for Cajun or Asian cuisine and save the breasts to eat by themselves.
decided to switch it up.
Chicken thighs smothered with fresh jalapeño, habanero, onion and garlic. Served over cornbread dressing and fresh squash and zuchini

AA5B821B-480C-45FC-820D-C2CA4FC68A41.jpegAB737791-406B-4797-B081-DB944EEA61A9.jpeg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
We had smoked pork chops and sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon sugar tonight.

Bird your chicken looks fantastic, and I do really love good cornbread dressing. You make me want to bake a pan of cornbread so I can make some from scratch.

Chicken thighs are the best part of the chicken imo, especially for soup/stew/broth for gravy, etc.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We had smoked pork chops and sweet potatoes with butter and cinnamon sugar tonight.
Oh dear, I need your stuffing recipe.
Bird your chicken looks fantastic, and I do really love good cornbread dressing. You make me want to bake a pan of cornbread so I can make some from scratch.

Chicken thighs are the best part of the chicken imo, especially for soup/stew/broth for gravy, etc.
Thank you..

Normally I save the thighs for either stir fry or Cajun food.
I had the need to experiment and did this. The breast would not have worked here, it’s way to lean not to fall apart.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You have a good homemade cornbread recipe, right?

I just take a pan of cornbread, cube it onto a cookie sheet and let it air dry for an hour or so, then dry it further in a 250 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Mix it up a couple of times so that it all dries fairly evenly.

Get a huge bowl and melt at least a stick of butter in it. Cool the melted butter down with some chicken broth (2 cups or so) so you can whisk a couple of eggs into the mixture without cooking the eggs. Add sage, Italian seasoning, a ton of black pepper, sauteed onion/mushroom, celery if you like it, crumbled sausage, pecans, hot sauce, whatever you want into that mixture, then start adding the cubed cornbread. (If you use salted chicken broth or a regular bouillon like Knorr, you won't need to add any other salt to the mixture.)

Once all the cornbread is added, then I start adding more chicken broth. I like to make the dressing wet enough that it's just a little wetter than I think it should be, about the thickness of well-whipped homemade mashed potatoes.

Bake it in a buttered pan (13x9 if you use a whole pan of cornbread) until very nearly set. It's one of those things that can cook with your meat, about 45-50 minutes at 350, 40 minutes or so at 375, an hour at 325, you get me. Let it set a few more minutes after you take it out of the oven.

Roux-based brown gravy is mighty good over this.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You have a good homemade cornbread recipe, right?

I just take a pan of cornbread, cube it onto a cookie sheet and let it air dry for an hour or so, then dry it further in a 250 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. Mix it up a couple of times so that it all dries fairly evenly.

Get a huge bowl and melt at least a stick of butter in it. Cool the melted butter down with some chicken broth (2 cups or so) so you can whisk a couple of eggs into the mixture without cooking the eggs. Add sage, Italian seasoning, a ton of black pepper, sauteed onion/mushroom, celery if you like it, crumbled sausage, pecans, hot sauce, whatever you want into that mixture, then start adding the cubed cornbread. (If you use salted chicken broth or a regular bouillon like Knorr, you won't need to add any other salt to the mixture.)

Once all the cornbread is added, then I start adding more chicken broth. I like to make the dressing wet enough that it's just a little wetter than I think it should be, about the thickness of well-whipped homemade mashed potatoes.

Bake it in a buttered pan (13x9 if you use a whole pan of cornbread) until very nearly set. It's one of those things that can cook with your meat, about 45-50 minutes at 350, 40 minutes or so at 375, an hour at 325, you get me. Let it set a few more minutes after you take it out of the oven.

Roux-based brown gravy is mighty good over this.
Thank you so much!

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Took the leftover half of that pizza dough outa the freezer and re-raised it, then made this:

Marinara sauce w/ minced roasted garlic, habanero powder and MX Oregano added

Pepperoni, Italian sausage, black olives, pickled jalapeno, and Italian 4-cheese.

Put a bit of extra Jack cheese on the top near the end for extra melty cheesy-ness.

Goood eatin'!! :p:pizza:

@CaFF i was meaning to ask you...
when you cook your pizza in your baby oven.
{ no insult cuz thats why this question }
yet in a baby oven like what WE have do you use a
stone?
pan?
or just on the rack. <-{never like hate the mess}

in my BIG oven i use a stone and preheat the sucker.
so i wondered if it be the same for a baby oven.

you been making me think PIZZA for a while here.
still thinking ... yet wonder about cooking that crust.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Misses made this today. Strawberry cake. She cut the strawberries into slices then drizzled some Flavour Art Marshmallow and FA Brandy over them then let them sit for an hour or so before making the cake. Delicious.
20200808_170508(1).jpg

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@CaFF i was meaning to ask you...
when you cook your pizza in your baby oven.
{ no insult cuz thats why this question }
yet in a baby oven like what WE have do you use a
stone?
pan?
or just on the rack. <-{never like hate the mess}

in my BIG oven i use a stone and preheat the sucker.
so i wondered if it be the same for a baby oven.

you been making me think PIZZA for a while here.
still thinking ... yet wonder about cooking that crust.

I think it depends a lot on the oven and the crust type you're making. I like a medium-thick but chewy type crust. The convection fan usage tend to dry things out faster, but doesn't brown as well as the straight "bake" setting does. Most commercial pizza is done in convection ovens, but at a very high heat.

Does yours have a fan or just a countertop oven? It looks really nice.

I can only go to approx. 450F in mine, I also got it used and don't have the baking pan it would've come with, just the racks and an old smaller pan, so I improvise.

I use a combo of both setting depending on toppings and thickness to get the results I want. I don't have an actual stone, but do have an 1892 Griswold 12" bail-handle griddle that is smooth as glass and works great as a 'stone', but takes some time to preheat.

I'm lazy, so I tend to cook 'em right on the rack, but using parchment paper to keep the bottom from being over done or sticking to the rack. Also works to allow me to move the pizza around if needed too without a proper paddle. If the bottom needs more heat to rise or brown and is cooked enough, I just pull the paper out.

This thread has some good infos: https://www.chowhound.com/post/homemade-pizza-convection-oven-282306

Whatever works, I say! :D

Last edited:

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I think it depends a lot on the oven and the crust type you're making. I like a medium-thick but chewy type crust. The convection fan usage tend to dry things out faster, but doesn't brown as well as the straight "bake" setting does. Most commercial pizza is done in convection ovens, but at a very high heat.

Does yours have a fan or just a countertop oven? It looks really nice.

I can only go to approx. 450F in mine, I also got it used and don't have the baking pan it would've come with, just the racks and an old smaller pan, so I improvise.

I use a combo of both setting depending on toppings and thickness to get the results I want. I don't have an actual stone, but do have an 1892 Griswold 12" bail-handle griddle that is smooth as glass and works great as a 'stone', but takes some time to preheat.

I'm lazy, so I tend to cook 'em right on the rack, but using parchment paper to keep the bottom from being over done or sticking to the rack. Also works to allow me to move the pizza around if needed too without a proper paddle. If the bottom needs more heat to rise or brown and is cooked enough, I just pull the paper out.

This thread has some good infos: https://www.chowhound.com/post/homemade-pizza-convection-oven-282306

Whatever works, I say! :D
can go up to 500-F and yes a fan.
fits a 13 x 18 baking sheet
never thought of parchment paper.
Tried the stone last night about 1/4 inch to big.
so i have a baking sheet that can work or parchment paper<---LOVE it. less to wash
and can still use da corn meal..

scoots off to add Pizza to the menu.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hubbs got adventurous today and made a pork loin roast in a cooking bag. Chunky boiled potatoes bubbling away in there, and my cornbread just came out of the oven. We gon' have a feast tonight!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wifey lady cooked tonight
Baked Fish with a cream sauce and sautéed zucchini and squash

for desert she did her Grammys apple dumplings... goddamn is that some good stuff
EE3CA6A5-749E-40AB-8868-7763DD596A67.jpeg
73F711B5-4BE4-476B-9633-F8B2CD26E03D.jpeg

487CF3E7-ECEA-46E3-B3CB-4EE8DBF3545A.jpeg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
can go up to 500-F and yes a fan.
fits a 13 x 18 baking sheet
never thought of parchment paper.
Tried the stone last night about 1/4 inch to big.
so i have a baking sheet that can work or parchment paper<---LOVE it. less to wash
and can still use da corn meal..

scoots off to add Pizza to the menu.
We got this little oven from Kmart almost 2 yrs ago for just $99 Aud, around 60 bucks in your money?
Has been awesome. Has a fan you can turn on or off, rotisserie, top and bottom double elements so 4 in total which you can use just the top ones or just the bottom or all at once. You can control any dirrection you want the heat. Top not browned enough then turn on just the top, bottom needs more then switch to just the bottom. Was worth every cent. Has it done some work or what. I dont think they stock them anymore though now so when it goes we'll miss it for sure.There are other brands but only half the size and just 1 rack.
Just noticed the glass needs a clean in the picture. :giggle:
20200809_124814(1)~2.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Tonight's dinner was on the Gas Grill but still if you know how to grill.

View attachment 166480
Love grills, or BBQs as we call them. Gave up on those here in any time of year bar winter cold months. Flies, and I mean FLIES! It wasn't fun. Its a wonder we didnt take off like helicopters we'd flap our arms around that much to keep em off the food. :giggle:
Miss them, BBQs, but not the flies.
We are going out bush tommorow for a get out, cold now but we are going to take some spuds, potatoes, and snags, sausages, and cook them in the coals of a fire. Looking forward to it. ?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tonight was Teriyaki Whole Cut Up Chicken on the grill but was too busy to take pics.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Shrimp, Porcini mushroom, and truffle risotto
Yup that’s what’s for dinner :)
View attachment 166514
Hi. How do you use the truffle? I got some the other day at Aldi, Italian Truffles in a tiny jar, out of curiosity. Never used them before. Do you cook them in or add them last when dishing up?
Im still not sure what I'll use them with. I read about shaving them onto food but whats best to do?
20200811_115721(1).jpg

Our bush cooking today is cancelled, a cold change has hit where we are with rain predicted. Just 10c outside now at midday but the wind is making it feel like zero. I aint going anywhere in that.

VU Sponsors