Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sure some Opeth fans will balk at this, but this is my favorite incarnation of them. Damnation is easily my favorite album of theirs, though Ghost Reveries (the one this song is from) is arguably their penultimate... ...that's when I think they peaked, creatively.

I'm a big fan of Akerfeldt's wintery and somber soliloquies of solitude. The chilling instrumentation compliments his soulful vocal style in a way that just sort of takes my breath away. Not much out there has ever had the hold on me that their music does. I love when they take little moments like this to break away and gaze straight into the darkness beyond one's eyelids. It's extremely dark and heavy stuff, but somehow very soothing in a haunting sort of way. I'm finding it tough to describe the kind of place this music puts me in, but I can say for sure that I like it a lot.

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sure some Opeth fans will balk at this, but this is my favorite incarnation of them. Damnation is easily my favorite album of theirs, though Ghost Reveries (the one this song is from) is arguably their penultimate... ...that's when I think they peaked, creatively.

I'm a big fan of Akerfeldt's wintery and somber soliloquies of solitude. The chilling instrumentation compliments his soulful vocal style in a way that just sort of takes my breath away. Not much out there has ever had the hold on me that their music does. I love when they take little moments like this to break away and gaze straight into the darkness beyond one's eyelids. It's extremely dark and heavy stuff, but somehow very soothing in a haunting sort of way. I'm finding it tough to describe the kind of place this music puts me in, but I can say for sure that I like it a lot.
did not want it to ... or expect it to end at 5:20 !

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Exactly why I enjoy a thread such as this .... the experience!

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a tune that reminds me of reckless youth....
crazy stuff that came out of that **** skin cap...you name it
check out studio version for better sounds IMO..unless you were there...just guessing..lol

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
next time I`ll remember racoon skin cap so as not to be offensive!

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Memories:
ancient indian grounds..almost undisturbed...in the night,
copious amounts of mushrooms...AZ desert...

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

That's perty dang tasty...

Last edited:

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haha, yeah, I know what you mean... ...that solo is gorgeous. The reason the end probably seems so abrupt is because all of the songs on the album sort of tie into each other. The whole thing is basically one full movement.
I will add this to my CD collection for sure.
I just listened to this again...soothing to say the least, and quite intrigued about the entire album.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I will add this to my CD collection for sure.
I just listened to this again...soothing to say the least, and quite intrigued about the entire album.
Well I will just say that the whole album is not like that, but I hope you enjoy it nonetheless. It's one that I hold very near and dear. It's a one-of-a-kind piece of progressive metal. There's really nothing quite like it.

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Betcha a dollar that you ain't never heered thisun' before.

groove:
(pay no attention to the Idiot that was playing with his graphics program)

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Black Dahlia Between the Buried and Queen Theater.

I usually find it really difficult to get too into operatic stuff, but something about this approach gets me there. There's just something really refreshing about it. I more like it for the jazzy components, though I can actually get down with the theatrics, too.

That lead that comes in after the prelude is so damned hooky. Geez. So many really catchy moments.

Last edited:

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Annnnd youtube recommendations took me from that to this.
...I... ....I'm actually kinda okay with this. It's interesting. But really now, youtube? I don't even like Venetian Snares! You can't just take me from prog to breakcore like that. I don't know how to feel about this. They're tryna give me a heart attack with this shit.

Huff-N-Stuff

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seen Blackfoot in concert and they were an opening show for IDRecall...
Such an amazing performance, stole the show IMO..
This video/pictures could have been much better...but chevy power anyhoo..
Listen to the music, songs meaning story, hard life on the road, keep rocking!

VU Sponsors