Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sometimes forget how all over the map these guys have been. On a journey through the ages with Dream Theater right now. I know their whole catalog... ...listened for over a decade. None of it is new to me, but it still surprises me sometimes. I guess they can be described as a group of super-musicians with rotating leaders... ...creatively.

For instance, this was written by the bassist (John Myung) and a lot of the instrumentation was in the hands of a different keyboardist (Kevin Moore) than the one they're more known for (the ever-flamboyant Jordan Rudess.)

And then there was this, which was clearly more the vocalist (James LaBrie) and Jordan Rudess.

And then this, which was more the guitarist (legendary John Petrucci) and drummer (Mike Portnoy.)

And somewhere among all of that there was also this, which is when I think everyone brought their A-game. The album this is off of is their masterpiece. If there's one DT album that I would recommend universally, it's Scenes from a Memory. Hell of a ride in my book. It's one of those albums that you pretty much have to listen to all the way through to appreciate any one track on it, though... ...just put the headphones on and close your eyes.

After that, they kinda got a little corny. Maybe they were always corny. But it's still good!

Last edited:

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Even if the speakers and amp were unearthed...lol...it would not be loud enough...nearest neighbors 1/4 mile away...:(
I have tickets to Black Sabbath...got for Christmas..:):):)
Hey there Huff, I know what you mean about the neighbors. My neighbors are a quarter-mile away.
My Jam Room/Studio is upstairs. All I need to do is move the PA speakers to point out the windows.
All 4000 REAL Watts.
It's awesome! On a winter night, I can irritate folks for several miles.

Of course, I would never do that....

Last edited:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The Strokes - Reptilia

Had to share, cause it's got me movin' this morning. Damn it's a good song.

erika jean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Male artist + female artist = duet
Duet + acoustics + heartfelt lyrics + a cello (always a bonus) = art in it's rawest form.

[EJ]

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gotta love their wide-open little instrumental sections. Conveyance, man. The darkness of Opeth isn't one of folktales and spooky stories, though it can seem that way to those less familiar with their music.

It casts a distinctly human shadow. It's relatable in ways you wish it wasn't. That's what makes it so uncanny and yet, so easy to get emotionally pulled along with. There's a lot of sadness and pain in the melodies and textures... ...the pain that shapes the evils that we see in the world around us. It's not ghosts creeping in the shadows, but rather pieces of ourselves that we try to distance the rest from.

Opeth is what it is not to shock or disturb, but to paint an honest picture of something very real and innate to the human experience. It's genuinely unsettling in its honesty... ...it's the difference between hearing a real, first-hand account of a horrific event face to face and watching a movie based on real events. That's what makes their music so powerful and weighty, for me, anyway.

They seem to understand, better than the most extreme rock/metal bands, the difference between just being big and being truly heavy. It's not a simple matter of energy or loudness. Again, conveyance. Heaviness denotes a particular nuance in conveyance, but not so much in what is conveyed. It's about where they set your chair relative to the stage.

With that in mind, I have a question for ya'll to ponder. Which do you think is heavier? Black Sabbath or Slayer? Which is more visceral? Why is that?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors