Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
thank you so much, those were great. I tried them all, but like the clipconverter one, it does music and video.

I miss being able to save videos and music. Like you said, sometimes music , especially really old recordings , are not available to purchase.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah man, catharsis is a good word. that brutal truth song meant a lot to me as a kid who felt like a triangular peg that the hammer of the world was trying to smash into a round slot. hearing someone fucking yell those words in that tone just felt right, like counselling or therapy. im still living the frenzy daily, but i spend a lot less time 'stuck' in it like i was as a kid. i think meditation was a big factor (i started when i was 14 or so, and get better and better as time goes on).

anyway, heres a mellower track from a band my ex girlfriend just showed me that feels like a keeper...
have a good day @robot zombie i hope three hours is enough for you lol

edit - @anavidfan look into browser extensions that download youtube videos. i havnt tried any recently enough to be of help suggesting anything, but i had one years ago that was just a button on my firefox toolbar that would download whatever video was embedded in the page i was on. super easy.

Last edited:

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@anavidfan I use firefox and have an addon for it

Screenshot 2016-04-22 17.38.13.jpg

Then you can download directly from youtube

Screenshot 2016-04-22 17.39.11.jpg

I also have a dark theme for youtube. All that white really messes with my eyes. :D

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yeah man, catharsis is a good word. that brutal truth song meant a lot to me as a kid who felt like a triangular peg that the hammer of the world was trying to smash into a round slot. hearing someone fucking yell those words in that tone just felt right, like counselling or therapy. im still living the frenzy daily, but i spend a lot less time 'stuck' in it like i was as a kid. i think meditation was a big factor (i started when i was 14 or so, and get better and better as time goes on).
Oh, man. I've had a lot of songs like that. Certain ones just make me think to myself "Hey, maybe these thoughts in my head don't matter as much as I think they do." It's like I just stop caring. "What came over me?"

I also feel the need to point out that a triangular peg can fit into a round slot... ...it just doesn't fill out all of the space. The round peg originally meant for that slot is the one that can't fit into the triangular one, while the triangular one can fit comfortably into either.

track from a band my ex girlfriend just showed me that feels like a keeper...
have a good day @robot zombie i hope three hours is enough for you lol
Haha, thanks, it wasn't a bad day! I got a ton of shit done. And yeh, 3 hours is and it isn't enough.

I am, I suppose, what you would call an "episodic insomniac." The majority of the time, I sleep normally, but once every season, I just stop being able to do that for up to a month at a time. My circadian rhythm is naturally fucked up (my body literally doesn't run on a 24-hour clock,) but I think a lot of it is just due to how I am, mentally.

The thing is... ...they're not even negative thoughts most of the time - just thoughts... ...whizzing by like fish in a shallow stream... ...provoking me to reach out and grab one. If anything, negative thoughts are easier for me to challenge and resist.

It used to drive me mad. I felt like a slave to it. But after many doctor visits, therapy, and medication runs, I've kind of had to come to terms with it. I'll just say this... ...when not being able to get nearly the sleep that your body needs becomes a part of your waking reality for the foreseeable future, you learn a whole lot more about what it really means to take care of yourself... ...you learn very well what your body's limitations are.

I mean, yeah, it sucks. But somehow life goes on. I've experienced far worse. *shrugs*

Almost forgot to mention something I forgot... ...that song reminds me of something that makes me go "OOO! OOO!" but I can't place it. It's driving me crazy because it's really good stuff that I've listened to a lot... ...its very similar in style, too. That's the plight of seeking out too much music at once. I can barely remember what all I was listening to in November!

Oh well. I'll remember when I don't have a chance to listen to it. And then, when I do, I'll forget again...

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@robot zombie agreed on all counts. my thoughts arent all negative or depressing, they just go by so fast, and many of them deserve more attention than i can give them, or want to be let out but dont have the right outlet. i throw away and bottle up way too many things every day. then i think about that and what a waste it is...etc etc neverending high frequency internal noise loop.

heres one before i head out for the night.
glad you enjoyed the goldfrapp @StereoFreeze

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
All this talk of music and emotions brought this great scene from a great movie about music and life.

Tanker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
"Some fools never learn
Play with the fire and your gonna get burned
It's only love when you're loved in return...
Some fools never learn"
~Steve Wariner

Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Listening to this to pick me up instead of having coffee this morning. :D

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thats your second opeth track in recent times @robot zombie, what do you think of the new direction they are going? i really like the monster vocals from older stuff like 'by the pain i see in others', but since heritage, they really took a prog/jazz fusion kinda twist that i also really love.
such a dramatic shift in every aspect. structure, instrumentation, vocals, etc. its like two different bands. for me it was a pleasant surprise, because i like them as musicians. they could prolly play elevator music that appealed to me, but i imagine they lost some (stupid) fans in the transition. i remember when my dying bride did that experimental electronic/trip hop inspired album and everyone got so mad they released a 'normal' album right away to shut everyone up...

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thats your second opeth track in recent times @robot zombie, what do you think of the new direction they are going? i really like the monster vocals from older stuff like 'by the pain i see in others', but since heritage, they really took a prog/jazz fusion kinda twist that i also really love.
I'm an Opeth fan of 14 years, so while I wasn't there for the whole progression, I've been with it long enough to see a trend. To me, Opeth has always had a dynamic sound. There hasn't ever been an album from them that didn't build on what they had established and incorporated new elements. The transition from album to album is very natural to my ears. I don't find it dramatic at all. Sure, if you take an early album and compare it to a recent one, you hear a huge difference, but even then, there are a lot of commonalities as far as sensibilities and ethos go. If you go album by album, their sound branches out quite nicely.

Watershed, Heritage, and Pale Communion are all fantastic albums. Recently, I find myself listening to those more than their older stuff. I've always liked Opeth's proggy side. I think what gets me about Opeth's prog is that it has its own distinct aura... ...it rests on its influences, but it also has its own defining characteristics - they never really play it too safe. That's a big deal to me.

My one gripe with many modern prog bands is that they sound almost exactly like classic prog bands, which isn't exactly in the spirit of what prog is supposed to be about. The thing that differentiates the modern imitators from their influences is the fact that the guys who did it first were innovators who never stayed in one place for long enough to get pinned down. "Prog" was simply a blanket term for a sound that was new and ever-changing. It's a context-dependent term.

So to me, they're a real modern prog band in that they continue to blend and defy genre expectations as well as consistently defy their own norms. There is an actual progression of sounds and ideas strewn across their catalog. Opeth is Opeth. They have a characteristic sound that is in a state of perpetual flux. Opeth has never been a band to rest on their laurels and that's what I like most about them. Every few albums, they enter a new era. And in each era, they explore different regions of one musical continent. When they've mapped out the whole place, they take what they found along the way to a new one.

I like that I never know what they're gonna do next. Much like you, I trust their sensibilities enough to know I'm always in for something good. Åkerfeldt has never really done me wrong. I really admire his work. I think Opeth will always do well with him at the helm. Master of his craft.

I was thrilled when they further developed their jazz, folk, prog, classical and blues elements. Those are my favorite features of their music. I'm all about that mystical, murky, and haunting, sort of 'of-the-soil' sound... ...the stuff that sounds like the smell of rain in a secluded forest. That's what really what defines them for me. They're what make Opeth really stand out as a metal band.

So yes, I love their new albums... ...for the same reasons I loved their old albums, really.

but i imagine they lost some (stupid) fans in the transition.
Oh man, tell me about it. Watershed was controversial enough, though people eventually warmed up to it. People flipped their shit when Heritage came out. I didn't get that at all. I think what happened was a lot of fans who became fans because of Ghost Reveries were upset to learn that what they considered to be Opeth's penultimate wasn't yet followed up with the masterpiece they wanted and in fact seemed to be moving further way from it. I think if they had been more familiar with Opeth's earlier work, Heritage would've made more sense to them. I dunno, man. I'll never understand prog fans who want their favorite bands to never change <_<

I can get why they'd want more of the sound they honed in that era, but at the same time, if you liked what they did there, then you have to respect them continuing to follow the approach that got them there to its natural conclusions.

Speaking of Åkerfeldt, his buddy Steve isn't too bad either.

Last edited:

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@roxynoodle : He wrote Purple Rain right while his father was quite sick, a drunk and a very mean father/man. It was an EXTREMELY emotional song for him. Especially when he played it for the first time at a benefit concert. It came out of him like I've never seen someone sing before. WATCH AS HE ARRIVES LATE JUST AFTER FINDING HIS FATHER DEAD. I highly recommend watching Purple Rain.

Dunno why I'm not seeing the video pic.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...first-performance-purple-rain-video/83346434/

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@roxynoodle : He wrote Purple Rain right while his father was quite sick, a drunk and a very mean father/man. It was an EXTREMELY emotional song for him. Especially when he played it for the first time at a benefit concert. It came out of him like I've never seen someone sing before. WATCH AS HE ARRIVES LATE JUST AFTER FINDING HIS FATHER DEAD. I highly recommend watching Purple Rain.

Dunno why I'm not seeing the video pic.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...first-performance-purple-rain-video/83346434/

Oh, I grew up with Prince's music :) Saw Purple Rain probably 15 times in the theatres. Went to the concert during that tour in 84 or 85. I've always been astonished by his phenomenal talent: mastery of guitar, 3 octave voice, ability to play 30+ instruments. He played every instrument and did every voice on his first album, and many songs recorded since.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, I grew up with Prince's music :) Saw Purple Rain probably 15 times in the theatres. Went to the concert during that tour in 84 or 85. I've always been astonished by his phenomenal talent: mastery of guitar, 3 octave voice, ability to play 30+ instruments. He played every instrument and did every voice on his first album, and many songs recorded since.
The world has lost another band member. I have surpassed 60. Played bass lead and yet still. Breathe. Guess they still fear me.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

He also wrote about 8 songs that different artists sang that were on the charts back then. I saw the video last night. If I find it again I'll post.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They made me try to drive a Prias car. I was scared. They tryed to Toyota me in school. I said Harley is fine.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hey, how do you all post links to show up in here? My url is just there. Couldn't get the video preview to show.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I dont know if this is "right" but I used to be able to save videos from YT, but about a year or so they started using some other type of file that I can save, but cant play, not even with VLC.

Do you guys know if there is some program I can either use to convert them to avi or mpegs?

Okay, Im really done with the country, but this just came on and I love it. Great soundtrack and my favorite Old Timey country. The actual singers are better but cant find it.

Ohhhhhh, I love Soggy Bottom Boys! I sing it out loud...too often. Hubby hates country. I need to watch the movie again. On my 'to-do" list now. :)

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I dont know if this is "right" but I used to be able to save videos from YT, but about a year or so they started using some other type of file that I can save, but cant play, not even with VLC.

Do you guys know if there is some program I can either use to convert them to avi or mpegs?

Okay, Im really done with the country, but this just came on and I love it. Great soundtrack and my favorite Old Timey country. The actual singers are better but cant find it.

LOL...this scene is where they all get 'baptized' again. Love that song too.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My one gripe with many modern prog bands is that they sound almost exactly like classic prog bands, which isn't exactly in the spirit of what prog is supposed to be about. The thing that differentiates the modern imitators from their influences is the fact that the guys who did it first were innovators who never stayed in one place for long enough to get pinned down. "Prog" was simply a blanket term for a sound that was new and ever-changing. It's a context-dependent term.
i just had a discussion with a guy yesterday about djent. we came to a very similar conclusion that you just raised about prog. theres like a hundred djent bands now, to me that all sound like meshuggah cover bands, but they only do chaosphere era meshuggah...and the only innovation is clean/radio friendly vocals with lots of 'wooahwooahwahh' and lyrics that say little/nothing important. i guess thats awesome for some people, but i would prefer to just follow meshuggah and leave all this behind us all while we see whats next.

on that same note though, there have been plenty of times when i was that guy going 'wtf happened? your last album was the pinnacle of 'whatever genre' and now you are doing something different...bawww'...i still wish there was a healthy subculture for all the amazing hardcore/emo/post-punk stuff that we had in the 90s. it seemed to (d)evolve into radio crap too, and now theres no one left doing it the old way. same with classic death/doom. no one makes songs like 'the return of the beautiful' any more...not even my dying bride. i could listen to that shit all day....

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
He also wrote about 8 songs that different artists sang that were on the charts back then. I saw the video last night. If I find it again I'll post.

Oh, I think a lot more than 8. Sometimes he didn't even take credit for them.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i just had a discussion with a guy yesterday about djent. we came to a very similar conclusion that you just raised about prog. theres like a hundred djent bands now, to me that all sound like meshuggah cover bands, but they only do chaosphere era meshuggah...and the only innovation is clean/radio friendly vocals with lots of 'wooahwooahwahh' and lyrics that say little/nothing important. i guess thats awesome for some people, but i would prefer to just follow meshuggah and leave all this behind us all while we see whats next.
Somewhere in this thread, I have a huge diatribe I wrote about the whole Djent movement and I pretty much reached the same conclusion.

The thing I liked about djent in the beginning is that it wasn't really the djent aspect that defined the music (though I gotta admit, I liked the djenting, too.) There were a handful of djent acts all kinda doing their own things with it. It was sort of it's own little progressive metal movement. We were seeing a lot of jazz structures incorporated, some unusual electronic elements, and unconventional lead work popping up and it was all very cool at the time. It was sort of a new wave of progressive metal... ...just sort of a new breed of music - a fresh approach to old ideas. Back then, even bands that didn't have the hall mark "dj djent djdjdj dj djent ent" sound were getting called djent simply for being a progressive metal band with a similar approach.

But over the course of a few years, it started getting watered down. I think by the time people stopped arguing over whether djent was a genre, it was pretty much over. The djenting itself had become the defining characteristic of the movement. And now, Periphery, who were arguably the pioneers of the genre have changed from innovators to the white-bread model of the status-quo. I remember people were eating up all of the new stuff from all of these new bands at the time, meanwhile, I was sitting there thinking "Awwww! What the fuck is this?!" I felt so slighted.

All that being said, I still have a lot of love for Misha's old stuff. That shit was so cool to me at the time. Still is!

on that same note though, there have been plenty of times when i was that guy going 'wtf happened? your last album was the pinnacle of 'whatever genre' and now you are doing something different...bawww'...i still wish there was a healthy subculture for all the amazing hardcore/emo/post-punk stuff that we had in the 90s. it seemed to (d)evolve into radio crap too, and now theres no one left doing it the old way. same with classic death/doom. no one makes songs like 'the return of the beautiful' any more...not even my dying bride. i could listen to that shit all day....
It's sad isn't it? I've seen too many subcultures I was actively involved with thrive and then die to care anymore, but sometimes I like to reminisce about the glory days.

Fortunately, there are always new groups of people getting excited about little-known interesting shit. Sometimes you just gotta move on and try to catch the next wave. I like to think that everything that's mainstream and shitty has a colorful history. It all used to belong to someone before it got devoured by the general public. Sometimes, we do it to ourselves.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@robot zombie i agree as usual. im starting to feel like you and me should be taking long walks on the beach at night and talking about music or something dude. want to hold hands? ;)

my last post made me reminisce about the old days so heres a couple tracks that helped get me through being a kid with problems in his head....

VU Sponsors