Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Turn and run!
Nothing can stop them,
Around every river and canal their power is growing.
Stamp them out!
We must destroy them,
They infiltrate each city with their thick dark warning odour.

They are invincible,
They seem immune to all our herbicidal battering.

Long ago in the Russian hills,
A Victorian explorer found the regal Hogweed by a marsh,
He captured it and brought it home.
Botanical creature stirs, seeking revenge.
Royal beast did not forget.
He came home to London,
And made a present of the Hogweed to the Royal Gardens at Kew.

Waste no time!
They are approaching.
Hurry now, we must protect ourselves and find some shelter
Strike by night!
They are defenceless.
They all need the sun to photosensitize their venom.

Still they're invincible,
Still they're immune to all our herbicidal battering.

Fashionable country gentlemen had some cultivated wild gardens,
In which they innocently planted the Giant Hogweed throughout the land.
Botanical creature stirs, seeking revenge.
Royal beast did not forget.
Soon they escaped, spreading their seed,
Preparing for an onslaught, threatening the human race.

Mighty Hogweed is avenged.
Human bodies soon will know our anger.
Kill them with your Hogweed hairs
HERACLEUM MANTEGAZZIANI

Songwriters: ANTHONY BANKS, MICHAEL RUTHERFORD, PETER GABRIEL, STEVEN HACKETT

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

You're bound to think that I'm on the shore
From a sea that never came
Now's the time to find the time
I've done what has to be done

Voices call the nameless one
Crying all of the time
Tales of no-one in my sleep
Stepping out into the night

But you said you saw Medusa
The one with the head of fire
But the legend of Medusa
Lies in the devils sights

I've got myself to blame
Through talkin' to ya' brother
Too late to say I'll stay
Too late to say I'll bother
Take out your tongue and speak
A friend you ought to keep
Fading forces bared
Now wake before you sleep
Ya' said you saw Medusa
She was looking down on you
But the legend of Medusa
Soon be with you

You're bound to think that I'm on the shore
From a sea that almost came
There's no time to find the time
I have done
I have done
I have done
I have done
I have done
I have done
I...
I...
I have done, I have truely done
I...
I have done, now I have truely done, now I've got to find a way home
Take a good look at my face
Oh
There is no more

Hypnophone

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

No time to stop
Keep on movin'
Whole world is to see
No time to think
Of things that I am missin'
Wherever I go
Black cloud's followin' me

Each and every town
From father's last relations
No-one will not hand us to eat
Ever when I settle down
I ain't got the passions
Wherever I go

I'm a citizen of nowhere
The sky's above my head
I wonder where the grass grows
Looking through the sunshine
'Til my judgement day, my judgement day
Wherever I go
Oh, it's followin' me around
Don't leave me be

No time to think of the things that I am missin'
I've got to keep on movin' along, eh
You know I can't settle down, righty babe
Don't come, come to me

No time to stop
Keep on movin'
Whole world is to see
No time to think
The thing that I am missin'
Wherever I go
The black cloud's followin' me

I'm a citizen of nowhere
The sky's above my head
I wonder where the grass grows
Looking through the sunshine
'Til my judgement day, my judgement day
Wherever I go
You know it's following, following, following me
Don't let me go
Keep over baby

Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Using this to jumpstart my day!

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Using this to jumpstart my day!
I slept on k.dot for years, man. Too much hype. So glad I gave him a chance with TPAB. That album is packed full of lyricism and backhanded spirituality. The instrumentals are fucking ace, too. That was my theme song for like 3 weeks. I listened to TPAB every day. Whenever Alright came on, it was on. Gets me hyped every time.

Also, where the fuck is the song for that intro verse?! I'm all over that thundercat/flylo vibe. He better release that shit at some point.

Been more into GKMC lately tho, ya bish.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
This one is from one of my favorite Bowie Albums. Part of why I always loved the Young Americans album is the strong soul vocals. I never knew that Luther Vandross , Andy Newmark , Ava Cherry, Robin Clark and others I recognized only when I saw it on a documentary.

Musicians such as Carlos Alomar, Carlos Santana, Mike Garson and so many others.

The documentary is called David Bowie " Five Years" Its a BBC film featuring so many great interviews , such as Rick Wakeman, John Harris, Ken Scott, Brian Eno, Robert Fripp and so many other greats.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think one of the commenters on his bandcamp said it best when he called this modern funk that doesn't try to copy the g-funk sound. I love g-funk, but this style is way fresher to me at this point. I like the minimalist retro vibes. It's like the electro-funk of the past... ...exact same sounds and synths, only more polished. Nothing special, but it doesn't have to be. So clean...

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think one of the commenters on his bandcamp said it best when he called this modern funk that doesn't try to copy the g-funk sound. I love g-funk, but this style is way fresher to me at this point. I like the minimalist retro vibes. It's like the electro-funk of the past... ...exact same sounds and synths, only more polished. Nothing special, but it doesn't have to be. So clean...

That was really good, thanks. I know Ive heard that coming out of my sons room.

I see you are a fan of Ghost in the Shell, so am I. I collect toys and love my Ghostie figures

alienqueen-ghostie-026_zps4fd6d2e8.jpg

My Toy Cabinet
cabinetoftoys-001_zpse567167e.jpg

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was really good, thanks. I know Ive heard that coming out of my sons room.
Well now, that really is something. He's digging pretty deep to find stuff like that! I bet he likes some vaporwave, too. I say that because I'm pretty sure that movement is what started a lot of kids on 70's/80's funk, pop, and even jazz. At first, it was meant to be ironic - sort of a stab at consumerist culture, but it has evolved into a more earnest exploration over the years. You used to have to be a hipster to enjoy it, but not anymore. Lotsa stuff that used to be considered a guilty pleasure has become cool again. It's kind of on the fringes of internet music, but the following is going pretty strong. People thought it would die off years ago, but it's only evolved that much more...

So yeah, that's very cool that your son listens to stuff like that. I bet he knows internet music very well to have found it, or even anything like it.

I see you are a fan of Ghost in the Shell, so am I.
The movies are easily among my favorite anime of all time... ...hell, they're my favorite sci-fi pieces of all time. From the moment I saw SAC on tv back in middle school, I was hooked. I kinda wish it hadn't been my introduction to sci-fi anime though... ...nothing else really comes close, heh.

I'm super jealous of that collection. I don't own any figma at all, thought I may have to make some exceptions for GitS...

Still waiting for these two to move more in this direction. An ep of this would be pretty sweet.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well now, that really is something. He's digging pretty deep to find stuff like that! I bet he likes some vaporwave, too. I say that because I'm pretty sure that movement is what started a lot of kids on 70's/80's funk, pop, and even jazz. At first, it was meant to be ironic - sort of a stab at consumerist culture, but it has evolved into a more earnest exploration over the years. You used to have to be a hipster to enjoy it, but not anymore. Lotsa stuff that used to be considered a guilty pleasure has become cool again. It's kind of on the fringes of internet music, but the following is going pretty strong. People thought it would die off years ago, but it's only evolved that much more...

So yeah, that's very cool that your son listens to stuff like that. I bet he knows internet music very well to have found it, or even anything like it.

The movies are easily among my favorite anime of all time... ...hell, they're my favorite sci-fi pieces of all time. From the moment I saw SAC on tv back in middle school, I was hooked. I kinda wish it hadn't been my introduction to sci-fi anime though... ...nothing else really comes close, heh.

I'm super jealous of that collection. I don't own any figma at all, thought I may have to make some exceptions for GitS...

Still waiting for these two to move more in this direction. An ep of this would be pretty sweet.

Both my sons love music and growing up with me they were exposed to all kinds of music, especially the good 80's music, 70's, 60's, and earlier standards and good old timey country and classic music.

There is not much that I dont like. I was always younger than all my cousins and friends so I got exposed to great music. I also grew up on classical because of my Dad, and old black and white films so I love the music from the 1900's, 20s , 30's , 40's and 50's too.

I usually dont like new orchestrated versions of standards, because most artists modernize them or modify them to their style, but this guy, I LOVE
Max Raabe

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
this thread delivers every day <3

Yeap, it sure does. I like when different people share their music. I think all cultures and eras have so much to offer. These days I dont exposed to new stuff because Im kind of an shut in.

I rely on my sons to expose me and to find threads like this.

@mach1ne , never heard that, and its great, reminisent of Krafwerk and Old Thomas Dolby and Gary Numan.

@robot zombie , that one is so funky, made me think of this

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
this thread delivers every day <3
Haha, yeah, it's really gotten good over these past few months. Just a lot more participation from people who listen to all sorts of music. I think we've got a nice melting pot of good tunes cookin up in here now. Last year, this thread had maybe 2 or 3 people actively posting and it thus regularly fell off of the main page. And it really wasn't all that diverse - kinda just the same few people posting the same stuff (VERY good stuff, mind you,) so it's been crazy to watch it blow up like it has! I'm seeing new genres popping up every day and somehow everyone seems to be getting along.

Best music thread I've encountered in a long time... ...truly! This is how a music thread is supposed to be, folks! Ya'll are doing a great job of keeping things moving. The internet is an amazing tool for discovering music. It is seriously crazy how much we have access to... ...just how much you can find by searching and clicking around. This is the best time ever to appreciate music. We live in a time when discovering a few hundred artists in a year's time isn't unheard of. That's INSANE.

I like to think I'm pretty open-minded about what I seek out, but I do tend to get stuck in my own bubble sometimes. That's where threads like this come in.

In the future, I think it'd be cool to start compiling weekly playlists to sort of commemorate the progression of the thread... ...like other forums do, we could have a radio VU. We have enough contributions coming in to do that, now. I dunno, to me it just makes sense. Many people listen to music and browse VU when they do builds. I know if there was a play button somewhere... ...maybe a pop-up player, I'd use it for coiling when I don't know what to put on. That would be pretty tight.

@anavidfan naw, that track you posted is the real deal compared to KOAN Sound, man. Dayum! Also, that Thomas Dolby track was right up my alley. I'mma have to look into him.

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sometimes i just literally post the song thats playing on my side while im in here (portishead+candlemass combo), other times i agonize over what to use as a relevant reply to someone elses post (junius). i agree though, this is a pretty great music thread in terms of both music posted, and discussion. love it <3 lets feeeed it moarrrr myoosik

and something out of left field

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thomas Dolby is mostly remembered for "She blinded me with science" but he really so much more

Gary Numan is also not very well remembered for other than "Cars" He was NIN/ Trent Reznors favorite influences.

Funny both are British and pilots.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
sometimes i just literally post the song thats playing on my side while im in here (portishead+candlemass combo), other times i agonize over what to use as a relevant reply to someone elses post (junius). i agree though, this is a pretty great music thread in terms of both music posted, and discussion. love it <3 lets feeeed it moarrrr myoosik

and something out of left field

That is beautiful, reminds me of a band called Grails, from my favorite albums/ CD

which of course make me remember the Dead Can Dance

Last edited:

Morfio

Gaming & anime watchin' lion here!
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Jamming out to this right now.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Took me 2 tries to get Youtube to start giving me the right genre. Tried to start with Cemetery Gates, great song, yay. Then the next song up went to Stone Temple Pilots, ok good too no biggy. Then to Scarlet Johannson, me standing across the room thinking "umm wtf, but whatever just one random song right?" then Nat King Cole... ok w t f, had to go investigate and saw the order, apparently because they were all "Vevo" official videos is my guess, but either way made me chuckle, from Pantera to Nat King Cole in 4 songs.

roartweetybabe1994

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
might be getting heavy on the Prince music tonight, sad to see another icon go - within a one day span starting with Chyna... there will never be another like the 9th wonder of the world c: reast easy you two!

Raspberry Beret - Prince

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Had these two stuck in my head today, though I didn't actually hear either of them.

Budos Band - Black Venom

Tom Tom Club - Genius of Love

Love that Genius of Love and I too have been having stuck in my head too. Theres a TV ad for something that is using the tune.

I just took a listen of the Budos Band , great sound, love it. Thanks

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Burl Ives is great, most people my age and some younger tend to associate him with the Rankin Bass Holiday shows like Rudolf the Rednosed Reindeer.

I also love Marty Robbins

Of course that leads to so many more

This cover of NIN's Hurt is perfect

I could go on, but this is the last one.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I dont know if this is "right" but I used to be able to save videos from YT, but about a year or so they started using some other type of file that I can save, but cant play, not even with VLC.

Do you guys know if there is some program I can either use to convert them to avi or mpegs?

Okay, Im really done with the country, but this just came on and I love it. Great soundtrack and my favorite Old Timey country. The actual singers are better but cant find it.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
that first track is dope @StereoFreeze

heres whats playing now for me.
rip prince :(

Never heard of them, but then again, where would I ? I do enjoy death metal?, but these days with my psych problems and anxiety I have to be in the right mood or environment or medicated with the good stuff to be able to listen without going into a shaky state of panic.

Somedays I can even handle any music without feeling like something is going to happen.

One of my guilty pleasures is watching Metalocalypse. I dont know if I spelled that correctly, I cant even pronounce it.

Thanks

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@anavidfan i think theres a direct correlation between my psych problems and my love of metal. my mind is usually running at the speed of a dethklok song, and the voice in my head sounds a lot like their singer :p (yeah you spelled that right. great show. the word definitely doesnt roll off the tongue easily). its strangely calming for me to listen to something going as fast as my whole central nervous system feels like its going (when its going like that...which it rarely does now that im older and learned to keep my shit together a bit better).

heres a track that i used as a kid to calm myself down. i admit that this genre specifically can be hard to even listen to, let alone understand, but read the lyrics in the description of the video. most people think they are just saying 'kill your mom' or 'worship satan' but these are words to live by...imo at least.
<3

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont know if this is "right" but I used to be able to save videos from YT, but about a year or so they started using some other type of file that I can save, but cant play, not even with VLC.

Do you guys know if there is some program I can either use to convert them to avi or mpegs?
Dunno if people are still doing video files, but you can rip the mp3 using http://www.youtube-mp3.org/ or http://www.listentoyoutube.com/

I can vouch for those because I've used them for downloading mixes and tracks I literally cannot find anywhere else. I did also find http://www.clipconverter.cc/ which seems to be legit, but I've never tried it.

i think theres a direct correlation between my psych problems and my love of metal. my mind is usually running at the speed of a dethklok song, and the voice in my head sounds a lot like their singer :p (yeah you spelled that right. great show. the word definitely doesnt roll off the tongue easily). its strangely calming for me to listen to something going as fast as my whole central nervous system feels like its going (when its going like that...which it rarely does now that im older and learned to keep my shit together a bit better).

heres a track that i used as a kid to calm myself down. i admit that this genre specifically can be hard to even listen to, let alone understand, but read the lyrics in the description of the video. most people think they are just saying 'kill your mom' or 'worship satan' but these are words to live by...imo at least
I was kinda the same way as a kid. I can definitely relate to the feeling of going too fast. The funny thing is that when I would tell people the genres of music I liked the most, they'd say that I "didn't seem the type." I guess I was generally calm, nice, and cordial, even though my mind was always racing (still is, hah.) It's hard to explain to people how metal doesn't make you an angry or wound-up person and in fact does the opposite. It's cathartic.

To me, its easy enough to understand. The energy that metal brings is good for working some inertia out of your system. I think it works in the same way that sad songs can make a person experience joy.

It kinda bugs me that people have that negative connotation with metal heads... ...some of us are less crazy because we have an appreciation for it. Some of the kindest, gentlest people they know are probably metal heads. Most are simple music nerds at heart :p

I also find that I've chilled out as I've gotten older... ...well, not really - "the frenzy" just feels like my natural pace, now. For a long time, I had a low tolerance for more laid-back music because it couldn't keep up with me. I knew things were changing when I started started really loving that same music. I guess there's something to the way the music people choose correlates to their overall state of mind, just not in the way that it seems... ...I think.

In about 30 minutes I have to start getting ready to work and I've slept 3 hours... ...hooboy. Somehow, I'm still pretty optimistic about this day, though. I haven't done shit in these past two days off. Feel like I just gotta get moving. I'd rather wake-up a little early and chill with some CHON in the background than wake up at the last minute and scramble in dreaded lament... ...it's the little things that make all of the difference in how your day goes, for sure.

VU Sponsors