Become a Patron!

Whiskey's CORNER #2 (#3 will be created 8-1-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When summer hits here, Richmond has four strong farmer's markets.
The sad thing here is that for as much farming that goes on down here, It's all large production (my job). Very few roadside stands,or diversity. Greenbeans, watermelon, squash, tomato, bell peppers and corn. Farmers markets here are pinhooked produce from those farms. At least they let the tomatoes ripen on the vine for some better flavor, instead of being gassed.

Swampfox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We've got a local farmer here that has a roadside barn. He goes over to the left coast farmers market to sell some of his stuff and brings back a load of other farmers crops to stock his stand for the weekend. Great sorta local grown, mostly organic, all the time. My Bride's family has been in the citrus business all their lives so we get our fruit fresh and "relatively" cheap. Also have a local beekeeper about a mile from here and a meat store about 15 miles that butchers local grown beef. Rivers full of fish and all the venison we want. We eat well.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The sad thing here is that for as much farming that goes on down here, It's all large production (my job). Very few roadside stands,or diversity. Greenbeans, watermelon, squash, tomato, bell peppers and corn. Farmers markets here are pinhooked produce from those farms. At least they let the tomatoes ripen on the vine for some better flavor, instead of being gassed.
That's interesting, I harvest usually 3 to 4 to the bunch with 3-4 inches of stem left on. Last year I had a woman give me hell because she would not pay for stems. She could not understand the stem keeps the tomato good longer!

TygerTyger

Official Lurker
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If my Bride don't kick me to the curb by Aug. we'll have 44 years of marital bliss. Not being facetious either.
Very few arguments or rough times in all those years. It's been a nice life.

Wow..... that's some accomplishment, especially by today's standards..... congrats and kudos to both of you.

You're livin' the dream :inlove:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We've got a local farmer here that has a roadside barn. He goes over to the left coast farmers market to sell some of his stuff and brings back a load of other farmers crops to stock his stand for the weekend. Great sorta local grown, mostly organic, all the time. My Bride's family has been in the citrus business all their lives so we get our fruit fresh and "relatively" cheap. Also have a local beekeeper about a mile from here and a meat store about 15 miles that butchers local grown beef. Rivers full of fish and all the venison we want. We eat well.
I'd be all over that venison, fill the freezer

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's interesting, I harvest usually 3 to 4 to the bunch with 3-4 inches of stem left on. Last year I had a woman give me hell because she would not pay for stems. She could not understand the stem keeps the tomato good longer!
Our harvest consists of a 52' flatbed with a bunch of 48" X 48" X 36" bins, and a small army of Mexicans, and see how fast they can fill up the bins with the appropriate sized green tomatoes. Flavor is secondary, shelf life is paramount.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I make it to Vermont this summer we may get to meet up yet. We'll take the ferry over and you can pick the place. I know I'm probably going to get to Detroit so it's just a matter of whether or not we can get to Vermont and back home between infusion treatments.
My fingers are crossed, I'm up for a ferry ride across the lake if it saves you time

Last edited:

Spyg0at

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I lived in Jacksonville, FL for 12 years. Loved it. I used to ride to NY to see my folks every other month. Spots on 95 through GA (especially) have no place for cops to hide. I remember doing 165 for quite a while on those stretches.

Swampfox

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wonderful, You want to see the ADK's I am smack dab there, could hook you up to a few places to go to see the sights as well
Now that would be a real treat. Unless it's snowing of course.

lol-045.gif

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd have to look for the name of the place but it's gotta be near the lake.
Which lake? I only ask as I live in VT, rift across the lake from whiskey.

PS whiskey, we have a pretty decent size farmers market here every Saturday that's about 5 minutes from the Vt side of the Port Kent ferry if you're looking for a day trip. Anything and everything for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors