Status
Not open for further replies.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't have any lies to tell. Biggest thing I ever let loose on deck was a 12' Tiger shark & he was pissed. Shrimping is like Xmas at someone elses house. You will get something but your never sure what it will be. Rotfl

Been in the water, too close with a few of them. I love sharks but damn if tigers don't have a bad attitude especially if your in their house.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We were after a paying catch. Never hurt any creatures that were not shrimp. Had eels try to bite me & other crap, but we did take home flounder & other fish for food. We wasted nothing.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yea, ran me up to the wheelhouse. Captain took care of it with a 12 ga. Had to rinse the inside of my rain gear out!.

Wish someone had my back like that all I had between it and me being a snack, or at least an investigatory bite was a large camera. Luckily he figured out I wasn't an easy meal and moved on. Made for some good video though.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yea, certain things in life stand out. A shark can move forward on a wet steel deck. A 12" x 2" stopped him from me being a snack.

Their determination is unmatched, which is why I am such and admirer of them. I was born in '77 saw Jaws when I was very, very young and have been absolutely fascinated ever since. Which is kind of odd because as soon as I was of age the first thing I did was learn to dive and hopped in the water with them.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sharks are Gods most perfect eating machine. Some are just mean. Anyone says different is lying. Tigers will kill for fun.

Agreed, they are one of the only sharks that will actively hunt and consume humans rivaled only by the oceanic whitetip. People fear the great white but most of the people killed by them are bitten and released and then die from blood loss.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For sure, I have seen Octopi/Octopus' do puzzles that would stump some people. If you can't tell I am an animal lover with a particular fascination with the ocean.
I can see that. We let them go back into the sea. We had one we called Oscar. He was cool. I have spent an entire life knowing ships from every aspect there is. Submarines also. I claim nothing, but I know a little. Ohh, Skinnard commin' up next.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The gift I have to know ships is a passion of the mind. That is all. Been on USS Corpus Christi. Sub. Been on some really big boats for work. Dropped from Helicopters on a cable to repair their Nav gear computers. That was Bitchin! $120.00 an hour. :bliss:I know the Liners, & about everything else. Never been on one. :(

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I can see that. We let them go back into the sea. We had one we called Oscar. He was cool. I have spent an entire life knowing ships from every aspect there is. Submarines also. I claim nothing, but I know a little. Ohh, Skinnard commin' up next.

Yeah I get a little over zealous when talking about it, and I apologize if I sound know-it-all(ee) is that a word. :)

Just rarely do people ever talk about it. Submarines are really cool as well know very little about them but have visited the one at Seawolf Park in Galveston several times. Very cool stuff that and old battleships we have the USS Texas near here as well.

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The gift I have to know ships is a passion of the mind. That is all. Been on USS Corpus Christi. Sub. Been on some really big boats for work. Dropped from Helicopters on a cable to repair their Nav gear computers. That was Bitchin! $120.00 an hour. :bliss:I know the Liners, & about everything else. Never been on one. :(

That's really cool never knew there was one in Corpus I have never been there which is odd since I am right up the coast.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of the sweetest times I ever had working was in the engine room of SKS Tweed. Bulker. Nice craft. Built three new computers for that ship. On the ship. They brought the parts to me as I kicked back & waited. Captain was so pleased he gave me an extra 100. bonus. :):cool:

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
One of the sweetest times I ever had working was in the engine room of SKS Tweed. Bulker. Nice craft. Built three new computers for that ship. On the ship. They brought the parts to me as I kicked back & waited. Captain was so pleased he gave me an extra 100. bonus. :):cool:

Wow just googled it that's a hell of a vessel, really cool stuff. If I could've ever landed a gig like that it would've been like playing at work!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got lucky. Live less than 3 miles from Billy Gibbons. ZZ Top Billy. Been playing BASS for 46 years. I may know him, I may not. I worked my ass off to take the Coast Guard tests, just to be lowered onto a ship. I made a lot of $$$ Made a Kid drive a Truck. He is going to be famous. You can do anything you want if you try hard enough. :cool::banana:

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I got lucky. Live less than 3 miles from Billy Gibbons. ZZ Top Billy. Been playing BASS for 46 years. I may know him, I may not. I worked my ass off to take the Coast Guard tests, just to be lowered onto a ship. I made a lot of $$$ Made a Kid drive a Truck. He is going to be famous. You can do anything you want if you try hard enough. :cool::banana:

I love me some ZZ Top, I had a lot of things I wanted to do but family had a welding shop here in town so that's what I did. Family first and all that but it has made me a good enough living where I can chase other stuff like diving and drag racing. Hell the cars in ZZ Tops videos are probably one good reason I turned into such a gear head.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a machine shop 20' away from me. No one to run it anymore. Uncle died. I do Motorcycles & computers. I will pm you with some info/

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Well now, I can see a party already. :bliss:

Absolutely, it's been a hell of a good time talking with you and to find out your just up the road is awesome as well. I will have to stop in here more often that's for sure, I'm kind of new here so just now finding my way around. And I hate to break and run during the middle of it but I have church in the AM and have had me more than a few beers this evening so I better run.

Have a good night and I'll catch ya later for sure. :cheers:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oreo crumb pie crust, with chocolate moose filling, topped with a custard whipped topping. High speed mixer makes the topping peaks. 7.00 20 minutes.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well that's creepy. Saw a headlight come up the drive. It was dimmer than normal. I went outside to see who it was. Nothing there. I smelled exaust. The drive was empty.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Frog is out there, pushing 40 Tons of steel down the highway. Bringing people things they would not have if not for him. 2:05 CDT. DAMN COOL i think. :cool::bliss:

LOveWerks

Music Poet; Prose Addict; Team Supporter; Vapester
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
"The Mad Quote Guy is still on the loose!
Stop me before I quote again!"

Oh, my @#*^%@! word... the locking tuners and trem (after I intonated the axe by ear) are BUTTER! No more screw-in tremolo arm ('whammy bar,' to old musical hipsters like myself) - just slide it in, like a Wilkinson or Floyd Rose tremolo - and it STAYS where you want it.

(Note: Floyd Rose tremolos are for aggressive, heavy rock/metal players; the standard Floyd Rose setup requires a Floyd Rose locking nut - normally, a nut is a bone, plastic or graphite string spacer at the beginning of the fretboard, under the headstock and tuners.

Floyd Rose locking nuts require you to have an Allen wrench to unlock three Allen screws, that hold the metal locking plates down over the metal nut's saddle; each one locks down two strings, and - due to the tremolo's design - there are six 'mini tuners' on the tremolo itself for 'convenience,' should your tremolo springs move on their hooks inside your axe, and make your guitar need a slight tuning adjustment... :gaah:

I had two guitars back in the '80s that sported those INFERNAL trems, a Kramer and an Ibanez... yes, they worked well, but they broke more strings than the Wilkinson, Fender, or the Maestro Lyre trems - the Maestros were found on pre-millennial Gibson SGs, like Angus Young's axe he played with AC/DC.

Floyd Rose trems require you to cut off the string's circular metal anchor - or 'ball end,' to insert into the locking spaces in the bridge's string saddles - once again, break out your Allen wrench to lock your strings into the tremolo... :xD: What a pain-in-the-@$$. The tension on Floyd Rose trems make it nearly impossible to use it with locking tuners - even Sperzels. Worse, it can void Sperzel's warranty.

I know. TMI. If there are guitar gearheads in our Corner, celebrate. If not - my most humble apologies.)

My Strat has a two, instead of three-spring trem (a trick I learned from Jeff Beck in a Guitar Player magazine article, circa 1976). It enables the tremolo to float up two whole steps (the strings pitch), and dive-bomb down to sloppy-string growl... I adjusted the bridge saddle height lower, so it still plays easy.

Otherwise, you'll think you're playing an old Silvertone with a bad case of neck warp.

This axe is going to be customized, and uniquely mine own. The fret spacing, and compound radius are MY specs. 24 frets will enable me to have extended playing range similar to John Petrucci, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani.

I'm trained in Jazz, but... you gotta play what the crowd likes. I like either super-clean tone with compression for added sustain, like Walter Becker of Steely Dan; or, singing, smooth distortion like Carlos Santana, Steve Lukather, or Allan Holdsworth.

The slightly shorter scale will make this Strat GREASY like a PRS, but the sound will be like Eric Johnson playing "White Cliffs Of Dover," when the tone is in overdrive.

I'm so STOKED. I'm sure that anyone who reads this post will have bleeding eyes, but, have a heart - I play other instruments, like keyboards, and I won't drag all of you through my other instrumental talents...

Liz is happy for me. Our house is full of my music now, and gigs are on the way. I'm really happy, because when I'm playing and singing - I'm in this special, wondrous place where even my chronic pain cannot invade.

I may hurt afterward. Just give me Lidocaine patches, Liz's love, and more of my special, incredible wonderment while I make joyful noises. When I'm in my 'creative mode,' more songs are written; I locate my 'center,' and peace permeates from inside of me.

LOveWerks and Liz Wonder, signing out...

Good morning, everyone. :wave:

LW & Liz :hug:

LW & Liz are quoting, and sneaking posts in yet again... just remember that we love everyone here, and this past week has been doctor appointments, more people installing solar apparati; and, re-wiring EVERYTHING to meet code for our county in Colorado (the inspector must be getting a stipend from the power company...!), and...

My mother-in-law is spending the night again, which Liz and I enjoy immensely (no joke - she's a great lady, and she brought four HUGE NY Strips for me to cook for dinner - with baked potatoes, and corn-on-the-cob... super YUM) - she loves my cooking, and everything was PERFECT.

I created a grilling contraption recently that uses a piece of a grill top (wide splines), that I rest on top of a baking pan with about an inch or two of water in it (for juicy steaks, and longer cook-time), and I pre-heat it HOT in the oven's broiler, to create beautiful grill marks on the steaks; the steaks are dry-rubbed before cooking in garlic, salt, white pepper - with dried chives, parsley, and a touch of cilantro from our garden - then, refrigerated uncovered - for four hours, or so.

When the water level in the baking pan gets down to a half an inch, I don my oven mitts - pull out the top rack with my contraption, and place the steaks sideways on my piece of grill top. The grill top is hot, so: two minutes; flip, two minutes; flip, two minutes; flip vertical, two minutes; flip vertical.

Done. Four beautifully-marked, medium-rare steaks. Corn is finished cooking, and the potatoes go BEEP in the convection microwave.

Prepare, serve, eat (silverware and napkins placed by Liz).

Enough of my culinary exercise. :rolleyes:

BishopCastle.jpg

This is where I'm playing music 1 October, 10 - 4. Getting up to the castle's Acoustic Room wears me out; the higher altitude will make me have to do breathing exercises (we're getting there early), but -

It's my first Colorado gig :bliss:.

In the gorgeous San Isabel National Forest, with a beautiful lake nearby. Fishing rods and lures? Done.

I'm ready :stars:.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LW & Liz are quoting, and sneaking posts in yet again... just remember that we love everyone here, and this past week has been doctor appointments, more people installing solar apparati; and, re-wiring EVERYTHING to meet code for our county in Colorado (the inspector must be getting a stipend from the power company...!), and...

My mother-in-law is spending the night again, which Liz and I enjoy immensely (no joke - she's a great lady, and she brought four HUGE NY Strips for me to cook for dinner - with baked potatoes, and corn-on-the-cob... super YUM) - she loves my cooking, and everything was PERFECT.

I created a grilling contraption recently that uses a piece of a grill top (wide splines), that I rest on top of a baking pan with about an inch or two of water in it (for juicy steaks, and longer cook-time), and I pre-heat it HOT in the oven's broiler, to create beautiful grill marks on the steaks; the steaks are dry-rubbed before cooking in garlic, salt, white pepper - with dried chives, parsley, and a touch of cilantro from our garden - then, refrigerated uncovered - for four hours, or so.

When the water level in the baking pan gets down to a half an inch, I don my oven mitts - pull out the top rack with my contraption, and place the steaks sideways on my piece of grill top. The grill top is hot, so: two minutes; flip, two minutes; flip, two minutes; flip vertical, two minutes; flip vertical.

Done. Four beautifully-marked, medium-rare steaks. Corn is finished cooking, and the potatoes go BEEP in the convection microwave.

Prepare, serve, eat (silverware and napkins placed by Liz).

Enough of my culinary exercise. :rolleyes:

View attachment 62463

This is where I'm playing music 1 October, 10 - 4. Getting up to the castle's Acoustic Room wears me out; the higher altitude will make me have to do breathing exercises (we're getting there early), but -

It's my first Colorado gig :bliss:.

In the gorgeous San Isabel National Forest, with a beautiful lake nearby. Fishing rods and lures? Done.

I'm ready :stars:.

Love ya crazy musician type guy. Im here !

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors