Whiskey's Corner#3

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Years ago, I had some involvement with Rockbox.

http://www.rockbox.org/

YEARS before Apple got around to it, I was able to watch video on my Ipod. And use the calculator. And play Doom. And use Paint, and a word processor, or play one of nearly 50 games. All running faster and better than anything Apple made. It even incorporated a Gameboy emulator, so you could use your Ipod to play all your old Gameboy games.

Oh, did I mention that Itunes was unnecessary? You could just drag and drop your music and video files directly onto the Ipod. Even in Linux.

Apple's response? Did you guess:

"Wow! Look at all this amazing stuff that we never even thought of incorporating! And these guys do it for fun!!

We need to up our game here at Apple, and begin thinking outside the Mac Box!!

If that's what you guessed, you'd be wrong. It was more like:

" Who the fuck do these meddlesome geeks think they are????? I'm Steve fucking Jobs! Have our corporate assassin in my office in one hour! Cancel that March of Mofkng Dimes shit for this afternoon. And the lawyers. Bring the lawyers to me as well, I don't care if the fucking Kracken is still in Beta, release that bad boy too!! And get me another black turtleneck, without Albanian Latte stains on it!!

What Apple's actual response was, after the courts determined that after a person bought an Apple product, they could do whatever the fuck they liked with it, was to "Show Us!!!".

By encrypting the bootloader so that only "official" Apple firmware could be loaded.

Unfortunately for Apple, they never paused to consider that if amateur hobbyists could write not just an alternative OS for the Ipod, but an entire platform that worked on MULTIPLE different devices, and Apple was still trying to make video function, that perhaps they lacked the brain power to actually design a encryption system, that would not be trivial to overcome. Which of course, is what happened.

Over, and over, and over, Apple getting more and more poo-faced each time, and doubling down on exercising their God given right to make really expensive, under-performing shit.

Wismec/Joyetech have not been this way. They don't directly endorse open source firmware, but they realize the benefits to themselves, and their customers, that open source provides. They understand, that if they had imaginations, they would not be "Big fkn Business"..

Thus endeth todays rant.

Last edited:

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
In 10 min I'm off till 5 am due to the bullshit at the shipper yesterday. Told my travel agent that after the bs at the shipper yesterday I need a shower and real food and by then I'll have no clock left.

I was gunna get a shower last night at the ta I was planning on going to after I got loaded but that plan took a dump...

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Whiskey, I'm enjoying nice weather here for a change. Going to walk the river bank east towards Richmond with my dogs, there is some Civil War artifacts along the bank. About a 1/4 mile east of here there are stone steps on the bank going into the river. Supposedly there was a Confederate cannon outpost there during the war.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We are getting some much needed rain right now. Can't complain about our weather, it's been awesome:)
Have fun with the treasure hunt!!:bliss:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
tumblr_n7iwpehhZg1s2yegdo1_400.gif

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
OK picked up a buncH of shit. Spent money that could have gon to a TV...

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is GREAT to hear, Breazy!!!:hearts::hearts:
Well let's see how it goes in a few days. He moves to sober living and it's right on the Rutgers campus ! Surrounded by Frat houses and parties ! Kids that are there seem to be doing good anyway so we shall see grasshopper !

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sweeeeeet I got aload that don't pick up till 5 p. Tomorrow and it's just going to Columbus for a tcall I need to get this pos truck in the shop anyways

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You find anything, Vapin?
Nope, but those stone slab steps interest me, had to have been people on the land sometime in the past, I have a very good friend that is a pro artifact hunter, he has many metal detectors and tons of experience. I'm going to invite him over to walk the land and get his opinion. It's been long thought that the Army of the South had cannon here as defense of Richmond, 4 miles east of here there is a under water dam named Botchers Dam built by the South to protect Richmond.

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Turns out I trashed a coax. So I directly wired it to the antenna and used my radios built in swr meter and I'm around a 1.5 swr ( that's good for not touching the antenna)

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope, but those stone slab steps interest me, had to have been people on the land sometime in the past, I have a very good friend that is a pro artifact hunter, he has many metal detectors and tons of experience. I'm going to invite him over to walk the land and get his opinion. It's been long thought that the Army of the South had cannon here as defense of Richmond, 4 miles east of here there is a under water dam named Botchers Dam built by the South to protect Richmond.
Way I heard it, the south didn't loose the war, just said fuck it & went home.

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I drove a while, dropped a loaded trailer grabed an empty then installed an antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors