Whiskey's Corner#3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boattlebot

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got back to the dc and they shut us down for wind. Blew over one of our trucks runnin south. Drivers ok truck not so much from what I've heard, so dinner time and gnight

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning, Breazy,Mark, Frog:wave:<3
tumblr_nbzq6ifieM1rub0hvo1_500_zpsojbrgmgl.jpg

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know what you mean. A childhood friend's father took his own life - by parking a 1966 Plymouth Valiant in a one-car garage, door closed. His reason, aside from his alcoholism: folk music had crossed over to Top 40, thanks to Peter, Paul & Mary - and not long after, Bob Dylan.

My friend's father was a folk musician who traveled in the same circles as Pete Seeger and Arlo's father, Woody. He was well-known in my neck-of-the-woods, and even played a folk festival in N. Adams with a young, budding songwriter named James Taylor.

My childhood friend wanted to be a drummer. As luck would have it, I had an older chum who taught me how to play drums. I was already taking guitar and piano lessons - like now, music was flowing through my veins - so, I taught him.

It was then that he answered my unasked question: "Where's your dad?"

He showed me pictures of his father, and even played an album that his father was featured on. It explained why a kid - younger than me, by a year - acted like an old sage. His mother dated - even had one fellow move in with her - but, he wasn't long for leaving because of the insurmountable baggage that she carried.

My friend was her only child. He had some of the most raunchy, hilarious comedians of that time on LPs.

In turn, he cracked all of us up, too. He analyzed life like a man of fifty. He was great to play music with. We stuck a mic in front of him not for singing (he couldn't) - but, for commentary:

One time: "See that girl over there?" We all answered 'yeah,' and he said: "She can't be Catholic - there's no panty lines."

He was funnier than many. That gig just happened to be at a Catholic Junior High School mixer (BEFORE THE ADVENT OF CO-ED CATHOLIC SCHOOL). Even the Priest laughed, before he came to me and said: "Tell your drummer to be careful. The Monsignor is coming to the mixer. Okay?"

I replied, "Yes, Father."

In one year, he became the hottest drummer in our area (he was twelve).

We gigged through high school. Those were the days...

Pray for @Breazy_Com's son, and I'm out. Liz is getting hungry... since it's getting late, leftovers are looking pretty good -

LW & Liz :hug:
Good morning!!:wave:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys! It's been forever! Damn computer broke and I hate this app. So within an hour or two I should have my laptop back. What did I miss??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Oh this and that , glad you'll be up and running again soon with the laptop:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors