Become a Patron!

Wire -- Quality -- Sources

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I keep running across a bunch of threads where people are asking about the good wire / best wire to use for coil building. Now we have a "sticky" thread that will be updated with the wire suppliers and opinions of quality.

Advanced Vape Supply

• Good quality wire, clean, no complaints
  • SS316L
  • Offer advanced pre-built coils and specialty wire.
  • Direct, Ebay
AtomizerWicks
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, Titanium, Nickel (Ni200), SS317L
  • Offer advanced pre-built coils and specialty wire.
  • SANDVIK™ KANTHAL™ wire | Smelted in Sweden and Milled in the US
  • Direct, Amazon, Ebay
  • VU Coupon Code - "underground" || 10% Off
Coil Society
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, Nickel (Ni200), Nifethal 70 (Alloy 120), SS316L
  • ?? SANDVIK™ KANTHAL™ wire ??
  • Direct
Crazy Wire Company (UK)
  • Complaints of dirty wire and poor spooling methods -- 9
  • To many to list --- even SS Mesh
  • Offer advanced specialty wire
  • Direct, Amazon (UK), Ebay
Fast Fog Supply Co
  • This wire is Lighting Vapes (directly from them) and branded as Fast Fog Supply Co.
    This information came directly from Lightning Vapes.
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, Stainless Steel, Nickel (Ni200)
  • Direct, Amazon
KBee Vapes Wire
  • Complaints of dirty wire and cheap quality.
    More recently, some of our notorious builders are seeing a cleanup of the wire quality though. 20 21
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, Nickel (Ni200), Titanium, SS316L
  • Offer some specialty wire
  • Direct, Amazon, Ebay
Kidney Puncher
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 60 & 80, Nickel (Ni200), Nifethal 70, Titanium, Silver, SS316L
  • Offer advanced pre-made coils and specialty wire
  • SANDVIK™ KANTHAL™ wire | Smelted in Sweden and Milled in the US
  • Direct
Lightning Vapes
  • Many people have not had issues. It seems to be hit / miss.
    Some complaints of dirty wire, and some smaller gauge wire being spooled poorly.
    17 27 28
  • Offer some specialty wire
  • Direct, Amazon, Ebay (limited)
Master of Clouds
  • [unknown data points -- yet]
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, Nickel (Ni200), SS316L
  • Direct, Amazon, Ebay
Pure Atomist
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, SS316L
  • Direct, Amazon, Ebay
Stealth Vape (UK)
  • Offer advanced pre-made coils and specialty wire
  • Direct
TEMCo
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80
  • SANDVIK™ KANTHAL™ wire
  • Direct, Amazon, Ebay
Twisted Messes
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 80, Anarchist Competition Wire (AN80)
  • Offer advanced pre-made coils
  • Direct
UD/Youde
  • Various and abundant sources.
Volcano Wire
Zivipf (Germany)
  • Kanthal A1, Nichrome 60, Nichrome 80, SS430, SS304, SS316L, SS317L, Titanium, NiFe30, NiFe48, Nickel (Ni200), Silver
  • Offer advanced pre-made coils and specialty wires
  • Direct
----------------------------------------------------------
New Members / Inquiring Minds
You can quickly search this thread for specific comments regarding a vendor. Just use the "search" feature at the top right of the forum and select "Search this thread only" and then enter the search word.
upload_2017-3-6_10-38-25.png

** DISCLAIMER **

I am not branding any of the above manufacturers as "bad" or telling anyone not to purchase from specific manufacturers. This is just a collection of manufacturers, feedback, and were to purchase.
If you feels that the feedback is not warranted, please comment below so that everyone can discuss.
I'll then update with the general consensus.

** KANTHAL™ -- Trademark & Patent Enforcement **
TEMCo Industrial - Enforcement Link

Last edited:

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Advanced Vape Supply
only 316L
complex wires (clapton,twisted,fused clapton, braided and more) in spools and lengths
Alien clapton coils made by @raymo2u

Direct and ebay

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've got several spools from LV, no dirty wire and no spooling problems.
I don't see a point branding them as bad because one or two customers had a problem.

You forgot about TEMCo

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Deucesjack @KingPin! --- Deuce I think your in the UK, don't 100% recall though. I know KingPin is.
I need some input on GB / EU wire suppliers if you can offer up any input.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've got several spools from LV, no dirty wire and no spooling problems.
I don't see a point branding them as bad because one or two customers had a problem.

You forgot about TEMCo
I agree with your statement, as I've ordered 90% of my wire from LV so far and have not had any issues. However, there are pictures of spool issues and builders cussing their wire. And I'm not branding any of them as "bad" ... just reporting the collected / seen responses.

I have purchased KA1, Ni80, SS316L wire from LV so far in 100-500' spools. I have purchased one spool of 1000' SS316L 36g. 24-36g of all of the listed types. So far, none of the wire purchased was dirty and none of the spool have been dorked up. My purchases have come from Amazon (Prime) as well as directly from LV.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe Youde/UD wire. Not because I know where it falls on the list of good/bad but because it's available from many places. People are liable to run into it. It's what I've been using and seems to work well. I have limited experience though, only used one spool of it (316L) and it's been clean as in not full of oil, spooled just fine with no major issues. Maybe it's shit wire and I don't know because I've never used anything else lmao.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Maybe Youde/UD wire. Not because I know where it falls on the list of good/bad but because it's available from many places. People are liable to run into it. It's what I've been using and seems to work well. I have limited experience though, only used one spool of it (316L) and it's been clean as in not full of oil, spooled just fine with no major issues. Maybe it's shit wire and I don't know because I've never used anything else lmao.
Yes, they should be listed. This list is not about calling out the "bad" --- it's about giving a centralized place to find what is available.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've purchased Master of Clouds wire via Amazon. 1 spool each of KA1 24g and Ni80 24g. .
Both were clean (no oils, no dirt/other when "white glove" wiped with a white dish cloth). I have no negative feedback based on those two spools.

Both wire types were very near the resistance that steam-engine.com calculated when I wrapped standard micro (spaced and contact) coils.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@Deucesjack @KingPin! --- Deuce I think your in the UK, don't 100% recall though. I know KingPin is.

Stealth vape best in the uk I've found for wire absolutely spotless not cheapest though but worth the money tend to get 50% free with any purchase plus some free wire and a small bag of muji cotton as well as other free stuff

Just bought some Kanthal and NI80 from the CrazyWire Company only because stealth vape is a little online shop so runs out of stock often (that and it's really popular over here) ....not that impressed with it to be honest kanthal was really dirty had to wipe each cut I made with vodka before I did anything and I hate wasting vodka especially as I only had a decent bottle of the stuff
NI80 looks ok though although they wound 100m on a small spool so it just wants to uncoil meh but it's a lot cheaper than stealth vape and you can get pretty much anything you are after there

Delivery was quick with both companies

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nah, man I'm from Brooklyn and I currently reside in Queens. UK is across the pond for me.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Nah, man I'm from Brooklyn and I currently reside in Queens. UK is across the pond for me.

Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all it's flavour.

-William Cowper
Thanks for clearing my error. :D

Ok KingPing! Across the pond is up to you unless there are other UK / EU peeps that want to chime in.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@conanthewarrior

I know Conan is a fellow uk Vaper ...pretty sure he also buys from stealthvape and not sure if he has tried elsewhere

(tagged hope that's ok Conan ...just checking these days as some people don't like being tagged and I was recently ask not to tag someone)

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Stealth vape best in the uk I've found for wire absolutely spotless not cheapest though but worth the money tend to get 50% free with any purchase plus some free wire and a small bag of muji cotton as well as other free stuff

Just bought some Kanthal and NI80 from the CrazyWire Company only because stealth vape is a little online shop so runs out of stock often (that and it's really popular over here) ....not that impressed with it to be honest kanthal was really dirty had to wipe each cut I made with vodka before I did anything and I hate wasting vodka especially as I only had a decent bottle of the stuff
NI80 looks ok though although they wound 100m on a small spool so it just wants to uncoil meh but it's a lot cheaper than stealth vape and you can get pretty much anything you are after there

Delivery was quick with both companies
Stealth Vape -- Added
CrazyWire Co --- Updated - Thank you.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Stealth Vape -- Added
CrazyWire Co --- Updated - Thank you.

Careful with crazy wire company mate hold on I'll pull all of thier companies they run through but exactly the same products sold in each

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

pagandevil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I agree with your statement, as I've ordered 90% of my wire from LV so far and have not had any issues. However, there are pictures of spool issues and builders cussing their wire. And I'm not branding any of them as "bad" ... just reporting the collected / seen responses.

I have purchased KA1, Ni80, SS316L wire from LV so far in 100-500' spools. I have purchased one spool of 1000' SS316L 36g. 24-36g of all of the listed types. So far, none of the wire purchased was dirty and none of the spool have been dorked up. My purchases have come from Amazon (Prime) as well as directly from LV.
I've purchased from lv and fast fog. I know they are, in effect, the same company. I've had no issues with larger gauge SS from lv, but the 26 gauge i got from fast fog was crap. Dirty wire, and no matter what i build or on what atty, the resistance jumps constantly. I used about 20 ft of a 100 ft roll messing with it and finally just threw it away. Could be a one off, not sure. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
resistance jumps constantly
I've been questioning some of my recent 26g and 28g wire from them. Some of the SS316L wire that I recently purchased was clean, but the resistance between coil builds is way different (same coil type, same wraps, same everything... 0.1Ω difference --- not 0.01Ω) ...

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Just mounted up a fused clapton using Kanthal A1 cores and NI80 wrap purchased from the crazy Wire Company
steam engine says my build should come to 0.2715 my geekvape reader is reading 0.27 so it's bang on about to wick it and vape on it assume it's fine unless I report back ...as I said earlier kanthal was dirty had to wipe it down NI80 looks clean though, and dry burn went well no hotspots at all heated straight away and evenly ...I'll put that down to my coil build though lol

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have had good and bad wire from kbee. the first stuff made my fingers black (which doesnt really matter because i clean the coils before i use them no matter how clean the wire looks/feels), and was poorly spooled. the higher gauge stuff was troublesome. i could feel kinks passing through my fingers as i built, and experienced a lot of breaks.

tried them again and they have a new logo, no black fingers, and so far so good in terms of spooling and breaks (perfect wire so far).

heres a pic. old logo on the left, new logo on the right
Capture.PNG

im not saying its great or good or bad, or better than anything else...just noting a huge change from one order to the next.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i have had good and bad wire from kbee. the first stuff made my fingers black (which doesnt really matter because i clean the coils before i use them no matter how clean the wire looks/feels), and was poorly spooled. the higher gauge stuff was troublesome. i could feel kinks passing through my fingers as i built, and experienced a lot of breaks.

tried them again and they have a new logo, no black fingers, and so far so good in terms of spooling and breaks (perfect wire so far).

heres a pic. old logo on the left, new logo on the right
View attachment 76047
im not saying its great or good or bad, or better than anything else...just noting a huge change from one order to the next.

I have noticed that in the past month Kidneypunher N80 Ribbon/Square wire has been pretty fucked up coming off the spool...Ive shown a ton of people on my livestreams on Instagram about it....and that Kbee wire has stepped up by a large margin....much cleaner then ever and comes off the spool straight...hopefully this is how it is from now on.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you have UD wire listed as quality, I have had bad luck with their quality and it's been filthy more times than not. I stopped using it a while ago

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sorry --- in the programming world, the { } is a variable --- aka ... needs filled in / no data to apply for value. :)

My bad -- I gotta remember that not everyone will know that. Fixing it
Aah got you.
There's a lot of posts about the Kidney Puncher being top quality (I can verify that it is) and you don't have input for that, so I took it as that was your listing

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also
Kidney Puncher and Atomizer Wick are SANDVIK™ KANTHAL™ wire

Suggestion too, for SS I would put a tag for "smelted in Sweden and Milled in the US" tag. Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and I also believe (haven't verified) that Temco falls under this category. This does have a significant impact to quality

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also
Kidney Puncher and Atomizer Wick are SANDVIK™ KANTHAL™ wire

Suggestion too, for SS I would put a tag for "smelted in Sweden and Milled in the US" tag. Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and I also believe (haven't verified) that Temco falls under this category. This does have a significant impact to quality
Updates have been added

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You can add me to the list that had badly spooled higher gauge wire from LV. 1k foot roll of 38 gauge N80 I have run into 2 snags so far and I'm only about 200 feet into the spool. Not fun in the middle of a run...

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LV spools snag? Never...

0e7daecd9239bbf2bdb16e3a84df895a.jpg

Not only is the spooling crap but the wire is shit too.
I'd pick KB, MoC...literally every wire company over them. When coil society is priced better on longer spools and with better wire I wonder how LV stays in business.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also
Kidney Puncher and Atomizer Wick are SANDVIK KANTHAL wire

Suggestion too, for SS I would put a tag for "smelted in Sweden and Milled in the US" tag. Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick and I also believe (haven't verified) that Temco falls under this category.

I know that TEMCo got authorization (from SANDVIK) to use the kanthal trademark, not sure though that TEMCo kanthal is actually smelted in Sweden.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I know that TEMCo got authorization (from SANDVIK) to use the kanthal trademark, not sure though that TEMCo kanthal is actually smelted in Sweden.

Don't think it's smelted by Sandvik but it uses the same composition. So it's real Kanthal, it's just not made by Sandvik

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't forget Zivipf, I've had great luck with their SS 430 and NiFe48.
They have lots of resistance wires in many gauges.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can add me to the list that had badly spooled higher gauge wire from LV. 1k foot roll of 38 gauge N80 I have run into 2 snags so far and I'm only about 200 feet into the spool. Not fun in the middle of a run...

Not only is the spooling crap but the wire is shit too.

Added to the index for complaints on LV. Thank you guys!

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Quickly researching these two outlets, it seems they are just reselling UD Wire, Geekvape Wire, and Volcano Wire (manufacturer in Hawaii).
I'm going to list the Volcano Wire as a manufactuer as they have a site to purchase directly from as well. I will list these two as known suppliers in AU.

Thank you!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
SS is smelted in Sweden, not Kanthal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LaughingWarrior

Member For 2 Years
Any opinions about GeekVape wire? The local B&M (which is a dumpster fire) and a couple Canuck online shops seem to have lots of it...

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Any opinions about GeekVape wire? The local B&M (which is a dumpster fire) and a couple Canuck online shops seem to have lots of it...
Not all that impressed with it, it's cheap Chinese wire but at least it's not filthy like I've gotten from UD or KBee. It won't hold up as well or handle as good as wire from Temco, Kidney Puncher, Atomizer Wick or Pure Atomist.

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can probably bet that r055co's used more wire than I have but apparently I've been lucky. I've gotten a few spools of UD and it's been clean. No oil, no tangles, no smoke when pulsing/dry firing it right off the spool. The first spool I got from eciggity, the others I got through FT. Given temco's prices if/when I need more I might give them a try.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Artrafshop and Kingorchid on eBay. While not exactly vendors they are selling Sandvik respools.
I bought 350' of 0.4mm for $15 from Artrafshop, tight spooling, clean and straight. I regularly buy my fuse from Kingorchid. 1000' of Sandvik KD for $8? You can't get better color or better prices. Very strong wire, clean and spooled perfectly.
As long as I can I'll be buying everything I can make use of from them.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Th3T

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great thread so far, thanks for making it! I started out building with Kbees and haven't had any problems. Also haven't had any issues with LV either as of yet maybe its the 1000' foot spools with snags? I've only dealt with 500' or less and so far so good. Have used pure atomist ribbon which was great, and have some master of clouds lower wire in lower gauges and its ok too. Going to give Atomizerwick wire a try since they have a good price for 38g 500', and a coupon.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Artrafshop and Kingorchid on eBay. While not exactly vendors they are selling Sandvik respools.
I bought 350' of 0.4mm for $15 from Artrafshop, tight spooling, clean and straight. I regularly buy my fuse from Kingorchid. 1000' of Sandvik KD for $8? You can't get better color or better prices. Very strong wire, clean and spooled perfectly.
As long as I can I'll be buying everything I can make use of from them.
Thank you whiteowl84

Artrafshop Ebay Store
Kingorchid Ebay Store

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hi all!

Can I get a little wire buying advice? I am gonna order from AtomizerWicks but am unsure of what awg etc to order....

I am planning on ordering ss317l, nichrome, and kanthal so I have options for building.

I will be building for a couple of dna75 squonkers, a Reo meh and other regulated mods (alien, predator etc). Will be using the DNA tc, although this is my first DNA so I'm learning tc, otherwise most will be vw power mode vaping.

For the squonkers I want to build .5 and above and am looking for quick ramp up, great flavor basic coil build using coilmaster jig.

For all others I would like to stay around .2 and above, again simple coil wraps (would like Clapton wire but I don't see premade spools on the site and I don't have drill etc to make my own).

So basically can I get a recommendation on a shopping list (awg assortment etc) that will suit my desired builds?

Thanks for any input

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My recommendation

Stainless Steel Core wire
  • 28g
  • 30g
Wrapping wire for Claptons
  • 38g
Kanthal Core wire
  • 24g
  • 26g
Wrapping wire for Claptons
  • 34g (looks like they're out of 36g and 38g)

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been using Vape Spider (the banner link in my sig) a lot lately to search for vape supplies. They don't have every single vape shop known to man indexed, but they have a good many. I've seen quite a few of these vape search sites popping up, but that's the one I use presently. YMMV

VU Sponsors