Become a Patron!

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright, I have read in numerous forums and such, that on a regulated mod, you look at the specs to see the lowest resistance and highest resistance, then as long as you are in the correct range, your good. The mod is "regulated" and has all the safety features, so your batteries don't matter.

Now, I'm always seeing, "Make sure you have the right batteries!", in regards to the RX200.

So which is it? If someone can clarify, I'd be greatful!

I have been using 3 of the Green IMREN 40a FUBAR BS 18650. I know they got horrible test results and everyone says they're total shit!
I personally have put 2 sets of them in rotation under heavy use between 45 and 150 watts for the last few months with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER! They rate at somewhere like 20amp continuous...or maybe 10amps...I can't remember right off hand.
They don't seem like they even get a raise in temperature when I chain vape at 120 watts. Never have they even gotten the slightest bit warm.

So, am I crazy for using these in my rx200?
I use efest purple 3000mah 35a (20a continuous) I'm my others.
I've never had an issue with either of them.

Kev012in

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As long as your coil falls within the recognized range of your mod your fine. If it doesn't then your mod just won't fire. Simple as that. As far as the batteries as long as their married, your not trying to exceed the max continous amp rating, and your happy with them then they should be fine. Vape on.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as the name on your batteries does not have "fire" on the label, your batts should be okay in a regulated device. it's my understanding that Imren and Efest do not manufacture their own batteries, but rather purchase 2nds from the major Korean makers (LG, Samsung, etc...) and rewrap them with their own label. The problem in my mind would be they can put any specs on the battery they want, and Im assuming they are not always accurate. Just makes sense for me personally to buy authentic name brands from reputable vendors. Prices are about the same, and I KNOW what I'm buying.

RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As long as your coil falls within the recognized range of your mod your fine. If it doesn't then your mod just won't fire. Simple as that. As far as the batteries as long as their married, your not trying to exceed the max continous amp rating, and your happy with them then they should be fine. Vape on.
This.
I have no issue using Efests, because I vape at ~1ohm under 30w, so I know the CDR is under 10a to have to worry about it. Know/learn Ohms law for self assurance, and the battery brand's history.

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for all the replies everyone!
I understand ohms law and I don't build anything drawing more than 20a. I stay within my devices specs and so far never had a problem.
As for them being rewraps...that sucks...I did some research on benchmark tests....the results where more or less what made me choose them.....but if they rewrap random batteries, then who knows if my batteries have the same specs as the ones in the test....mucho homoriphico

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In a regulated mod your coils resistance doesn't have anything to do with current draw from your batteries. You set the power you want, the chip sees the voltage present from the batteries and draws the amount of current it needs from the batteries to reach the power level you dial up (+10% or so for chip inefficiency - RX chips aren't particularly efficient, so figure a little more). The chip then steps up or down the voltage and does the inverse to the current to supply the power to the coil.

The RX is a triple series mod so fully changed the chip has 12.6V applied. Fully discharged ~9v. To see the current draw, take the wattage (power) you dial up and divide it by the remaining voltage. As the cells discharge, the voltage drops and the current draw goes up.

As the mah (capacity) of the cell increases the CDR (amp rating) decreases. It's a balancing act. You want to select a cell with a high enough CDR but one that also has a decent amount of capacity. I think 20 amp CDR cells are a good balance between CDR and capacity..

Short answer is a 20 amp CDR cell is good for ~120 watts in a dual battery mod. It's good for about 180 watts in a triple battery mod (throughout the run/worst case scenario when the batteries are fully discharged).

Here's a link to a very good article on the best batteries for vaping written by Mooch:
http://vaping360.com/top-5-18650-batteries-for-vaping/

Ohm's_law_formula_wheel.JPG

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just don't understand why anyone would buy re wraps when you can get the real deal for equal to or better pricing. Unless it's an Lg, Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic battery then it's a B bin re wrap. Just buy good batteries from a trusted distributor and you'll be fine.

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
In a regulated mod your coils resistance doesn't have anything to do with current draw from your batteries. You set the power you want, the chip sees the voltage present from the batteries and draws the amount of current it needs from the batteries to reach the power level you dial up (+10% or so for chip inefficiency - RX chips aren't particularly efficient, so figure a little more). The chip then steps up or down the voltage and does the inverse to the current to supply the power to the coil.

The RX is a triple series mod so fully changed the chip has 12.6V applied. Fully discharged ~9v. To see the current draw, take the wattage (power) you dial up and divide it by the remaining voltage. As the cells discharge, the voltage drops and the current draw goes up.

As the mah (capacity) of the cell increases the CDR (amp rating) decreases. It's a balancing act. You want to select a cell with a high enough CDR but one that also has a decent amount of capacity. I think 20 amp CDR cells are a good balance between CDR and capacity..

Short answer is a 20 amp CDR cell is good for ~120 watts in a dual battery mod. It's good for about 180 watts in a triple battery mod (throughout the run/worst case scenario when the batteries are fully discharged).

Here's a link to a very good article on the best batteries for vaping written by Mooch:

Cheers,
Steve
Thankyou! Great info here that I can use! This was very helpful, thanks again.

LivingSacrifice5

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just don't understand why anyone would buy re wraps when you can get the real deal for equal to or better pricing. Unless it's an Lg, Sony, Samsung, or Panasonic battery then it's a B bin re wrap. Just buy good batteries from a trusted distributor and you'll be fine.
Yes, I realize this now. If I only would have had the info I have acquired over the last 5 or 6 months...Before I bought new batteries...I would have never bought rewraps.
Oh well, Live and learn I guess...

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thankyou! Great info here that I can use! This was very helpful, thanks again.
Youre welcome my friend! I'm always happy to help. I'm glad you found it useful..
Yes, I realize this now. If I only would have had the info I have acquired over the last 5 or 6 months...Before I bought new batteries...I would have never bought rewraps.
Oh well, Live and learn I guess...
Unfortunately a lot of shops carry re-wraps. That article I linked for you is quite good. Mooch who is basically a battery guru wrote it.

I mainly use Samsung 25R's, LG HG2's, and I just recently received some Samsung 30Q's (I am really liking the 30Q's). All very good batteries. I did however just read a review by Mooch where he said he's slightly downgraded the HG2's (from 20 amp CDR to 18) because they ones he's tested in the last couple of months aren't performing quite as well as earlier batches.

Anyways if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Steve.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Cheers,
Steve
these

to expand - because I'm a loudmouth-
you should be good assuming all is right with your regulated mod
HOWEVER- why take chances if it doesn't cost you any more money?
the mod will keep you safe.... but if you re using underpowered or damaged batteries, you do have a chance (albeit slim) of frying your board.
so, whenever I give advice, I always advise people to get good 20a or higher batteries.
Samsung 25r, LGhE2, LGHG2, samsung 30q, sony VTC 5 or VTC6

VU Sponsors