Become a Patron!

Any freshwater fishtank enthusiasts here?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This was my mentality, go to the actual fish shop for advice and fish. Problem was, the local fish shop gave me advice that resulted in the loss of one of my fish, and the advice from Petco saved the other and made the water so much nicer. Might be different in different areas, but I wouldn't fully discount Petco as a viable shop.
Very true. Normally, I trust the local fish store here, so maybe I just caught them st a bad time. I've never gotten a sick fish from them either but I was a bit hesitant today. And I have gotten lucky with petsmart/petco like I said. I have 2 older albino cory cats I got there that I've had for years. So, I'll check around again next week.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is my thought on fish stores, as in any pet store, there are good ones and there are shitty ones. Petco had a bad rap within the fish enthusiasts, but I think they have come a long way.

Like everything, it all depends on the specific store and the employees running the dept. If you are lucky and the store you go to is cared for by people who actually understand fish and their needs and maintain the water and filters you have better luck than some B&M mortar privately owned stores.

Ive seen some deplorable conditions at some so called advanced fish places.

Dont hesitate to ask them to do a water test for ammonia and nitrates, hell theyve got the kits or should. If the levels are good the fish should be healthy.

Does not hurt to have a small isolation tank for new arrivals at home. That tank can be maintained easy enough and when you get a new group you can add them, and keep them there for a week or 2 and you can slowly add some salt with africans so you can kill off minor parasites and then do some water changes to lower the salt slowly before transferring them.

WIth Africans its a good idea to add a few new fish at a time so they dont target the new ones or right before adding new ones take all the rocks out to break up any territories .

Im no envious of you.
Aww shucks...LOL
Seriously, though, sorry this thread is making you miss your tanks. I know I should have a QT tank. I've never really used one and I know that can be bad. So, you think I should add a few at a time rather than put a full load in at once? It really makes more sense to populate the tank slowly, but I've also read that the opposite is true with africans - that you should add them all at once.
What's your opinion on stocking levels? Overstock with African cichlids or no? I've seen conflicting info on that too.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Had this 125 gallon tank for about 5 years, always had fish tanks, and always wanted a big tank like this, never thought I would get one, but got this deal off craiglist for $100 :D I have mostly cichlids mixed in with parrots and a oscar.
BiGkLzT.jpg

Qifvl5O.jpg

F9WJanZ.jpg

H3hpbJ5.jpg
Very nice looking Sevrum in the second pic. I had a couple of them that got huge in the 55 gallon I had.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Normally, Id say add a couple at a time, but with Africans , Id lean to getting a dozen smaller fish and dump them in. You will probably have to do a small water change every few days, to make sure the ammonia doesnt spike too high.

I remember one of the better fish stores had a fire, a big one. It was electrical in origin of course.

All the fish died from smoke inhalation or lack of filtration, but the Africans, they are tough little things.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I used to have a 60 gallon tank 19 years ago, before immigrating to the US. I don't know if you consider fish from the Amazon to be fresh water or not. However, I would love to have a tank like it again. I remember sitting in front of the tank for hours, rather than watching TV. I had real plants in the tank, 12 Neon (the real ones), 4 Scalar (I think you call them Angel fish), and many other colorful varieties.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I used to have a 60 gallon tank 19 years ago, before immigrating to the US. I don't know if you consider fish from the Amazon to be fresh water or not. However, I would love to have a tank like it again. I remember sitting in front of the tank for hours, rather than watching TV. I had real plants in the tank, 12 Neon (the real ones), 4 Scalar (I think you call them Angel fish), and many other colorful varieties.

Yes, amazonian river type aquariums are freshwater. It is very soft and acidic and full of rich tannins. It can almost have a reddish tint from all the rich natural nutrients found in the amazonian rivers.

Aquariums do have a very relaxing effect on people. I too used to love being able to sit in front of mine. Watching the fish swimming so beautifully around. Knowing the science behind the beauty. The whole ecosystem working so perfectly. Knowing that if I needed to, the water was so pure, you could drink it. It was a feeling of accomplishment.

Seeing the little babies darting in and out of the rocks to grab some of the food not gulped up by the adult fish. To see the fish grazing on the good green algae and small snails too. The snails were wonderful too, doing their part in the balance of things, burrowing thru the gravel , eating the excess debris and food, keeping the gravel aerated.

WHen you finally have it balanced an aquarium hardly needs maintenance, just an occasional inspection of the bio material in the filters to make sure there is no clogging etc. Its a plus to find snails living inside, it means things are balanced. I never minded algae, good green algae. It simply meant things were healthy. Most people dont understand that you dont want to over clean aquariums. Many people kill their fish with over cleaning. An aquarium works by having the balance of beneficial bacteria that covers every surface , every rock, and most important the gravel. If you vacum the gravel you end up destroying the flora of bacterial filtration.

I could go on, but I wont. I love it.

amazonian biotope tanks
41186a2927a532d0f9efac01c2078e76.jpg

e45c66b576501d85202ac61b3062c5d6.jpg

4f61f7ff7f0d8.jpg

2015_biotope_aquarium_e_8_1.jpg

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If you get a chance check out T. Amanos aquascapes , it will blow your mind. Now he does specialize in doing fantastic large room sized tanks, but they can be done in smaller tanks too. THey are like whole underwater worlds.

maxresdefault.jpg

11457740316_7f4029638d_b.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

TakashiAmano.jpg

135b48d90d10c16bd94d72860a30d255.jpg

httpaquascapinglove.comwp-contentuploads201401nature-aquarium-2.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Aww shucks...LOL
Seriously, though, sorry this thread is making you miss your tanks. I know I should have a QT tank. I've never really used one and I know that can be bad. So, you think I should add a few at a time rather than put a full load in at once? It really makes more sense to populate the tank slowly, but I've also read that the opposite is true with africans - that you should add them all at once.
What's your opinion on stocking levels? Overstock with African cichlids or no? I've seen conflicting info on that too.

Africans are one of the few fish that thrive on controlled crowding. You can easily keep twice the normal suggested fish per gallon.

In the lake of Malawi, Tanganika and Lake Victoria their environment is very much like a saltwater reefs. They live naturally in crowed situations and unlike most other fish, actually thrive in more crowded set ups. Only thing is you have to make sure you also compensate by having filtration for twice the size aquariums they are rated for. So if a filter is rated for a 60 gallon tank , you have to use a filter for a 100 gallon tank. The snails help a lot, and having a medium sized bio-wheel to keep the surface agitated and oxygenated helps too.

I have no idea what types of filters are being used now , but I had a medium sized canister for each 60 gallon, plus one of the large double bio-wheels hanging on each, and also had a small sand filter hanging on each. Sand filter is a tube filled with fine sand that constantly keeps agitating so that each grain of sand keeps hundreds or thousands of bacteria to eat the debris.

It was probably over kill, but most of my equipment I bought used at fish club actions for a fraction of the price. The sand filter was kinda cool , it reminded me of those lava lights, it was neat to see the sand swirling around the tube vertically .

Oh well, I have all my filters in a few boxes for that day when I can "fish again"

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Africans are one of the few fish that thrive on controlled crowding. You can easily keep twice the normal suggested fish per gallon.

In the lake of Malawi, Tanganika and Lake Victoria their environment is very much like a saltwater reefs. They live naturally in crowed situations and unlike most other fish, actually thrive in more crowded set ups. Only thing is you have to make sure you also compensate by having filtration for twice the size aquariums they are rated for. So if a filter is rated for a 60 gallon tank , you have to use a filter for a 100 gallon tank. The snails help a lot, and having a medium sized bio-wheel to keep the surface agitated and oxygenated helps too.

I have no idea what types of filters are being used now , but I had a medium sized canister for each 60 gallon, plus one of the large double bio-wheels hanging on each, and also had a small sand filter hanging on each. Sand filter is a tube filled with fine sand that constantly keeps agitating so that each grain of sand keeps hundreds or thousands of bacteria to eat the debris.

It was probably over kill, but most of my equipment I bought used at fish club actions for a fraction of the price. The sand filter was kinda cool , it reminded me of those lava lights, it was neat to see the sand swirling around the tube vertically .

Oh well, I have all my filters in a few boxes for that day when I can "fish again"
OMG, those set ups are sick!
If you get a chance check out T. Amanos aquascapes , it will blow your mind. Now he does specialize in doing fantastic large room sized tanks, but they can be done in smaller tanks too. THey are like whole underwater worlds.

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

TakashiAmano.jpg

Holy shit, those are nice!

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

fluidized sand filter; works inline with your filter.
lg_911214_32689.jpg

Biowheel filter. Most of the filtration happens on the pleated wheels which never should be cleaned. Comes with some silly blue pads filled with charcoal but I just slit them on one side, dumped the charcoal and used them as more surface for bio colony. Occassionally take them out and gently tap them to knock off debris, never rinse. You will kill the bio colony.

214126g.jpg

canister filter, there are many types, some are just one big container, My favorites , but some have chambers so you can add different types of media.
I never used charcoal, some people like it, but I dont like the idea that it is costly and has to be replaced often , if not it will actually start to throw out toxins back into your tank.

55015_with-parts.jpg

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
On my 55 I had a Fluval (200 if memory serves) canister, a Bio-wheel, and a pair of power heads on an under gravel. I never bothered with the filter packs either. I put carbon, etc. in filter bags.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Example of typically stocked African tank, a little of the Mbuna, Peacocks and Haps. Controlled crowding helps keep them from getting established territories and over aggression, by keeping them busy. People thought I was a nut, but giving them "toys" such as floating cat balls, leaves of romaine or spinach, mustard, kale clipped on the top and sides keep them occupied too.
dsc002_663348c403.jpg

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Example of typically stocked African tank, a little of the Mbuna, Peacocks and Haps. Controlled crowding helps keep them from getting established territories and over aggression, by keeping them busy. People thought I was a nut, but giving them "toys" such as floating cat balls, leaves of romaine or spinach, mustard, kale clipped on the top and sides keep them occupied too.
dsc002_663348c403.jpg
I really would like to give African Cichlids a try, but it would be a real learning curve for me since the water conditions are 180 degrees from what I'm used to.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
8a0598b1b56a93500e5a6a2bcbdad0ae.jpg

here is what the person is calling a Peacock tank , but there are many mbuna in there too. The Peacocks are the larger wider ones with larger dorsal and tail fins.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

TakashiAmano.jpg

OMG! Makes me what to invest in an aquarium. I bet our cats would love that too. :giggle:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's why all mine are covered! LOL
One of mine took a dip in the tank as I was setting it up. Not too many things are as unhappy as a wet cat.
On another note, is it a good idea to use special African lake salts for a cichlid tank or do you find it unnecessary? I didn't add any when I set it up-i just put crushed coral gravel in the filters to act as a buffer.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's why all mine are covered! LOL
One of mine took a dip in the tank as I was setting it up. Not too many things are as unhappy as a wet cat.
On another note, is it a good idea to use special African lake salts for a cichlid tank or do you find it unnecessary? I didn't add any when I set it up-i just put crushed coral gravel in the filters to act as a buffer.
I need to recheck my ph and do a water change before adding fish, but I think the water is slightly on the basic side

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would not worry too much about the salts when putting them initially. They are very hardy. What I would do is when you get them, pour them all in a container with the water from the bags and float it for a few minutes so the temp equalizes. I forget how long, but you might want to float a thermometer and watch till it is the same as the tank.

Then I used to like to add some of your tanks water in with their water , slowly till its all mixed and then release them. Let them get used to the new surroundings and then if you want , add non iodized salt , start with a tablespoon a day.

I would have to look up how much you can add per gallon, but it can be quite high. This is good for healing any surface parasites or if they have rubbed off thier protective coating. You might want too add some of that water conditioner that de-chlorinates. Many of those have ingredients that helps them with the protective slime that fish normally have.

Of course the salt is not neccessary, especially if you have plants. Most plants dont like too much salt.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most Cichilds are as anavidfan said very hardy, all I do with my tank is add aquarium salt every so often and use Seachem Prime every month. I have a canister filter, so really only bother to do water changes twice a year, with such a big tank, I use the hosepipe to fill it back up, so I only do water changes when it is warm, which I have the fun of doing very soon.

Rabbit

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a 3 gallon tank with a King Betta. I'll upload pictures when I get home from work.

Rabbit

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There's a zebra snail (Mr. Peppy) in there too but he's hiding. The betta's name is Huey.
onz4KZY.jpg

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My fishtank seems like it will have a never ending supply of moths and insects due to its proximity to a sliding glass door. Will peacocks eat them? And if they do, will they bloat?

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I never had a problem with bloat, and if they eat the bugs, there should be no problem unless the insects have been exposed to any insecticides.

They do love their greens and of course any meaty bits they get their teeth on.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been thru the cycle, small freshwater tank - bigger tank(s) - cichlids - saltwater tank - multiple saltwater tanks with refugiums. Thousands (don't really want to know how many lol) of dollars later I'm back to a 36 freshwater. Now I have a happy little community of fish that all get along; Danios, Platys, Rasboras, Tetras and a couple Coreys for clean up duty. Don't think I paid more than $3 a fish except for the Coreys. Have way more money in the plants. It got to where it was becoming kind of a chore, instead of an enjoyable hobby. I had a good time on the journey, but this satisfies me now. :)

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've been thru the cycle, small freshwater tank - bigger tank(s) - cichlids - saltwater tank - multiple saltwater tanks with refugiums. Thousands (don't really want to know how many lol) of dollars later I'm back to a 36 freshwater. Now I have a happy little community of fish that all get along; Danios, Platys, Reboras, Tetras and a couple Coreys for clean up duty. Don't think I paid more than $3 a fish except for the Coreys. Have way more money in the plants. It got to where it was becoming kind of a chore, instead of an enjoyable hobby. I had a good time on the journey, but this satisfies me now. :)

Thats what its all about, being satisfied. It should not be a chore, it should be pure joy !

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Found this on YT today, its what Id like someday

That's really nice. My cats would destroy that rather quickly though.
BTW - Today might be the day! If not today, tomorrow. I'm gonna do a 50% water change and check my nitrates. If ok, I'm in search of fishes. I'll post pics later if possible. My camera files are larger than this forum likes. I normally have to take them, crop them, and screenshot them first to reduce the size.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Though Ive never done it, there are some breeders online that sell and ship within hours, most offer alive on arrival and DOA guarantees. Might be worth it, Ive seen some gorgeous Bettas that Ive been so tempted to get.

This is the only way to fly! I mail fish to and from Alaska for a few years now and it can really up your game.

Change your life forever and go to Aquabid.com

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, my nitrates/nitrites are too high. I either have not completed my cycle or I didn't change enough water. So, no fish. I'm going to try and remedy the situation before adding fish.

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, my nitrates/nitrites ate too high. I either have not completed my cycle or I didn't change enough water. So, no fish. I'm going to try and remedy the situation before adding fish.

Nitrite is all you need to worry about while cycling: Nitrate just means the bb are indeed eating the ammonia :)

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got a liquid test kit, because strips aren't terribly accurate but the strips showed nitrite off the chart.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I got a liquid test kit, because strips aren't terribly accurate but the strips showed nitrite off the chart.

Liquid is all I'll use.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I need to clean my other tanks tonight. Then when I have the energy I'll go back to the new one. Anybody have any luck with starter bacteria cultures in a bottle?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The stores strips were showing a tiny amount of chlorine but mine were showing zero.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I did. But maybe it didn't mix well. Would that skew the nitrite results?

The chlorine can kill off the BB. I've used septic bacteria to cycle tanks.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did. But maybe it didn't mix well. Would that skew the nitrite results?

It might, depends on how much water replaced. Chlorine can kill off a colony rather instantly and the resulting dead bacteria can mess things up too.

Ive used those starter bacteria liquids in the past, most were just a waste of money. I used to visit with a Koi Pond place and they had one that really did work. It cost a little more , but it was worth it. It had a VERY short shelf life and they can be affected by high temperatures during transport. They would keep it cooled , but not frozen.

You could always run out and buy some floating plants , its surprizing how much they help with the nitrites/ nitrates.

While ammonia does affect/ burn the fishes gills instantly, nitrates are okay, as long as they dont get too high, but Nitrites affect the blood cells and oxygen intake.

The cycle goes ammonia to nitrites then broken down to nitrates.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The chlorine can kill off the BB. I've used septic bacteria to cycle tanks.
I used green pig brand septic bacteria to jump start a massive recycling project I had to do two years ago, cycled 100s of gallons of freshwater tanks in under 10 days. It was impressive, and I wish I had the time back then to document the project.

While I do not guarantee or route this method, I will say the straight out septic bacteria for septic systems worked for me, big time.

I've never messed with the stuff they sell specifically for cycling tanks though. Heard too many horror stories.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I used green pig brand septic bacteria to jump start a massive recycling project I had to do two years ago, cycled 100s of gallons of freshwater tanks in under 10 days. It was impressive, and I wish I had the time back then to document the project.

While I do not guarantee or route this method, I will say the straight out septic bacteria for septic systems worked for me, big time.

I've never messed with the stuff they sell specifically for cycling tanks though. Heard too many horror stories.

Yeah, I remember those stories. Some of the bottles were just full of dead bacteria and rancid. Horrible thing in a tank full of fish.
It would be a ton of rancid dead, decaying bacteria and anaerobic ( bad bacteria feeding off the dead ones, very toxic) plus the ammonia created by those.

Unless you get it from a real professional place and its the stuff THEY use on 3 grand Koi, I would avoid it.

The septic ones, now that makes sense... I mean, waste is waste, and with no fish in there, no real danger. :)

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I did use water conditioner. Dose it 1 tsp per 10 gallons of water. My jugs hold 4-5 gallins, so I added a half tsp to each, same as I always do. I changed about 30 gallons of water. So a bit under 50 %. I'm gonna dose her up with ammonia tonight and see what the level is tomorrow evening. One tsp of lab grade ammonia brings it to 1-2 ppm. If my ammonia drops, I will know I did not kill my bacteria colonies. I did buy a bottle if something called special blend, but I'm going to hold off using that if I can.
I tried some floating water sprite before and it didn't do well. My African water fern and Java fern babies are doing ok though. But I don't think they're big enough to make much of a difference yet.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had no ammonia when we checked it at the store.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I did use water conditioner. Dose it 1 tsp per 10 gallons of water. My jugs hold 4-5 gallins, so I added a half tsp to each, same as I always do. I changed about 30 gallons of water. So a bit under 50 %. I'm gonna dose her up with ammonia tonight and see what the level is tomorrow evening. One tsp of lab grade ammonia brings it to 1-2 ppm. If my ammonia drops, I will know I did not kill my bacteria colonies. I did buy a bottle if something called special blend, but I'm going to hold off using that if I can.
I tried some floating water sprite before and it didn't do well. My African water fern and Java fern babies are doing ok though. But I don't think they're big enough to make much of a difference yet.

If you have a garden store and they have water plants those floating ones called water Hyacinth work really good.

storyb1.jpg

These are good too, but the above are better. These are called water cabbage
Malaysia-0485.jpg

PS, if you do get some of these, be sure not to rinse them with tap water, best to just dump them. Their roots and bottoms are covered in large colonies of beneficial bacteria.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, the strip look like my chlorine level is 0.5 that sucks. I hope my bacteria aren't dead now. My dechlorinator must not have been shaken up enough. I hope I'm not back to square 1.

VU Sponsors