Become a Patron!

Any freshwater fishtank enthusiasts here?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I play around a little with Discus but honestly they can be a bit stressful. I age my water in 55 gallon barrels in the basement and pump it up to the tank.

They are beautiful but I am of the opinion that they have been breed to be overall less tolerant of disease. I had Discus 25 years ago and they were the hear heartiest fish I owned. Today you have to be worried about cross contamination if you own more than 1 tank, which I do.

boys9PE.gif

boys2.jpg

bluto.png

150.jpg

tank4-18.png
Yep, discus are unique, but too difficult for me. I have a friend who tried his hand at them.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I play around a little with Discus but honestly they can be a bit stressful. I age my water in 55 gallon barrels in the basement and pump it up to the tank.

They are beautiful but I am of the opinion that they have been breed to be overall less tolerant of disease. I had Discus 25 years ago and they were the hear heartiest fish I owned. Today you have to be worried about cross contamination if you own more than 1 tank, which I do.

boys9PE.gif

boys2.jpg

bluto.png

150.jpg

tank4-18.png
Gorgeous, just amazing.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, unless youre a hardcore breeder, dont worry about such stuff. YOU have to enjoy them. Some aquarium enthusiasts become so obsessed with location specific everything. If that makes them happy fine, but for some , like me its about enjoyment.
I'm currently debating between a demasoni/yellow lab tank and a lwanda peacock/hap tank. Decisions, decisions. Am I over thinking it or doing the right research? LOL. Fine line.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Either will be beautiful and really, you could have a mostly Peacock and some or both of either of the others.

Any of them will bring you joy...

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Either will be beautiful and really, you could have a mostly Peacock and some or both of either of the others.

Any of them will bring you joy...
I'm not sure I'd want to mix demasoni with peacocks. Did that ever work in your experience?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I do have an extra tank. LOL. But I had thought about a subtropical danio/white cloud mix for that one. Although they could maybe go in the 55 gal barb tank. I may be stocked there though. 8 rosy barbs and 8 cory cats.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm not sure I'd want to mix demasoni with peacocks. Did that ever work in your experience?

Well, in my case, cant say it did. I started up my tank with the Mbuna; like the demansoni and psuedotropheaus etc. I made the mistake of trying to add peacocks after.

Lets just say the Peacocks never lasted long. Also any new fish that were red, got targeted also.

I have seen some larger tanks with a wide variety of peacocks and crazy Mbuna that were added all as small babies , grew up together and managed to live in harmony.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Here is an example of the Psuedos, Demansoni and Haps, these seem to get on fine. As you see, NO peacocks and still gorgeous.

s-l1000.jpg

Here is an all Hap tank.
maxresdefault.jpg

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the opportunity to order 10 young Eureka Reds (1-2") for $44.95 free shipping. I also have a coworker checking for reasonably priced adults. In your opinion, is it better to go with a group of babies or adults in terms of aggression issues? I'd assume that of I buy a group of adults they'd already be together. Fish in the 1-2" range would be impossible to sex, wouldn't they? I really don't need 10 fish, but I guess that might insulate against probable losses along the way.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the juvenile eureka reds. Hopefully I do not get burned. The seller has 100 % good feedback over 3 years, so at least I have a good chance of getting live fish. I'm a bit leery because 1-2 inch cichlids aren't generally colored up yet, so there's a chance I won't get what I paid for, but it's a chance I decided to take. I'll keep you updated...

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Either way, would be fine. If you get a group of juveniles only or some adults, it should be fine. Being put in a new environment will confuse them enough to keep them from being too mean to each other.

Small guys have more chance of finding hiding places.

I thought I posted this yesterday, guess I goofed up.

COngrats !!!!! it should be fun watching them grow up and become beauties. How many did you order?

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Either way, would be fine. If you get a group of juveniles only or some adults, it should be fine. Being put in a new environment will confuse them enough to keep them from being too mean to each other.

Small guys have more chance of finding hiding places.

I thought I posted this yesterday, guess I goofed up.

COngrats !!!!! it should be fun watching them grow up and become beauties. How many did you order?
10. It's a 2 for 1 deal. 10 for the price of 5. I figure it's a cushion because not all of them may survive to adulthood.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what the males are supposed to mature into.Screenshot_2016-05-16-08-18-59-1.png

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You will have to ignore my inability to post correctly after midnight. LOL.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-16-08-18-59.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-16-08-18-59.png
    965.6 KB · Views: 3

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Those are gorgeous. If any fish can survive transport , fires, bad conditions, etc. its these beauties.

:bliss:

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those are gorgeous. If any fish can survive transport , fires, bad conditions, etc. its these beauties.

:bliss:
Just got them this morning. They are tiny and gray/striped right now. They'll have to grow into their colors. No pictures yet. The tank lights are off. I was unsure of which acclimation method to use. I ended up floating the closed bag for a bit and just netting the fish into the tank. They seem to be ok after 2 days of transport. They are hanging together in one corner of the tank mostly, but don't seem to be in distress. It was supposed to be 10 for price of 5, but it looks like I ended up with 9 total.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got them this morning. They are tiny and gray/striped right now. They'll have to grow into their colors. No pictures yet. The tank lights are off. I was unsure of which acclimation method to use. I ended up floating the closed bag for a bit and just netting the fish into the tank. They seem to be ok after 2 days of transport. They are hanging together in one corner of the tank mostly, but don't seem to be in distress. It was supposed to be 10 for price of 5, but it looks like I ended up with 9 total.
On second count, there are indeed 10. Here are some of them. They are still in the slightly alien looking phase. LOL.Screenshot_2016-05-19-13-39-58.png

Last edited:

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im so happy for you !!!! I can bet you a buck that the one lower center with the real defined stripe on his dorsal is a male. I can already see the hint of blue and the yellow.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

giphy.gif

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im so happy for you !!!! I can bet you a buck that the one lower center with the real defined stripe on his dorsal is a male. I can already see the hint of blue and the yellow.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

giphy.gif
I don't see any color on him (you may have sharper eyes), but I agree that it's probably male. He just has that "look"

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
They are spending quite a bit of time sitting/hovering right over the sand. Not very much motion. Is that fairly normal for shipped fish? They aren't gasping or looking distressed. I'm not familiar with these kind of fish or with receiving shipped fish.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would not worry too much, if they were gasping that might be worrisome.

Probably just in a bit perplexed. Feed them a tiny bit later, if they dont go after the food, then worry. But dont feed them for a few hours.
Im so happy for you

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got new fish due to my loss of fish after the heater overheating, they are just getting settled now, from my experience, takes a few days for fish to settle in to a new tank, all of mine hid for a few days, now they are out in the open.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would not worry too much, if they were gasping that might be worrisome.

Probably just in a bit perplexed. Feed them a tiny bit later, if they dont go after the food, then worry. But dont feed them for a few hours.
Im so happy for you
When I go to check on them sometimes they are all sitting there in a perfectly spaced row left to right at the front of the tank. Watching me. It's funny. I did give them a small meal of bloodworms, which they enjoyed, so I guess I'm not too worried about them.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got new fish due to my loss of fish after the heater overheating, they are just getting settled now, from my experience, takes a few days for fish to settle in to a new tank, all of mine hid for a few days, now they are out in the open.
What did you get? Mine aren't really hiding, but they're just kind of sitting there looking at me. Guess they're trying to figure me out.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have read that sometimes fish are sedated for shipment. I have no idea if these were. The water was tinted blue so I'm guessing methylene blue or something was added, along with an ammonia absorbing cube. I think drugged fish tend to be less active for a day or two. All the site said was that the water is treated with Kordon additives.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More Cichlid's, can't tell you all the types of cichlid's they are, know 2 are orange labs, 1 baby and 1 adult good sized one, I will try and some pics of them :)

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not the best pictures, but not like I could tell the fish to sit while I take a picture.

Large lab
dUNAfVP.jpg

See the smaller lab at the back, also got the blue with black stripes guy too
j0fi7Ys.jpg

odmJ8sR.jpg

HpC6mo4.jpg

And this next one is my favorite, my wife sayd he is ugly, but I think he is really cool looking and not seen one like him before, wish could of got a better picture, but he was all over the tank
udAEAoZ.jpg

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Not the best pictures, but not like I could tell the fish to sit while I take a picture.

Large lab
dUNAfVP.jpg

See the smaller lab at the back, also got the blue with black stripes guy too
j0fi7Ys.jpg

odmJ8sR.jpg

HpC6mo4.jpg

And this next one is my favorite, my wife sayd he is ugly, but I think he is really cool looking and not seen one like him before, wish could of got a better picture, but he was all over the tank
udAEAoZ.jpg

Gorgeous tank.... THat last one is a beautiful Jacoberi (spelling) ? Peacock , good work
The one above the peacock is a Venustus juvenile male, heres an adult
nimbochromis_venustus_adult_1.jpg

Many beauties.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gorgeous tank.... THat last one is a beautiful Jacoberi (spelling) ? Peacock , good work
The one above the peacock is a Venustus juvenile male, heres an adult
nimbochromis_venustus_adult_1.jpg

Many beauties.

You know your fish a lot better than I do lol

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im so amazed that I remember some of the names. Its been a long time.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
On second count, there are indeed 10. Here are some of them. They are still in the slightly alien looking phase. LOL.View attachment 51571
That one with the very defined dorsal stripe definitely has the makings of a dominant male. He's fast and he's greedy. I dropped some yummy food in the tank and I swear, that fin flared up and the stripe looked blue.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I bought some frozen cubes for omnivores and the peacocks, the barbs, and the cory catfish all flipped their shit for it. Definitely a hit. It had greens and shrimp. It's called Emrald Entree.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That one with the very defined dorsal stripe definitely has the makings of a dominant male. He's fast and he's greedy. I dropped some yummy food in the tank and I swear, that fin flared up and the stripe looked blue.

Yeap, Id bet on that. They can dull or flash color depending on mood. Just wait till he gets to breeding age, he will look gorgeous when he does his little dance for the girls.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He's also already bigger than the rest. I'm sure he's probably not the only male in there, but he's already trying to be in charge.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First time embedding a video link. Bear with me. I hope it works.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Im so happy for you !!!! the babies are gorgeous. I feel like a proud "aunt" I hope you keep us updated as they grow up with more videos.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a feeling I'm going to have to split them up as they get bigger. Assuming they all survive to adult hood, I'm gonna be crammed full. I'm figuring on losing some, but I hope they all make it.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Im so happy for you !!!! the babies are gorgeous. I feel like a proud "aunt" I hope you keep us updated as they grow up with more videos.

You sort of are their "aunt" LOL. You've been quite a good source of info.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You sort of are their "aunt" LOL. You've been quite a good source of info.
I forsee a lot of changes in them as they grow. They're already changing in looks and behavior. I can't wait. Maybe I'll start their own thread. This one is getting long. I'm glad there are some fish heads here. I added new barbs to my other tank a couple weeks ago and they're doing wonderful too. And let's not forget Mrs. Betta...
I need a fish room. : )

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Funny, my boyfriend and I have been together for over 10 years now and I know he enjoys fish keeping too.

I love animals and so does he, we feel the same about dogs and cats ( we both prefer cats, but like dogs) He knows I like birds and poor thing has been attacked by parrots of family and old girlfriends so he told me no birds ( he does like chickens, so do I )

I told him if he ever gets a stupid idea like giving me a ring or car or anything outrageous like that, to forget about that, I want a fish room (s) and or Pond.

Hopefully when we end up living the rest of our lives out, we ( I ) can have my "viscous fishes" again.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Funny, my boyfriend and I have been together for over 10 years now and I know he enjoys fish keeping too.

I love animals and so does he, we feel the same about dogs and cats ( we both prefer cats, but like dogs) He knows I like birds and poor thing has been attacked by parrots of family and old girlfriends so he told me no birds ( he does like chickens, so do I )

I told him if he ever gets a stupid idea like giving me a ring or car or anything outrageous like that, to forget about that, I want a fish room (s) and or Pond.

Hopefully when we end up living the rest of our lives out, we ( I ) can have my "viscous fishes" again.
I have a zoo. Husband, 3 adult daughters (25, 23, 20), 4 dogs, 8 cats (yes 8), 2 parakeets which belong to my youngest daughter, and 3 fishtanks now. I do a lot of animal maintenance. At one time we also had 2 fiddler crabs. I'd love to add goats, chickens, and a horse but I can't afford it and my dogs would probably not deal well. One of my dogs was turned into a very high kill rate shelter for killing chickens. I drove several counties away to save him. He's strangely ok with my other dogs and cats. He was severely underweight so I suspect he was going after chickens to survive. Someone abandoned him and left him to fend for himself. There is a special place for people like that.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Anavidfan, you ever deal with hexamita in cichlids? I'm thinking I have a case. One fish has a spot on its head, but it doesn't look like fungus. After googling hexamita I think it may have a case. I'm going to treat all the fish in the tank with food soaked in 3% Epsom salt solution. From what I read, it's very common in cichlids and the Epsom salt treated food is supposed to be effective and safer then metro.

anavidfan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anavidfan, you ever deal with hexamita in cichlids? I'm thinking I have a case. One fish has a spot on its head, but it doesn't look like fungus. After googling hexamita I think it may have a case. I'm going to treat all the fish in the tank with food soaked in 3% Epsom salt solution. From what I read, it's very common in cichlids and the Epsom salt treated food is supposed to be effective and safer then metro.

Hmmm, never heard of that, but it never hurts to add some salt to african tanks. It helps avoid, soothe any minor scuffs from becoming infected.

I would keep it pretty salty and Id add and reduce , kinda like in the lake. They also like calcium, so a seashell or too is good.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
How are the babies doing?
Fine so far. I posted a video in a new post, but I'll link one here too. I'm not certain they're pure Eureka reds, though. Do you know much about them? One has the expected blue dorsal stripe, tail fin stripes and is developing blue facial markings. A couple are now getting orangey red dorsal stripes. I didn't think Eurekas got red stripes. I'm wondering if they are a Eureka color variant, a red top Lwanda, or a hybrid.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My nitrates were out of whack. Once I got them under control they've looked much better.

VU Sponsors