Become a Patron!

I must preach the gospel of PWM to the masses.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Who am I to dispute the word of someone who builds lots of these things?
If you're looking for a box made for you, check Mikhail's offerings.
And you can ask why the cheaper is better.

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...d-more-by-mikhail-naumov.323850/#post-1720341

? I thought mikhail preaching the gospel of PWM to the masses and the intention of this thread was to engage new builders and explain what it's all about, Or am I mistaking this for something else?

....asking a question after that statement is going to come whether it was from me or someone else ....saying "because it is" could be expanded a little and hopefully in a way that can still keep people ignorant of PWM until recently but willing to learn (like me) engaged :) otherwise why preach to the masses?

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
? I thought mikhail preaching the gospel of PWM to the masses and the intention of this thread was to engage new builders and explain what it's all about, Or am I mistaking this for something else?

....asking a question after that statement is going to come whether it was from me or someone else ....saying "because it is" could be expanded a little and hopefully in a way that can still keep people ignorant of PWM until recently but willing to learn (like me) engaged :) otherwise why preach to the masses?

I'm sure that is what he wanted to do. I'm equally sure that I'm not the person to answer that sort question.
I'm not the preacher in this church, just a follower.

You mentioned that you were sold on something that someone who knows far more than I want to said wasn't as good.
I found you the quote from him and you asked me why. I answered. I haven't the slightest idea the why, and I said to ask the guy who does.
How is that keeping people ignorant?

Shoot, I'd like to know as from what I've read about the two, one is pseudo-regulated one isn't. But that is with my very limited understanding of the boards involved.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@ShowerHead Crossed wires mate my bad apologies ... I have the same limited understanding as you at the moment and is only reason I asked

wanted to really build my own mod it's the one thing I've really got left to peruse in vaping now apart from getting or making a mech...once I've done all of the required research and practiced soldering of course :) just need to find a board mounted on the sled over here in the uk components seem to be a little harder to come by just seen 3 sites so far

Modmaker, modparts, stealthvape

Last edited:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's why this thread should be opened..... You wanna preach, you have to know a damb lot before preaching, second to answer questions on the topic, and for everyone who is replying give input on the subject.

We should be on these threads to inform, to suggest, and to preach on never touching cigarettes ever again.

Asking questions is not ignorant, we should all be here to help..... There are specific threads for specific questions and specifically subjects......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That's why this thread should be opened..... You wanna preach, you have to know a damb lot before preaching, second to answer questions on the topic, and for everyone who is replying give input n the subject.

We should be n these threads to inform, to suggest, and to never touching cigarettes ever again.

Asking questions is not ignorant, we should all be here to help.....

Is the thread closed manny? Wondered why Mikhail wasnt dropping back in

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is the thread closed manny? Wondered why Mikhail wasnt dropping back in
The guy has to make a living, so he is either ignoring the thread, or he's out making a buck..... He wouldn't start something and dump it, which I know he is not, he has always found time to help and offer assistance.....

I'm having a pwm built that has taken me maybe almost (2) months to make decisions on , parts, lipo, fire buttons, boards and enclosures wire type and location where buttons should be .....

He has replied and given me the best information and advice..... he knows his shit , and believe me he knows his shit, so I listened to him.....

So either someone pissed him off, there is always a troll out there to piss you off or he's busy......

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@ShowerHead Crossed wires mate my bad apologies ... I have the same limited understanding as you at the moment and is only reason I asked

wanted to really build my own mod it's the one thing I've really got left to peruse in vaping now apart from getting or making a mech...once I've done all of the required research and practiced soldering of course :) just need to find a board mounted on the sled over here in the uk components seem to be a little harder to come by just seen 3 sites so far

Modmaker, modparts, stealthvape

I wouldn't bother making a mech you are better off just making a straight MOSFET box, the FET has a very low ON resistance (rDS on) for instance the commonly used IRL3034PBF is between 0.0014 and 0.0017 ohms so you will get almost identical power to the coil maybe even more (depends on the mech switch) - with the added advantage that you don't have to keep cleaning the switch contacts every other day or worry overly about switch 'bounce' which can cause arcing in the switch and make it a resistor of sorts, thats part of what hot buttons are all about.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I wouldn't bother making a mech you are better off just making a straight MOSFET box, the FET has a very low ON resistance (rDS on) for instance the commonly used IRL3034PBF is between 0.0014 and 0.0017 ohms so you will get almost identical power to the coil maybe even more (depends on the mech switch) - with the added advantage that you don't have to keep cleaning the switch contacts every other day or worry overly about switch 'bounce' which can cause arcing in the switch and make it a resistor of sorts, thats part of what hot buttons are all about.

Thanks turtles :)

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks turtles :)
No worries - MOSFET boxes are nice for a dual parallel with the only issue being you have to build the coil just right for it as you have no control over voltage. I doubt that would be an issue for you though as you like making coils.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
No worries - MOSFET boxes are nice for a dual parallel with the only issue being you have to build the coil just right for it as you have no control over voltage. I doubt that would be an issue for you though as you like making coils.

Yeah no problems on that side of things and calculating amp draw cheers again matey

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, I have made a decision on a PWM mod.
First, not going to solder. It's been literally decades since I wielded a soldering iron in anger.
So, I'm ordering one from Mikhail, with a couple of small changes.
iPWM is how I'm going, saves $25 and is equal/superior to the NLPWM as far as I can see. And, it is what he recommends.

I had only one silly question, which was do both deliver the power to the coil without adjustment as the battery discharges. The answer is yes, they adjust the duty cycle to keep the set voltage heading to the coil until the battery is too low to do it.

Next PWM mod, I'll likely build, but I want the first one to be a quality piece and Mikhail is who I trust to do the job.

Now the waiting begins...

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Ok, I have made a decision on a PWM mod.
First, not going to solder. It's been literally decades since I wielded a soldering iron in anger.
So, I'm ordering one from Mikhail, with a couple of small changes.
iPWM is how I'm going, saves $25 and is equal/superior to the NLPWM as far as I can see. And, it is what he recommends.

I had only one silly question, which was do both deliver the power to the coil without adjustment as the battery discharges. The answer is yes, they adjust the duty cycle to keep the set voltage heading to the coil until the battery is too low to do it.

Next PWM mod, I'll likely build, but I want the first one to be a quality piece and Mikhail is who I trust to do the job.

Now the waiting begins...
As the batteries drain you need to turn up the pot to compensate

Outside of that the iPWM is a fantastic choice. I love the chip and the guy who makes them is really cool. He took the time to have a conversation with me about the chip after I had gotten mine. and he makes tons of cool chips for DIYers

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As the batteries drain you need to turn up the pot to compensate

Outside of that the iPWM is a fantastic choice. I love the chip and the guy who makes them is really cool. He took the time to have a conversation with me about the chip after I had gotten mine. and he makes tons of cool chips for DIYers
The board I posted, V2.2 smart PWM, you can set the duty cycle, turn it off, then hold fire and it locks the duty cycle. Then it increases it as the battery drains. So it's semi regulated. And say you have it at 70%, once you hit that battery voltage, it will start dropping with the input voltage like a mech.

It's a really smooth board, and quiet. It's really nice to be able to lock in your duty cycle for fresh batteries, and it remembers the setting through battery changes. I love it, and I would make sure to get a board with the smart feature. I know other boards do it, the one you mentioned may too.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
The board I posted, V2.2 smart PWM, you can set the duty cycle, turn it off, then hold fire and it locks the duty cycle. Then it increases it as the battery drains. So it's semi regulated. And say you have it at 70%, once you hit that battery voltage, it will start dropping with the input voltage like a mech.

It's a really smooth board, and quiet. It's really nice to be able to lock in your duty cycle for fresh batteries, and it remembers the setting through battery changes. I love it, and I would make sure to get a board with the smart feature. I know other boards do it, the one you mentioned may too.
thats a nice feature for sure.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
thats a nice feature for sure.
Yeah. I tend to rock it full blast, but for some builds it's just way nicer tamed down, and you still get the fast ramp up. The board is quiet, and it seems quieter and almost smoother when locked in. It's really just a great vape if you're into this kind of box. It's one of my favorite mods for sure. I want to get a CNC smaller box made at some point. No lean, and not as huge as a B box.

PWM RULES!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah. I tend to rock it full blast, but for some builds it's just way nicer tamed down, and you still get the fast ramp up. The board is quiet, and it seems quieter and almost smoother when locked in. It's really just a great vape if you're into this kind of box. It's one of my favorite mods for sure. I want to get a CNC smaller box made at some point. No lean, and not as huge as a B box.

PWM RULES!
Did you see the new ant chip big al made? looks pretty awesome. i'll probably just go with another iPWM personally though love the chip so much why change lol

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Waiting patiently on mine (Big Al's ipwm)...

Going with the dark one.....
2731d87d97f57f82eededca19a4e6c52.jpg

Last edited:

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Did you see the new ant chip big al made? looks pretty awesome. i'll probably just go with another iPWM personally though love the chip so much why change lol
I like that Big Al site... a lot! I need to open the soldering iron I bought and get to making a box. I'm gonna pull apart my mosfet parallel box and re wire it I think. Probably start with a new sled. I need to tear up some old electronics first and practice before I mess with high current stuff though. I keep putting it off.

Man, Big Al makes some really awesome looking boards. Really good prices too.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I like that Big Al site... a lot! I need to open the soldering iron I bought and get to making a box. I'm gonna pull apart my mosfet parallel box and re wire it I think. Probably start with a new sled. I need to tear up some old electronics first and practice before I mess with high current stuff though. I keep putting it off.

Man, Big Al makes some really awesome looking boards. Really good prices too.
Yeah i wish i had more time to do some stuff too. I really love big al's chip and more importantly his service is top notch. I always like supporting good people who are actually vapors and giving us good products. Builds a good community. Like for his ant chip he sent out like 6 fre one's to people to make boxes with so they can test it for him and give him feedback that he'll actually listen too

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Which box is suitable CNC wise for the big Al's IPWM 4s mounted sled not gonna go lipo as I like the idea of changing my dual 18650 batteries ...so far I put in my notes the 1590A box can I get away with anything smaller and still fit the button and 510 in

See I want a 30mm 510 as well
Not sure what button I'm landing on yet

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
1550p+ alpinetech gnc
7eacdb397fa95207a35040ac31c68896.jpg
daa7c803072f85bbb3fee256cc5af581.jpg
b31a0c7cfad07079c13bc249728364ce.jpg

Thanks manny looks like it's gonna be a bit tight on top as the 4s board is mounted on top of the sled direct to the contacts
might be better off with the DNA board for that box like you have there?

Looks sweet though :) is that one of Miks?

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
LoL manny you got the whole line up or something that might well fit I'll check the dimensions compared with the A

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Thanks manny looks like it's gonna be a bit tight on top as the 4s board is mounted on top of the sled direct to the contacts
might be better off with the DNA board for that box like you have there?

Looks sweet though :) is that one of Miks?
I didn't think of this but let me see what box mine is lol. duh i should have thought of it sooner. I'll check later when i get home

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
IMG_1900.JPG

Here's a pic of my Smoke Stack Mods B-Box with the V2.2 Smart PWM. Dual 18650. Its so huge, lol, but I have two B Boxes. I put a Vapehandle on them so I can just fling em around.

That's a standard finish, too. Root Beer Swirl. I think it looks dope, and the Temple sits nice on it, 30mm FDV. I can't get a consistent wicking job in my damn Temple though. Must keep trying! I can take pics of internals if anyone's interested.

PWM! Whoo. I dig this thread, though I do wonder if it belongs in unregulated. No offense intended, just with these always firing full voltage, I know initially when I got this box made, I was thinking HexOhm, prior to researching it fully first. You can't be building low like that on PWM... I wouldn't at least. .3 at the MINIMUM for me, and I like a pretty scorching vape. I tend to stick around .4

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
IMG_1900.JPG

Here's a pic of my Smoke Stack Mods B-Box with the V2.2 Smart PWM. Dual 18650. Its so huge, lol, but I have two B Boxes. I put a Vapehandle on them so I can just fling em around.

That's a standard finish, too. Root Beer Swirl. I think it looks dope, and the Temple sits nice on it, 30mm FDV. I can't get a consistent wicking job in my damn Temple though. Must keep trying! I can take pics of internals if anyone's interested.

PWM! Whoo. I dig this thread, though I do wonder if it belongs in unregulated. No offense intended, just with these always firing full voltage, I know initially when I got this box made, I was thinking HexOhm, prior to researching it fully first. You can't be building low like that on PWM... I wouldn't at least. .3 at the MINIMUM for me, and I like a pretty scorching vape. I tend to stick around .4
Yeah it should be in unregulated. even when i talked to the dude that makes them he doesn't recommend building lower then a .3 ohm for it in dual 18650 config. I build mine around .35-.4 and just turn down the pot a little from max

also that is one beautiful box

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah it should be in unregulated. even when i talked to the dude that makes them he doesn't recommend building lower then a .3 ohm for it in dual 18650 config. I build mine around .35-.4 and just turn down the pot a little from max

also that is one beautiful box
Yeah, I didn't wanna be a dick, but they really are unregulated. My may lock the duty cycle, have low voltage and reverse battery protection, detection for up to 4S and LiPo... it's pretty smart. However, that 8.4V prior to sag will fire anything I put on it, even a dead short. I think thats kinda the key as to why, and it just can be easily misconstrued as actually adjusting voltage, which we've established.

And thanks on the mod! Check him out. Name is Josh, he has a website, and B Boxes start at $65 for a mosfet in series or parallel. PWM ends up around $100. If you don't need something super custom, though he can do that, they have some great finishes ready to go.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
IMG_1900.JPG

Awesome box :) yeah show us the internals ...did look at the B box it's even bigger than the A I think

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yeah, I didn't wanna be a dick, but they really are unregulated. My may lock the duty cycle, have low voltage and reverse battery protection, detection for up to 4S and LiPo... it's pretty smart. However, that 8.4V prior to sag will fire anything I put on it, even a dead short. I think thats kinda the key as to why, and it just can be easily misconstrued as actually adjusting voltage, which we've established.

And thanks on the mod! Check him out. Name is Josh, he has a website, and B Boxes start at $65 for a mosfet in series or parallel. PWM ends up around $100. If you don't need something super custom, though he can do that, they have some great finishes ready to go.
Do you have a link?

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Of course! I looked and he has more swirl colors now. I love the Root Beer. The B Boxes are where it's at for going inexpensive, and they rock. The hammond lean with a 30mm atty is real, though. LOL.
I have a dual 26650 series unregulated mod for 30mm tanks. the lean is real LMAO

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can also PWM a single battery / parallel mod using low voltage 555 timer. I have one built but I can't get the paint right on it, keeps going flakey so it will be up for a strip and repaint over the next week or two. I don't rush them he he. As low ohm builds I use tend to play best at less than 3.7v I decided to make a parallel with PWM. Normal 555 use 4.5 -18v but the low voltage ones are ok with 2.5v -18v....good times.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You can also PWM a single battery / parallel mod using low voltage 555 timer. I have one built but I can't get the paint right on it, keeps going flakey so it will be up for a strip and repaint over the next week or two. I don't rush them he he. As low ohm builds I use tend to play best at less than 3.7v I decided to make a parallel with PWM. Normal 555 use 4.5 -18v but the low voltage ones are ok with 2.5v -18v....good times.
have you tried powder coating it?

VU Sponsors