Become a Patron!

"5.1 Now inactive"

Would you like to participate in PIF 5.0

• Total voters
T

Taver13

Quick question about hybrid top cap mods.
I know you can only use attys with a protruding 510 pin.
However, would a small bead of solder which protrudes from a non protruding pin be stable enough to suffice?
My kayfun pin is shorter than the housing, which is unusually short to begin with. Ive gotten around this problem by hammering a tiny piece of copper into the 'flat head' recess of the 510 pin and it works like a champ, where before it was too short to function at all.
Any other ideas?
Ill be home in a couple hours to check back.
i wouldnt chance it, if the solder gets a little hot for whatever reason especially if you are running low ohms, it will probobly move and cause a pretty bad short, possible venting situation.

Geauxst

A Banished Ghost of the Past
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
i wouldnt chance it, if the solder gets a little hot for whatever reason especially if you are running low ohms, it will probobly move and cause a pretty bad short, possible venting situation.
I'd have to agree with taver even if it doesn't melt it will compress over time

What about a spacer made from some kanthal wrapped around the pin and under the pin in the stove top coil style that should provide extra space that is more reliable

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd have to agree with taver even if it doesn't melt it will compress over time

What about a spacer made from some kanthal wrapped around the pin and under the pin in the stove top coil style that should provide extra space that is more reliable

Would you want to use Kanthal for that or a low resistance wire (nichrome etc...)? Seems to me like you're defeating the purpose of a hybrid cap if you're basically adding a spring in between the battery and contact.

No idea if it's safe or anything lol just thinking out loud

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Would you want to use Kanthal for that or a low resistance wire (nichrome etc...)? Seems to me like you're defeating the purpose of a hybrid cap if you're basically adding a spring in between the battery and contact.

No idea if it's safe or anything lol just thinking out loud
While yes I totally agree with you , I would get a button top battery and do it the right way but he seemed like he didn't want to drop the money on the battery so I was offering the safer alternatives which would be modify it into a non hybrid, as far as nichrom vs kanthal I wouldn't know I haven't messed with nichrom but if it would be sturdy enough yes I'd say it would be the better choice or if he could find some copper piece or maybe a pin from a cannibalize Atty or mod I mean there's a lot of different paths but I'd say solder isn't one in my opinion

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
While yes I totally agree with you , I would get a button top battery and do it the right way but he seemed like he didn't want to drop the money on the battery so I was offering the safer alternatives which would be modify it into a non hybrid, as far as nichrom vs kanthal I wouldn't know I haven't messed with nichrom but if it would be sturdy enough yes I'd say it would be the better choice or if he could find some copper piece or maybe a pin from a cannibalize Atty or mod I mean there's a lot of different paths but I'd say solder isn't one in my opinion
Oh yeah, I agree on the no solder route. Just asking for trouble with that. I have zero experience with hybrid mods, I basically went straight to regulated after egos so I'm just shooting the shit haha.

RZAwora

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alrighty folks, it seems I have successfully gotten my Tapatalk working to connect to this forum! I don't know what exactly the problem was and why it wouldn't connect, but I'm not going to worry about it since everything is fine now. I still can't get to the site with my iPhone using Safari, not sure why. Anyway, I'll be able to keep up with everything now. I'm happy that I'm reconnected with you all!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok fellas Ill go the safer route of trying to shim the insulator on the kayfun, and if that doesnt work, Ill drill a small hole in the center of the 510 pin and hammer a piece of copper in there.
As for the orchid, the pin does protrude, just not much. I may be able to shim its insulator or put a piece of copper in screw hole of the 'T riser' itself, so it doesnt screw in so far. Oh yea, I have tons of copper..
All I need is 1/8" with the kayfun and slightly less with the orchid.
But I will not be using solder as a contact.
Thanks for the insights guys.
Ill let you know what I came up with.

T

Taver13

Ok fellas Ill go the safer route of trying to shim the insulator on the kayfun, and if that doesnt work, Ill drill a small hole in the center of the 510 pin and hammer a piece of copper in there.
As for the orchid, the pin does protrude, just not much. I may be able to shim its insulator or put a piece of copper in screw hole of the 'T riser' itself, so it doesnt screw in so far. Oh yea, I have tons of copper..
All I need is 1/8" with the kayfun and slightly less with the orchid.
But I will not be using solder as a contact.
Thanks for the insights guys.
Ill let you know what I came up with.
hmm, ive never had any trouble running the orchid on a mech

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just a heads up guys no vape box today cause it requires a signature so I have to pass by the post office tomorrow and grab it

Heather

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I received all my stuff to get started DIY. I will be a juice maker. Some bottles I received are big, I am not sure why that happened. I plan to start messing around tomorrow! I need to figure out a designated area to work in.

Minamus

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
i didnt spell that right, just google it youll find it
got it and found some of the flavors i was looking for, for half the price others were selling it for like dragonfruit their site is $6 for 4oz and the other site is $17 for 4oz

T

Taver13

got it and found some of the flavors i was looking for, for half the price others were selling it for like dragonfruit their site is $6 for 4oz and the other site is $17 for 4oz
thats the benefit of buying directly from the manufacturer, if you buy a decent ammount at once, they have been know to throw in some free four ouncers

T

Taver13

I received all my stuff to get started DIY. I will be a juice maker. Some bottles I received are big, I am not sure why that happened. I plan to start messing around tomorrow! I need to figure out a designated area to work in.
your gonna have fuuuuuunnnnnn!!!!

D

Donald Bickers

youll be a pro in no time

D

Donald Bickers

I just feel like it is too simple. Like it can't be as easy as I see it in my mind. Where do you keep all your mixing stuff? Kitchen maybe
I have an apartment type fridge in my office I keep vg,pg,nicotin,and my bulk flavoring

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
VAPEMAIL teaser this thing is niffty has anyone checked it out yet?
9df3c2ad171207ae722f2700e04b3b90.jpg

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Noob question:
I'm not a DIYer. I've had good luck finding juices that I like. My problem is the OPPOSITE of most vapers: flavors are TOO strong for me usually. Is there any reason I can't simply dilute my juice with a little VG?

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Noob question:
I'm not a DIYer. I've had good luck finding juices that I like. My problem is the OPPOSITE of most vapers: flavors are TOO strong for me usually. Is there any reason I can't simply dilute my juice with a little VG?
Try a drop per 10 ml of vinegar or citric acid mixed in pg/VG solution to memo out the flavors

ColeGirl1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thanks, @Geauxst. That was my 2nd choice. I like to thin down the PG when I can, as it increases my tinnitus.

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Noob question:
A lot of vendor juice to me dripping they are harsh so 1 mellows it out 2 drops kinda of mutes the flavor and 3-4/turns it onto water basically

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thanks, @Geauxst. That was my 2nd choice. I like to thin down the PG when I can, as it increases my tinnitus.
Then definitely go with just plain distilled white vinegar put 1-2/drops my suggestion is put one and shake and try and if you want more add another but if you get to 3 dropps you almost need to add more VG cause its getting kinda watery by then

Faust

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
VAPEMAIL teaser this thing is niffty has anyone checked it out yet?
9df3c2ad171207ae722f2700e04b3b90.jpg

I've seen those and been tempted to buy the rebuildable head that they have cause supposedly it will fit an Atlantis and Melo tank also.

T

Taver13

I just feel like it is too simple. Like it can't be as easy as I see it in my mind. Where do you keep all your mixing stuff? Kitchen maybe
i have one of them small freezers in the corner of the kitchen with a table set up for all my mixing and rebuilding, got all my flavors, pg vg, all my nichrome, small screwdrivers, cutter and needlenose there, blowtorch and a drill. all serious modding goes down to the dungeon

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've seen those and been tempted to buy the rebuildable head that they have cause supposedly it will fit an Atlantis and Melo tank also.
There's no supposedly to it brother the left one is the preloaded coil (its an aspire Atlantis .5ohm coil head) and the RBC to the left ... I thought about pitting in my Atlantis but I kinda like this tank so I might try it out first it's basically an Atlantis with a subtank body style
ceef75a798eef100dff4d91a1b66426e.jpg

Faust

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
yup, popped a few fets that way. i stoked for the praxis, i wanna get a decent single coil genny for it for my NETS

my Favorite Genny tanks atm are my Krakens. Easy to do either single or dual coil.
20141225_152554_resized.jpg

Faust

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
There's no supposedly to it brother the left one is the preloaded coil (its an aspire Atlantis .5ohm coil head) and the RBC to the left ... I thought about pitting in my Atlantis but I kinda like this tank so I might try it out first it's basically an Atlantis with a subtank body style
ceef75a798eef100dff4d91a1b66426e.jpg

Sweet, will have to buy one then. I hate rebuilding stock coils and prefer to have a rebuildable cause I'm a cheap bastard and hate buying coils.

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh and it has a top fill option the Atlantis does not have

891afd0f6f44f5678ca0df6c40b7aa9b.jpg

Geauxst

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sweet, will have to buy one then. I hate rebuilding stock coils and prefer to have a rebuildable cause I'm a cheap bastard and hate buying coils.
See that my thoughts exactly ... Aspire should have made one like kanger did from the start ... I would just use the kanger but the RBC has a tight draw on an already tight draw tank its just to much so I'm gonna give this a go ... 35$ its gotta be worth it if its even equal to Atlantis

Faust

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i need a new kraken, broke the glass on my other, plus it was drilled out for auto drip
well the stainless one i have is this one
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...ken-genesis-styled-rebuildable-atomizer-2-5ml
but it's out of stock atm. They also have replacement glass for like $1.28, but also out of stock atm.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10009271/1577901-replacement-glass-tank-for-kraken-atomizer

Found a fast way to get stuff from fastech too. Order baterries. They now have expedited battery shipping. They eveidently ship it over by DHL who then throws it in the mail once it's in the states, got my last order in like 10 days.

VU Sponsors