Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She has a truly beautiful voice.
Interesting tidbit for those of us old enough to remember the old Batman TV show, she played Catwoman in the third season.

Wait, am I showing my dork card by knowing that?

She was beautiful and talented (d. 2008). I thought I read a long time ago that she was the original Catwoman, but you are right. She took over the role from Julie Newmar.

I wish they would put Batman on one of the rerun channels.

There was, I was surprised to learn, a 1943 film series of shorts, from 16 to 26 minutes per episode:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She was beautiful and talented (d. 2008). I thought I read a long time ago that she was the original Catwoman, but you are right. She took over the role from Julie Newmar.

I wish they would put Batman on one of the rerun channels.

There was, I was surprised to learn, a 1943 film series of shorts, from 16 to 26 minutes per episode:

My dad used to talk about going to the movies on Saturday primarily to watch the serials, rather than whatever the feature film was. I wonder if he watched these?

Yeesh. I guess it's no more violent than some of the old cartoons, Bugs Bunny & stuff like that.

Mr Bill was a result of a Saturday Night Live contest type thing. They had people send in home movies, and someone sent in a movie they made of this clay person named Mr Bill and they showed it. Evidently people liked it, because they then made a number of Mr Bill episodes themselves. Pretty much always getting squashed or hurt in various ways.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
First love never die
-SoKo

So sweet. I remember my first "boyfriend". He swam in my blowup pool and I swam in his. We had lunch on my patio, and lunch in his breakfast nook. We were inseparable until he moved away 😿 We were a bit younger than the two depicted in the vid, who appear to be 12-14 or so. Johnnie and I were 7-8.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never Too Late - Three Days Grace

No one will ever see this side reflected
And if there's something wrong, who would have guessed it?
And I have left alone everything that I own
To make you feel like it's not too late, it's never too late
Even if I say, "It'll be all right"
Still I hear you say, you want to end your life
Now and again we try to just stay alive
Maybe we'll turn it all around, 'cause it's not too late, it's never too late
The world we knew won't come back
The time we've lost can't get back
The life we had won't be ours again

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
SNL was started as a political slam and was never intended to last more than one season.
I heard that on a documentary on SNL

I had a friend over for dinner a couple years ago, maybe three, who insisted we watch SNL. After seeing it, I can say it has obviously gone from political slam to political propaganda. And it wasn't funny or entertaining at all. Friend loves it, go figure.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family :wave:
Feelin a little better everyday now, glad that's past, but still havin a hard time gettin the energy up to do my daily exercises:facepalm:. But I still struggle through them;)
I hope everyone is well and the day is bein kind to all:)

No photo description available.

Jimmy Page pictured in the mid-'60s, around the time he took lessons from John who taught him about harmony and guitar chops in general. John and Jimmy originally met at London's Selmer music shop and became friends. As Jimmy would later explain :
"Well, I did meet John McLaughlin, who was working in there. He came down from Doncaster, and he was living in London. He was sort of introducing himself on to the Jazz scene and welcomed with open arms, as you can imagine. He was instinctively the best, I could tell. I didn’t listen to a lot of Jazz - or it was selective, what I listened to - but I could tell from what I knew that he was easily the best that I was gonna hear or witness in front of me. He was the best one I was going to see, that’s for sure. He was working there, really, to practice all week, because the only day that was busy was Saturday. That’s what he said. Fantastic! This bloke knows what he’s doing and he knows where he’s going.
I would say he was the best jazz guitarist in England then, in the traditional mode of Johnny Smith and Tal Farlow. He certainly taught me a lot about chord progressions and things like that. He was so fluent and so far ahead, way out there, and I learned a hell of a lot."

May be an image of 1 person and guitar

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a friend over for dinner a couple years ago, maybe three, who insisted we watch SNL. After seeing it, I can say it has obviously gone from political slam to political propaganda. And it wasn't funny or entertaining at all. Friend loves it, go figure.
Yes they destroyed it after the first few years.:(
Those are the only episodes that I care to see.
And yes you are right it went from political slam to political propaganda;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be pop art of seaplane, helicopter and text

ON THIS DATE (56 YEARS AGO)
November 30, 1967 – Jefferson Airplane: After Bathing at Baxter's is released.
# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 4/5
# Allmusic 3.5/5
# Rolling Stone (see original review below)
After Bathing at Baxter's, is the third album by the Jefferson Airplane, released on November 30, 1967. It peaked at #17 on the Billboard 200 Top LP's chart. The first single, "The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil," barely missed the top 40 mark, charting at #42 while the second release, "Watch Her Ride," charted at #61 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Unlike Surrealistic Pillow, released earlier the same year, After Bathing at Baxter's is classified as psychedelic rock because it eschews the more commercial type pop songs, such as "Somebody to Love," that appeared on the earlier LP. As such, it was a watershed album; Jefferson Airplane was now a much heavier rock group. Jorma Kaukonen's electric guitar was especially more to the forefront in both volume and tone.
Bitten by the '60s San Francisco bug of extended musical explorations, the Jefferson Airplane flew into song-suites on After Bathing at Baxter's. But rather than being an organic jam-fest, it took the Airplane's singular white R&B jams and bled them into one another. The "Streetmasse" suite, for instance, combines two typically electrifying Airplane performances--"The Ballad Of You & Me & Pooneil" and "Young Girl Sunday Blues," both of which give off the adrenaline of an Americanized early Who with female harmony vocals--through a warped pastiche of vocal and percussive noodling ("A Small Package Of Value Will Come To You, Shortly").
San Francisco's cultural evolution didn't just affect the structure of the songs on After Bathing at Baxter's. No longer hiding behind the metaphors of the first two albums, the Airplane were now openly voicing the thoughts of their constituency--"There is a new way of thinking," sings Paul Kantner on his "Wild Tyme," and the very title of the "Hymn To An Older Generation" suite speaks for itself. "Spare Chaynge" is a nearly ten-minute instrumental led by Jorma Kaukonen's spaced-out guitar, the closest the Airplane had yet come to the musical free-for-all of their San Francisco brethren.
It is entirely possible that after one eliminates certain products of the Stax-Volt house band and some combinations that Bob Dylan has brought together for his back-up group, Jefferson Airplane could be the best rock and roll band in America today.
The criteria, to list a few, are that a group be able to provide from within itself enough good original material to sustain a prolonged effort both in performances and on recordings; that a group prove its ability as a professional and capable unit in live performance (not necessarily be able to reproduce a recorded work, but to bring off to general satisfaction a live performance if the group is involved in live performance;) and that a group contain members who are able to sing and play like professional musicians.
You have Grace Slick, surely one of the two or three best non-operatic female voices in the world; Jack Cassady, perhaps the strongest bassist around outside of a blues band; Marty Balin and Paul Kantner whose words and melodies are among the best currently available, outside of the obvious exceptions; and Jorma Kaukonen and Spencer Dryden who, while not outstanding instrumental virtuosos, are certainly original and inventive within the context of rock and roll, a wide context indeed. Got it?
It isn't very surprising that the Airplane is so good and that they have come up with probably the best, considering all the criteria and the exceptions, rock and roll album so far produced by an American group.
Hey all you out there with personal favorites which blow your heads off, listen very closely. Marty and Grace may not make love on stage, either with each other or their respective microphone stands, but "Ballad of You & Me & Pooneil" happens to be a fine song. The instrumental backing is traditional Airplane 2/4 rhythm, whiplash chording and all, brought up to date with a subtle variety of electronic and melodic refinements. The tune itself is a groove: a pretty melody with a rocking beat against a sort of atonal line.
The electronic segue is well-positioned and a nice dip into the modern classical music school. The most important use of electronics on this album, and by the Airplane in general, is not their long extended electronic jams which are oftentimes a bore, but where they use electronics—as in the superb tune "Young Girl Sunday Blues," an excellent product of the Balin-Kantner team—for enrichment of the instrumental and vocal melodies.
"Rejoyce" is not something that's particularly easy to hum along with, but it's a good display of Grace's amazing vocal control, her piano and Spencer's jazz ear. "Watch Her Ride" has a very south-of-Santa Barbara feeling; it wouldn't be a surprise to learn that it was composed in Los Angeles. "Spare Chaynge" proves both Jorma and Spencer to be gifted musicians fully capable of sustaining an instrumental, not highly complex, but highly interesting.
"Street Masse" and "How Suite It Is" are the best sections on each side, excellent in all respects. Jefferson Airplane is still the group that'll "get you there on time."
~ January 20, 1968
TRACKS:
Streetmasse
The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil (Paul Kantner) - 4:29
A Small Package of Value Will Come to You, Shortly (instrumental) (Spencer Dryden, Blackman, Bill Thompson) - 1:39
Young Girl Sunday Blues (Marty Balin, Kantner) - 3:33
The War Is Over
Martha (Kantner) - 3:26
Wild Tyme (H) (Kantner) - 3:08
Hymn to an Older Generation
The Last Wall of the Castle (Jorma Kaukonen) - 2:40
rejoyce ([n 1]) (Grace Slick) - 4:01
How Suite It Is
Watch Her Ride (Kantner) - 3:11
Spare Chaynge (Jack Casady, Dryden, Kaukonen) - 9:12
Schizoforest Love Suite
Two Heads (Slick) - 3:10
Won't You Try / Saturday Afternoon (Kantner) - 5:09
#jeffersonairplane

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All Games You Play....by 12 Stones
I probably shouldn't love this song, but lately I've been sinking, drowning, wallowing in a past I lost long ago. And there are words in this song that I really need to hear, to internalize, to accept as true so I can find my way back to shore.

I don't know why
And I don't know how
I let you control my inner self
As cold as you are
I'm counting the scars
They're proving to me just who you are
Now I know why
And now I know how
I'm better off without the

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes they destroyed it after the first few years.:(
Those are the only episodes that I care to see.
And yes you are right it went from political slam to political propaganda;)

Well it spawned Bill Murray, IMO one of the world's great actors:

The Razor's Edge
Groundhog Day
Lost in Translation
Rock the Kasbah

He's done many more movies than that. I would like to see more of them.

VU Sponsors