Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh oh my good thing for the day.....Tigglee was on top of fridge and trying to knock off the two little whiteboards along with the pens. It's a new game we have started. Lol, He knocks them off and I pick the stuff up, it makes me laugh. He also jumps from the floor to get them off. When I'm not in there to pick stuff up he plays with the pens, loses them and I have to hunt them down, lol.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Le Sexe Au Telephone (Telephone Sex) - 11 Acorn Lane

I put a "love" vote on that yesterday because it's one of my favorite songs ever, so cute and funny, and in a way sincere, but I won't go into that.

But I "loved" without realizing it was a re-mix. I don't like it nearly as much as the original. Broken link:

om/watch?v=FoEvKGeyVPc

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put a "love" vote on that yesterday because it's one of my favorite songs ever, so cute and funny, and in a way sincere, but I won't go into that.

But I "loved" without realizing it was a re-mix. I don't like it nearly as much as the original. Broken link:

om/watch?v=FoEvKGeyVPc
You are right, the original is better. Wish I had seen that one instead of the "do me do" mix, but c'est la vie

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lovely version of the song. So many versions of this song have been recorded, but that's the first time I heard it in French.

It's always beautiful, one of the most covered songs ever. It's been done maybe 10 times in French, besides Barlow, Enzo Enzo, Beautiful South, and many more I can't think of right now, and many instrumental covers of it, and maybe 100 or more times in English. It's a very old song by Gus Kahn (1846-1941). I believe the original title was actually the English, the well recognized "Dream a Little Dream of Me", and Louis Armstrong released it with Ella Fitzgerald, in English, but out there somewhere, and I can't find it but I know it exists because I've heard it, Armstrong did the song in French.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's always beautiful, one of the most covered songs ever. It's been done maybe 10 times in French, besides Barlow, Enzo Enzo, Beautiful South, and many more I can't think of right now, and many instrumental covers of it, and maybe 100 or more times in English. It's a very old song by Gus Kahn (1846-1941). I believe the original title was actually the English, the well recognized "Dream a Little Dream of Me", and Louis Armstrong released it with Ella Fitzgerald, in English, but out there somewhere, and I can't find it but I know it exists because I've heard it, Armstrong did the song in French.
I'm afraid that I have been generally far to American-centric in my music listening in the past. For example, would you believe I never even considered the idea that there was good jazz anywhere else in the world until I saw some of your posts? Never crossed my mind, never looked for it. Now I'm hooked on listening to some of the French jazz artists that you have posted, and am discovering others, but I'm almost ashamed now that I didn't even know there were French jazz artists.

I think the only music I had ever intentionally listened to previously that wasn't in English is Celtic, and a small amount of Latin music, mostly Mexican and Cuban, but even those I'm not overly familiar with.

But this thread is expanding my musical horizons.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But this thread is expanding my musical horizons.

This thread expands my musical horizons all the time too. I think what we learn to love depends on what we grew up with, what our grandparents and our parents liked and put on for us to listen to, then radio once we were able to control what stations we listened to, what our friends liked, and onward to other exposures, church, music lessons, school band, school choir, friends' garage bands, etc. into infinity.

I really never thought I liked jazz until I had to do some of that kind of programming for a while. I didn't want to come off as an ignorant ass, so I decided, as with any other kind of music, I would only play what sounded really good to me, and I wouldn't play what any other program hosts played. You get on the learning curve, learn the values and theories of a certain kind of music, learn of the great talents and the talented newcomers, and you come to love it.

Editing to add: Celtic is a strain I'm not very familiar with at all, but it almost always sounds good when I hear it.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My G String is drivin' me crazy, maybe it'll be better once it's broken in, but I don't get it. Tune it, perfect G, any fret along that string though gives me a slightly sharp version of the respective note. Makes my Am sound strange with one good A and one slightly sharp A.
Probably a stupid question but have you checked if all the frets are tightly seated, zero tolerance?

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Probably a stupid question but have you checked if all the frets are tightly seated, zero tolerance?
All I can say is that the novice in me thinks the frets are fine. And as I worked on more chords, it became apparent that this was on all the strings. Jumped on the first solution I ran across, saddle adjustment, so I went out this morning, got a good steel rule, measured the action at the 12th fret and it is right in the range the various online experts say it should be. So, I'm not adjusting the saddle after all. However, all the tips I've been reading suggest that, after using their standard tests (since I don't have feeler gauges to use), that it is actually the string height at the nut. That is a bit trickier to fix, but I may try it. Nuts and saddles both are cheap.

And good morning Jimi, good to see you today. Missed you yesterday.

Edited to add:
Close to the headboard, all strings produce sharps when fretting, this improves as I move closer to the body.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I missed my positive thing for yesterday
I woke yesterday sad because no-one was comin over but then my sister called and invited us out to her place for the day/lunch/dinner. I hadn't seen her since she moved out of town so we packed up and went. Had a wonderful day but when we came home the house /neighborhood was dark cold. Power came back on this mornin, a late Christmas present from the power company but all in all had a good Christmas.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Family :wave:
Sure missed everyone yesterday;)
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas:)

May be an image of text that says 'Shoutout to people whose Kindness isn't a strategy but way of life.'

e2c881cb0b3d50e351ca7718db6d5668.gif

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't mean to make you sad Bliss, I just thought that clip was a perfect example of someone who has the exact opposite attitude from Jimi's. Shrek wanted Christmas to be perfect which meant it had to go exactly the way he planned it, and when it didn't he viewed it as a complete disaster.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I didn't mean to make you sad Bliss, I just thought that clip was a perfect example of someone who has the exact opposite attitude from Jimi's. Shrek wanted Christmas to be perfect which meant it had to go exactly the way he planned it, and when it didn't he viewed it as a complete disaster.

I understood that. I've never seen any of the Shrek movies, so I didn't realize how poignant they could be. She's walking away from him with their three babies. Nor do I know what horrible thing he did to run everybody off. I just thought it was a sad scene with well drawn characters.

When using the "sad" icon, often it is the news or the song or whatever else that's sad, not the person reading, listening or viewing.

VU Sponsors