Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok gonna haveta go do a mashin operation and clean up a little over flow be back after supper :wave:

Jimi, when Jean became ill and you took over as chef, you asked for cooking ideas. This seems like a good time to step in and try to help.

You don't have to cook potatoes at a full rolling boil, so that it spills over, and it doesn't help them cook through any quicker. You can put the water on to boil when you've almost finished cutting up your potatoes. Put them in the water and let it finish coming to a full boil. Add your salt, and reduce the heat to simmer. Then it won't boil over. When the potatoes are almost done you'll start to smell the aroma, and that will remind you to get back to the kitchen, slide a knife into the biggest piece you see, and when it goes in easily the taders are done.

Just don't get comfy and accidentally take a nap while they're simmering.

I'm hungry for mashed potatoes now.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Blasphemy!!! :devil:
Nothing beats shrimp. Well, maybe Alaskan King Crab, but getting the meat out of the crab legs is kind of a pain, and can get a bit messy, so...but OK, lobster make the top three I guess.:teehee:

I really need to learn how to cook fish properly, I'll eat it at a restaurant but I can just never cook it right myself.

Haha, I'll have to come back later and talk more. Another mad day of work ahead.

It's just that salmon is more versatile than any other seafood because of its fat content, and as rich tasting as steak. You can make it light, lemony, brothy, or you can make it crusty and spicy, or chop it up and make salmon salad. You can't wreck it, it's so forgiving. Haven't tried it cooked on a cedar plank, but that has always sounded interesting.

I do love shrimp though, but one wrong step and you've got a plate of little rubber balls. They'll even sometimes ruin it in restaurant kitchens.

Like you though, I usually have seafood in restaurants, only rarely do it at home.

As for crab meat, I can take it or leave it. As you say, too much work, and you get all those little hard bits of cartilage and so forth. My uncle used to trap them at the coast, then my aunt made crab enchiladas from them. They were good, but IMO not great, though others thought they were great.

And I will NEVER again have a whole lobster in a restaurant. What a mess. So nice when they bring you a lobster tail all cooked and openened up.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, when Jean became ill and you took over as chef, you asked for cooking ideas. This seems like a good time to step in and try to help.

You don't have to cook potatoes at a full rolling boil, so that it spills over, and it doesn't help them cook through any quicker. You can put the water on to boil when you've almost finished cutting up your potatoes. Put them in the water and let it finish coming to a full boil. Add your salt, and reduce the heat to simmer. Then it won't boil over. When the potatoes are almost done you'll start to smell the aroma, and that will remind you to get back to the kitchen, slide a knife into the biggest piece you see, and when it goes in easily the taders are done.

Just don't get comfy and accidentally take a nap while they're simmering.

I'm hungry for mashed potatoes now.
Thank you my friend:hug:, I didn't have it up all the way just had it up too high but I'm gonna try your way next time, might be how Jean does it :rolleyes: They were pretty good very soft and easy to mash up.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Blasphemy!!! :devil:
Nothing beats shrimp. Well, maybe Alaskan King Crab, but getting the meat out of the crab legs is kind of a pain, and can get a bit messy, so...but OK, lobster make the top three I guess.:teehee:

I really need to learn how to cook fish properly, I'll eat it at a restaurant but I can just never cook it right myself.
Try the recipe I tried, the flavor was unbelievable

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family :wave:
Woke up to a blanket of white out side and more comin tonight, I see a snow shovel in my future:facepalm:
The real winter is comin next week high in single digit and lows below zero. The older I get the more I feel the cold, well maybe cause I lost all my fat for insulation:giggle:
I hope the day is bein kind to everyone;)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Jimmy Page
(January 9, 1944)

May be an image of 1 person and guitar

b01a0d777c808cb490d796a822300a06.jpg

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good mornin Family :wave:
Woke up to a blanket of white out side and more comin tonight, I see a snow shovel in my future:facepalm:
The real winter is comin next week high in single digit and lows below zero. The older I get the more I feel the cold, well maybe cause I lost all my fat for insulation:giggle:
I hope the day is bein kind to everyone;)
:wave: Around 6 inches here, so beautiful, all the trees are covered in snow. The future is here, lol, except no shove a broom since there is no walkway just the porches. And, yup, knew we wouldn't get by with temps being in 30s and 40s all winter long. Single digit highs begin on Saturday and zero below starts on Friday night, according to One Weather app on phone.
You take breaks when you are shoveling and wear those ice thingys on the bottom of your shoes (hope you still have them and are still in good shape 👍) be careful ! :hug:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
:wave: Around 6 inches here, so beautiful, all the trees are covered in snow. The future is here, lol, except no shove a broom since there is no walkway just the porches. And, yup, knew we wouldn't get by with temps being in 30s and 40s all winter long. Single digit highs begin on Saturday and zero below starts on Friday night, according to One Weather app on phone.
You take breaks when you are shoveling and wear those ice thingys on the bottom of your shoes (hope you still have them and are still in good shape 👍) be careful ! :hug:
Thank you my Dear Friend :hug: . We only got 4 and a half inches but it was beautiful here too, stuck to everything and made a winter wonderland, till I started shovelin anyway. The snow sure hasn't gotten any lighter this year, was a wet heavy snow. I did wear the ice spikes, they still work great and had to take breaks.

I can remember when I was a kid my brother and I would get up at 3:30 on days it would snow a shovelable amount and do my parents drive then we had drives that we did for people just to make 50 cents or a buck a drive, now you never see that, at least not around here.:crazy: We couldn't wait to do it now you can't get kids to do it, they must be too spoiled.:(

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My good thing for today is went to Kroger store to pick up somethin I needed for supper and seen they had Miyoko's plant based butter for 2 bucks each, They are usually 6 bucks but they said they weren't gonna have it anymore and it was a close out, they 4 left and I got them all :bliss:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok this is probably a bad idea to eat most sea foods anywhere except home. The reason is more than likely you will receive FARM RAISED GMO FED foods.

Oh I've been onto that for a long, long time. I never get tilapia in stores or restaurants. I know how it's farmed. Will never get those cheap rings of shrimp you can buy, arranged around a bowl of chili sauce under a plastic dome, because I'm afraid they come from some polluted aquaculture.

I'm attracted to certain terms, like when I made the turbo-pampering dinner I posted on the cooking thread, for my friend going through a divorce. The stores were sold out of lobster tails, so I bought wild Argentine red shrimp.

Other things I've had in the last year or two:

Chilean Sea Bass (restaurant)
Wild red snapper (restaurant)
Wild caught salmon (grocery store)

It tells you why fine dining restaurants are so expensive, not just because they're fancy pants with a harpist in the corner, but because the food is carefully sourced, usually in limited quantities because that's all that is available, and they can list it on the menu as what it is. But that's why seafood is kinda limited for me.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My good thing for today is went to Kroger store to pick up somethin I needed for supper and seen they had Miyoko's plant based butter for 2 bucks each, They are usually 6 bucks but they said they weren't gonna have it anymore and it was a close out, they 4 left and I got them all :bliss:

That makes me wonder if Miyokos is discontinuing it, or Kroger just doesn't want to carry it. Maybe they're not selling much of it. The price of dairy butter is pretty alarming too though.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They said it was just a Kroger thing, they are re-doin the whole stores around here. A store across the river always has it;) I love the stuff

I'm worried now though. I tried to search whether it was a Myokos problem or just a Krogers decision. Sometimes a competing maker of any kind of product will offer some kind of bribe or kickback or incentive to oust the one. That's how Coca Cola gets many excellent cola drinks out of the stores, if they won't allow themselves to be merged to Coca Cola.

Then I read that Myoko was kicked out of her own company, and I'll never understand how this can happen, but if I ever made a product I would never have a corporation with a board of directors:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comments/11484tq
then

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hate to do this but I haveta go, got kitchen/dining room pick up duty yet and a final check of everything else, and I am just beat, the shovelin beat me. Thank you for playin and hope to see you in the mornin. :wave:

VU Sponsors