Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family :wave:
It's snowin here, was hot all week 50's 60's and today it snows:crazy:
I hope the day finds everyone well and havin a good day;)

On Feb. 15, 1967, a bunch of guys, who had been playing in different bands in the Chicago night club scene, got together for the first time to form a band called The Big Thing.
They later changed their name to "Chicago Transit Authority". The city of Chicago told them they couldn't use that name so they shortened it to just "Chicago" and became one of the largest selling bands in the history of music.
May be an image of 5 people

May be an image of clarinet, oboe and text that says 'Unusual Instruments of the Orchestra #16 The Dill Piccolo ...The wind instrument that plays only sour notes.'

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi Wolfie. Glad you survived "Fat Tuesday" with your waistline where you want it.

I believe there may be some long forgotten but not shaken biological imperative to "Fat Tuesday". There is something like it wherever there is a carnival tradition. Brazil has it at the end of their carnival season, but they call it something else. Uruguay has it, there called "Pancake Day". Cuba has it, but may have taken it from the Spanish, or the Taino who already inhabited the island may have had something like carnival. Many first nations of this hemisphere already had something like it. Puerto Rico has carnival in Ponce. Spain has "Jueves Lardero" (fat Thursday) right before the fasting season of Lent. In France they have annual carnival in various cities. In Italy they celebrate "Carnevale". All of it takes place right before the Lenten fasting time.

The restaurants here in San Antonio have "Party Gras" the same week as New Orleans Mardi Gras, but we have our Fiesta later in the spring, the earliest rites of which originated with the Mexican culture that was here already when the Europeans arrived, no matter what the history over-writers want to make of them. That includes the "Battle of Flowers", which refers to the early spring flowers competing to please the gods. Carnival in Nice, France also has a "Battle of Flowers" day. New Orleans' Mardi Gras itself is really a misnomer. The celebration would be better described as "carnival" culminating Fat Tuesday, or "Mardi Gras", the last hurrah before Lent. In all instances of this global tradition, more elements have been piled on over the years.

Some who would try to look past the religious significance placed on Fat Tuesday (the religious overlay having really a very short time in the vast stretch of history) see it as a slaughter day, when we were are coming out of the lean times of winter. We would clean out what remained of our winter stores of foods and feast like mad, in anticipation and celebration of the coming re-greening of the land, birds laying eggs again, bunnies hopping around the hillsides, tender shoots popping out of the ground, fruit appearing again in the landscape.

This week I found myself fighting the urge to say "hell with eating plans, to hell with moderation" and it did leave me feeling uncomfortable, wondering why I would stray from the habits that leave me feeling in control, satisfied, never deprived. What sense of deprivation would make me have an extra cheat day on Fat Tuesday when our lives are no longer governed by seasons, by nature, by the availability of food?

Anyway, I'm glad you survived the "chezzz sauce" and would love to have the recipe. I made you a mashed potato cake to put your chezzz sauce on next time. It has some chicken on top to dip in the sauce too.

View attachment 212929
Well, Thank You Bliss, truly appreciate you indulging in my sinfulness. I know it will be so very tasty with the chezzzz sauce. But, for giving out my recipe, I would have to kill you after you have it.

The funny thing is, I didn't even know it was Fat Tuesday, it worked out well with eating the several small sauce bowls of chezzzz dip. I'd be gladly to send a jar to you, but I know you want your privacy, BUT....if you decide you really really really want to try the best (lol) chezzzz dip sauce in this side of the world, I will be more than pleased to send you some.

So very happy :bliss: you are back with us. And, no apologies necessary, sometimes we all have to vent, it's very understandable.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This was terrifying to Calie and scary for me.

Was in the kitchen doing something and I didn't hear nor see Calie running into the kitchen. All the sudden I hear like smack sound against the refrigerator. Look down and poor Calie had her head stuck in a tissue box, she was FREAKING OUT big time. It was scary for me cause I was trying to get it off her head and she was going CRAZY. It took a bit to catch her safely without giving me a hundreds of scratches, but finally, PHEW, I apprehended the MONSTER that ATE her head. :teehee:
:teehee: It was so funny after the fact :teehee:
and shame on me for not putting the tissue box in recycle. Yup, this was the good thing for the day cause it was so funny.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good afternoon Family :wave:
Not a very good day here today, Jean has been having bad back pain and swellin up at the surgery site, we were up all night. She went and seen her doctor to try to get something for the pain but no luck.:mad:
I hope everyone is well and havin a good day;)

May be an image of 1 person and text

May be an image of text that says 'PEOPLE BORN IN THE '50s, '60s, and '70s HAVE LIVED IN... 7, or 5 decades 2 centuries 2 millenia and we had the best music, the most beautiful cars, drive-in theaters, soda fountains, and happy days. AND WE'RE NOT EVEN THAT OLD YET. WE'RE JUST THAT COOL!'

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree, we need an icon for "I'm confused".

Glad you're back.
Yeah, I guess that didn't really answer anything. It's just hard to explain what's been on my mind this past week. I had a bit of an emotional crisis I guess, triggered by something that someone said which caused me to retreat into my head while I worked through my conflicted and confused emotions. That probably doesn't clear things up much either, but as I said it's hard for me to explain.

VU Sponsors