Become a Patron!

Alternate Universe

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So no longer coughing up phlegm but my mouth is dry and lips are sore. I guess I should switch to all vg for a while pretty sure my vapes.com free sample was high pg and I was chain vaping it and that's the culprit

Are you drinking enough water? Not coffee or pop, just water.
Ya just gotta..I get chapped lips so easy it's ridiculous. ;)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When I quit smoking, I had some issues similar to yours for a couple to 3 months, @cherrycakes . Like CaFF said, definitely stay hydrated, especially with a high pg ratio. I can't use over 20% vg or I feel like I have pneumonia. I drink LOTs of fluids, mainly crystal light.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I decided I didn't want to let my carbon steel Mora 510 turn black on it's own, so I did a forced patina using yellow mustard for a about 2.5 hours and then a paper towel soaked in lime juice. Took a few hours, but I think it turned out nice for my first try.

Initial mustard pattern:

The results. :)
The texture of the towel transferred to the knife, alone with fading/altering the mustard's tones.
It's got an opalescent tone to it like fish scales...pretty cool.

Really hard to photograph it as there is that bit of iridescence and light does funky things when it hits it.
It's a tad darker overall then the pics show, but I can't help it or I lose the details.

Last edited:

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just bought a charcoal grill. Been meaning to for months. Kept it simple, it'sjust me and ssometimes the little one. Apartment life, sigh.
Nothing wrong with apartment life as long as property management is good. Been doing it myself for quite a while. I totally get the whole home ownership thing, but there are always trade-offs

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nothing wrong with apartment life as long as property management is good. Been doing it myself for quite a while. I totally get the whole home ownership thing, but there are always trade-offs

dude
I would rather live in an apartment again.
there's always some new expensive thing to fix.
like the bathroom sink
or water heater
or roof.

jesus christ

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I decided I didn't want to let my carbon steel Mora 510 turn black on it's own, so I did a forced patina using yellow mustard for a about 2.5 hours and then a paper towel soaked in lime juice. Took a few hours, but I think it turned out nice for my first try.

Initial mustard pattern:

The results. :)
The texture of the towel transferred to the knife, alone with fading/altering the mustard's tones.
It's got an opalescent tone to it like fish scales...pretty cool.

Really hard to photograph it as there is that bit of iridescence and light does funky things when it hits it.
It's a tad darker overall then the pics show, but I can't help it or I lose the details.
If you want deeper tones go to a paint supply store and ask for a product called osfo. It is a phosphoric acid and gives a very nice blacking effect. Just brush it on with any small paint brush and when you're done neutralize the acid with windex with ammonia.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just bought a charcoal grill. Been meaning to for months. Kept it simple, it'sjust me and ssometimes the little one. Apartment life, sigh.

Wish I could, but nowhere safe to put one. No balcony or such and anything left outside downstairs will be stolen or vandalized.

I do have some nice cast iron though, including my Lodge CI Grill Pan that my Mom bought me.
It does a pretty good job in lieu of a real grill. :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you want deeper tones go to a paint supply store and ask for a product called osfo. It is a phosphoric acid and gives a very nice blacking effect. Just brush it on with any small paint brush and when you're done neutralize the acid with windex with ammonia.

Cool, thank you. :)

Does it effect existing patinas, or would it be for if I did another knife only?

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a nice patio area. I just never go out there. Need to pull patio furniture out of storage and start sitting outside some.
Wish I could, but nowhere safe to put one. No balcony or such and anything left outside downstairs will be stolen or vandalized.

I do have some nice cast iron though, including my Lodge CI Grill Pan that my Mom bought me.
It does a pretty good job in lieu of a real grill. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yes, Ace, you should! It's nice to be on a patio/balcony and just watch the world go by. I sit in a swing that hangs from the tree on nice days. Just peaceful. Fewer days in the hammock, cuz ApeShitPuppy tries to climb in with me.

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool, thank you. :)

Does it effect existing patinas, or would it be for if I did another knife only?
It will darken everything including the fish scale design. If you leave it on to long it could overpower the current design but that would take about an hour or so. Do it in 15 minute soaks for desired darkness.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It will darken everything including the fish scale design. If you leave it on to long it could overpower the current design but that would take about an hour or so. Do it in 15 minute soaks for desired darkness.

Right on, good to know. :)

I took a couple more photos with my velcro-fixed old Canon, it just does a better job for this sort of work. This is much closer to actual color, if a tad bit too dark.

The patterns and variations in tone actually show up fairly well to the naked eye. Camera is having fits with it though. :D

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0015.JPG

IDK why that one spot appears to have rust, must be a weird spot in the metal?
There isn't any rust there and nothing rubs off at this point. It's been oiled and rubbed well too.

At any rate, as a n00b to doing a patina, I'm pretty happy with it.

vapin Grampa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Right on, good to know. :)

I took a couple more photos with my velcro-fixed old Canon, it does a better job for this sort of work. This is much closer to actual color, if a tad bit too dark...

View attachment 5133

View attachment 5132

IDK why that one spot appears to have rust, must be a variation in the metal?
There isn't any there and nothing rubs off at this point. It's been oiled and rubbed well.
I acid etched a Damascus blade and found a couple of tiny copper spots in it. He he. Metal was just not blended perfect.

Your blade looks freakin great.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I acid etched a Damascus blade and found a couple of tiny copper spots in it. He he. Metal was just not blended perfect.

Your blade looks freakin great.

Thank you very much!
I'm really happy to hear your impressions and input on it, as you know a lot more about it than I do. :)

I had no idea the lime-juiced paper towel would transfer it's texture/pattern that way...gives me ideas for if there is a next time. ;-)

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I'm waaaay too impatient for a charcoal grill. Plus I burn the shit out of good meat while the inside is still cold. lol

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you very much!
I'm really happy to hear your impressions and input on it, as you know a lot more about it than I do. :)

I had no idea the lime-juiced paper towel would transfer it's texture/pattern that way...gives me ideas for if there is a next time. ;-)

Kinda like snakeskin looking.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Caffs been oiling and rubbing again.
Gotta keep stuff lubed when ya be rubbin' ya know.... ;)

noevil.gif

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@gg. Ive been back and forth with gas vs charcoal. Im aactually good with both. Just opted for coal this time.

@CaFF try plastic wrap layed over with wrinkles in it. Dad used to do that with paint and stain. Gives a really cool look.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching NASCAR on my OTA feed from ABC. Which is in HD on my old Toshiba 720p HDTV that was free. No love for the lowly CRT anymore. :)

Got me some chilli cheese bacon dawgs too....lots of stuff in there...Denison's chunky chilli, habs, olives, onions, lots of chile powders, etc.

P1020254.JPG

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Someone help me!! I use protanks and minis. I make my own coils. I keep a bunch of them so I can swap out on the fly. I've always used 32g kanthal, 4 wraps for roughly 2.2 +/- ohms. I just made one, came out at 2.3 ohms. I make another, it comes out at 5.something. What? I tested on an ohm reader and an MVP. Scrapped it. Made another and another. Same thing! What the hell is going on? This is 32g from Temco. No issues before, so why all of a sudden? >bam!< Jacked up ohms. ???

moecat

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Someone help me!! I use protanks and minis. I make my own coils. I keep a bunch of them so I can swap out on the fly. I've always used 32g kanthal, 4 wraps for roughly 2.2 +/- ohms. I just made one, came out at 2.3 ohms. I make another, it comes out at 5.something. What? I tested on an ohm reader and an MVP. Scrapped it. Made another and another. Same thing! What the hell is going on? This is 32g from Temco. No issues before, so why all of a sudden? >bam!< Jacked up ohms. ???
You're a cloud chaser ... c'mon, admit it ... ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That is weird. I'd say you might have a loose lead on the multimeter, but you used the MVP as well.

Dunno??

Perhaps a bad connection somewhere? I'd check the resistance with just the wire, then again once wired up. Sounds like a short.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

i would gladly help ya hon, but i have no idea what you just said.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm baffled :confused:
I've never seen this happen. I checked the legs where I clipped, nothing poking through. I'm so truly confused by this.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
guess i should visit this thread sometimes....since i gave birth to it. think i have post natal depression still.

Err, when where you preggo?

I don't know how I missed that one...I'm sorry.

*hugs*

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm baffled :confused:
I've never seen this happen. I checked the legs where I clipped, nothing poking through. I'm so truly confused by this.

that is why i wouldn't ever try to build a coil. that or worse would happen every time. i just know it.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nascar: the only place where being "tight in the center" is considered a bad thing. ;)
hey i found a channel on uk tv dedicated to nascar :)
edit: it's not 'dedicated' to it. it just shows all the car programs

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well damn, some fool shot a round off like right across the street. Loud too, def not a .22.
IDK if anyone hit but there's cops streaming in like ants....arg.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
lol i haven't been preggers since i was 18. i meant i gave birth to this thread, hence the post natal (partum) depression. capisce?

Didn't Tom Cruise say there was no such thing? He's had lots of babies so he must know. o_O

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't understand Nascar. At all. I went to some race at Darlington Raceway, bought tickets for an ex boyfriend's birthday present. Couldn't tell who was in the lead since they're all going around in the same damn circle. The highlight of my day was the fried bologna sandwich. lol

VU Sponsors