Become a Patron!

Billet Box Appreciation Thread

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Awhile back I asked this group which colors they thought were the most popular. There is certainly room for argument there and it made for an interesting discussion.

Something that I did notice is that for the past 3 weeks the last color to go was Kurbis/Orange. This last weekend there was still Kurbis boxes with either stainless or MOP buttons available 2 hours after the launch.
Hard pressed to pick a fav, but orange is my favorite color, and the fact that you can easily couple it with black (my fav combo) makes it one of my favorites for sure...

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Considering selling off my DotAio and DotShell in favor of this SXK Supbox. Thoughts?
Idk about your usage of the Dot, but I say go for it. Love the looks and Idea of the Subbox.
I have been thinking about putting my Dot up. I like it just fine, but BB wins for me every time.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Honestly they vape damn near identical. The issue for me is the way the Dotaio channels airflow UK through the panel. Condensation is a bitch.

For me to keep a setup it must serve a purpose... and annoyance is not one of them

Condensation would annoy me, especially excessive... the minor amount of the Snail/BB is acceptable... the amount of let’s say when I last had a BB with the Exocet and the like wasn’t.

We spend so much on set ups as it is, and for me devices can’t be finicky or an annoyance in the least to be kept.

Like the Saga series mod I have... everything is nice... but the button, it annoys me, so after 1 day, it’s in the drawer til I find a suitable button replacement... and honestly thinking of selling it along with the series deck... for its serving no purpose in my drawer

Now the question would be... is the annoyance of the DotShell worth swapping to an unknown with that mod in question? It’s in its hype stage, so only the positives are out there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me to keep a setup it must serve a purpose... and annoyance is not one of them

Condensation would annoy me, especially excessive... the minor amount of the Snail/BB is acceptable... the amount of let’s say when I last had a BB with the Exocet and the like wasn’t.

We spend so much on set ups as it is, and for me devices can’t be finicky or an annoyance in the least to be kept.

Like the Saga series mod I have... everything is nice... but the button, it annoys me, so after 1 day, it’s in the drawer til I find a suitable button replacement... and honestly thinking of selling it along with the series deck... for its serving no purpose in my drawer

Now the question would be... is the annoyance of the DotShell worth swapping to an unknown with that mod in question? It’s in its hype stage, so only the positives are out there...

Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks. Signed up for the 70W version and if I continue to enjoy it I'll probably wind up selling the AIO, which is currently my work carry.
I guess even if I'm not crazy about the Supbox as a replacement it can still serve as a nice SBS mod for one of my MTL RTAs. Win win.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks. Signed up for the 70W version and if I continue to enjoy it I'll probably wind up selling the AIO, which is currently my work carry.
I guess even if I'm not crazy about the Supbox as a replacement it can still serve as a nice SBS mod for one of my MTL RTAs. Win win.
Perfect!

I honestly probably use one of the indestructible mods if I still worked in the field... attach a Subtank with at least 5ml and a vape band over the tank... carry a 15ml bottle for the day.

Work carry can be simple like one of those Aegis Solos or whatever kits... and a back up pod, coils. All about the nic fix.

HVAC industrial installation, no worries of clouds or needing to be discrete. Hell last time I was in the field, I always had cigars going while working lol

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has anyone ever replaced the screen gasket and screen? Going to be doing one here in a bit, just wondering if there is anything I need to be careful of, or watch out for?

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Has anyone ever replaced the screen gasket and screen? Going to be doing one here in a bit, just wondering if there is anything I need to be careful of, or watch out for?

I would disconnect the little plug at the bottom of the DNA60 board from the button side first. It can also be helpful to move the DNA60 board up and out of the way so that you can push from the bottom of the screen if it is one of the newer boxes with all of the clear silicone in them.

This might be helpful: Replacing Billet Box Screen

Though I wouldn't use superglue on anything in my billet box other than magnets.

Last edited:

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The Alien Invasion of Billet Box Land (Part Deux)

I recently purchased two EVL Alien boro atomizers from separate sources via Facebook drops. The great convenience and performance of the VapeSnail helped get me excited about another complete boro solution. As background I have six ‘Snails in rotation in what I call my working Billet Boxes and a seventh waiting for a box. They are what I use for everyday vaping including all out of the house duties including golfing. They are all setup wide-open with a 3mm ID fused Clapton at about 0.5 ohms. I use temp control with a short 60W boost to get to about 410F. All use threaded hybrid ‘suck tubes’. For the record the ‘Snail has 4mm chimney opening.

Golfing has been my torture test since I almost always walk using a pushcart. My working unit is covered by a Treasury leather sleave. I bring an extra loaded BB in a Desce pouch which is stored in a compartment on my push cart. My working unit when not in my hand is strapped on the carts dash with an elastic strap. Combine this with high temps and many units leak at some point. In 30+ rounds of golf with this combination the ‘Snail has only leaked once due to my wicking.

The EVL Alien

Here are the specifications:
316 Stainless Steel
Polycarbonate Tank
PEEK Insulators
Airflow insert sizes: 1.0,1.5, 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0mm
Spares pack including all O rings, and two spare post screws
EVL Tin stuffed with Muji organic cotton

The first thing that I noticed when building the Alien was that it was not assembled very well. The posts for mounting the coil were not very tight. I assembled a coil in the deck and the resistance readings were outrageously high and variable. I had to remove the coil and completely disassemble everything, clean and retighten. I was then able to get realistic resistance readings on my coil. I used the same type coil used with great success in the ‘Snail.

Just as with the ‘Snail I used no airflow inserts. Warning! Do not do this. Regardless of how the Alien is wicked if you do not install an airflow insert it will eventually leak. Perhaps not right away but you are guaranteed to have a mess eventually. I’ve been able to wick anything that I’ve tried including mesh based rta’s and rda’s and chain vape them without leaking. The Alien needs the insert.

So I installed the 3.0mm insert. The coil must be removed to do this but I was able to salvage the coil. Now I was able to get through a tank of liquid without it leaking from the intake port for a while. With all of the proper wicking precautions on the second tank a good portion of the tank spit out through the intake port. The solution was a 2.5mm ID coil with proper wicking. This is with e-liquid that is 75% VG. Now the intake port leaking is fixed.

The Alien has a unique feature. It can also be used in the Delro with a front airflow intake. To accomplish this it has an offset insert in the chimney that one has to rotate to align with the threads of the unit it is being installed in. You will be plagued with the ‘Check Atomizer’ message. Even when I was able to get a hybrid tip working, say by removing the o-ring or using a tip from Koncio or JMK that doesn’t use an o-ring, it would eventually quit working all of sudden. Halfway through a tank along comes ‘Check Atomizer’.

All this flakey electrical conductivity also prevented me from using temp control. The DNA60 needs to see a reasonable resistance curve to recognize a coil as ‘Temp-Sensing’. This requires a certain amount of electrical integrity in the atomizer that the Alien just doesn’t have.

Something else was happening. I would occasionally get gurgling. Not from the coil flooding the deck, but from the amount of e-liquid building up in and around the rotating insert in the chimney. If I removed the Alien from the Billet Box I would find a substantial amount of e-liquid all over the back of the Boro compartment.

The solution was to use the original Billet Box 510 nut with the o-ring. Meticulously clean the threads on both the Billet Box and the nut with a toothbrush and alcohol solution. Disassemble the Alien chimney and clean it the same way. I used Keg Lube on all of the chimney o-rings and on the square seal for the tank to deck-top seal. It was also leaking.

I believe that some of my problems are due to my wanting to get the maximum amount of air and e-juice through the Billet Box format. This seems to maximize the stress put on the atomizer unit. The Alien’s design flaws all seem to come apart in this environment. I have seen comments from MTL vapors that simply love the Alien.

Temp Control on the Billet Box puts me in a small minority. I’ve had issues with anodized bridges like the Blue Xeta and the Shadow Heir staying in TC mode, although not as severe as with the Alien. I believe that the offset insert in the chimney is the major culprit here. And there is no easy way to get this thing out for cleaning. The one time I was able to do so was when it was so flooded with e-liquid that it was almost ready float out.

For now there are no leaks. I even took it golfing once. It’s been two weeks since I received my first Alien and four days without a leak. I still can’t use Temp Control. And I haven’t broken open the sealed tin of the second Alien because I may still sell it. But I probably won’t. The flavor is great. Better than the Xeta, ‘Snail and ‘Shell. I just started working with a Shadow Heir yesterday so I can’t compare. The 3.0mm airflow doesn’t seem as restrictive as I thought it would be. Airflow feels better than what I remember of the Bridg’d which is 3.0mm.

The bottom line… I can live with using the 510 nut and the meticulous cleaning regimen. I’ll even vape in Power mode for the flavor; as long as the leaking stays away. Besides, it opens up a whole new world of 510 drip tips. An unexplored shaft in the deeper regions of the rabbit hole. But for now the Alien will not displace any ‘Snails in my Billet Box land. In fact if I had to purchase another RBA for a working Billet Box it would be another ‘Snail.

1599780992349.jpeg

Last edited:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Alien Invasion of Billet Box Land (Part Deux)

I recently purchased two EVL Alien boro atomizers from separate sources via Facebook drops. The great convenience and performance of the VapeSnail helped get me excited about another complete boro solution. As background I have six ‘Snails in rotation in what I call my working Billet Boxes and a seventh waiting for a box. They are what I use for everyday vaping including all out of the house duties including golfing. They are all setup wide-open with a 3mm ID fused Clapton at about 0.5 ohms. I use temp control with a short 60W boost to get to about 410F. All use threaded hybrid ‘suck tubes’. For the record the ‘Snail has 4mm chimney opening.

Golfing has been my torture test since I almost always walk using a pushcart. My working unit is covered by a Treasury leather sleave. I bring an extra loaded BB in a Desce pouch which is stored in a compartment on my push cart. My working unit when not in my hand is strapped on the carts dash with an elastic strap. Combine this with high temps and many units leak at some point. In 30+ rounds of golf with this combination the ‘Snail has only leaked once due to my wicking.

The EVL Alien

Here are the specifications:
316 Stainless Steel
Polycarbonate Tank
PEEK Insulators
Airflow insert sizes: 1.0,1.5, 2.0, 2.5 & 3.0mm
Spares pack including all O rings, and two spare post screws
EVL Tin stuffed with Muji organic cotton

The first thing that I noticed when building the Alien was that it was not assembled very well. The posts for mounting the coil were not very tight. I assembled a coil in the deck and the resistance readings were outrageously high and variable. I had to remove the coil and completely disassemble everything, clean and retighten. I was then able to get realistic resistance readings on my coil. I used the same type coil used with great success in the ‘Snail.

Just as with the ‘Snail I used no airflow inserts. Warning! Do not do this. Regardless of how the Alien is wicked if you do not install an airflow insert it will eventually leak. Perhaps not right away but you are guaranteed to have a mess eventually. I’ve been able to wick anything that I’ve tried including mesh based rta’s and rda’s and chain vape them without leaking. The Alien needs the insert.

So I installed the 3.0mm insert. The coil must be removed to do this but I was able to salvage the coil. Now I was able to get through a tank of liquid without it leaking from the intake port for a while. With all of the proper wicking precautions on the second tank a good portion of the tank spit out through the intake port. The solution was a 2.5mm ID coil with proper wicking. This is with e-liquid that is 75% VG. Now the intake port leaking is fixed.

The Alien has a unique feature. It can also be used in the Delro with a front airflow intake. To accomplish this it has an offset insert in the chimney that one has to rotate to align with the threads of the unit it is being installed in. You will be plagued with the ‘Check Atomizer’ message. Even when I was able to get a hybrid tip working, say by removing the o-ring or using a tip from Koncio or JMK that doesn’t use an o-ring, it would eventually quit working all of sudden. Halfway through a tank along comes ‘Check Atomizer’.

All this flakey electrical conductivity also prevented me from using temp control. The DNA60 needs to see a reasonable resistance curve to recognize a coil as ‘Temp-Sensing’. This requires a certain amount of electrical integrity in the atomizer that the Alien just doesn’t have.

Something else was happening. I would occasionally get gurgling. Not from the coil flooding the deck, but from the amount of e-liquid building up in and around the rotating insert in the chimney. If I removed the Alien from the Billet Box I would find a substantial amount of e-liquid all over the back of the Boro compartment.

The solution was to use the original Billet Box 510 nut with the o-ring. Meticulously clean the threads on both the Billet Box and the nut with a toothbrush and alcohol solution. Disassemble the Alien chimney and clean it the same way. I used Keg Lube on all of the chimney o-rings and on the square seal for the tank to deck-top seal. It was also leaking.

I believe that some of my problems are due to my wanting to get the maximum amount of air and e-juice through the Billet Box format. This seems to maximize the stress put on the atomizer unit. The Alien’s design flaws all seem to come apart in this environment. I have seen comments from MTL vapors that simply love the Alien.

Temp Control on the Billet Box puts me in a small minority. I’ve had issues with anodized bridges like the Blue Xeta and the Shadow Heir staying in TC mode, although not as severe as with the Alien. I believe that the offset insert in the chimney is the major culprit here. And there is no easy way to get this thing out for cleaning. The one time I was able to do so was when it was so flooded with e-liquid that it was almost ready float out.

For now there are no leaks. I even took it golfing once. It’s been two weeks since I received my first Alien and four days without a leak. I still can’t use Temp Control. And I haven’t broken open the sealed tin of the second Alien because I may still sell it. But I probably won’t. The flavor is great. Better than the Xeta, ‘Snail and ‘Shell. I just started working with a Shadow Heir yesterday so I can’t compare. The 3.0mm airflow doesn’t seem as restrictive as I thought it would be. Airflow feels better than what I remember of the Bridg’d which is 3.0mm.

The bottom line… I can live with using the 510 nut and the meticulous cleaning regimen. I’ll even vape in Power mode for the flavor; as long as the leaking stays away. Besides, it opens up a whole new world of 510 drip tips. An unexplored shaft in the deeper regions of the rabbit hole. But for now the Alien will not displace any ‘Snails in my Billet Box land. In fact if I had to purchase another RBA for a working Billet Box it would be another ‘Snail.

View attachment 168687

Thanks!

I do appreciate when someone does comparisons... especially someone that also enjoys the airy side of the BB

Myself I was never tempted with the Evl Alien... having a PC tank over PCTG, price and overall look were the three strikes against it right off the bat.

I’ve also never had a leak with the Snail... out and about for hours in the California Sun and even being left in the car this past week when San Diego was 102f it didn’t have a drop anywhere, and that was with 60/40 Vg/Pg.

I finally recoiled my Snail today after 12 refills... I feel the coil was fatigued and was getting some off flavor... wicked and vaping great.

I’m a fan of the BB/Snail, and if I had a hankering for more, it also would be the combo I’d do again hands down...

But the BB is just my travel/OaA mod... purely a mech head otherwise

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is a great idea getting them direct from BBV like this. I'd like to see a RPG with Dober inners.

I think they will release a bunch of Frankenstein versions, or at least hopeful they will.

Imagine getting Dober with Silver inners etc already or purple green... etc.

Surprised it took them this long to sell them as such, and even more surprised they don’t have a selection menu to build your own.

Dual paint schemes too...

The outside width color and inner colors different.

Black panels on, looks like your have a RPG... panels off and Boom it’s Kurbis or whatever on the insides

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think they will release a bunch of Frankenstein versions, or at least hopeful they will.

Imagine getting Dober with Silver inners etc already or purple green... etc.

Surprised it took them this long to sell them as such, and even more surprised they don’t have a selection menu to build your own.

Dual paint schemes too...

The outside width color and inner colors different.

Black panels on, looks like your have a RPG... panels off and Boom it’s Kurbis or whatever on the insides

That would be cool... you know what else would be cool? A 21700 BB GODDAMMIT! ??

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That would be cool... you know what else would be cool? A 21700 BB GODDAMMIT! ??

I don't think you will see any major changes to the Billet Box because of the PMTA requirements from the FDA. I believe the current design can qualify so they can't make changes.

Ground Kloud just announced a 21700 capable boro/RBA capable device with a DNA60. So your desire can be fulfilled. Just not from BBV.

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Calling all billet box lovers. Paul Eriole over at Fogsmith is starting to make BB Panels. Price point is $90 a set. He's on FB but if you don't have a FB account I can get you in touch with him if you are interested :) Here are 2 of his.

bbpanel.png119465754_1490252131180493_6385464261620463453_o.jpg

Fogsmith group :)

Last edited:

R3alJim Shady

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Calling all billet box lovers. Paul Eriole over at Fogsmith is starting to make BB Panels. No pricing yet but when I have it I will let you know. He's on FB but if you don't have a FB account I can get you in touch with him if you are interested :) Here are 2 of his.

View attachment 169090View attachment 169091

Fogsmith group :)

Those are GORGEOUS. Too bad I'm not a BB trickier-outer anymore haha! Just curious, what's the price point on these?

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Those are GORGEOUS. Too bad I'm not a BB trickier-outer anymore haha! Just curious, what's the price point on these?
They do beautiful work and they make sure it's perfect! Great guys. I'm trying to see if I can get a price point on them. Gimme a bit

Not a BB as I do not own one myself, that rabbit hole scares the crap outta me but here is a mod they did for me.

IMG_20200913_190857922.jpg

VaporGroh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I've been using SS316L fused clapton coils from Advanced Vape Supply. I've settled on 2-28/40 7 wrap in either 2.5mm or 3.0mm for Billet Box use. The normal price is $8.99 for a 10 pack. I just went out to grab a few more and noticed that they have a 50% off promo code running. It was $4.50 for a 10 pack of coils. A 50ft Spool of 28 ga SS316L wire was only $2.50.

Advanced Vape Supply

Just thought I should share.

NHXJer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got some mail from @sandmanpipes yesterday:
IgFdek0.jpg

lK4nKwW.jpg

Both SXK70's. The Bronze is my new favorite!
Still haven't set up the green DNA60 yet.

NHXJer

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the best place to get flush 510's that will fit the SXK boxes?
Also, I saw posted somewhere (can't remember where) black 510's - anyone ever see those?

b.m.

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the best place to get flush 510's that will fit the SXK boxes?
Also, I saw posted somewhere (can't remember where) black 510's - anyone ever see those?
Nowhere that i have seen.I have searched for close to a year and nobody seems to make a flush that fits the SXK.Me and a few others ended up making the 510 nut flush by grinding down the top of the stock one,very easy to do.

VU Sponsors