Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, folks, it might be time to ring some alarm bells again. Everyone else may already know this, but we haven't been going into stores much, and hubbs did the grocery shopping himself this morning in our local Walmart, where he says there is hardly ANYTHING on the whole grocery side of the store.

Have you seen on the news all the ships that are waiting to unload off the coast near the port of Los Angeles? Well that's part of the reason this is happening. I work for a retail chain, and we can't keep people working in our warehouses to unload containers and trailers once we get them, so the containers are stacking up everywhere, and our stores are on the way to slim pickings, too. I think between the two warehouses there are about a thousand containers/trailers waiting to be unloaded and it is costing us a fortune in late fees.

If your pantry isn't stocked up, maybe you ought to think about doing that, if you can. It looks to me like this is getting serious. If it's affecting Walmart, then it's affecting every kind of store, because Walmart is at the top of the food chain.
Wally World in my town still has quite a bit.
Just left the meat market down the street and no problem there yet except the price of beef went up.
Got my freezers full again and will be good as long as the power stays on. I have a 2500 watt inverter in my truck that I can use for a little while until I run out of fuel but I don’t think it will come to that barring a natural disaster

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
c7fdceffea04554df50fa9ee71a14fc1.jpg

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today, I decided to install the LED headlights in my truck, and replacement reservoir for the windshield washer fluid while I was at it. All went well and good except for one problem. The truck won't crank over now, even after having the battery charger on it. I will have the hubby look at it. I hope I don't need a new starter.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hubby tinkered around a bit, and got my truck running. He said the battery connectors were dirty. Odd. The truck was running just fine. I took the battery out for 15 minutes to install a headlight, and then reinstall the battery. Go figure.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hubby tinkered around a bit, and got my truck running. He said the battery connectors were dirty. Odd. The truck was running just fine. I took the battery out for 15 minutes to install a headlight, and then reinstall the battery. Go figure.

I remember when people used to pour Coca Cola on their battery terminals if they got all oxidized and gunky. Coke will eat that shit away.

I got stranded at work one time, battery seemed to be dead on my car, and I called my husband to come help me. He had to drive 45 minutes to get to where I was with it sleeting and shit outside. He told me to pop the hood, so I did, he took a ratchet out of his back pocket and went WHAM WHAM on the battery terminals, and said, "Try it now." Fucker cranked right up. If the shoe had been on the other foot, I'd have been pissed, but he wasn't. Said, "Need anything else?" lol

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Spent the day making a Mexican dinner from scratch - even the tortillas.

Turned out great, Carnitas, guacamole, salsa, Spanish rice.

However, now I'm fat and lazy and the kitchen is a wreck, lol

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With the clutter cleared out of the house, I dared go into the garage yesterday. Started filling trash bags, and loaded up my truck with stuff for Goodwill. I was only able to clean up a quarter of it so far.

It's no wonder... my mom used to ask me to get something from the garage. I'd come back in 30 minutes later without it, asking her "exactly what pile is it under?"

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Went to the supermarket TWICE IN 1 DAY today. With eased restrictions

I feel so alive

Do you know that I have become a very bad driver over the past 18 months? I have been out and driving so little, I am very nearly dangerous on the road now. I need to take my car out for a drive at least once a week before I lose the ability to drive altogether.

On an entirely different subject:

I haven't said anything about this before, but I'm going to be a Grandma again! I thought the 7 grandchildren I already have were going to be it, but my youngest daughter is now expecting a baby! AND it's a girl! She's nearly halfway along, so we'll have another little one sometime shortly after the holidays. Her due date is Feb 27, but I have a feeling the baby will be here well before that, because of some medical conditions that are involved.

I ordered her a nice micro-fleece maternity jacket and some fluffy slippers from Old Navy a few minutes ago. Don't want my gal to get cold! Ordered some cotton yarn from a crafts store yesterday to make the obligatory baby blanket. :) Walmart had no yarn that fit the bill, so I think it was the Joanne store that I finally ended up ordering from. Now I just have to find my crochet hooks....

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you know that I have become a very bad driver over the past 18 months? I have been out and driving so little, I am very nearly dangerous on the road now. I need to take my car out for a drive at least once a week before I lose the ability to drive altogether.

I haven't said anything about this before, but I'm going to be a Grandma again! I thought the 7 grandchildren I already have were going to be it, but my youngest daughter is now expecting a baby! AND it's a girl! She's nearly halfway along, so we'll have another little one sometime shortly after the holidays. Her due date is Feb 27, but I have a feeling the baby will be here well before that, because of some medical conditions that are involved.

I ordered her a nice micro-fleece maternity jacket and some fluffy slippers from Old Navy a few minutes ago. Don't want my gal to get cold! Ordered some cotton yarn from a crafts store yesterday to make the obligatory baby blanket. :) Walmart had no yarn that fit the bill, so I think it was the Joanne store that I finally ended up ordering from. Now I just have to find my crochet hooks....
Congratulations. You must be thrilled

Apparently lockdown generated a little baby boom here too 😂

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Congratulations. You must be thrilled

Apparently lockdown generated a little baby boom here too 😂

I am thrilled, you betcha. I'm looking forward to the baby, but I'm also thrilled that my daughter is secure enough with her new husband that she wanted to pursue this. She's never said she wanted children before, and I think she thought she'd never have any because of the medical complications I referred to earlier. So she is over the moon and I am just basking in her happiness.

Two of my children were conceived around Thanksgiving (in the US that's the fourth Thursday in November), then born in mid-August. I guess holidays can cause baby booms, too! :hearts:

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Whooo hoooo Congratulations

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today's mail brought my front turn signal light for my truck, so it came time to put on the new bumper and valance. This is after hubby called Amazon whining that I got the wrong ones because the bumper ain't got holes for the turn signal lights, but the valance does. Well, we got it all installed, but hubby had to order new mounting brackets, because only 2 bolts can go through (one on each side) due to the current brackets being bent.

At least (when I order the rear bumper) it comes with mounting brackets.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Covids in our town now. The tracing check Apps are utter BS! Not one person here has an alert. How do I know? Its been here for over a week, virtually 2. Took the misses to the drive through test site here today. She is really unwell, I'm 100% ok. We spoke to the testers when we were there and they said when we asked how many cases here, why have we not got alerts? We check in everywhere! "Yes, we know, there are numerous cases here now, some in hospital. And we ourselves are not getting the propper info! We are told there are no contact places here, but how!? There are patient's in the hospital right now, how can there be no contact sites!?"
I said "these covid check in apps are rubbish, why did we not get an alert, this town is tiny compared to others!" She may have had a mask on but her silence and eyes said it all.
The Govt here has shut down reporting and controlling the media to give the illusion they have it all under control.
Its not.
Im numbed by what our Vic Gov is doing.
Its outrageous!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
There.Is.Only.Beach

8ea6d092c53abbb09ab5ab5ecd40a1b7.jpg
34a15cbcf9482b95b0ecbadb44b575c3.jpg
b636b2a1cff80efde66681a93ca6d936.jpg
eea5bf13301e54f784e1a736160d1baa.jpg
fd9ff8a78cc3de999a251742e55990db.jpg
2732d43aba516568815814d0e17cca6f.jpg

I can't remember if I asked you before or just meant to - what body of water is that? Is the water cold there at this time of year? It's your springtime, correct? What I'm getting at is this: Is the beach deserted because the water is still cold, or is it because of more quarantines?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't remember if I asked you before or just meant to - what body of water is that? Is the water cold there at this time of year? It's your springtime, correct? What I'm getting at is this: Is the beach deserted because the water is still cold, or is it because of more quarantines?
That is looking out over Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne Australia

The 50km winds are probably part of why it is quiet. And 6.30am

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
That is looking out over Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne Australia

The 50km winds are probably part of why it is quiet. And 6.30am

Oh wow, well, that would do it. I know from living in Florida several different times that wind coming off the water, even if the weather is temperate elsewhere, can cut through clothes and chill a person to the bone. It's strange to see beaches deserted here, though, unless the powers-that-be have closed them down. I know when I visited the California coast a few times (and my internal clock was always off by that 3 hours) I'd be out driving the PCH at 4:30 in the morning, and the surfers would be out in their neoprene suits already, or they'd have their trunks open and be in the midst of putting suits on. They must be very motivated.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The hubby managed to sell his oil-leaking truck yesterday. Some guy claiming to be from Australia bought it. I didn't detect much of an accent, and he was wearing the obligatory aussie hat. Who cares? He had the money. My driveway ain't collecting any more oil.

I just had to talk some common sense into my hubby to get him to understand that he was asking too much for it. He needed to lower the price, so the buyer could get it fixed.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Misses tested negative. Thank goodness for that, I can go bush today instead of isolation.
Oh yeah, and she's just got a bad flu.
Crazy storms the night before. Was up all night listening to the roof shake and creak expecting it to open up. Windows were rattling and expected the big bedroom one to blow in. Thankfully not.
Gusts to 150kph where we are. We're on a hill with a view for kilometres so nothing to shield us from storms. Last bad one a few yrs ago took tiles off so the repair they did held up great.
This just before it hit. I thought hmmm that looks ominous, minutes later it rolled in. Lasted 10 hours. 70% of the state was hit by it.
IMG_20211028_153315_667~2.jpg
Hopefully the bush tracks im going to go on are all clear.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The hubby managed to sell his oil-leaking truck yesterday. Some guy claiming to be from Australia bought it. I didn't detect much of an accent, and he was wearing the obligatory aussie hat. Who cares? He had the money. My driveway ain't collecting any more oil.

I just had to talk some common sense into my hubby to get him to understand that he was asking too much for it. He needed to lower the price, so the buyer could get it fixed.
It's a wonder these days, given Oz has become such a pathetic oppressive dictatorship, that anyone overseas would be game enough to call themselves one! :giggle:
I thinking of telling people that I come from elsewhere and my Oz bush accent is just the result of a head knock where I woke up with a new accent. :D

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's a wonder these days, given Oz has become such a pathetic oppressive dictatorship, that anyone overseas would be game enough to call themselves one! :giggle:
I thinking of telling people that I come from elsewhere and my Oz bush accent is just the result of a head knock where I woke up with a new accent. :D
The guy did make a comment about the wife of our Justice of the Peace driving on the wrong side of the street, saying "I don't suppose she's from Australia too?" But then, she is a bit of an entitled bitch. The hubby and I call her "Karen" behind her back.

Today, I got around to repainting what was my mother's bedroom. It had at least 3 shades of purple, and it all looked horrible. I wish I could get new windows put in, but if I put in an order now (even at the big box stores) I would not get them until around February, when it will be too cold to install them.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
The guy did make a comment about the wife of our Justice of the Peace driving on the wrong side of the street, saying "I don't suppose she's from Australia too?" But then, she is a bit of an entitled bitch. The hubby and I call her "Karen" behind her back.

Today, I got around to repainting what was my mother's bedroom. It had at least 3 shades of purple, and it all looked horrible. I wish I could get new windows put in, but if I put in an order now (even at the big box stores) I would not get them until around February, when it will be too cold to install them.
Lol is for the Aussie bit. Hey you gotta feel sorry for real Karen's now though.

But yeah. That painting and doing things after a loved ones gone is an empty feeling isn't it.
I remember when my Dad passed first, then several years later my Mum.
Feels like yesterday.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

I know I haven't been posting, sorry. I have been taking care of my Hubby. He was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of last month, I lost him Thursday. I'm kind of a mess right now, so posting will probably be erratic. Jessie is not understanding what's going on. Big changes for us both.

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

I know I haven't been posting, sorry. I have been taking care of my Hubby. He was diagnosed with lung cancer at the end of last month, I lost him Thursday. I'm kind of a mess right now, so posting will probably be erratic. Jessie is not understanding what's going on. Big changes for us both.

@misswish I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm praying for you and your family. So sad to hear.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetheart. I know it's going to be very tough for a while. I do hope you have more than just online friends to talk to. You are going to be needing that.

Speaking of staying safe and healthy, you be sure to do the same. OK?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

@misswish I am so sad for you, sweetheart. You surely have my deepest condolences. Sarah is right - if you have friends and/or family close by, let them help you when they can. My heart hurts for you. Please stay in touch when you can, let us know how you are. ((((Hugs))))

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Morning!

So sorry to hear that. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Thanks everyone. I do have daughter & SIL here, more family a call away. Friends have been wonderful. It will just take time.

Weather here is starting to change, cooling down. Leaves are falling, allergies are going up.
I love seeing the kids in their costumes but I'm glad Halloween is over! Next up is Thanksgiving, I love turkey.

Better get back to the laundry, my house pixies are falling down on the job!

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@misswish, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. There is far too much going on around. And it's ok to not be ok for a while. It's ok to fall apart some times. I have experienced a lot of loss recently, and find that sharing what I'm going through emotionally, with friends or strangers, really helps. I have been attending grief share classes at my local church, and it really does help. But please, don't rush into anything, and don't let anyone rush you through your grief process. You take all the time you need and feel the feelings as they come.

My prayers are going out to you and your family.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so very sorry for your loss. There are no words. My heart hurts

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

1458bbbd1884bef03f64db23ce0cf818.jpg

b9da0984ab333bb90d61028a0419a22f.jpg

and
976caf212bed106746a68f346da58c39.jpg

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
"Apologies for reticence of late. More I could say. Too much on the plate. All for the day."

Feel that poem/stanza has become my relegated answer to queries. Could be even further succinct. "I'm fine." People can see beyond that. Obfuscation it is then.

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Sunny outside, supposed to get to 83*! Open doors, fresh air! Maybe I'll clean up the deck a bit.
Kids will be over later, it'll be nice to be able to bbq and eat out there. Jessie is doing well, at least she's not trying to wake me up at 4am! She's been sleeping with me, likes to lay on my feet.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Doing ok here. The sun is out but it's cooling down, I had to break out my sleeping socks, lol. Jesse is a good foot warmer, too.

I guess I'll go pick up a few groceries. I'm out of fresh stuff, and I like my salads. I should load up the stuff for the homeless shelter thrift store, too, and drop it off.

So, what are you guys up to?

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

Doing ok here. The sun is out but it's cooling down, I had to break out my sleeping socks, lol. Jesse is a good foot warmer, too.

I guess I'll go pick up a few groceries. I'm out of fresh stuff, and I like my salads. I should load up the stuff for the homeless shelter thrift store, too, and drop it off.

So, what are you guys up to?

Morning. Just waiting on people coming to see the house in about 30 min. If they show that is lol. Lots of times they don't which is a huge PITA. All the running around to prepare etc. But I try and do a run each morning and do basic cleaning to try and stay on top of it. Desert=DUST! and dogs and kitties=HAIR :) But I wouldn't give them up for anything.

I love salads too! Think maybe I will go make a run to the store later and pick up some salad fixins.

Cross fingers for me. I kind of want to get moving on here. The quicker I get to OK, the quicker I can get to PA with my daughter

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Not much going on around here, just ordinary stuff. Son is down in Florida training for a new job. Ordered a new recliner and hubbs picked it up yesterday, but it's going to have to either be for him or it's going to have to go back to the store. It doesn't fit the bill for me. Guess I have to break down and have him push me around through a damn furniture store so I can try the chairs out before buying them. Should have done that anyway.

Woke up a grump this morning, so the best thing I can do on days like this is just keep my mouth shut. Have to work on Sunday afternoon, and that isn't making me any happier.

Hope everyone is safe and well.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Been busy as usual. Got a storage tote and a half full of pecans so far. 🙃 The buyers are paying 60 cents a pound right now, and I still have 2 empty totes to fill. One of our trees needed trimming. 2 limbs needed to come off. They made for a pile of fresh cut pecan wood that still needs to season before being used for barbecuing. The smaller branches will be picked up. The loose leaves were mowed into mulch.

My mom's bedroom is being renovated. So far, it looks nothing like she had it. We still have a way to go with it.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Oh @misswish

Best to you and Jessie - very sorry for your loss and wish I'd checked in sooner :hug:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Morning!

I am so sorry for your loss of your husband- sending prayers to you for peace and strength during this difficult time. :hug:

1637059957040.png

VU Sponsors