Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

Where is everyone? I miss you guys, love keeping up with you.
All is well here. Pretty quiet, which I like. Hubby went shopping and Jessie is sprawled out on my bed, and using my pillow. Guess I'll be changing the pillow case again, lol.

Jimi - prayers for your brother!

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

All is well here. Pretty quiet, which I like. Hubby went shopping and Jessie is sprawled out on my bed, and using my pillow. Guess I'll be changing the pillow case again, lol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just needed 1 loaf of bread today, so I figured to go 1/8 mile to the little country store with grill.
Masked up and gloves. No one working there had any masks or gloves. neither working grill or register... And the 3 other customers had no masks either.

Will not be going back.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Sunday night check in, yes it's been a while again. My brother, the one who went into the hospital back in March for a routine surgery that would keep him there for four days:rolleyes: and got out after 3 surgeries and seventy eight days later, in May. He is back in the hospital with a blood clot in his groin area:eek:. Every day he was out of the hospital he has felt like shit. They have him in ICU now:eek:. So things have been hectic.
Other than that we're doin good here, stayin safe and healthy as we can.
I seen some places where they opened up virus cases are on the rise again:gaah:
Stay safe and healthy;)

I hope and pray your bro’s okay, Jimi. Love you! :hug:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Today me and the wife went to Ballarat, a large country town in our state to get some things not available in our small town. An hour and a bit drive. Got an Air Purifier for when we get smothered in smoke in our area which is typically about 5 months every year. Farm land burn offs, fuel reduction burns and bush fires. Got one that has great reviews and recomendations from asthma foundation for $60 off and picked up a great fishing rod that was $100 for $39. Good trip, shopping wise that is. But saw zero social distancing even though over the music playing here and there were announcements reminding people to do so. Got some serious agro on the road there too, one instance I expected an accident as a guy went nuts because I was obeying the speed limit and overtook me into really close oncoming traffic. Was glad to get home. I seriously hate going to the bigger towns and cities here. Once or twice a year feels too much to be honest. If I could, I'd never go to them.
Otherwise we are good?

Wow, there’s a Sherlock Holmes story with Ballarat Jack! I forgot the name. Glad you and the wife are well. Do you have a local you can go to again, now that drinking out is back in AUS?

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Good morning!

I think everyone is in post corona stress. Glad you’re doing well. I love reading your posts! :hug:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Wow, there’s a Sherlock Holmes story with Ballarat Jack! I forgot the name. Glad you and the wife are well. Do you have a local you can go to again, now that drinking out is back in AUS?
A local!? o_O I often see them stumble out of their cars in supermarket car parks! I think everywhere is a local here in the bush where we are :giggle:
Though really thats not funny but a sign of a serious comunity issue. :(

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
A local!? o_O I often see them stumble out of their cars in supermarket car parks! I think everywhere is a local here in the bush where we are :giggle:
Though really thats not funny but a sign of a serious comunity issue. :(

I meant a nice local pub where you can have a pint and socialize a bit. But maybe not. You can’t be too careful now.

You make the bush sound very charming, mate. :giggle::giggle:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I meant a nice local pub where you can have a pint and socialize a bit. But maybe not. You can’t be too careful now.

You make the bush sound very charming, mate. :giggle::giggle:
:D It is! Very little trouble. Have noticed though more public drunkenness since covid though. But they are saying that it has become an increasing issue in a lot of places since. Theyre not being violent here but Its not nice to see though regardless. Mums shopping with kids and blokes getting out of their cars near them with cans in hand obviously drunk. I have never since I lived here had so many people walk past me in the street absolutely reeking of alcohol though. Men, women, all ages. Sad times.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
morning!

I agree, so much stress! I try not to see too much news, just the highlights.

Jessie and hubby have a routine in the mornings. Hubby gets out of the shower, she's waiting on the sink. She has lick some water off of him before he opens the window for her. This gives hubby time to give her pets and her time to get cat hair all over his skin, lol. Sure glad it's him and not me!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Checking in. worked on porch project about 5 hours.
super nice day. Have to make a medicine and groc run in the morning.

Ohh and my Watched thread button at the top no longer works, new posts button is fine.
Maybe VU does not have covid antivirus patch on site?

I get this response from server.
Warning: require(/home/vu/public_html/src/XF.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/vu/public_html/index.php on line 10

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/home/vu/public_html/src/XF.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/vu/public_html/index.php on line 10

Moving pains I assume but just seems to be me...

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not just you, we had others report, as well, lots of stuff going on behind the scenes way smarter than I'll ever be. Sorry, homie. You're unique like everyone else <3

Had to have a plumber out today for my outside faucet. Was a cheap, easy fix for them, just something we couldn't get to. Granted, an $80+ dollar washer isn't cheap, but I was expecting to have a whole piece of the thing replaced, so I was happy.

Ran out for lunch stuff for work and a prescription, then on for cat food at the feed store, also bought a fun little toy for them. Something called "Yeeeow!" brand catnip. Haven't seen them react like that since the days of HotCat brand. Was fun to see. Should've gotten 2, but Fitz would've hounded them both. Nothing as exciting as the Tales of Jessie the Cat (I do love reading those!), but fun, nonetheless.

Now, I'm just wanting to get sleepy. Back to work later in the afternoon.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
morning!

I agree, so much stress! I try not to see too much news, just the highlights.

Jessie and hubby have a routine in the mornings. Hubby gets out of the shower, she's waiting on the sink. She has lick some water off of him before he opens the window for her. This gives hubby time to give her pets and her time to get cat hair all over his skin, lol. Sure glad it's him and not me!

When we would go out somewhere for a long time, we’d leave the bathroom faucet running a little since our cats used to like to drink from there. I was really surprised that they both liked it. And they liked the water from the bathroom sink. Only. Lol

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Not just you, we had others report, as well, lots of stuff going on behind the scenes way smarter than I'll ever be. Sorry, homie. You're unique like everyone else <3

Had to have a plumber out today for my outside faucet. Was a cheap, easy fix for them, just something we couldn't get to. Granted, an $80+ dollar washer isn't cheap, but I was expecting to have a whole piece of the thing replaced, so I was happy.

Ran out for lunch stuff for work and a prescription, then on for cat food at the feed store, also bought a fun little toy for them. Something called "Yeeeow!" brand catnip. Haven't seen them react like that since the days of HotCat brand. Was fun to see. Should've gotten 2, but Fitz would've hounded them both. Nothing as exciting as the Tales of Jessie the Cat (I do love reading those!), but fun, nonetheless.

Now, I'm just wanting to get sleepy. Back to work later in the afternoon.

You could always try valerian for the kitties. They love it. It smells like feet, but it affects them like kitty flower. It’s hilarious to see them get wacky. It’s harmless too!

I know, the Jessie stories are a high point here. <3

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Just needed 1 loaf of bread today, so I figured to go 1/8 mile to the little country store with grill.
Masked up and gloves. No one working there had any masks or gloves. neither working grill or register... And the 3 other customers had no masks either.

Will not be going back.
Yep, I know we dont and have not had anywhere near the US cases but nobody has cared recently and now our cases are rising again. Even NZ, and I know their cases have been crazy (crazy good) low, announced days ago that Covid was beaten there and all good. They now have some new cases and are tightening things somewhat again. How can anyone from just several days give a "whooohooo we win" announcement!? I like NZ a lot but that was utterly naive and....no words to be honest.....to announce they were covid free so ridiculously soon. Now I read or see, and how true it is I dont know, that covid has mutated, not like first thought or guessed, but now has done some adaption thing and might now be the same threat all over again! Heard, forget it being a second wave, it might be wave 1 all over again! Thats horrific to think of and every single atom of me hopes that never happens, its unimaginable!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Hmm, this one?

Cat's%20Meowee%20Bag.webp

https://www.worldsstrongestcatnip.com/

I get that from the dollar tree, it's far better than the stuff at Petco, a lot less stems that can be hurty.
She goes insane with just a tiny little pinch of it on some kibble...then she chills out. Which is good..hehe.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In other exciting news: I had a double onion show up. Trippy.

ABjvnBf.jpg

Yeah, one of them had started to mildew a bit which Is why I grabbed it to use up first. Kinda a surprise though..don't see that very often from the store.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

I'm so glad you guys are liking reading about Jessie! She is a trip. We are cat people, love learning all of their quirks and traits. We've had her for a year now, think she was abused or neglected for a while. Some of her personality is still showing up and so fun to watch. She loves me but is a total daddy's girl. And she is not spoiled at all, lol.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Made a town run. rural King, Lowes, Riteaid, and wally world with a gas stop thrown in. $1.46/gal though :)
I noticed that wearing masks is apparently a sign of male weakness around here as very few men wore masks but a higher percentage of women did.
Strange since the virus tends to kill a higher percentage of men than women. Oh wait maybe men not wearing masks has something to do with that?

I am male and wear mask and gloves. btw I saw almost no one else wearing gloves...
Think of me as weak if you want.

I am into this new reality for the long haul that I expect it to be.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
do they come in denim?

Mine are the blue poly ones like in Serenity.
Dont know! Maybe.
I like these.
cat.jpg
And speaking of cats. I noticed above catnip.
In so many of the old goldfields home sites, nothing left bar the odd old fruit tree and broken bricks, but on so many there is catnip growing all over the place. Was obviously very very common in gardens in the old goldfield areas but I cant figure out why. Did it have another use in days gone by other than for cats?

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
On a more serious note. Our daily Covid cases have risen to the numbers of when it was early on. 21 today. Lockdown eased, people ignoring the social distancing and up it rises again. I know our numbers are low compared to other countries but here thats a sign for sure that people are not doing the right thing. People seem to have stopped caring about it and adopted the "whatever" attitude.
Hope you are all ok and stay that way.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a more serious note. Our daily Covid cases have risen to the numbers of when it was early on. 21 today. Lockdown eased, people ignoring the social distancing and up it rises again. I know our numbers are low compared to other countries but here thats a sign for sure that people are not doing the right thing. People seem to have stopped caring about it and adopted the "whatever" attitude.
Hope you are all ok and stay that way.
Yep numbers are rising sharply is several areas in the US as well due to reopening and people not doing as they should.
And obviously this virus is not acting like the flu and is not slowing down much if any in warmer weather.

They are now projecting 200,000 US deaths by October. And I am not sure they are taking into account all the irresponsible behavior by many as things open up more.
I would venture to guess around 1 million dead in the US from the virus before things settle down.
I do not expect an effective vaccine due to this being an RNA virus and their lack of success with AIDS and other RNA viruses. Hopefully we will come up with better treatments though to lower the deaths.

IMHO there will be little positive change in risk from the virus for at least another year from now.
Lots more people will die than should because they cannot adapt to a new normal set of safe behaviors. yes some areas will be less risk than others due to more scattered populations and such but none risk free.

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yep numbers are rising sharply is several areas in the US as well due to reopening and people not doing as they should.
And obviously this virus is not acting like the flu and is not slowing down much if any in warmer weather.

They are now projecting 200,000 deaths by October. And I am not sure they are taking into account all the irresponsible behavior by many as things open up more.

IMHO there will be little change in risk from the virus for at least another year from now.
Lots more people will die than should because they cannot adapt to a new normal set of safe behaviors.
Here is hoping it doesn't get worse for you guys. 200,000, thats the entire population of our 2 major regional towns of Bendigo & Ballarat. Its hard to imagine those numbers.
Stay safe there.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here is hoping it doesn't get worse for you guys. 200,000, thats the entire population of our 2 major regional towns of Bendigo & Ballarat. Its hard to imagine those numbers.
Stay safe there.

Thanks, some of us are working as best that we can to stay safe but a notable percentage is not.

Just ordered some more masks and gloves to have enough for another year.

I really, really hope they are not needed but expect that they will be.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Made a town run. rural King, Lowes, Riteaid, and wally world with a gas stop thrown in. $1.46/gal though :)
I noticed that wearing masks is apparently a sign of male weakness around here as very few men wore masks but a higher percentage of women did.
Strange since the virus tends to kill a higher percentage of men than women. Oh wait maybe men not wearing masks has something to do with that?

I am male and wear mask and gloves. btw I saw almost no one else wearing gloves...
Think of me as weak if you want.

I am into this new reality for the long haul that I expect it to be.

Wow, great price for gas! I hadn’t considered masks in terms of gender. Stay safe, Crom.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't really think that winter should be this long.

It's been 18 consecutive days now.

Surely, if they can suspend the football season, they suspend parliament, then they can suspend this god awful season. Just announce that in light of the global pandemic, we will not be participating in winter this year. It's not hard.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Surely, if they can suspend the football season, they suspend parliament, then they can suspend this god awful season. Just announce that in light of the global pandemic, we will not be participating in winter this year. It's not hard.

How cold is it where you are? I love the winter. I love sweaters, boots, hot drinks, everything about it. Even the cold. I think about the heat or humidity, and seppuku seems like a fine idea. Lol

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How cold is it where you are? I love the winter. I love sweaters, boots, hot drinks, everything about it. Even the cold. I think about the heat or humidity, and seppuku seems like a fine idea. Lol
It has been around 15°C by day and about 3°C at night.

Ungodly

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning VU!

Gorgeous day today in San Diego...

It’s the calm absolutely best weather of the year... 68-72f slight breeze... June is the best here...BUT it’s just the calm before the hot muggy 90/90+ weather arrives which is always right at the 4th of July

Got some awesome news last night... Baby sis and family are coming to SD on the 2nd to 5th of July... it’s been a year since I saw them... going to be rad seeing my nieces

Last time I saw them I was a fat fat dude and we took pics together and I was in awe... made some major changes and lost a ton of weight... was motivated not to be at my nieces graduation as the fat uncle... then CoViD19 hit and well ruined a lot for a lot of people... stayed the course.

Wife is doing great and is back almost 100% at her cushy desk job... still hammering out some details for the new way of health care.

I’m doing rad... got off the wagon to test a regular diet that includes carbs and honestly not feeling it... going back to my norm and finishing what I started.

California is having spikes, but it’s relative to testing amounts, still scary in knowing til there is a vaccine and even after, the new normal.

Really stoked for family coming... be rad if my mums was able to travel... but no planes for her, and the drive is just to much... I need to head to New Mexico to visit soon.

Be rad everyone... be safe!

Woot! #1 niece is coming here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That’s pretty cold in Fahrenheit, but I’m not sure if converting degrees is like converting pounds to stones. :giggle:
It has been around 80% humidity. Which amplifies the cold.

Reasonably sunny is a positive. And out of character for my eternally overcast city.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
It has been around 80% humidity. Which amplifies the cold.

Reasonably sunny is a positive. And out of character for my eternally overcast city.

That’s odd about sunny and humid, but cold. I might like the overcast. I’m sorry winter is dragging it’s feet, but we’ve really only started summer here. :depressing:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I like winter, too, but then again, winter here is fairly temperate. I wouldn't wish for no-winter, because if we didn't have it, we'd be overrun with bugs. The cold weather reduces populations of the ticks, fleas, yellow jackets and wasps, some types of ants, definitely mosquitoes, and other such varmints.

By the time we get to the end of a normal summer with all the heat and humidity, I feel like a limp dishrag. I just want someone to put me out of my misery. It won't hurt my feelings a bit if I can stay in here by the air conditioning the entire summer.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not much to report over here.
It's warming up now which is nice, as long it doesn't get tooo warm and I'll need the AC...which it will.
Me, I'd be happy if it never got above 75F ever, but that ain't gonna happen. ;)

THU4dayFORECAST1-2-300x168.png

I can layer clothes and like sweaters and stuff...but too hot and ya gonna spend $$ just to stay tolerably cool and sleep at night. Me, I'd rather bundle up. Milly gets overheated quick in the sun too.

Dang city is fighting itself over going to Phase 3, I think it'd be a mistake at this point. But the money makes the rules as they say.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'd take DogMan's temps any day! That's my weather. I really hate summer. Summer + masks for 10+ hours a day... omg it's horseshit.

We are considering switching to plastic face shields - don't know if your work would allow that?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We are considering switching to plastic face shields - don't know if your work would allow that?
Not sure. Could be worth an ask. Boss says we'll be in them till whatever powers that be say we can stop. I saw on the news, people in hospitals weren't wearing them. Who knows.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Not sure. Could be worth an ask. Boss says we'll be in them till whatever powers that be say we can stop. I saw on the news, people in hospitals weren't wearing them. Who knows.

Wow, even in hospitals?

We are still under fairly strict orders - about the only thing lifted is they are not regulating how many people in a building and have allowed clothing stores to reopen

The interisland quarantine was just lifted, but for entering the state, it's still strict 2 weeks until end of July at minimum

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

All ya have to do is stop time.
A planetary stasis bubble would work nicely.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doing well here.
looks like Tampa and Miami, FL are going to be new epicenters for the virus.
Pretty much right on schedule after reopening.
Again as Fauci said this is not a second wave but still the first one.

VU Sponsors