Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Mornin'...

I haven't really had a sleep schedule in awhile, between Milly and the heat it's just been when I sleep, I sleep. It'll be 90F this coming first week of Sept. though...Unreal.

Not a problem though really. Woke this AM to pee and feed Milly, got an alert from the bank...yay, I got paid.

Got the usual bills to pay,also need to find a new mouse for the big computer as my much-loved Roccat Kone Pure finally bit it and a new Omron switch costs as much as a new mouse and requires soldering.

I also need to buy some chicken to make another batch of Milly's food, but other than that, ain't shit going on. I used to be excited on paydays to go hunt vape deals, or peruse thrift shops for fun and getting out of the Apt., but not all that enthused about it anymore. What's the point?

Oh, and I hit some old bookmarks just to see how various sites are discussing/dealing with the upcoming Sept. 9th stuff.

Found this and was sad...one of the oldest vape sites, gone.
Many of ya probably never even knew they existed, but I learned a lot there.

View attachment 168046

(IDK if that is an actually new happening or not, but hate to see it.)

At least I have Milly...about the only reason I bother to wake up anymore.

View attachment 168047
I remember that feeling of trying to sleep in the heat when we lived in Yeppoon Qld Aus. You just wore shorts all day and at night walked into the bedroom and fell on the bed with the ceiling fan going waiting to fall asleep with sweat rolling off of you. Did get four months reprieve each year though when you didnt need the fan on! :giggle:
We had a staffy then. He'd wake me up playfully biting my nose and growling "get up, feed me" funny dog he was. Never hurt, was all in fun. Little mongrel thing he was ?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks to my $10/mo Xfinity Internet for letting me watch the US Open for free on ESPN3 via ESPN.com...legally even...LOL! :cool:

Screenshot from 2020-09-01 11-50-41.png

Took it out of full-screen mode to show it's legit..hehe.
Sadly, Murray is getting his azz handed to him...smh..

[HASH=692]#cordcutters[/HASH]?‍☠️

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Crazy game...Murray aint dead yet...
unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Screenshot from 2020-09-01 13-04-08.png

And he stays alive!!! Even after an apparent foot/toe injury...:oops:

Screenshot from 2020-09-01 13-09-38.png

Into 4hrs on the match, the fifth and tie-breaking set.

Gutting it out...to the frickin' end....

Screenshot from 2020-09-01 13-51-30.png

MURRAY WINS!!!! :stars2:

Screenshot from 2020-09-01 13-57-43.png

Fookin' battle royale that was. :D

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
So far ok in our town though one person has been diagnosed with Covid in the past week here. Hope no more do.
Spring here so was fitting a bug gaurd I made for the grill of the car. Got out an old towel to kneel on and didnt think to shake it first. Felt my leg stinging then got up and saw I had kneeled on a Cupboard Spider, close releative to the Redback. Thankfully its venom isn't as bad. But the burning pain is like an actual burn, felt a little nausea for about 20 minutes but that passed. Hours later though it still feels hot.
Another insect bite to add to the growing list. :giggle:
20200902_134943(2).jpg

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So far ok in our town though one person has been diagnosed with Covid in the past week here. Hope no more do.
Spring here so was fitting a bug gaurd I made for the grill of the car. Got out an old towel to kneel on and didnt think to shake it first. Felt my leg stinging then got up and saw I had kneeled on a Cupboard Spider, close releative to the Redback. Thankfully its venom isn't as bad. But the burning pain is like an actual burn, felt a little nausea for about 20 minutes but that passed. Hours later though it still feels hot.
Another insect bite to add to the growing list. :giggle:
View attachment 168095

:eek:
Glad you are doing ok and it wasn't more serious :hug:

Sent from....Somewhere on Tapatalk

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pretty decent day here, woke around 0630 and paid bills and made breakfast, along with some seasoned ground beef for a stroganoff later. Bought a new Logitech M510 mouse on Ebay to replace the Kone Pure that died for the big computer. Really like those M510 2nd-gen mice; it does everything I want in a 7-button laser mouse, suits my claw-grip well, and it works on Linux too. Now I have two..so if one dies I have parts. ;)

Then, got Milly sorted and went off to Trader Joe's to get her some chicken and a few other things I needed.

Shopping COVID-style. Me waiting in line to get into Trader Joe's today. Masks are mandatory.

IMG_20200902_134624.jpg

Pretty windy with gusts up to 20-30mph today,with a high around 86F. The dust/pollen count is up, but at least the smoke from fires is being blown away...it was bad yesterday. Even Milly was unhappy and watery-eyed like I was. AC on recirculate helps, but isn't foolproof.

Lugged home two heavy bags of stuff, got it put away and now just chillin' on the couch. ☺

Last edited:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Another repeat stuck record day. But alls good.
I did see a bit of an expose on how the media is distorting reports with Covid here.
No not conspiracy theory stuff but distorting visuals of gatherings and breaches, supposed breaches of the rules on social distancing. They have been purposely taking photos or footage to compress the percieved distance between people. Pretty bad really as it just heightens peoples already covid anxiety issues falsely. Causes false public outrage and makes people when they do see something angrier than they would normally be.
Below is a picture that appeared in one of our most popular news papers the other day.
unnamed.jpg
But a person who lives there and was on the beach the time the reporter took that image showed a picture of the scene from a different perspective up on a sand dune. Below.
EgoSu0FVgAAsYHt.jpeg
We saw similar here in our town ten years ago when we had a flood. The water in a street was just ankle deep but a reporter, still doing her dodgy reports up till this day, found a ditch to stand in so the water was up to her waist.
Hard to believe them now days I find.
This a guy did to show how they compress the image to change the reality to suit themselves. Both pictures are of the same scene.
different-perspective-telephoto-lens-vs-wide-angle-philip-davali-5eaa7be6a92a7__700.jpg
different-perspective-telephoto-lens-vs-wide-angle-philip-davali-5eaa7be872653__700.jpg
Stay safe and well everyone.
@misswish hope the boss feels better soon ?

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh the media is all about drama and shock and awe.

Most of it is now like the National Enquirer was way back when.

When the news was news and not 80% commentary.
The NE was never news :)

I do not need to be told how to react to actual news.
I will make up my own mind on that.

Last edited:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Another repeat stuck record day. But alls good.
I did see a bit of an expose on how the media is distorting reports with Covid here.
No not conspiracy theory stuff but distorting visuals of gatherings and breaches, supposed breaches of the rules on social distancing. They have been purposely taking photos or footage to compress the percieved distance between people. Pretty bad really as it just heightens peoples already covid anxiety issues falsely. Causes false public outrage and makes people when they do see something angrier than they would normally be.
Below is a picture that appeared in one of our most popular news papers the other day.
View attachment 168135
But a person who lives there and was on the beach the time the reporter took that image showed a picture of the scene from a different perspective up on a sand dune. Below.
View attachment 168136
We saw similar here in our town ten years ago when we had a flood. The water in a street was just ankle deep but a reporter, still doing her dodgy reports up till this day, found a ditch to stand in so the water was up to her waist.
Hard to believe them now days I find.
This a guy did to show how they compress the image to change the reality to suit themselves. Both pictures are of the same scene.
View attachment 168138
View attachment 168139
Stay safe and well everyone.
@misswish hope the boss feels better soon ?
That's the way the news is today. i try not to watch it anymore. Just a bunch of Bullshit! and depressing.
Life is much better without the news

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, Mr J had something tweak in his already-very-bad-back

Among other things, doctor told him he needed to swim NO LESS THAN TWICE A WEEK!!!

Am thrilled, we haven't been swimming at the beach at all this year thanks to Covid :(

So, off we go. Can't sunbathe or anything, but into the salty goodness we go

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, Mr J had something tweak in his already-very-bad-back

Among other things, doctor told him he needed to swim NO LESS THAN TWICE A WEEK!!!

Am thrilled, we haven't been swimming at the beach at all this year thanks to Covid :(

So, off we go. Can't sunbathe or anything, but into the salty goodness we go

No thank you! I live in a coastal state, and the last time I got in the ocean was almost 4 years ago. My family and I liked to go to Emerald Isle on the coast. Before we got in the water, we went up on the pier to see what people were catching for the day. Hundreds of people in the water, and I also noticed as I was looking down into the water from the pier, that there were about a dozen sharks 4 to 6 ft long swimming around not 20 feet from those hundreds of people.shock.gif That was it. Never been in the ocean since. Not gonna be a shark snack. Nope, not happening. Got plenty of lakes around here, and I'm good with that.;)

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
No thank you! I live in a coastal state, and the last time I got in the ocean was almost 4 years ago. My family and I liked to go to Emerald Isle on the coast. Before we got in the water, we went up on the pier to see what people were catching for the day. Hundreds of people in the water, and I also noticed as I was looking down into the water from the pier, that there were about a dozen sharks 4 to 6 ft long swimming around not 20 feet from those hundreds of people.View attachment 168182 That was it. Never been in the ocean since. Not gonna be a shark snack. Nope, not happening. Got plenty of lakes around here, and I'm good with that.;)

I got grabbed by the undertow at Virginia Beach one time. Almost didn't live long enough to have my kids!

It ripped my feet right out from under me, and the next thing I knew I was tumbling head over heels, over and over again, into deeper water. I remember thinking that that was gonna be a helluva way to die, and Mama was sure gonna be upset.

Then it just decided to spit me out. I was probably the length of about 1.5 to 2 city blocks from shore when I came up for air. SEVERAL hundred feet out.

I don't know that I've been in the ocean in water deeper than my knees ever since. That was in 1975.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No thank you! I live in a coastal state, and the last time I got in the ocean was almost 4 years ago. My family and I liked to go to Emerald Isle on the coast. Before we got in the water, we went up on the pier to see what people were catching for the day. Hundreds of people in the water, and I also noticed as I was looking down into the water from the pier, that there were about a dozen sharks 4 to 6 ft long swimming around not 20 feet from those hundreds of people.View attachment 168182 That was it. Never been in the ocean since. Not gonna be a shark snack. Nope, not happening. Got plenty of lakes around here, and I'm good with that.;)

You do enter the food chain in the ocean. And those jelly fish and sting rays too.
A fresh water swimming hole for me.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I am the same. I lived at a place called Barwon Heads years ago, the small town just next to that place in the picture I posted above with the people on the beach Ocean Grove.
I used to fish off of the bridge at night for Mulloway. Every time you'd see big sharks cruise in and out of the estuary.
My mate just off shore from there had his boat engine propeller chewed on by a 6 foot Mako there too. Once we were fishing in his boat and I rigged up a big bait on a 7 foot stainless trace. Suddenly I just felt a quick "whooomp" rod buckeled for a second then nothing. I reeled in just the line, bait and trace taken in one chomp. My mates face lost colour, he went pale and said "I think we'll head closer to shore". :giggle:
I've caught a few when I was in QLD up to 7 foot and had short tussles with a few monsters, they won, but like you it's turned me off for life swimming in the salt as much as I love fishing in it.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Your loss buddy - besides, it was just a handful of peeps and no sharks

Fuckin' aye perfect - first time in the water this year, thanks to Covid mainly :(

IMG_2240.jpeg

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Watch out for Shark Dressed Vans. Haw haw haw

A little beach vaping music.

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All good here

Bought my sister an open voucher for a swim with dolphins and seals for her and her sons for after lockdown https://www.moonrakercharters.com.au/dolphin-swim/

Will give her something to look forward to. I think that she is getting very sick of the 5km from home for 1 hour limit

That is not far from her, so restrictions shouldn't need to ease too much for them to book a day. Hopefully by Xmas

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning!

Just being lazy today, feels pretty good. Hubby and Jessie are napping. Hubby got everything cleaned up and put away in his shop, getting ready to get back to his fish baits. Jessie supervised from the deck. She is really loving being out there. For me, it's going to be a laptop & Kindle day!

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Probably around 10 AM local, we'll head out out. Need to hit the post office, go do laundry, possibly some grocery shopping. Think she has gotten me switched on to shopping for groceries at Wally World.

Last time we shopped for groceries there we spent about $100 but we had a full cart too. It was more product for less cost than Kroger's. Besides that Wally World seems to have a nice selection.

:cuss2: I really don't want to go to Wally World. Reckon though, we'll do it.

Hoping too my lacking a sense of smell doesn't effect the custodian job. At the training Friday the man giving the lecture commented that we had to smell the bathrooms to ensure they smelled clean. Not sure how I'm going to pull that off, and not sure but what not having that sense won't get me fired.

Got the entry packet. Seems new employees need to pay for their own background checks, physicals, drug tests. Not sure if these are reimbursed, or not. Not sure I'm keen on needing to pay what the employer in most other cases would pay.

One might think as it is a county / local government appointed position the employer would pay for that stuff. Reckon when I go for a physical if it's noted I've no sense of smell, will find out if I'm disqualified. Could almost think not smelling would be beneficial, though I can see smelling being a requirement too.

We'll see.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
expecting a press conference from our state premier (similar to a governor) today (but it is only 0.44am) about a roadmap out of lockdown

it may or may not involve dates, it might also give target numbers to reopen

we have been around ~80 cases for the state p/day. Came down quick from 700, but has stagnated and the dregs are stubborn

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Got the entry packet. Seems new employees need to pay for their own background checks, physicals, drug tests. Not sure if these are reimbursed, or not. Not sure I'm keen on needing to pay what the employer in most other cases would pay.

Drug test is about the only thing employers pay for IME

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching BOTH College football and Nascar right now. Freakin' Denny Hamlin is racing Xfinity...whaaat?

Screenshot from 2020-09-05 10-23-23.png

And two NBA semifinals games later as well if I want...I have a happy!!
s0260.gif

PS: Milly has no interest in NASCAR, but likes watching the football...I knew she was a good kitteh.

PPS: Finally fixed my damn Network card BS...it had been popping into 100MB mode instead of the Gigabit mode it should be doing. Didn't affect my Internet speeds any as it's only 30/5, but it sure as hell affected Network transfers on large files.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Drug test is about the only thing employers pay for IME

Well as wife pointed out I was always working for private companies. They could afford to pay for background check, physical, drug test.

Now, I know some of the companies had shareholders and were on the market, That wasn't how she meant private.These were businesses that wrote of employment processes though. Simply cost of running the business. They were private sector even if traded public.

The county here has to have teachers buy any extra books they want students reading. Teachers also pay for extra supplies here as well. Yes there's an education levy in the county but as we discussed it is likely lining administrative pockets and not going for its actual intent.

Me and her also discussed the whole me being a mandatory reporter regarding child abuse, bullying and the like. She reminded me nothing was done regarding one of the nephews being bullied. Nothing until the nephew through a table at his bully, and then they expelled my nephew. They were told about the bullying.

As to sense of smell required, or not. Still don't know. Probably going to finish filling out the paperwork in the packet tomorrow. Then, Tuesday or Wednesday start arranging appointments. Need to go see the one secretary at the board to get an ID card/badge. The whole process has seemed backwards really.

Then again it is something of a local government position. I expected it to be anything else? *grin*

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
MELBOURNE
WHAT CHANGES FROM SEPTEMBER 13

• Curfew eased to 9pm to 5am
  • Two people or a household can meet outdoors for two hours maximum. Exercise may be split into a maximum of two sessions per day.
  • People who live alone or are single parents may nominate one visitor who may come to their home
  • Playgrounds reopen
  • Weddings for compassionate reasons only, maximum of five people including the couple and celebrant
  • Up to 10 people may attend a funeral (babies under one year not included in person limit)
SECOND STEP: WHAT CHANGES FROM SEPTEMBER 28 (if Melbourne case rate over previous 14 days averages at 30 to 50 cases)

• 9pm to 5am curfew remains
  • Four reasons to leave home – to buy food or essentials, for care or caregiving, for exercise or for work if you can’t do it from home
  • Melburnians must not travel more than 5km from home, unless they have a permitted worker permit
  • Up to five people from two households can meet outdoors for social interactions (children under one year are not counted in the person limit)
  • Childcare and early education reopens
  • Prep to Grade Two, VCE/VCAL and specialist schools return to onsite learning for term four, other grades continue remote learning
  • Essential retail only with others for click and collect
  • Outdoor playgrounds and outdoor pools reopen
  • Outdoor personal training allowed for up to two people per trainer
  • Weddings allowed for compassionate reasons with up to five people including couple and celebrant
  • Outdoor religious gatherings of up to five people plus one faith leader allowed
THIRD STEP: WHAT CHANGES FROM OCTOBER 26 (if state-wide case rate over previous 14 days averages at less than five)

• No curfew
  • No restrictions on reasons to leave home or distances travelled
  • Up to 10 people may gather outside
  • ‘Household bubbles’ – up to five visitors may visit your home from another nominated household
  • Potential staged return to onsite learning for Grade 3 to 10.
  • Hospitality to allow dining in with limitations including offering predominately outdoor dining, a 10 person group limit and density limits
  • All retail open is except personal care
  • Hairdressers reopen (but beauty/personal care do not)
  • Private real estate inspections may resume by appointment, outdoor auctions allowed with gathering limits
  • Outdoor contact and non-contact sport for under 18s allowed, outdoor non-contact sport for adults allowed
  • Outdoor skateparks and fitness open for up to 10 people
  • Weddings allowed with up to 10 people, including the couple and celebrant
  • Up to 20 mourners allowed at funerals (babies under one year not included in person limit)
  • Outdoor religious gatherings for up to 10 people plus a faith leader allowed
  • Outdoor entertainment venues and events may reopen, subject to pre-approved plans
  • Accommodation reopens with caps
LAST STEP: WHAT CHANGES FROM NOVEMBER 23 (if there are no new Victoria-wide cases for 14 days)

• No restrictions on leaving home
  • Up to 50 people may gather outdoors
  • Up to 20 visitors may gather at a home
  • Potential staged return to onsite learning for Grade 3 to 10
  • Adult education returns onsite
  • Continue working from home if you can
  • Hospitality to allow indoor dining for groups of no more than 20, with no more than 50 patrons. Outdoor dining subject to density quotas.
  • All retail open
  • Real estate inspections and auctions may return
  • No exercise restrictions. All exercise facilities may reopen with safety measures in place
  • Organised contact sport resumes for all ages with spectator limits.
  • Weddings allowed with up to 50 people
  • Up to 50 people may attend funerals (infants under 12 months excluded from person limit)
  • Public worship can resume in outdoor or indoor settings subject to density limits
  • Galleries, museums and other entertainment venues open with some restrictions
  • Interstate travel allowed
  • Accommodation reopens fully
COVID NORMAL: WHEN THERE ARE NO NEW CASES STATE-WIDE FOR 28 DAYS

• No restrictions on public gatherings but organisers encouraged to keep attendee records
  • No restrictions on home gatherings but organisers encouraged to keep attendee records
  • Phased return to onsite working for workers who have been working at home
  • No restrictions on community sport or spectators
  • No attendee limits on weddings, funerals or religious gatherings but organisers must keep records of attendees
  • Entertainment venues open with safety measures and record keeping
REGIONAL VICTORIA
SECOND STEP: FROM 11.59PM ON SEPTEMBER 13

• Four reasons to leave home – to buy food or essentials, for care or caregiving, for exercise, or for work if you can’t do it from home
  • Up to five people from a maximum of two households may gather outside (babies under 12 months not included in person limit)
  • People who live alone or are single parents may nominate one visitor who may come to their home
  • Staged return to onsite learning for all students in term four
  • Retail opens with density restrictions
  • Outdoor playgrounds and outdoor pools reopen
  • Outdoor religious gatherings (not ceremonies) of up to five people plus one faith leader allowed
THIRD STEP: WHEN REGIONAL VICTORIA REACHES FEWER THAN FIVE NEW CASES PER DAY (average over a 14 day period)

• No restrictions on reasons to leave home or distance Victorians may travel, but social distancing remains
  • Up to 10 people may gather outside
  • ‘Household bubbles’ – up to five visitors may visit your home from another nominated household
  • Hospitality to allow dining in with limitations including: predominately outdoor dining, a 10 person group limit and density limits
  • Private real estate inspections resume by appointment only. Outdoor auctions allowed, subject to gathering limits
  • Outdoor contact and non-contact sport for under 18s allowed, outdoor non-contact sport for adults allowed
  • Outdoor skateparks and outdoor fitness open for up to 10 people
  • Weddings allowed with up to 10 people plus a faith leader
  • Funerals allowed with up to 20 people (not including infants under 12 months)
  • Outdoor religious gatherings for up to 10 people plus a faith leader are allowed. Facilities reopen for private worship for households or social bubbles
  • Interstate travel allowed across other areas in ‘Third Step’
  • Accommodation opens with caps
LAST STEP: WHEN THERE ARE NO NEW CASES (VICTORIA-WIDE) FOR 14 DAYS

• No restrictions on leaving home but social distancing must remain
  • Up to 50 people may gather outdoors
  • Up to 20 visitors allowed at a home
  • Adult education returns onsite
  • Continue working from home if you can
  • Hospitality to allow indoor dining for groups of no more than 20, with no more than 50 patrons. Outdoor dining subject to density quotas.
  • No exercise restrictions. All exercise facilities may reopen with safety measures in place.
  • Organised contact sport resumes for all ages with spectator limits.
  • Real estate inspections and auctions may return
  • Weddings allowed with up to 50 people
  • Up to 50 people may attend funerals
  • Public worship can resume in outdoor or indoor settings subject to density limits
  • Galleries, museums and other entertainment venues open with some restrictions
  • Accommodation reopens fully
  • Indoor and outdoor venues
COVID NORMAL: WHEN THERE ARE NO NEW CASES STATE-WIDE FOR 28 DAYS

• No restrictions on public gatherings but organisers encouraged to keep attendee records
  • No restrictions on home gatherings but organisers encouraged to keep attendee records
  • Phased return to onsite working for workers who have been working at home
  • No restrictions on community sport or spectators
  • No attendee limits on weddings, funerals or religious gatherings but organisers must keep records of attendees
  • Entertainment venues open with safety measures and record keeping

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not the peeps that I'm worried about. I love the peeps. I just like my meat to stay on the bone where it belongs. :)

Ouch! These were the tame pics. :oops:

View attachment 168214 View attachment 168215 View attachment 168216
There has been an increase in recent years with shark attacks here. I blame the Shark dive industry. Regardless of how they attract them, less chumming now, most use music blared underwater to attract them, rock music many use. Regardless of the attractant they use the sharks only have one thing on their minds all the time and thats food. They are constantly, the Great Whites especially, being purposely drawn towards people and they aint coming to listen to the music for relaxation nor sight see. Many in the industry disagree attracting them towards people plays any role, but I choose to disagree with them.

VU Sponsors