nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Saw our GP doctor this morning. I thought sure he was going to diagnose me with diabetes. He did not. His focus was on my kidneys. Been leaking protein, so he refereed me to a kidney doctor. Not heard anything from them yet.

Everything else seems alright. He sent me out and said see him in six months. I told his receptionist he's mad because I'm cheating on him with other doctors. She got a chuckle. :)

Sometimes that's nothing more than a kidney infection, although kidney infections are serious enough. Did he give you some antibiotics or anything?

I'm taking high-powered ones myself again for a staph infection. Once it gets ya, it's hard to get completely rid of it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Snow is happening. I love snow. :D

IMG_0903.JPG

It's snowing pretty hard now and should continue all day.
I'd warrant we get the 3-5" side of the forecast as I'm right about 2100' elevation. Glad I don't drive anymore, too many idjits out there who apparently forget where the fuck they live every winter.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sometimes that's nothing more than a kidney infection, although kidney infections are serious enough. Did he give you some antibiotics or anything?

I'm taking high-powered ones myself again for a staph infection. Once it gets ya, it's hard to get completely rid of it.

No, he thinks I may have passed a stone. Which I also think is the case. Did have a bout of serious pain the one time in the right area for it.

Me and wife were at the apartment then. That morning was like any other except I doubled over and wound up crawling back to bed.

She took me to E.R. and luckily there was an actual doctor on call that morning. He looked and saw my left kidney had atrophied some.

So it's likely that was a kidney stone passing. And no, I'm not on any kidney medications or antibiotics. Got a medicine for gout, which might be related to the kidney issue/s.

We'll see.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Snow is happening. I love snow. :D

View attachment 171807

It's snowing pretty hard now and should continue all day.
I'd warrant we get the 3-5" side of the forecast as I'm right about 2100' elevation. Glad I don't drive anymore, too many idjits out there who apparently forget where the fuck they live every winter.

You're at 2100 feet? Jeez Louise, no wonder it's damn cold where you live!

We're in the very beginning of the foothills of the Appalachians here and I think the elevation is about 800 feet on the top of this ridge that we live on.

Once when I was in California for training, I drove from outside LA up toward Big Bear. There's like a five-lane highway with a sheer dropoff on one side that scared the living shit out of me once I started getting high up a ways. When I headed up, it was in the mid-60s, and I swear the temperature must have dropped about 20 degrees for every 500 to 1000 feet I went up. By the time I got to 3000 feet, there was ice everywhere, and the roads had been scraped and snow was piled up to either side. By then I had been passing cars and trucks coming down the mountain with what looked like about 15" of snow stacked up on top of them.

I turned my little Southern-Girl ass around and came back down the mountain. lol I decided I wasn't ready to die yet.

That was over 20 years ago now, but best I can remember and see on Google Maps, I think I was on CA-18, something they now call "The Rim of the World Highway."

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
No, he thinks I may have passed a stone. Which I also think is the case. Did have a bout of serious pain the one time in the right area for it.

Me and wife were at the apartment then. That morning was like any other except I doubled over and wound up crawling back to bed.

She took me to E.R. and luckily there was an actual doctor on call that morning. He looked and saw my left kidney had atrophied some.

So it's likely that was a kidney stone passing. And no, I'm not on any kidney medications or antibiotics. Got a medicine for gout, which might be related to the kidney issue/s.

We'll see.

I remember you having some pain problems and talking about it a little back then, I believe.

Hope you get it worked out and it's nothing serious. I'm sure he did blood work and checked your GFR, would tell if there's any kidney damage.

My husband had a kidney stone once, and I've never felt so sorry for anyone in my life, until this week. My son's ex-roommate was in a car accident the other night and he just sent me a picture of the car she was in. She was riding with another friend, and they hit a tree, and her head busted a hole in the windshield, which the rest of her then went through and she was thrown out into the street. She is busted up all over, had to have a rod put in her leg, broken hip, both wrists broken. No telling how long it will take her to get back on her feet, if she ever does. She's lucky to be alive at all.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're at 2100 feet? Jeez Louise, no wonder it's damn cold where you live!

We're in the very beginning of the foothills of the Appalachians here and I think the elevation is about 800 feet on the top of this ridge that we live on.

Once when I was in California for training, I drove from outside LA up toward Big Bear. There's like a five-lane highway with a sheer dropoff on one side that scared the living shit out of me once I started getting high up a ways. When I headed up, it was in the mid-60s, and I swear the temperature must have dropped about 20 degrees for every 500 to 1000 feet I went up. By the time I got to 3000 feet, there was ice everywhere, and the roads had been scraped and snow was piled up to either side. By then I had been passing cars and trucks coming down the mountain with what looked like about 15" of snow stacked up on top of them.

I turned my little Southern-Girl ass around and came back down the mountain. lol I decided I wasn't ready to die yet.

That was over 20 years ago now, but best I can remember and see on Google Maps, I think I was on CA-18, something they now call "The Rim of the World Highway."
Actually, according to the nearest personal weather station to me, it's Elev 2474 ft.

Snap1202.jpg

The city proper sits in a glacial valley formed when Lake Missoula blew it's ice-dam thousands of years ago and steamrolled the NW in a tidal wave of ice, rock and water hundreds of feet deep. I'm up towards the rim of that canyon in the yellow zone on that map. ;)

So, the forecasts coming out of the NWS stationed 20+ mi away and in a completely different zip code near the Airport, are useless here.

Milly is settled down now purring away in her bed, so I think I'll bundle up and walk to Rite-Aid for weekend provisions before it's gets any crazier outside. Plus, I like walking out in the snow...got clothes to about -50F and own thigh-high Air Force surplus felt lined boots...I'm good. Just hate all the damn cars.

Last edited:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lovely quiet beach walk. Since it is raining and miserable, and people only come to the beach for the melanoma :)

e49b1edff5a2937ffcdd6899376df497.jpg
ec6bc408f1582a719977cb1cf7c28ef4.jpg
fd29bc8518d266ac531ca399319648b3.jpg
4b0a8fec0dc7473740b85240bea8abc3.jpg
366993ee5929dfd5b5f897f2e31742c0.jpg
ba00ec85115567027c2e7a5e2c0912c1.jpg
18db085dc0b2ddffd62d2deb3bdb002a.jpg
c07891c0b5d2ecc1871a0c4e9848dbd5.jpg
88baa4c657e5320e5dbd26ca04c999aa.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My son's ex-roommate was in a car accident the other night and he just sent me a picture of the car she was in. She was riding with another friend, and they hit a tree, and her head busted a hole in the windshield, which the rest of her then went through and she was thrown out into the street. She is busted up all over, had to have a rod put in her leg, broken hip, both wrists broken. No telling how long it will take her to get back on her feet, if she ever does. She's lucky to be alive at all.

Yeah. Seen a few bad car wrecks running as e.m.t along I-81. I recall a little twelve year old girl who was lucky like that.

Sadly the remaining ten other people, family, in the car were not so lucky. Sorry to hear of someone experiencing that. You're correct from the sounds of it, luck kept/keeps her alive.

They say hope abounds eternal. When that's all you've got, well, you take it. Place faith in that hope. Not much else can ring true.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

It's getting a bit chilly here (for us). Going to the store shortly for the few needed items, the rest will have to wait. Jessie is doing her normal stuff. She did run off a feline intruder the other night. She was inside the deck, intruder was outside of it, but she was not having it! It was about 1AM, I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed it.

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm sad today

Our local coffee supplier upped the price 50% out of nowheres, and it priced us out of being able to swill this divine elixir as our regular brew :(

We are well otherwise

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I've said elsewhere in the forum a little about going to the doctor last Tuesday and having that damn high-powered over-65 flu shot.

I do not care what they say, a flu shot can make you sick.

I dragged myself out of bed at about 8:10 this morning, feeling like something the cat dragged in. Fixed some grits with a little sausage and one piece of buttered toast, and I could not finish it. Suddenly I felt sick, like stomach sick, and was miserable for the next hour until I finally felt like I could go lie back down and not throw up all over the place. I slept until 2:00.

Had some Ritz crackers and chicken broth a little while ago, and that's been ok, but now I'm getting hungry and I'm scared to eat.

Nausea is something I just don't do. I went from the time I was 18 until I was nearly 50 and never got sick on my stomach except when I was pregnant, so when it occasionally happens, I know something is wrong because it is so abnormal for me.

I'm telling you it was that damn shot. But who, in the time of Covid, is gonna skip their flu shot? I mean really, that's all you need, to get a real bout of the flu, have to go to the doctor, and pick up the damn coronavirus while you're there? Double whammy, sounds like lethal to me.

So I'm here, and I'm alive, but I ain't happy. :sad:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sad today

Our local coffee supplier upped the price 50% out of nowheres, and it priced us out of being able to swill this divine elixir as our regular brew :(

We are well otherwise

Suggestion: Use 1/3 of some complimentary blend and 2/3 of your favorite and see if you can live with that. Or even 1/4 and 3/4. That at least offsets the price increase some. Maybe if you went with 1/4 and 3/4 you'd hardly be able to tell the difference.

I also have a coffee complaint, although I am not the connoisseur that many of you are. I order the little round soft pods of coffee like you'd use in a Senseo machine, been ordering from the same place for several years now. The last three bags I ordered tasted like warmed-up dishwater.

I contacted my vendor about it, and she did respond, wanting the batch number off the bag, which I don't have to send her, because I take the pods out of the bag and put them into an airtight cannister. The last bag I had is long gone in the trash.

So I guess I also am on the hunt for different coffee.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Suggestion: Use 1/3 of some complimentary blend and 2/3 of your favorite and see if you can live with that. Or even 1/4 and 3/4. That at least offsets the price increase some. Maybe if you went with 1/4 and 3/4 you'd hardly be able to tell the difference.

I also have a coffee complaint, although I am not the connoisseur that many of you are. I order the little round soft pods of coffee like you'd use in a Senseo machine, been ordering from the same place for several years now. The last three bags I ordered tasted like warmed-up dishwater.

I contacted my vendor about it, and she did respond, wanting the batch number off the bag, which I don't have to send her, because I take the pods out of the bag and put them into an airtight cannister. The last bag I had is long gone in the trash.

So I guess I also am on the hunt for different coffee.

Well, the other stuff I like gets imported from Ethiopia - and we are also trying to use as much stuff local as possible

We will look at other roasteries I guess; this stuff is grown less than a mile from our home so less of a carbon footprint, but it has defo been priced out of our range now

I do not care what they say, a flu shot can make you sick.

They make me sick as hell - stopped getting them about 20 years ago because of it. Would rather take my chances

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Well, the other stuff I like gets imported from Ethiopia - and we are also trying to use as much stuff local as possible

We will look at other roasteries I guess; this stuff is grown less than a mile from our home so less of a carbon footprint, but it has defo been priced out of our range now

They make me sick as hell - stopped getting them about 20 years ago because of it. Would rather take my chances

I've tried Ethiopian blends a couple of times, and that was some of the best coffee I ever tasted.

I hope you find something you like that's affordable and local.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ethiopian food is really good. There was a restaurant near my old house. The owner always felt sorry for me, going alone. So he'd do little traditional dances for me while I waited

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Ethiopian food is really good. There was a restaurant near my old house. The owner always felt sorry for me, going alone. So he'd do little traditional dances for me while I waited

Weird, a lot of people freak out at the idea of eating out, going to a movie or show alone

I have done since I was a teen and enjoy doing it. If Mr J doesn't want to do or go to something I want, I just do go myself, no problem

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Weird, a lot of people freak out at the idea of eating out, going to a movie or show alone

I have done since I was a teen and enjoy doing it. If Mr J doesn't want to do or go to something I want, I just do go myself, no problem

I think I was a little older than you when I decided this was ok, but I got there. If I had waited for my husband to want to go to entertainment things with me, I'd never have gone anywhere!

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Heading out to do the food run. Didn't get it done yesterday, so today it is. We're going to be pretty cold starting tonight, for the next 3-4days. Freezing at night and slow warm up. 86* today, 39 tomorrow, 35 Tuesday. Way too big of a drop. Going to just hunker down at home. Jessie is going to be pretty unhappy when she goes out on the deck.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Today is a crazy, lazy day. I'm so relaxed I could easily go back to bed. It's 12:45pm here.
3rdPig got his Unlisted Vendor badge today. So he'll be starting a thread soon.
Our temp is supposed to drop 20 degrees tomorrow. Today's high should be 86. We're looking at 68 tomorrow.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Updated weather - down to 28* today, tomorrow 31*. This is just crazy! My door will not be opened today. Jessie did go out this morning, didn't stay long! Maybe the mosquitoes will freeze, lol. Hubby has a roast in the crockpot!

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
We are down 22 degrees for a high today. Currently 62 degrees. High will be 64.
I'm supposed to get my hair cut at 1pm but it's too cold out!

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Brrrrr. Woke up to 22*, real feel 3*. Not nice! Supposed to snow and ice up. Only Jessie has ventured out, comes in with really cold fur and nose. Hubby's roast and veges turned out so good! I'm so glad he likes to cook, and does it well. We're just planning on snuggling in and being couch potatoes.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Morning!

Brrrrr. Woke up to 22*, real feel 3*. Not nice! Supposed to snow and ice up. Only Jessie has ventured out, comes in with really cold fur and nose. Hubby's roast and veges turned out so good! I'm so glad he likes to cook, and does it well. We're just planning on snuggling in and being couch potatoes.

I didn't think New Mexico can get that cold!

Woke up to 55 this morning. We Arizonans are such wimps when it comes to winter temps.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Yes, we do, but this is really early! We even have 5-6" of snow! Not unheard of but not the normal. Our first winter here, in '85, my Hubby decided that we were now in the desert, so he refused to buy a winter coat. We had 2 storms back to back, huge amount of snow, city shut down. We are in the high desert not the Sahara-type low desert. He learned real quick!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Needed a few things and to get the hell out of the Apt. for a while.
A local store had some good sale stuff going on, like 2lbs of cheddar for $5. So I took the dang bus in 38F weather and did some grocery shopping.

Lugged home about 35lbs of stuff in my bigazz "shopping" bag. The bagger guy was like "can I help you out with that, it's pretty heavy?" I'm like nope, I'm carrying it. Funny, the kid was half my age...LOL ;-)

Here's some fun stuff: Yessss...the Nog and Pumpkin Spice creamer has finally arrived!

XN75euZ.jpg

Those coffee beans are from the oldest roaster/coffeehouse in town...since 1976.
I first went there about 1987 or so and it was the raddest place to be, full of old beatnik types, punk rock kids, you name it. This grocery store is one of their distributors nowadays.

I still drink their original house blend...nothing beats it IMO.

Oh and the Torpedo IPA, it's amazing with a 93 rating on Beer Advocate, and for good reason. ?

PS: Milly was super-happy to see me come home and barely let me put the bag down before she was rubbing/jumping up on me and purring her head off..Awww..

Last edited:

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Needed a few things and to get the hell out of the Apt. for a while.
A local store had some good sale stuff going on, like 2lbs of cheddar for $5. So I took the dang bus in 38F weather and did some grocery shopping.

Lugged home about 35lbs of stuff in my bigazz "shopping" bag. The bagger guy was like "can I help you out with that, it's pretty heavy?" I'm like nope, I'm carrying it. Funny, the kid was half my age...LOL ;-)

Here's some fun stuff: Yessss...the Nog and Pumpkin Spice creamer has finally arrived!

XN75euZ.jpg

Those coffee beans are from the oldest roaster/coffeehouse in town...since 1976.
I first went there about 1987 or so and it was the raddest place to be, full of old beatnik types, punk rock kids, you name it. This grocery store is one of their distributors nowadays.

I still drink their original house blend...nothing beats it IMO.

Oh and the Torpedo IPA, it's amazing with a 93 rating on Beer Advocate, and for good reason. ?

PS: Milly was super-happy to see me come home and barely let me put the bag down before she was rubbing/jumping up on me and purring her head off..Awww..
I grab that Torpedo Beer myself once in a while. My local liquor store orders a case at a time for me. A little expensive but worth it.
You should have bought a Steelers hat while you were out! :giggle:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I grab that Torpedo Beer myself once in a while. My local liquor store orders a case at a time for me. A little expensive but worth it.
You should have bought a Steelers hat while you were out! :giggle:

Yeah, it isn't something I'd want everyday, but is a nice treat for myself.
It was on sale too for $8 for a sixer of bottles. Not bad... :)

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A calm morning here. Milly and I went to bed after football last night, so woke kinda early.

It's gonna be cooler, wet, and windy today. It's one reason I did the store trek yesterday...not walking/carrying weather today!

Fed Milly, cleaned her litter, then ate a no-fuss breakfast of brown rice 'n white beans with bits of corned beef, peas, cheese and Tamazula sauce on a big slab of Waterfront sourdough. It's nummers on a chilly morning. :)

Now relaxing and watching news with my trusty CoV Tempest beasty and a Digiflavor Fuji full of a minty-vanilla tobacco blend. WIth a cup of 2:1 Black tea and Chamomile/Anise tea. Very soothing and good for digestion. :D

kj3i9yGl.jpg

Football Friday is crazy with more positve tests, more games postponed..arrghh. No games until 4:30pm.

BUT...a new Season and Ep of The Mandalorian is out...yay!!

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Well, the snow is all gone! Temps are going back up, yay! Jessie was not a happy kitty, she did try to go out but doesn't like it that cold. No snow on our covered deck, wonder how she would have reacted to it. The sun is out, that always makes me feel better. Better get busy and do some mixing.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good game going on with Tua's younger brother at the helm of Maryland. :D

Screenshot from 2020-10-30 17-40-32.png

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
looks good!. Damn,now i have to go and order some more Torpedo tomorrow! It's been a while.

@CaFF just makes me want to eat friggin pizza all the time! I am a pizza hound anyway, and all those pics don't help! lol

You guys will think I'm crazy, but my favorite place to get pizza is a convenience store. It's out in the middle of nowhere, about 2 miles from our house, and they keep the pizza oven going until about 7:30 pm, and they close for the night at 8. A country store, is what I'm saying. But they make the best meat-lovers plus mushroom and onion pizzas! NY style crust, great sauce, lots of toppings and cheese. YUM!

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Pretty morning here, going up to 79*. Sure better than the snow! I think do a few chores and then read for a while. I loaded up my Kindle yesterday so lots to chose from. Jessie is spending lots of time on the deck, she still watches for bugs. I wonder if I can talk Hubby into making pizza....

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Checking in - now I want pizza :p

I make mine on top of portobello mushroom instead of crust - super yummy

Weirdo, I do not eat cheese either

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Checking in - now I want pizza :p

I make mine on top of portobello mushroom instead of crust - super yummy

Weirdo, I do not eat cheese either
I LOVE that idea! I'm not big bread person. It has to be on thin crust - or not at all like you mentioned.
I'd order delivery tonight but I'm making a pork roast tomorrow. I don't want the leftovers to mingle with my meat tomorrow!

Not doing much of anything today. I'm antsy about it, too. I keep getting up to do something but there are so many things to do I keep coming back to this bloody desk chair.

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
At the local pizzeria they have a Roadkill pizza. Lol. It's a meat lovers pizza, includes buffalo meat on it. It's loaded full of meat. I'm sure it's tasty, but I don't eat pig :huh:

Oh... I do have left over pizza in the fridge, but it just has buffalo meat on it and it is YUMMY :)

Sent from....Somewhere on Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
@Jimi reminded me to do that when I have to give up grains a few years ago
I LOVE that idea! I'm not big bread person. It has to be on thin crust - or not at all like you mentioned.
I'd order delivery tonight but I'm making a pork roast tomorrow. I don't want the leftovers to mingle with my meat tomorrow!

Not doing much of anything today. I'm antsy about, too. I keep getting up to do something but there are so many things to do I keep coming back to this bloody desk chair.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Hubby had to go to get food by himself, I'm not feeling spunky this morning. He'll manage. Jessie was on the bed with me this morning, does she know something I don't? Once I got up she headed out on the deck. Hubby was all cheerful and stuff, I told him to go away.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Found a cool deal at Trader Joe's today while on a walk to get some snack stuff for MNF.

They have the identical super-yummers PB-filled pretzels as Costco (probably the same supplier) but for half the price. Only $2.50 for a 16oz bag. :shades:?

IMG_20201102_155156.jpg

I got two and it filled my old 55oz container halfway and I think that was like $20 originally.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL, the (arguably) worst team in the NFL is beating Brady...I love it.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-11-02 17-59-19.png
    Screenshot from 2020-11-02 17-59-19.png
    1 MB · Views: 6

VU Sponsors