Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Out today for a bush walk. We went for a drive to go there after being in lockdown.
This is why I drive way under the speed limit in the early mornings and afternoons. And never if I can help it at night.
This is coming home. Time is 1 hour ahead on the Navman, forgot to adjust it. Was 100k zone im in and if id been doing that id have hit them for sure and ruined the front end. Was doing just 76 when they sprang out but still had to break hard.

Screenshot_20210605-171813(2).png
Screenshot_20210605-171319(1).pngScreenshot_20210605-171737(1).png

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Out today for a bush walk. We went for a drive to go there after being in lockdown.
This is why I drive way under the speed limit in the early mornings and afternoons. And never if I can help it at night.
This is coming home. Time is 1 hour ahead on the Navman, forgot to adjust it. Was 100k zone im in and if id been doing that id have hit them for sure and ruined the front end. Was doing just 76 when they sprang out but still had to break hard.

View attachment 182787
View attachment 182788View attachment 182789

Looks like them roo are about as bad as our deer. I got deer whistles installed on my minivan, which work well at decent speeds. They don't work when driving slow. For instance: a couple months ago, while driving through a construction zone at 45 mph, 7 deer ran across the highway where I was. I hit the brakes to avoid hitting one, and another hit my rear end, just grazing it. The car behind me got hit too.

This is in an area of Texas that y'all would call bush country. Mostly nothing but farmers fields, mesquite trees, scrub cedars, cacti, and grasses.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Looks like them roo are about as bad as our deer. I got deer whistles installed on my minivan, which work well at decent speeds. They don't work when driving slow. For instance: a couple months ago, while driving through a construction zone at 45 mph, 7 deer ran across the highway where I was. I hit the brakes to avoid hitting one, and another hit my rear end, just grazing it. The car behind me got hit too.

This is in an area of Texas that y'all would call bush country. Mostly nothing but farmers fields, mesquite trees, scrub cedars, cacti, and grasses.
Your deer sound like they have as much road sense as our roos. Those noise makers the roos dont pay any attention to. Im sure other animals its does but for roos nope. I had them the whistle ones and still had them jump out often. A guy I know got one of the supposed best electronic ones called a Shu Roo. Cost him $800 fitted.
s-l400.jpg
He saw some roos feeding near a roadside so stopped and turned it on. They didnt budge or pay and attention. He even was once near some wildlife sanctuary place and saw some there at the fence so drove right up to the fence facing them and turned it on.
They couldn't have cared less he said. :giggle:
I had to laugh once at a mates place when we were there. He had the electronic mouse repellers. One pluged into a kitchen power point where we were sitting. He had just finished commenting on how good they were when we looked over at it and saw a mouse scamper along the bench right in front of it. Me and the misses burst into fits of laughter. It was a classic. :giggle:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your deer sound like they have as much road sense as our roos. Those noise makers the roos dont pay any attention to. Im sure other animals its does but for roos nope. I had them the whistle ones and still had them jump out often. A guy I know got one of the supposed best electronic ones called a Shu Roo. Cost him $800 fitted.
View attachment 182813
He saw some roos feeding near a roadside so stopped and turned it on. They didnt budge or pay and attention. He even was once near some wildlife sanctuary place and saw some there at the fence so drove right up to the fence facing them and turned it on.
They couldn't have cared less he said. :giggle:
I had to laugh once at a mates place when we were there. He had the electronic mouse repellers. One pluged into a kitchen power point where we were sitting. He had just finished commenting on how good they were when we looked over at it and saw a mouse scamper along the bench right in front of it. Me and the misses burst into fits of laughter. It was a classic. :giggle:
Eh. Those electronic pest repellers they sell for the house ain't worth diddly. Our dogs do a better job getting rid of mice. They kill em and leave em at the bottom of the back steps. It gives them something to do at night.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Eh. Those electronic pest repellers they sell for the house ain't worth diddly. Our dogs do a better job getting rid of mice. They kill em and leave em at the bottom of the back steps. It gives them something to do at night.

Speaking of which. I have a damn mouse inside my house. I was in the bathroom, for fuck's sake, and saw that little bastard run under one door, through the bathroom, and into my damn bedroom, going like a blue streak, yesterday morning.

Before the day's out there will be a mousetrap loaded with peanut butter just waiting for his brazen little ass.

We've been leaving the front door open when the weather's nice, and sometimes the storm door isn't completely closed, and I betcha he sneaked into the house right through that gap in the door. No more. I can't stand a fuckin mouse.

Otherwise, I hope everybody's doing well and getting vaccinated. We're good here, still staying home most of the time, but when our Chinese place opens back up I hope we can reinstate our regular Tuesday night dinners there.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of which. I have a damn mouse inside my house. I was in the bathroom, for fuck's sake, and saw that little bastard run under one door, through the bathroom, and into my damn bedroom, going like a blue streak, yesterday morning.

Before the day's out there will be a mousetrap loaded with peanut butter just waiting for his brazen little ass.

We've been leaving the front door open when the weather's nice, and sometimes the storm door isn't completely closed, and I betcha he sneaked into the house right through that gap in the door. No more. I can't stand a fuckin mouse.

Otherwise, I hope everybody's doing well and getting vaccinated. We're good here, still staying home most of the time, but when our Chinese place opens back up I hope we can reinstate our regular Tuesday night dinners there.
There's just something about miniature schnauzers, particularly our female (that is very protective and will run after anything she sees moving about) being in the house. Our yorkie will attack critters out in the yard, but the schnauzers attack critters in the house. We had a mouse that could elude them. We put a trap in a drawer under the tank our bearded dragon is kept in. That mouse is no more. The schnauzers leave (on average) 2 mice a week at the bottom of the outside steps. We had no idea that many were sneaking in.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Deer can be a problem here in WV as well. Last part of last year, me & wife hit one. The deer seeming "just appeared" in the middle of the road. We had been talking a bit but neither was really distracted.

Traffic behind us, I told wife don't bother the brakes. It was too late for them. Hit the deer and she rolled over the car. There was roughly $1,500+ in damage to the car. Wife managed to get off the road a short way. We looked it over.

We got to a church parking lot, she called her insurance company. First question from them, "everyone alright?" At the same time someone in the background had called up a listing of towing services. Wife told them to send "Red Barn".

Insurance had the car fully repaired & paid. Not only that but they paid a week for an Enteprise car loan. Her rate only marginally went up. She's not had any accidents. She was shaken. I told her to call her dad. He got us home. Me and him were making wisecracks, knew she needed to get past the shock. "You ain't hurt, get back on that horse."

Yes, the deer here are known to be kamikaze. They'll wait to ambush passing cars. If you're up on them before you realize it, do not touch the breaks or swerve. Hit them and be done. Trying to use breaks or swerving can lead to more dangerous/disastrous a situation.

Today is our "do nothing" day. Tomorrow I got a barber appointment, Shrek, our dog has a vet appointment. Yesterday morning before we went to do laundry these two kids got to playing a bit. Damn shame our bed isn't sproingy any more. *chuckles*

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Will be attending my niece in Seattle's wedding via social media in an hour, can't wait

Wish I was there, but am standing my decision not to try to travel right now

Then will go to neighbor's yurt for yoga and I will be bringing lilikoi blossom tea, fresh from the garden

IMG_2906.jpeg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Deer can be a problem here in WV as well. Last part of last year, me & wife hit one. The deer seeming "just appeared" in the middle of the road. We had been talking a bit but neither was really distracted.

Traffic behind us, I told wife don't bother the brakes. It was too late for them. Hit the deer and she rolled over the car. There was roughly $1,500+ in damage to the car. Wife managed to get off the road a short way. We looked it over.

We got to a church parking lot, she called her insurance company. First question from them, "everyone alright?" At the same time someone in the background had called up a listing of towing services. Wife told them to send "Red Barn".

Insurance had the car fully repaired & paid. Not only that but they paid a week for an Enteprise car loan. Her rate only marginally went up. She's not had any accidents. She was shaken. I told her to call her dad. He got us home. Me and him were making wisecracks, knew she needed to get past the shock. "You ain't hurt, get back on that horse."

Yes, the deer here are known to be kamikaze. They'll wait to ambush passing cars. If you're up on them before you realize it, do not touch the breaks or swerve. Hit them and be done. Trying to use breaks or swerving can lead to more dangerous/disastrous a situation.

Today is our "do nothing" day. Tomorrow I got a barber appointment, Shrek, our dog has a vet appointment. Yesterday morning before we went to do laundry these two kids got to playing a bit. Damn shame our bed isn't sproingy any more. *chuckles*

I've hit five deer in the 20 years we've lived here in Virginia. The last one caused about $9,400 damage to my car, and the one before that, just under $5,000. The other three were minor in comparison. But you're right, they can appear out of nowhere. The two worst ones, I believe the deer had leapt off embankments and were in the process of landing in the road when I came along going about 60mph on the last one, and about 45 on the one before that. I was able to drive the cars home both times, but it seemed like it took forever. I went slow. The last one, it's a wonder it didn't cause my airbags to deploy, because it tore up the front end of my car. Took forever to get the car fixed.

In Virginia insurance companies cover deer accidents under your comprehensive insurance, so you have whatever that deductible is to pay, but it does not cause rates to go up. Thank goodness, because it's expensive enough having insurance on four vehicles to start with.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Will be attending my niece in Seattle's wedding via social media in an hour, can't wait

Wish I was there, but am standing my decision not to try to travel right now

Then will go to neighbor's yurt for yoga and I will be bringing lilikoi blossom tea, fresh from the garden

View attachment 182840

That's so beautiful! I've never seen anything like it!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
There is an indigenous variety to Virginia - you may know it as a Passion flower. Exact same family of flora

It has a mildly sedative affect

View attachment 182841

I've never seen one of those, either! Closest thing I can think of is the bloom from a Mimosa tree. Those are all around here for a short time in the late spring. And now that I see the picture again, it's nowhere close really. The two you posted do look very similar, though. They are amazing!

1623007168896.png

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The trees, especially after they're of some age, can be really beautiful, but they are a mess when the tree sheds its blooms.View attachment 182843

I have two varieties, and both blossoms grow into Passion Fruit if I don't rob all the blossoms for tea, lol
Not all varieties produce edible fruit

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hamala alkaloids!

I have vaped VG based passionflower tincture. OK for anxiety

Yeah, very subtle but noticeable - also good for just before bedtime if you need a small push over the edge

I just do tea, never thought about trying to make a vape out of it. Once it starts really pumping out blossoms I might try that in a few weeks :)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
we have lots of exotic looking blooms

grevillia is a favourite of mine. And parrots love it https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...Vw8XMBHaxFDGMQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1600&bih=753

i would love if warratah grew this far east https://www.google.com/search?q=war...mg&ei=KS-9YPOMOYfyrQGLo7TYCg&bih=753&biw=1600

and a bunch that are vaguely similar. Banksia, callistemon, both favourites of my parrots. Double as toys and really healthy veggies for them

some of the banksias must be super high sugar, because they make the boys hyper. Lots of joyflight laps after big banksia blossums

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The trees, especially after they're of some age, can be really beautiful, but they are a mess when the tree sheds its blooms.View attachment 182843

Speaking of messy, we have 2 of the Northern Catalpa trees in our front yard. One got struck by lightning a couple years back, and survived. When the trees are in bloom, the lawn looks like it is covered in popcorn. In winter, the lawn is covered in seed pods.

Northern-Catalpa.jpg

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

Eeek! I hope you find it soon! Them vermin chew on stuff. Especially plastic. I clearly remember hearing the lil' shit chewing on it under my bathtub when I was in there. Not only that, but he chewed a hole in the back wall under the sink and chewed a bunch of lids off of stuff. Them and rats teeth keep growing and they need to chew on stuff to keep them manageable. Even the mice can cause damage after a while. You may want hubs to take a walk around the lower perimeter of the house to see if there are any open areas where vermin can slip in.

Take this feller. This is what caused the flood we had in 2018. Here in certain parts of AZ we have Roof Rats. They convene primarily when the fruit trees have bloomed. In this case orange and lemon trees. Some trees are close to some roofs and they eventually make their way in. We don't have a fruit tree but our neighbor has a large lemon tree. This was a first for us after being here for 25yrs. He chewed the thick, main PVC cap that intersects the kitchen and 2 baths.

16 " long = 8" body and 8" tail x 3" wide. Our old exterminator said it was the biggest he had seen. Hence, the photo he took.
We had to buy these 6" x 4" traps with strong snappy toothed jaws. I'll send you a couple to put around the house if it comes to that.
Roof Rat 16x3 8 inch body and 8 inch tail.jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Eeek! I hope you find it soon! Them vermin chew on stuff. Especially plastic. I clearly remember hearing the lil' shit chewing on it under my bathtub when I was in there. Not only that, but he chewed a hole in the back wall under the sink and chewed a bunch of lids off of stuff. Them and rats teeth keep growing and they need to chew on stuff to keep them manageable. Even the mice can cause damage after a while. You may want hubs to take a walk around the lower perimeter of the house to see if there are any open areas where vermin can slip in.

Take this feller. This is what caused the flood we had in 2018. Here in certain parts of AZ we have Roof Rats. They convene primarily when the fruit trees have bloomed. In this case orange and lemon trees. Some trees are close to some roofs and they eventually make their way in. We don't have a fruit tree but our neighbor has a large lemon tree. This was a first for us after being here for 25yrs. He chewed the thick, main PVC cap that intersects the kitchen and 2 baths.

16 " long = 8" body and 8" tail x 3" wide. Our old exterminator said it was the biggest he had seen. Hence, the photo he took.
We had to buy these 6" x 4" traps with strong snappy toothed jaws. I'll send you a couple to put around the house if it comes to that.
View attachment 182862
Walk the planks one of the best catchers. Get a large deep bucket, set up a ruler on a hinge so it sits flat with the bait on it. Half fill with water and set it near something they can climb up and onto the ruler. They walk onto it for the bait fall then drown. It keeps working and working all night. Not unusual to catch a dozen mice or rats in one. I made one once for a mate, he was amazed how well it worked.
Edit...it works like this though it wont take too much imagination to make your own like I did..
Ruler, cheap hinge, silicone sealer to hold the hinge in place or anything you can think to hold it. Just get the balance right and its goodnight rodents. Forget 1 catch mouse traps, these keep on keeping on.
s-l400 (1).jpg

Last edited:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Second day of over 100*. Another 3 or 4 days of it, Thursday is supposed to be 109*!!! Way too hot for me, I'll be keeping myself inside with the A/C on.

Jessie is missing Hubby. He'll be home tomorrow, though, and she'll be happy. It's been a good trip for him, lots of fish caught with the baits that he made. Fish fry coming up!

Went to the ophthamologist, said I have baby cataracts. Phooey, I hate having my eyes messed with. Go back in 6 months to check progress.

Those flowers are all so beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

Stay safe and healthy :hug:

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Morning!

Second day of over 100*. Another 3 or 4 days of it, Thursday is supposed to be 109*!!! Way too hot for me, I'll be keeping myself inside with the A/C on.

Jessie is missing Hubby. He'll be home tomorrow, though, and she'll be happy. It's been a good trip for him, lots of fish caught with the baits that he made. Fish fry coming up!

Went to the ophthamologist, said I have baby cataracts. Phooey, I hate having my eyes messed with. Go back in 6 months to check progress.

Those flowers are all so beautiful! Thanks for sharing them.

Oh I want to see some fish pics! We had lockdown during the best perfect fishing weather for this time of yr even though we had zero cases and shouldn't have been locked down here in the bush. Now our lockdown is over we have gail force winds 40 to 55 kph, low pressure systems the fish hate, arctic southerly winds and rain. :confused: So free to go places but now cant unless you want to play dodge the falling dead gum tree branches, get wet and still catch no fish. :confused:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 182862
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but rodents can cause much more extensive damage. When they get around to chewing on household wiring, especially in walls or in the attic, they can cause electrical fires, and you could potentially lose your home due to the little bastards.

We throw little bricks of mouse poison in our attic every year whether we need to or not. It's cheaper than losing our house.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

How goes it with Mickey?

From a bar across town.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
My husband is apparently not bothered. I'm going to make him bothered about it today. I may nag.
"Mice are able to begin breeding within 6 weeks of birth There is no specific season when mice breed. They will have litters all year round. Both males and females are usually ready to mate within the first 50 days of life. Females can have up to 15 litters a year and can become pregnant within 24 hours after giving birth. The average gestation time for mice is 19 to 21 days. The average litter size is 10 to 12 pups."

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
"Mice are able to begin breeding within 6 weeks of birth There is no specific season when mice breed. They will have litters all year round. Both males and females are usually ready to mate within the first 50 days of life. Females can have up to 15 litters a year and can become pregnant within 24 hours after giving birth. The average gestation time for mice is 19 to 21 days. The average litter size is 10 to 12 pups."

He's put traps out already, I just didn't know it.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Hubby is home! Jessie is so excited. After she turned her back to him, had to make sure he knew she was displeased, she was all over him. Under his feet, talking to him. He says she was telling all about what happened when he was gone, and how unhappy she was.

Lucy, that is the cutest little tomato! I'm with you, Nada, no rodents! Smigo, sorry no pics. I'll try to talk him into taking some on his next trip.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good here.

Shrek was to vet on Tuesday. He had been seeming to gnaw on his feet. Vet looked him over & concluded he had seasonal allergies. He can take a benadryl.

PT is going well for me. Therapists have been working out a knotted muscle. Tuesday one finally used his thumb and tugged the knot, pulling the tendon over where it needed to be. It did and didn't hurt when he did that. Feels lots better since.

Wife is doing fine too. We just keep working, putting money back. Eventually we'll get to where we want. :)

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Good here.

Shrek was to vet on Tuesday. He had been seeming to gnaw on his feet. Vet looked him over & concluded he had seasonal allergies. He can take a benadryl.

PT is going well for me. Therapists have been working out a knotted muscle. Tuesday one finally used his thumb and tugged the knot, pulling the tendon over where it needed to be. It did and didn't hurt when he did that. Feels lots better since.

Wife is doing fine too. We just keep working, putting money back. Eventually we'll get to where we want. :)
Our Staffy used to get allergies that drove him and us mad, scratching, chewing his feet. We eliminated all grains from his diet, amazing how much dog foods contain grain, and he had no more allergies. Has he had a diet change, some new food?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Our Staffy used to get allergies that drove him and us mad, scratching, chewing his feet. We eliminated all grains from his diet, amazing how much dog foods contain grain, and he had no more allergies. Has he had a diet change, some new food?

No, no diet change. He's been getting a certain brand for a few years now. Wife is good on checking labels, ensuring it's not anything bad for a critter.

We got a lot of Johnson grass in our area. That and rag weed, trees, all kinds of contact poisons,, ... easy enough to see why seasonal allergies. I myself, am taking an otc generic Zyrtec to help avoid them.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Taking care of my mother has seriously brought back aches and pains the likes of which I am only used to experiencing in the coldest times of winter. The one and only time my sister tried to help only made matters worse. My back and hip pain are well documented, as I have had plenty for quite some time. I'm just not used to having it this bad during warm weather.

I got me a quad cane, and modified it. Using a walker while taking care of someone is kind of self-defeating. Where I have the bolt going through to hold the roller skate wheels, I have angle iron welded in place to reinforce and support my work.

stay emojis

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Using a walker while taking care of someone is kind of self-defeating.

Reminds me of EMT training. We were given "The First rule Of Being An EMT". Before you even start patient assessment, STOP, check out the area, situation, yourself.

Are you sure you won't make second patient? If you are, continue to help the patient, if not call for help. I learned this also carried over to CNA & nursing.

We got told this wasn't being selfish. It was simply helping by making sure you could help. A lot of time can be lost helping multiple patients on one site, time often is the biggest enemy.

The "Golden Window" usually runs about 7 minutes.

My apologies too. Don't mean this as negative toward you. And yes, I know you do what you need to do for family. Also know that a lot of us make do with or without adequate resources, help. Many of us have even grown accustomed to doing without far better than those with.

That is the damn shame of this world too.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had a little fun this morning. We got a fire pit a little off from the house here in the bottom. Shrek went out for his morning potty.

At the fire pit was old "Charlie" my wife's granddad's raccoon. Well, Charlie decided he ought to introduce himself to Shrek. He climbed down some debris to meet Shrek.

Of course Shrek was determined to be the big bad LEO. *chuckles* Charlie raised up his front paws almost as if to emulate "hands up don't shoot".

The raccoon was actually being very polite. He could had lain into Shrek. It would have been a mess.

No, the raccoon only wanted to say "hello". He didn't want a fight. He merely wanted to let Shrek know he was a "buddy" not an enemy.

As this was going on off down a piece three deer leapt up over the dog pen fence. They had been rutting in the dog pen, which I had already figured they did. The weeds get tall in it so it's a good cover area for that.

Oh it was a funny site watching that raccoon back up front paws up. Then, it turned and clamored over some brush on the back of the fire pit, took off across the bottom.Yes, the raccoon was made a pet by her granddad.

He's been "wild" for a while though. He comes "in" every once in a bit to look things over and let us all know he's still doing okay. More like he comes and nabs a meal from the trash. *chuckles*

So far he's not displayed any sign of rabies. We don't get too worried over him. In fact I think we all are glad he comes to remind us of her Pawpaw.

All the deer what leapt and ran were does. I'm waiting to catch sight of the 12 point buck that runs them. I know he's out there, seen him in a glimpse once. After that he's played invisible man.

Got a call to go in and cover for Ashley at local elementary today. I'll cover the lunch shift for her. It's a 4 hour shift, nothing difficult. Tomorrow is last for this school year.

Will not know if I get rehired until after the 28th. Figure I will as it seems I was the last one working out of 17 hired in. Hopefully next year will bring a full time spot quickly I can bid on.

Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Reminds me of EMT training. We were given "The First rule Of Being An EMT". Before you even start patient assessment, STOP, check out the area, situation, yourself.

Are you sure you won't make second patient? If you are, continue to help the patient, if not call for help. I learned this also carried over to CNA & nursing.

We got told this wasn't being selfish. It was simply helping by making sure you could help. A lot of time can be lost helping multiple patients on one site, time often is the biggest enemy.

The "Golden Window" usually runs about 7 minutes.

My apologies too. Don't mean this as negative toward you. And yes, I know you do what you need to do for family. Also know that a lot of us make do with or without adequate resources, help. Many of us have even grown accustomed to doing without far better than those with.

That is the damn shame of this world too.
I remember when my stepfather died. All kinds of people told my mother "if you ever need anything, just let me know". And when she did need them, she called them, and each of them had dozens of excuses why they could not help. Each of those people to this day act cold as ice towards us. We can't afford to hire someone reliable to come in and help out, and we sure as hell can't depend on anyone else. If you want something done at all, you have to do it yourself around here.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I remember when my stepfather died. All kinds of people told my mother "if you ever need anything, just let me know". And when she did need them, she called them, and each of them had dozens of excuses why they could not help. Each of those people to this day act cold as ice towards us. We can't afford to hire someone reliable to come in and help out, and we sure as hell can't depend on anyone else. If you want something done at all, you have to do it yourself around here.
Me and the misses were talking about that yesterday. All the relatives and friends that say they will come and see you and do this and that. Its just made up feel good talk that so many do to look and sound good without having any real intentions of doing so.
Most of my side are useless self absorbed whatevers. One sister referred to me as "well aren't you the golden boy!". Why? Because I used to regularly visit and help my elderly parents like any normal person should. My poor misses though. After her dad died she/we have been totally exiled from her family and my wife totally disinherited. Her brother always wanted the big house in Melbourne which is worth easy 2 million, the parents house. Now he has it. Even though the mother is still alive. He has spent about $150,000 doing additions to it even though he cried poor and not long before our exile we gave him $1000. We are not even allowed to visit my wifes mother. How did he pull it off? He told everyone that I threatened to kill him, that he fears for his life. Which I have never said to anyone in my entire life, even my worst enemies. So my wife went from having a huge extended Italian family to having zero, all gone because of a greedy liar.
Family. Anyone with a good one count yourself lucky I say. 👍

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My stepfather had died from pneumonia the day after he turned 55, 10 years ago. I turn 55 tomorrow.. Anyhow, most of his family were super nice and sweet while he was alive, and for a few years after he died. I helped them out with as much as I could. Now, forget about it, especially since his mother passed away. She was the bond that held the family together.

As for our family, (I never had kids) my mom's grandkids are spread far and wide. The one that is local doesn't even give a shit enough to see her in sickness or in health. He just sends out invites to birthday parties for his kids, so they can get stuff on the gift registries. My sister is worse than useless, and makes matters worse. My brother lives an hour away, and (of course) would have a hard time having time to help out since he works for a living.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
My stepfather had died from pneumonia the day after he turned 55, 10 years ago. I turn 55 tomorrow.. Anyhow, most of his family were super nice and sweet while he was alive, and for a few years after he died. I helped them out with as much as I could. Now, forget about it, especially since his mother passed away. She was the bond that held the family together.

As for our family, (I never had kids) my mom's grandkids are spread far and wide. The one that is local doesn't even give a shit enough to see her in sickness or in health. He just sends out invites to birthday parties for his kids, so they can get stuff on the gift registries. My sister is worse than useless, and makes matters worse. My brother lives an hour away, and (of course) would have a hard time having time to help out since he works for a living.
Mine were near useless as far as caring and respect when both parents were alive (though my parents taught them to be otherwise so they had/have no excuse), more so after Dad passed away, but now my Mums gone they are utterly pathetic. One I thought had changed but in the past yr or so has shown its not so. They are all sisters, 4 of them I dont have a brother.
I used to say often to many people. "I wish my sisters were brothers". They'd say "oh, you missed not having a brother to play with as a kid!?" Id answer "Nah I couldn't have cared less about that, I wish they were all brothers so I could knock them all out!" :giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
maxresdefault.jpg

VU Sponsors