ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The water's off again -- the goddamned thing is leaking at both the cold-in and hot-out pipes. I took my sleepy pills so I can go to bed in an hour, but with all the racket he's making with the goddamned water heater... *sigh* He's always so handy, can't figure out why this is such a problem for him. Normally he can fix or install anything at all, no sweat. :facepalm: And he got PLENTY of sleep!

Andria
Brass nipples screwed into the water heater?
Need the dielectric nipples.
If brass is connected to the WH the difference in expansion/contraction rates will cause the connection to leak.
Also whatever you use also use teflon tape.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If brass is connected to the WH the difference in expansion/contraction rates will cause the connection to leak.

I'm onto you Cromwell

You just wanted to say nipples

roxynoodle

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Andria, a friend and I had all kinds of trouble with Bashik over our Ataman 2s. He cheated me out of drip tips I paid for, but didn't receive. My friend's titanium tank didn't work on his RTA; it just spun on the threads and couldn't seal. He told us both he "would maybe consider" discussing our issues when we bought more attys. We both told him to GFY!

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I must have 50 bottom fed drippers....none leak....Andria has some BAD luck.....:cry::cry:

My Mrs. can make every damn thing I own leak. And it's genuine, not user error! I dunno how, but then I reclaim them and I have no problem. She takes em back, and leak they will. I think it's because the women are HOT, and the juice runs much thinner...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My Mrs. can make every damn thing I own leak. And it's genuine, not user error! I dunno how, but then I reclaim them and I have no problem. She takes em back, and leak they will. I think it's because the women are HOT, and the juice runs much thinner...

Does this include your mipples?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is a REASON that plumbers get $85/hr. They CAN! Definitely one skill I ALWAYS hire out.

Well, originally Lowes was going to do it, for a reasonable labor charge. Then they said that our county requires a thermal expansion tank, so we're all ok, no prob, it was only another $40-- but they were going ADD $500 MORE TO THE LABOR! So we said fuck you very much, we'd like our money back, and do the installation ourselves. So we bought the thermal expansion tank when we bought the water heater. When he started looking at all the different pipes and valves and whatnots, he realized that we do NOT need a thermal expansion tank, we have a backflow preventer already in-line, and any thermal expansion backflow is piped out the drain line. So they were going to charge us not just $40, but $500 MORE FOR LABOR, for something we didn't even need. Greedy bastards.

Everything seems to be working fine now. Apparently it was just a little gas that escaped while getting the pilot light lit. There's a flashing blue light on it, which apparently means "normal operation."

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

How should I know any of that? I'm not a fucking plumber! There's nothing electric, it's a gas water heater.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, originally Lowes was going to do it, for a reasonable labor charge. Then they said that our county requires a thermal expansion tank, so we're all ok, no prob, it was only another $40-- but they were going ADD $500 MORE TO THE LABOR! So we said fuck you very much, we'd like our money back, and do the installation ourselves. So we bought the thermal expansion tank when we bought the water heater. When he started looking at all the different pipes and valves and whatnots, he realized that we do NOT need a thermal expansion tank, we have a backflow preventer already in-line, and any thermal expansion backflow is piped out the drain line. So they were going to charge us not just $40, but $500 MORE FOR LABOR, for something we didn't even need. Greedy bastards.

Everything seems to be working fine now. Apparently it was just a little gas that escaped while getting the pilot light lit. There's a flashing blue light on it, which apparently means "normal operation."

Andria
You are correct, an expansion tank is NOT necessary.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria

I kinda feel bad for HD, Lowe's, Menards, etc. It isn't THEIR installers, it is contractors who have gone through the "approval" process with them. Who then proceed to screw over every homeowner they can, and give the box stores a bad name. Now my lil hardware store that sells plumbing stuff, THOSE guys will talk you through the whole job on the phone if you like. I LOVE that place. Still, plumbing is NOT my forte in life.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
oh my, you have me laughing Andria.....:giggle:

I like that comedian side of you.....:vino:

Heh... well I've only said that same thing about a thousand times today... my husband bitching griping etc etc etc, and me here at the computer, half dead with pure fatigue, going "I dunno, I dunno anything about plumbing... handle it, Roy!" Till I finally HOLLERED "DON'T ASK ME, I'M NOT A FUCKING PLUMBER! USE THE FUCKING PIPE DOPE!" Which, incidentally, worked. :D

When he said he finally got it to stop leaking, I said "good, tomorrow you can fix the leak on my new atty." He thought that was amusing. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
fucked up threads or the ONE bad o-ring.....unbelievable....I'd be pissed off too....!!!

Yeah... if I can't get it to stop leaking, I'm considering possibly using one of my old bases with the new tank and cap -- the new tank and cap are shorter, so it's lower profile, and I know the threads and o-rings on the old bases work fine. It'll take some fiddling, but I really need to be rested to troubleshoot vape gear or web pages. :D

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Heh... well I've only said that same thing about a thousand times today... my husband bitching griping etc etc etc, and me here at the computer, half dead with pure fatigue, going "I dunno, I dunno anything about plumbing... handle it, Roy!" Till I finally HOLLERED "DON'T ASK ME, I'M NOT A FUCKING PLUMBER! USE THE FUCKING PIPE DOPE!" Which, incidentally, worked. :D

When he said he finally got it to stop leaking, I said "good, tomorrow you can fix the leak on my new atty." He thought that was amusing. :D

Andria
...............................:):D:):D:):D.................:hearts:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It's not leaking from the 510. It's leaking from the bottom threads where the tank threads onto the base. The part that's circled:

View attachment 52540

Andria

It'll happen. This was a long-dreamed-off hard earned, well planned for big time purchase. I won't blame you if you did cry lol

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah... if I can't get it to stop leaking, I'm considering possibly using one of my old bases with the new tank and cap -- the new tank and cap are shorter, so it's lower profile, and I know the threads and o-rings on the old bases work fine. It'll take some fiddling, but I really need to be rested to troubleshoot vape gear or web pages. :D

Andria
Oh I hear ya....but damn you had me laughing.....:)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The temperature pressure relief valve is thee most important piece of a water heater.

That pipe can only run downward, to the exterior, or to within 6 inches of the floor.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I kinda feel bad for HD, Lowe's, Menards, etc. It isn't THEIR installers, it is contractors who have gone through the "approval" process with them. Who then proceed to screw over every homeowner they can, and give the box stores a bad name. Now my lil hardware store that sells plumbing stuff, THOSE guys will talk you through the whole job on the phone if you like. I LOVE that place. Still, plumbing is NOT my forte in life.
Don't EVER feel bad for home depot. Trust me on that. I could share some stories on that place. But I would highly recommend you spend your money elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jimbodaddy74

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So, here's the star of 3/4 of today's angst (the Achilles was the other 1/4 of course), disrupter of threads for over a year!

View attachment 52541

;)
Andria
I've seen a lot worse. And I've installed literally hundreds of water heaters. By my estimation, in the time I've been an installer of heating equipment (water heaters are often used as heat sources for radiant systems), I've been in roughly 2500 homes in my area. And I've seen some crazy shit.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
LOL - just chatted with one of the reps at ecig.com and they are getting them in also - he seemed really psyched about getting his hands on one - especially after i waxed a bit poetic about it's spiffiness :)

mind you, this was AFTER the fucker helped me make a terrible decision and further terrorize the vape budget... but vt133 (with dna 200 chipset) and a pair of sammy 25r's for $78 shipped... FUCKERS! THEY MADE ME!

goddamn. i have spent too much time around Hank.
Brilliant! I always blame people on the forum for my spending decision, I never thought of blaming the vendor. Next time I'll try that! "But honey, the guy at MFS said I absolutely needed 20 gallons of nic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors