Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
nice box, Hank! (I know, you hear that a lot...)
I picked one up a little bit back that is switchable (for the vapeocalypse stash) - can do parallel or series and came with a little buddy (dual parallel 18350 box thrown in for free as a promo)
View attachment 53084
I'm intrigued. Hadn't run across any switchable mods, though I hadn't really been looking at box mechs so not surprising I didn't know they existed. What did you get? And where might I find such a thing?

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just had a customer email me for advice about them. For some reason. We don't sell them, and to me that sounds downright dangerous to combine a TC only metal with a non tc metal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Yeah, For the Kanthal to form the Al2O3 layer it needs to be heated to ~1450*F for a few seconds. You'd need to do this to insulate the Ni from the Kanthal. Ni does not like to get that hot. Now any off-gassing would happen during the initial burn so not really a problem in use but still a tricky combination of materials to get to work properly.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yeah, For the Kanthal to form the Al2O3 layer it needs to be heated to ~1450*F for a few seconds. You'd need to do this to insulate the Ni from the Kanthal. Ni does not like to get that hot. Now any off-gassing would happen during the initial burn so not really a problem in use but still a tricky combination of materials to get to work properly.
It's marketed as "only for temp control" but has a kanthal core...idk, to me that seems ridiculously dangerous.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So....has anyone else heard of this coils called thunderhead that are kanthal cores and ni200 wraps into a clapton? Am I missing something or is that a HORRIBLE idea?!?!

TOTALLY agree. I've seen the same thing. Ti wrapped too, I think. WTH?!? Clearly a case of well, they like this and they like that, so...

CLUELESS on the issues, properties, strengths and weaknesses of ALL of em.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How ya doin Mo....done traveling?
Just getting started unfortunately. Back to Michigan on Friday night, then back to Iowa by midweek. 2 of the 4 things I expected to see get done will actually BE done. Alright though, going to ride my bike back, and it's a nice trip on a scoot. My Bestie/Biz Partner has it MUCH more grueling. He has to go back to Michigan, then go to Florida to collect HIS bike, then back to Iowa.

On the plus side, I'll get to set up a few more sales calls. I like the volume of work we have, but the guys need a lil more, to keep it together. A happy crew is a happy customer and vice versa. :) I hope you aren't wilting in that outrageous heat!

doc_iguana

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm intrigued. Hadn't run across any switchable mods, though I hadn't really been looking at box mechs so not surprising I didn't know they existed. What did you get? And where might I find such a thing?
I picked mine up from SWS Box Mods - nice guy, does pretty solid work - his website seems to be acting wonky, so I took a spin by his FB page and he looks to be doing some really spiffy stabilized wood boxes now (single and dual 18650)

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I picked mine up from SWS Box Mods - nice guy, does pretty solid work - his website seems to be acting wonky, so I took a spin by his FB page and he looks to be doing some really spiffy stabilized wood boxes now (single and dual 18650)

I'm beginning to wonder if you and Spanky are in some kind of competition for our vape dollars...
maxresdefault.jpg

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't said much this evening, so I just thought I'd throw this in.... listening to my blues playlist while I did the dishes and this one came on... truly great. :)

Andria

NICE! On the cusp, agewise, of remembering the Allman Bros., but it sounds like a soulful SRV tune...

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
NICE! On the cusp, agewise, of remembering the Allman Bros., but it sounds like a soulful SRV tune...

I was 13 or 14 when that album came out (Brothers and Sisters). It actually took me quite a while to really LOVE them, but along with their blues, they have a bit of a jazz feel, and jazz has never been one of my most-faves; it's really too sophisticated a sound for most young people, but I've warmed up to it just slightly, just a little... the Allmans... Steely Dan... Traffic... But Brothers and Sisters is a little more accessible than a lot of their other work; more pure blues.

This one is my favorite from Brothers and Sisters... actually, maybe my fave of ALL their work:

Just love that blues boogie... :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors