Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
AC 1000W running 2000W startup
TV 200-400W
PlayStation 150W

That's ~ 1400W running. Startup ~2400W

If it's a modern 15A circuit it go pop. If it's an old screw type fuse you risk outlet failure

If it's new outlets and wire on a 20A /2200W run it's still close. I wouldn't risk it in a old house. Especially if the outlets are daisy chained from room to room.
We basically cannot say whether it's safe or unsafe without seeing the entire package...I shouldn't have said it's fine without being there. Nobody can say whether it's actually safe or unsafe. If a breaker or fuse didn't trip, that would be a problem, regardless of how many watt-amps it draws. For all we know, there might be a 10 amp edison fuse protecting the 15 amp circuit.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The ps4 wouldn't be used when the ac is running most likely. It'd be the TV, a light, and the ac 99% of the time. Unfortunately a window unit isn't an option here. This is also the only electricity being used on this entire floor of the house. There has been six fans in there before, and from what I can tell those draw as much or more than the ac when all at max speed together. Is there any indicators we can count on before were talking about starting a fire? Like dimming lights during the compressor starting up, etc..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Feel the cord, if it's warm, don't use it.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, we haven't exactly gotten along during the past 15 years, so it was pretty awkward. We couldn't possibly be any different and somehow were related
Yea, it's the same with my sister. The reason I'm glad to be back here is because of her. The last day I was there, she just started drinking and then screaming at me. She took pictures of my vape stuff and I asked her why. She replied that she was doing a "study" on humans with problems. This is the same person that quit smoking and vaping helped her. But, no, because it's ME now and I'm still vaping, I'm not "good" enough anymore. It was horrible. We had finally started getting along and everything was going pretty good, until that last evening I was there. :(

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
We basically cannot say whether it's safe or unsafe without seeing the entire package...I shouldn't have said it's fine without being there. Nobody can say whether it's actually safe or unsafe. If a breaker or fuse didn't trip, that would be a problem, regardless of how many watt-amps it draws. For all we know, there might be a 10 amp edison fuse protecting the 15 amp circuit.
Yeah. This is my problem. This isn't my house so rooting through their electrical setup isn't really an option. It's basically a "let's try" situation. But I wanted to be as safe as possible.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
People screw up, its a fact of life but I am impressed with how they handled it and am curious of who the company is. This is exactly what they was aiming for. They knew you was mad but now with their great customer service your not going to go online and plaster all over every vape forums how they suck. Instead your gonna share how they did fuck up but went over and beyond in trying to make up for it.
IMHO that is the kind of vape store I want to do business with. They know customer satisfaction will make or break them and from where I am sitting, thats the best kind of store there is. They actually care if your happy with your order.
Hey cd. Sorry about all your medical woes. :( That stinks.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yea, it's the same with my sister. The reason I'm glad to be back here is because of her. The last day I was there, she just started drinking and then screaming at me. She took pictures of my vape stuff and I asked her why. She replied that she was doing a "study" on humans with problems. This is the same person that quit smoking and vaping helped her. But, no, because it's ME now and I'm still vaping, I'm not "good" enough anymore. It was horrible. We had finally started getting along and everything was going pretty good, until that last evening I was there. :(
The drinking will cause more harm than good in any situation....sorry you had problems, Atcha.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The drinking will cause more harm than good in any situation....sorry you had problems, Atcha.
Tell me about it. I like my wine but I'm a happy silly giggly drinker. Anyway, the next time I go to Louisiana I'll be staying at my Uncle Buddy's house. I'll always love Louisiana and may still move there someday, but now I'm not so sure.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
But, it's a fairly safe bet that somewhere along the line it will trip a breaker rather than spontaneously burst into flames? This is what I'm hoping for.

Hopefully it trips a breaker. Personally, I would turn the unit on, let it run awhile, feel the cord and outlet, if they are warm to the touch, unplug it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tell me about it. I like my wine but I'm a happy silly giggly drinker. Anyway, the next time I go to Louisiana I'll be staying at my Uncle Buddy's house. I'll always love Louisiana and may still move there someday, but now I'm not so sure.
Hope you had a good time, until the downhill-drinking began......:)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The fact that they exhaust interior air is a real problem. If they had a separate air hose to draw outside air to feed the evaporator coil it wouldn't be causing outside air to be drawn into the house through the cracks and they would work much better.

some of them do have 2 tubes one in and one out for the condenser.
Mess up the tubes and you are down to getting parts for something made overseas. Luck with that.

But just WHY? Much easier to just stick in a 5500 btu or so window unit.

And some tend to piddle condensation in the floor and or require dumping a condensate tray periodically.

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But, it's a fairly safe bet that somewhere along the line it will trip a breaker rather than spontaneously burst into flames? This is what I'm hoping for.

In an old house the point of failure is most often one of the outlets in the circuit. Not necessarily the one that the load is plugged into as they are daisy chained together. Each outlet in rhe circuit adds a point of resistance, the outlet with the highest resistance (corroded wire etc) will generally melt and if not noticed catch fire eventually.

Without seeing it I have to say it's not a good idea.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
some of them do have 2 tubes one in and one out for the condenser.
Mess up the tubes and you are down to getting parts for something made overseas. Luck with that.

But just WHY? Much easier to just stick in a 5500 btu or so window unit.

And some tend to piddle condensation in the floor and or require dumping a condensate tray periodically.
Indeed....they were originally designed for shops-garages, etc...not residential homes. Once the chinese found they may have a new market, the portable house A/C came to fruition.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In an old house the point of failure is most often one of the outlets in the circuit. Not necessarily the one that the load is plugged into as they are daisy chained together. Each outlet in rhe circuit adds a point of resistance, the outlet with the highest resistance (corroded wire etc) will generally melt and if not noticed catch fire eventually.

Without seeing it I have to say it's not a good idea.
If it is un-upgraded 40's wiring it is likely 14ga and ungrounded outlets.

They really did not have many higher current plug in devices back then.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Indeed....they were originally designed for shops-garages, etc...not residential homes. Once the chinese found they may have a new market, the portable house A/C came to fruition.
I used to work at Lowes and we got lots of those 'portable" AC units returned saying they did not cool the room.
People though you could just sit them anywhere and they would magically cool the room.
they have to blow the heat out a special window adapter thingy.
A few actually also suck in outside air to blow back out.

And as Boden mentioned if you are blowing inside air out a window you are sucking in warm moist air somewhere else.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to work at Lowes and we got lots of those 'portable" AC units returned saying they did not cool the room.
People though you could just sit them anywhere and they would magically cool the room.
they have to blow the heat out a special window adapter thingy.
A few actually also suck in outside air to blow back out.

And as Boden mentioned if you are blowing inside air out a window you are sucking in warm moist air somewhere else.
Xackly.....window units are the gig.....!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hoover Vacuum cleaner?......:cry:.. the oldies........:fyi:.....were about the size of a small block chevy.....:giggle:
Amazingly though their motors were very low amp draw compared to todays vacuums.
I have a 40's vintage window exhaust fan. and that sucker still works and will move lots of air.
Yet it draws no more current than a cheap 20 inch box fan.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Crawdads is not great food :rolleyes:
Down here thems fighting words mister!

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No a duel we each have a bucket of live crawdads and throw them at each other till one moves from his spot. No helmets, or other protective gear allowed.

who will bring the keg? 1/2 of it to be drunk before the duel and 1/2 after.
Now that does sound fun. I'll be there for sure, as long as the keg doesn't contain PBR.:D
As chopdoc says, Lay say le bon tom roo lay

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I would have taken pics of her when she was shitfaced, and then shown them to her, asking if she really wanted pics of humans with problems. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Amazingly though their motors were very low amp draw compared to todays vacuums.
I have a 40's vintage window exhaust fan. and that sucker still works and will move lots of air.
Yet it draws no more current than a cheap 20 inch box fan.

I bought my current vacuum precisely because it's very lightweight -- 12 lbs -- but also very powerful -- 12 amps. That sucker is LOUD with that lightweight plastic housing! but I can pick it up with one hand, maneuver it very easily, so I put up with the noise.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm going to have to agree with Lord Cromwell. Crawdads are not food. Besides, why would anyone waste their time boiling tiny wannabe lobsters anyway? Ain't got enough meat on 'em to be worthwhile.

Zactly how I feel about chicken wings. Why bother??? I want a big ol chicken breast!

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Went nuts at nude nicotine, hopefully for the last time, 2000 mls of 100%....beleive that makes the stash close to three gallons.

Hate wondering what may happen if the regs are not changed. Perhaps it will become a rare commodity in this fucked up country.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No a duel we each have a bucket of live crawdads and throw them at each other till one moves from his spot. No helmets, or other protective gear allowed.

who will bring the keg? 1/2 of it to be drunk before the duel and 1/2 after.

Or we can boil them, eat them, wash them down with the keg of beer and have a grand ol time lol

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nope, fresh Maine Lobster tail smothered in butter is like heaven. And there's something satisfying about the screams they make when you drop 'em in the boiling water. Or maybe I just have a slight sadistic streak.

I never pass up lobster but your talking apples and oranges here. If you ever been to a crawfish boil ya would know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors