Not open for further replies.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I hear AK is nice this time of year, sunshine, fishing, camping, wings and teeth bugs....:)

Pretty much - plus lots of rain, tourist, and road construction.

And that is a deer my dear, or so says the words that pop up when you hover over the icon before clicking on it <3

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Anybody know what the reindeer or mule is hoppin about?.....:tldr:

Cute lil bastard though.....:popcorn:

i have seen a few people ask about the deer.

in the old days (lol), if you made a lengthy post about something on certain forums, people would often reply that it was 'too long, didnt read' and ask for a summary. eventually, people making long posts would start or finish with a tl:dr version that summarized the wall of text for people with small attention spans. the abbreviation tl:dr i guess (d)evolved into a teal deer, and now we have an emote for it. internet magic. heres an example of its use. since my long winded explanation really only requires a couple sentences i can tl:dr it below and you can choose to read that, instead of my witty and verbose wall of text, and get the point of what i am talking about.

tl:dr version - its an old meme people used to imply they didnt want to read your long posts, that people who make long posts also use to summarize them at the end like this. :cheers:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

in the old days (lol), if you made a lengthy post about something on certain forums, people would often reply that it was 'too long, didnt read' and ask for a summary. eventually, people making long posts would start or finish with a tl:dr version that summarized the wall of text for people with small attention spans. the abbreviation tl:dr i guess (d)evolved into a teal deer, and now we have an emote for it. internet magic. heres an example of its use. since my long winded explanation really only requires a couple sentences i can tl:dr it below and you can choose to read that, instead of my witty and verbose wall of text, and get the point of what i am talking about.

tl:dr version - its an old meme people used to imply they didnt want to read your long posts, that people who make long posts also use to summarize them at the end like this. :cheers:
lol machine....:vino:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Well you learn something every day.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Or even, Hour Money, maybe suggest an Hour of labor in any form equals say $20 USD flat rate.

Since when does being able to say "want fries with that" become worth $20/hr? What those on the "give us more" band wagon fail to understand is demanding more only cuts your own throat. Lets raise the minimum wage to $15 or $20 an hour and now that happy meal that was $5 all of a sudden cost $15 or more and are not selling, and businesses are closing their doors because they simply cant afford to stay in business because raising the minimum wage causes everything else to sky rocket.
Those on the "give me more" band wagon have failed to understand a simple thing that many of us who been in the workforce for many years understand well. If you want more then you must make yourself more valuable. That takes hard work, dedication, sacrifice. Something commonly known as paying your dues.
Everyone is able to have the American dream but it takes hard work to earn it. No one owes it to you.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
the higher number is a smaller wire. they are always on the outside. the inside can be one or more wires (round or flat or both). its hard to imagine a 24/28 clapton. usually the outer smaller wire is a few sizes smaller than the inner one (like 28/36). the larger the outer wrap, the longer it takes to heat up, so people usually prefer to keep the outer wire at about 34g or smaller, though a lot of premade wire comes with 32g wrap...

most 'low resistance' or hybrid wire is a mix of kanthal and n80 and sometimes ss or other stuff.

to determine the resistance of multiple cores you can check out wire wizard at the steam engine site. theres a drop down box where you can select clapton wire, which produces another set of boxes to choose your core and wrap wires. the core wire section has a drop down box where you can select parallel, twisted etc cores. for regular fused claptons just pick parallel cores and set the size to figure out what the 2x28/32 claptons come to. you can also just figure out what the resistance of one 28g wire would be, then divide by the number of cores to find the single coil resistance (if you are running dual coils, then divide the result by two again to find your final build resistance).

there are no dumb questions.
Thanks! I'm still mostly building simple coils, and while I was quite pleased to receive a bunch of wire to play with (especially since it was free) I was really not sure what to do with the stuff. I suspect I may not like some of this low gage wire, but I fully intend to play with it before deciding. Just have to figure out what kind of builds some of these are best suited for. Play time this weekend.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks! I'm still mostly building simple coils, and while I was quite pleased to receive a bunch of wire to play with (especially since it was free) I was really not sure what to do with the stuff. I suspect I may not like some of this low gage wire, but I fully intend to play with it before deciding. Just have to figure out what kind of builds some of these are best suited for. Play time this weekend.
the post your builds thread is a great place for learning. lots of people in there posting their first builds along side the guys posting impossible pro stuff and lots of good advice for every level. have a good weekend building :cheers:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since when does being able to say "want fries with that" become worth $20/hr? What those on the "give us more" band wagon fail to understand is demanding more only cuts your own throat. Lets raise the minimum wage to $15 or $20 an hour and now that happy meal that was $5 all of a sudden cost $15 or more and are not selling, and businesses are closing their doors because they simply cant afford to stay in business because raising the minimum wage causes everything else to sky rocket.
Those on the "give me more" band wagon have failed to understand a simple thing that many of us who been in the workforce for many years understand well. If you want more then you must make yourself more valuable. That takes hard work, dedication, sacrifice. Something commonly known as paying your dues.
Everyone is able to have the American dream but it takes hard work to earn it. No one owes it to you.

Here is where I am on a fence. Grew up being taught the way of the mule. "You go out and be a man, break your back hauling 16 ton a day. You pay your way each minute, always working." I comprehend that full well. I genuinely do and do not disagree that a person needs to provide value to themselves and others.

At the same instant I also comprehend and accept that our universe provides all for us all. The Earth follows suit, it provides all for us all. If you follow Christianity, the general teaching is God loves all equally and none are denied a thing. In other words no one has any true or valid obligation to provide any value to anyone except themselves perhaps. I genuinely comprehend that as well.

That fence for me comes in realizing the two arguments are equally valid. They seem exclusive of one another. Not everything is as it seems though. Ergo, I find myself lost between the two arguments. No one is any less deserving of anything, nor any more deserving of anything. You can say I'm wrong of course and I figure you will. Fine, that's for your train of thought & I'll respect that. I'm not going to say you're correct or in error. What the hell would I know, anyway? :) I am not here to judge, nor compare to others, be defined by others, or compare, define others.

Ultimately I have to side with love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom. I think with these as supplies and a pinch of critical thought for solving problems we could all find ourselves in a better world to share. Yet, it boils to lack of will from where I sit. No one seems to desire better. There would be some effort if they did. And yes, I do see some effort. It is gradual, it's sluggish as hell. We are though getting to a better set of worlds and world, I think. These larger issues though still are not being focused on. I comprehend why though.

"Let us move one pebble of rubble to the pile at a time. Little by little we add up a big heap." It is tried and true axiom, it works. I get frustrated with the blinding slowness of it. I look over and see the bulldozer with a scoop setting there and wonder why we simply don't use it instead of carrying a pebble at a time over. Yes, I am looking for peace. I'm looking for the Utopia to be created, the becoming. You and others are keen to call me naive, foolish, idealistic, stupid even. Do you really stop and consider though simply having differing thoughts is that only? Differing thoughts, often they forge greater concepts like putting man on the moon, they also help create our world as a whole and not some exclusive idea.

Excuse me, I'll stay on my fence.

Not debating you. No desire to attempt altering your view. All I desire is pointing out that heretic was a Greek word meaning that a person held a differing opinion or way of thinking. All ways hold validity because "the way up is the way down", it's all the same path and we're all on the journey together, like it or not.

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The focus on paradise allows the government to infringe on basic democratic rights – “just give up your rights and paradise will be just around the corner”.
.........John Gustavsson

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

This is close to my view of economics. In fact, before I got older and mellowed, AND I learned that charity is sorely needed sometimes, and truly appreciated sometimes as well, as well as good for the soul, I was an outright objectivist. I haven't strayed TOO far, but I DO believe that Corporate Greed can be evil and that lifting your people as high as you can has many returns, some of which ARE financial.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is close to my view of economics. In fact, before I got older and mellowed, AND I learned that charity is sorely needed sometimes, and truly appreciated sometimes as well, as well as good for the soul, I was an outright objectivist. I haven't strayed TOO far, but I DO believe that Corporate Greed can be evil and that lifting your people as high as you can has many returns, some of which ARE financial.
I agree with it too.
GM all!
Hey Moo, I've been meaning to tell you that you have a way with words. You're a talented writer. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The focus on paradise allows the government to infringe on basic democratic rights – “just give up your rights and paradise will be just around the corner”.
.........John Gustavsson

Well, I'll be inclined to disagree with that a bit & agree with it a bit. Sorry, I cannot conclude to be either, or the other. * chuckles * I see both sides of the argument and a third one. Can agree it is very fine and thin path to carve out for oneself, not without stumbling stones, or stepping stones. Perhaps, I am here to take up the neutralist position.

What I know is, ...

It was love ultimately which created me. I'm here to try doing what needs done. I'm here to try love without condition. I'm here to be loved without condition. I'm here to try being love.

I also know the above may sound all fine and dandy, be accused of greeting card or simplistic, childish logic. Fine, if that is what somebody desires seeing it as being, they're welcome to that. I know for myself that it is not any of that negative intent. I can live with it. It seems others don't want to live with it. Well, they can live as they want. I'm not saying they need, or are obligated to live as I do. Simply put, this is what living is for me and it seems to work. I'll keep on keeping on, hope we all do the same. :)

No, not trying to be an asshole here and continue harping. I'm merely expressing things a bit more clearly in hope of respecting others, myself. I mean look, not holding a gun to anyone's heads. I'm just typing words. People can read these words or not. :) If people want my respect, they will give respect in kind. I do much the same, or at least try to do so. It's why I tell everyone, GFY! Everyone needs loving, even if only self loving.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm here to try love without condition. I'm here to be loved without condition. I'm here to try being loved.
You have a very big heart. There's no way I'll ever think you're an ass.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
lol, omg I'm a sucker for flattery, and you are a professional. ;)
and thank you for your generous words.. :)
You really are very talented. Not just saying that. :)

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Geezers. I've got 6 more hours to work. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Need coffee................need, want more coffee..........................................................
upload_2016-6-24_10-23-56.png

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Now to get Scotland independent of the U.K.. I apologize if the idealistic and egalitarian views I have seem to be collectivism. They may well be. They are not though collectivism in the manner of globalism. I strongly feel local-ism, even to the point of isolationism, or protectionism suits better. Even then, I am not referring to jingoistic endeavors that foster xenophobia. Yes, be aware other nations, localities exist. Yes, trade with others. Yes, aid others. Yes, seek aid from others. But, let us all keep our own porches clean first, let charity begin in the home.

Hate to do it but let me unleash an ear worm.

Apparently in this #Brexit debacle, Scotland is in favor of 'Remain' -- and now England is wondering if they can divorce themselves from Scotland. I swear, Longshanks is rolling in his grave, and William Wallace is laughing in his! It's hilarious!

Obviously I don't have any stake in it either way, not being a Brit, but I find myself in favor of "Leave"; it just sorta offends me for fascists in Belgium to dictate to Britain. It also smacks too much of a "4th Reich" considering Germany's leading position in the EU, and is also somewhat reminiscent of the USSR. The EU is offensive on so many levels.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here is where I am on a fence. Grew up being taught the way of the mule. "You go out and be a man, break your back hauling 16 ton a day. You pay your way each minute, always working." I comprehend that full well. I genuinely do and do not disagree that a person needs to provide value to themselves and others.

At the same instant I also comprehend and accept that our universe provides all for us all. The Earth follows suit, it provides all for us all. If you follow Christianity, the general teaching is God loves all equally and none are denied a thing. In other words no one has any true or valid obligation to provide any value to anyone except themselves perhaps. I genuinely comprehend that as well.

We are in agreement for the most part morely. I too agree that everything is provided for you, especially in this land of opportunity. It is there for the taking, you just have to get up, go out and get it. It is really that simple. The problem is, when did it become my place and the place of everyone else who did get up and achieve it to now have to share what we got with those who didnt feel like getting up and even trying? I and many like me are more than happy to help anyone who really needs that help but there is one catch. They have to be trying to help themselves too.

That fence for me comes in realizing the two arguments are equally valid. They seem exclusive of one another. Not everything is as it seems though. Ergo, I find myself lost between the two arguments. No one is any less deserving of anything, nor any more deserving of anything. You can say I'm wrong of course and I figure you will. Fine, that's for your train of thought & I'll respect that. I'm not going to say you're correct or in error. What the hell would I know, anyway? :) I am not here to judge, nor compare to others, be defined by others, or compare, define others.

How about we look at it like this. On one hand you have a person who really tried but due to bad luck or hard times or circumstances beyond there control just cant get ahead. Then on the other hand you have the person who never really tried, the wasted their years drinking and drugging, being a leech on their parents and society. Your in a position to help both, do you?
Lets take it a step farther. You did help both. The one who really tried was able to succeed with your help and get ahead to the point they thanked you and said they got it from here. The other one took what you gave them and bought more drink and more drug and now wants more from you. What do you do now.

Its not a matter of judging nor comparing. Its about using common sense. many of us are more than happy to lend a hand to those in need. Yet when did it become a point when we must support those who refuse to try?

Ultimately I have to side with love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom. I think with these as supplies and a pinch of critical thought for solving problems we could all find ourselves in a better world to share. Yet, it boils to lack of will from where I sit. No one seems to desire better. There would be some effort if they did. And yes, I do see some effort. It is gradual, it's sluggish as hell. We are though getting to a better set of worlds and world, I think. These larger issues though still are not being focused on. I comprehend why though.

"Let us move one pebble of rubble to the pile at a time. Little by little we add up a big heap." It is tried and true axiom, it works. I get frustrated with the blinding slowness of it. I look over and see the bulldozer with a scoop setting there and wonder why we simply don't use it instead of carrying a pebble at a time over. Yes, I am looking for peace. I'm looking for the Utopia to be created, the becoming. You and others are keen to call me naive, foolish, idealistic, stupid even. Do you really stop and consider though simply having differing thoughts is that only? Differing thoughts, often they forge greater concepts like putting man on the moon, they also help create our world as a whole and not some exclusive idea.

We are still in agreement for the most part. Wishing for love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom is an honorable goal. But what about the guy who doesnt wish for that? Say you have a person who beats his wife and kids constantly and no matter what you say or do, it doesnt stop. He also refuses to work or support his family and thinks it is your place to do that because you have more than you deserve in his opinion, even tho you worked hard for what you have. I know that is an extreme example but we both know there are people out there like that. How can any of us have a better world with them in our world. So now what do you do. Do you shun him and refuse to help him anymore? If you do that then what about his wife, his kids? How is he any less deserving than one who refused to help themselves? One who had potential but squandered it? As much as any of us wish for love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom, there is also reality that must be dealt with.

Excuse me, I'll stay on my fence.

Not debating you. No desire to attempt altering your view. All I desire is pointing out that heretic was a Greek word meaning that a person held a differing opinion or way of thinking. All ways hold validity because "the way up is the way down", it's all the same path and we're all on the journey together, like it or not.

This was never a debate, it is a discussion because for the most part we agree. We both feel some need our help and it is our place to help them. The discussion is more about who deserves our help and where the line should be drawn for it. I draw the line at believing we should raise the minimum wage for i believe a person who gets a job and works hard wont stay at minimum wage for long for they are proving their value. You think it should be blanketed across the board which I am against for I see how it will harm far more than it will do good. If you raised an unskilled worker who flips burgers from $16K/yr to over $40K/yr then the market is going to correct itself and now that hamburger that use to cost $5/lb now cost $15/lb. In the end the unskilled worker will still have the same buying power that they had at the old minimum wage but the rest of us are in far worse shape because of it for we too must pay the price. So now we start cutting out things like fast food for face it, who wants to pay $15 for a happy meal. Now that fast food place cant stay in business and shuts its doors and that burger flipper is out of a job. See the slippery slope we are attempting to climb? That is the reality that must be dealt with.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
We are in agreement for the most part morely. I too agree that everything is provided for you, especially in this land of opportunity. It is there for the taking, you just have to get up, go out and get it. It is really that simple. The problem is, when did it become my place and the place of everyone else who did get up and achieve it to now have to share what we got with those who didnt feel like getting up and even trying? I and many like me are more than happy to help anyone who really needs that help but there is one catch. They have to be trying to help themselves too.

How about we look at it like this. On one hand you have a person who really tried but due to bad luck or hard times or circumstances beyond there control just cant get ahead. Then on the other hand you have the person who never really tried, the wasted their years drinking and drugging, being a leech on their parents and society. Your in a position to help both, do you?
Lets take it a step farther. You did help both. The one who really tried was able to succeed with your help and get ahead to the point they thanked you and said they got it from here. The other one took what you gave them and bought more drink and more drug and now wants more from you. What do you do now.

Its not a matter of judging nor comparing. Its about using common sense. many of us are more than happy to lend a hand to those in need. Yet when did it become a point when we must support those who refuse to try?

We are still in agreement for the most part. Wishing for love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom is an honorable goal. But what about the guy who doesnt wish for that? Say you have a person who beats his wife and kids constantly and no matter what you say or do, it doesnt stop. He also refuses to work or support his family and thinks it is your place to do that because you have more than you deserve in his opinion, even tho you worked hard for what you have. I know that is an extreme example but we both know there are people out there like that. How can any of us have a better world with them in our world. So now what do you do. Do you shun him and refuse to help him anymore? If you do that then what about his wife, his kids? How is he any less deserving than one who refused to help themselves? One who had potential but squandered it? As much as any of us wish for love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom, there is also reality that must be dealt with.

This was never a debate, it is a discussion because for the most part we agree. We both feel some need our help and it is our place to help them. The discussion is more about who deserves our help and where the line should be drawn for it. I draw the line at believing we should raise the minimum wage for i believe a person who gets a job and works hard wont stay at minimum wage for long for they are proving their value. You think it should be blanketed across the board which I am against for I see how it will harm far more than it will do good. If you raised an unskilled worker who flips burgers from $16K/yr to over $40K/yr then the market is going to correct itself and now that hamburger that use to cost $5/lb now cost $15/lb. In the end the unskilled worker will still have the same buying power that they had at the old minimum wage but the rest of us are in far worse shape because of it for we too must pay the price. So now we start cutting out things like fast food for face it, who wants to pay $15 for a happy meal. Now that fast food place cant stay in business and shuts its doors and that burger flipper is out of a job. See the slippery slope we are attempting to climb? That is the reality that must be dealt with.
:tldr:

And with that GFY Doc and Morley

The rest of you Fugees too

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I'll be inclined to disagree with that a bit & agree with it a bit. Sorry, I cannot conclude to be either, or the other. * chuckles * I see both sides of the argument and a third one. Can agree it is very fine and thin path to carve out for oneself, not without stumbling stones, or stepping stones. Perhaps, I am here to take up the neutralist position.

What I know is, ...

It was love ultimately which created me. I'm here to try doing what needs done. I'm here to try love without condition. I'm here to be loved without condition. I'm here to try being love.

I also know the above may sound all fine and dandy, be accused of greeting card or simplistic, childish logic. Fine, if that is what somebody desires seeing it as being, they're welcome to that. I know for myself that it is not any of that negative intent. I can live with it. It seems others don't want to live with it. Well, they can live as they want. I'm not saying they need, or are obligated to live as I do. Simply put, this is what living is for me and it seems to work. I'll keep on keeping on, hope we all do the same. :)

No, not trying to be an asshole here and continue harping. I'm merely expressing things a bit more clearly in hope of respecting others, myself. I mean look, not holding a gun to anyone's heads. I'm just typing words. People can read these words or not. :) If people want my respect, they will give respect in kind. I do much the same, or at least try to do so. It's why I tell everyone, GFY! Everyone needs loving, even if only self loving.

Well said :D

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The Prodigal Son story from the bible?

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Woke up earlier and had a wicked thought. Go see the doc for those chest pains I had, and I had a few since then I didnt tell anyone about. I took my BP earlier and it was wacked, 169/133 with 123 heart rate.

I hope he doesnt try to put me in the hospital today :(

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

When I got to ECF in 2014, I had no earthly idea what "tl;dr" meant, I'd never seen it before. Nor have I ever found anything too long to read -- reading is not exactly digging ditches; all the effort required is movement of the eyes, and I learned to read almost 40 yrs ago, and haven't forgotten how. Consequently, I've never posted a "tl;dr," nor will I ever, no matter the length of my posts. If reading is really that big an effort for someone, may I suggest that an internet forum is really not the best place for them. Perhaps a bar or a sporting event would suit them better. Or a couch in front of a television. Really tired of everything being dumbed down. :mad:

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Woke up earlier and had a wicked thought. Go see the doc for those chest pains I had, and I had a few since then I didnt tell anyone about. I took my BP earlier and it was wacked, 169/133 with 123 heart rate.

I hope he doesnt try to put me in the hospital today :(

Doc - Doc - Doc

Maybe you should skip the GFY part and get well Mister :blowkiss:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I dont know where my manners are. Yall probably think I live in a barn or sumptin....... wait, I do live in a barn. :)

Anyways
gfy.jpg

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Yup.
It seems to me...the thing about raising minimum wages is, it's nothing but an illusion. You tell yourself "hey, I'm making $15 an hour! Last week I was making 9 an hour! I'm doing better!"

But that neglects the truth that companies around the country are not just going to take the hit in profit and do nothing, and say "shucks, we gotta pay our workers more"

No, the minimum wage goes up, and the cost of living creeps up. Milk costs more, food costs more, everything slowly creeps it's way up to accommodate the new wage and maintain companies' profit levels at what they were at pre-wage increase.

So...if you have to spend more money to survive, then it really isn't a wage increase, is it?

Just my thoughts.

It's a difficult situation because the truth is there's tons of people that deserve to be paid more for the work they do (me and EVERYONE I worked with at my old job except managers of course, were in this boat) but, raising the minimum wage doesn't really do this in my opinion..

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors