ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Woke up earlier and had a wicked thought. Go see the doc for those chest pains I had, and I had a few since then I didnt tell anyone about. I took my BP earlier and it was wacked, 169/133 with 123 heart rate.

I hope he doesnt try to put me in the hospital today :(
WHAT!!!!???!!!!! I did NOT know about any chest pains. GET your but to the doctor!!!! BP is TOO high. Heart rate is TOO high!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is close to my view of economics. In fact, before I got older and mellowed, AND I learned that charity is sorely needed sometimes, and truly appreciated sometimes as well, as well as good for the soul, I was an outright objectivist. I haven't strayed TOO far, but I DO believe that Corporate Greed can be evil and that lifting your people as high as you can has many returns, some of which ARE financial.
I really dont believe in corporate greed. Any business is in business to make money. When did it become our place to decide how much they can make? When did it become our place to decide how much they should give back?
If you have a business and employ people. You pay them what the economy believes the job is worth, and they stay working for you. Yet what you make affords you a really nice home with many nice toys and a nice bank account. Are you greedy from it because you didnt pay your guys as much as your making? The same goes for a corporation.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
We are in agreement for the most part morely. I too agree that everything is provided for you, especially in this land of opportunity. It is there for the taking, you just have to get up, go out and get it. It is really that simple. The problem is, when did it become my place and the place of everyone else who did get up and achieve it to now have to share what we got with those who didnt feel like getting up and even trying? I and many like me are more than happy to help anyone who really needs that help but there is one catch. They have to be trying to help themselves too.

How about we look at it like this. On one hand you have a person who really tried but due to bad luck or hard times or circumstances beyond there control just cant get ahead. Then on the other hand you have the person who never really tried, the wasted their years drinking and drugging, being a leech on their parents and society. Your in a position to help both, do you?
Lets take it a step farther. You did help both. The one who really tried was able to succeed with your help and get ahead to the point they thanked you and said they got it from here. The other one took what you gave them and bought more drink and more drug and now wants more from you. What do you do now.

Its not a matter of judging nor comparing. Its about using common sense. many of us are more than happy to lend a hand to those in need. Yet when did it become a point when we must support those who refuse to try?

We are still in agreement for the most part. Wishing for love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom is an honorable goal. But what about the guy who doesnt wish for that? Say you have a person who beats his wife and kids constantly and no matter what you say or do, it doesnt stop. He also refuses to work or support his family and thinks it is your place to do that because you have more than you deserve in his opinion, even tho you worked hard for what you have. I know that is an extreme example but we both know there are people out there like that. How can any of us have a better world with them in our world. So now what do you do. Do you shun him and refuse to help him anymore? If you do that then what about his wife, his kids? How is he any less deserving than one who refused to help themselves? One who had potential but squandered it? As much as any of us wish for love, reason, humanity, potentiality and true objective freedom, there is also reality that must be dealt with.

This was never a debate, it is a discussion because for the most part we agree. We both feel some need our help and it is our place to help them. The discussion is more about who deserves our help and where the line should be drawn for it. I draw the line at believing we should raise the minimum wage for i believe a person who gets a job and works hard wont stay at minimum wage for long for they are proving their value. You think it should be blanketed across the board which I am against for I see how it will harm far more than it will do good. If you raised an unskilled worker who flips burgers from $16K/yr to over $40K/yr then the market is going to correct itself and now that hamburger that use to cost $5/lb now cost $15/lb. In the end the unskilled worker will still have the same buying power that they had at the old minimum wage but the rest of us are in far worse shape because of it for we too must pay the price. So now we start cutting out things like fast food for face it, who wants to pay $15 for a happy meal. Now that fast food place cant stay in business and shuts its doors and that burger flipper is out of a job. See the slippery slope we are attempting to climb? That is the reality that must be dealt with.

One of my favorites rules for living:

There is a big difference between a hand up and a hand out

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I dont know where my manners are. Yall probably think I live in a barn or sumptin....... wait, I do live in a barn. :)

Anyways
gfy.jpg
Nabbed a pic of my nieces pit bull Hera to cheer you up.
upload_2016-6-24_11-12-15.png

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yup.
It seems to me...the thing about raising minimum wages is, it's nothing but an illusion. You tell yourself "hey, I'm making $15 an hour! Last week I was making 9 an hour! I'm doing better!"

But that neglects the truth that companies around the country are not just going to take the hit in profit and do nothing, and say "shucks, we gotta pay our workers more"

No, the minimum wage goes up, and the cost of living creeps up. Milk costs more, food costs more, everything slowly creeps it's way up to accommodate the new wage and maintain companies' profit levels at what they were at pre-wage increase.

So...if you have to spend more money to survive, then it really isn't a wage increase, is it?

Just my thoughts.

It's a difficult situation because the truth is there's tons of people that deserve to be paid more for the work they do (me and EVERYONE I worked with at my old job except managers of course, were in this boat) but, raising the minimum wage doesn't really do this in my opinion..

I get a huge chuckle out of Seattle when they decided to show the nation how its done and raised their minimum wage. Companies left the city because of it which meant a loss of tax $$$ to Seattle but the icing on the cake is when people started crying to have their hours cut because they no longer fell into that bracket that gave them free government checks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup.
It seems to me...the thing about raising minimum wages is, it's nothing but an illusion. You tell yourself "hey, I'm making $15 an hour! Last week I was making 9 an hour! I'm doing better!"

But that neglects the truth that companies around the country are not just going to take the hit in profit and do nothing, and say "shucks, we gotta pay our workers more"

No, the minimum wage goes up, and the cost of living creeps up. Milk costs more, food costs more, everything slowly creeps it's way up to accommodate the new wage and maintain companies' profit levels at what they were at pre-wage increase.

So...if you have to spend more money to survive, then it really isn't a wage increase, is it?

Just my thoughts.

It's a difficult situation because the truth is there's tons of people that deserve to be paid more for the work they do (me and EVERYONE I worked with at my old job except managers of course, were in this boat) but, raising the minimum wage doesn't really do this in my opinion..
True but everything does not stay in balance. Prices vs wages.
It is done to pay less and profit more.
If everything stayed in balance it would not matter if I paid $200 for a soda if I was making $10,000/hr.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
G'mornin' y'all -- I really was here when it was still mornin', got up when I heard the mailtruck again, and this time, my metal driptips arrived! The red aluminum Ming is actually just a perfect color for the miniBook!

newDriptipWminibook.jpg

So I'm happy, maybe I can keep from breaking this one, as it's aluminum. :D and GFYs merrily. :)

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You act like Mr. Juicy Lucy sometimes
It's a dude thing. I took my son to the doctor once when he was 14 and they wanted to take his blood. He took off running out of the room and then out of the building. I was SO embarrassed. Then, I looked around the parking lot for about 30 minutes and couldn't find him. Finally, I was so hot and sweaty I decided to sit in the truck and turn on the a/c and that's when I saw him. Lying flat on his back in the bed of the pickup. Now, he's married to a nurse. Karma???? LMAO

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I really dont believe in corporate greed. Any business is in business to make money. When did it become our place to decide how much they can make? When did it become our place to decide how much they should give back?
If you have a business and employ people. You pay them what the economy believes the job is worth, and they stay working for you. Yet what you make affords you a really nice home with many nice toys and a nice bank account. Are you greedy from it because you didnt pay your guys as much as your making? The same goes for a corporation.
This is true to a point, but corporations have and continue to do some truly unethical shit. There's a great documentary out there called the corporation, if you haven't seen it you should check it out. Basically the premise is, the corporations asked to be legally considered a person or some such, but if you follow that logic and give that corporation a psych test, it's pretty much a total sociopath that acts in ways 99% of real people would not. There's nothing wrong with making money, but when it goes into active bulldozing of the rights of others, calculated attempts to screw people over, etc, it's not about whether it's okay to make money. For example, the insurance companies responsible for hurricane Sandy recovery. Listed entire blocks on Staten island as "pre-existing condition, earth movement" as the cause of the house being destroyed. Not the flood that ravaged through the neighborhood but no, all these houses all had previous foundation cracks from Earth movement and managed to all fail at the same time. So they could take funds from the government for rebuilding, and pay out a fraction of them to their insurance claims. That is corporate greed and excess, and that's not okay and not under "just making money" in my book

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gah, didn't catch up, and everyone is packed up and ready to go home. Time for the Long Ride on the scoot. I'm gonna miss these guys. They all have homes lined up, and as soon as momma kicks em off the teat, off they go. See you folks tomorrow. Bye kitties..
bye.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Gah, didn't catch up, and everyone is packed up and ready to go home. Time for the Long Ride on the scoot. I'm gonna miss these guys. They all have homes lined up, and as soon as momma kicks em off the teat, off they go. See you folks tomorrow. Bye kitties..
View attachment 54865

Dam, I wish I could get one!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is true to a point, but corporations have and continue to do some truly unethical shit. There's a great documentary out there called the corporation, if you haven't seen it you should check it out. Basically the premise is, the corporations asked to be legally considered a person or some such, but if you follow that logic and give that corporation a psych test, it's pretty much a total sociopath that acts in ways 99% of real people would not. There's nothing wrong with making money, but when it goes into active bulldozing of the rights of others, calculated attempts to screw people over, etc, it's not about whether it's okay to make money. For example, the insurance companies responsible for hurricane Sandy recovery. Listed entire blocks on Staten island as "pre-existing condition, earth movement" as the cause of the house being destroyed. Not the flood that ravaged through the neighborhood but no, all these houses all had previous foundation cracks from Earth movement and managed to all fail at the same time. So they could take funds from the government for rebuilding, and pay out a fraction of them to their insurance claims. That is corporate greed and excess, and that's not okay and not under "just making money" in my book

I agree, that is wrong. But how is it any different than people making huge claims over the BP oil disaster when in fact they actually made tons of money from it? People making huge FEMA claims when their roof was in dire need of replacing before katrina or Sandy hit? Thats why I cant say corporate greed because its actually the people who are greedy, just some of them hide behind the corporation to practice their greed while other corporations go over and above for people.
In reality the term "corporate greed" was coined by a political party that wanted to direct the anger of the people and harness it for their own ( the political party ) greedy whims. If an entity such as an insurance company tries to to commit fraud like what happened from Sandy then that company needs to be brought to justice and face the music. Yet in todays day and age any company that makes a profit is hated and accused of corporate greed and that also is not right.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have however apparently forgotten how to do arithmetic, or perhaps just forgotten how old I am. I learned to read almost FIFTY yrs ago! :facepalm:

:D
Andria

Kinda reminds me of yesterday. The ex's mom is in bad shape and she dont have many miles left on the poor ol girl. Yesterday the ex calls me to come look at her moms air conditioner. I get there and start troubleshooting it and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong. When we was going to get a new capacitor for it the ex asked why I was having so much trouble. She said how for many years anything that broke I always took care of with hardly any problems but today it seemed like I was struggling. Like I told her age is catching up with me. The old mind isnt as sharp as it use to be. Sadly that happens to all of us :(

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nope I do not try to get tax dollars from others.
I am talking of corporations that totally or largely exist from Tax dollar income.

Btw many things are allowed in various societies, does that make them right?

If you ever have fudged a tax return, even a little bit then yes, you have taken tax dollars from others.

The biggest problem is politics. If you look at which party receives the lion share of political donations from corporations you will understand why they receive tax dollars for nothing. Does it make it right? No, but it is what it is and we really need to look at who is ultimately responsible instead of just blaming the end user (or abuser).

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
View attachment 54865
Aweeeeeeeeeeee! They're so cute! Have a good ride.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree, that is wrong. But how is it any different than people making huge claims over the BP oil disaster when in fact they actually made tons of money from it? People making huge FEMA claims when their roof was in dire need of replacing before katrina or Sandy hit? Thats why I cant say corporate greed because its actually the people who are greedy, just some of them hide behind the corporation to practice their greed while other corporations go over and above for people.
In reality the term "corporate greed" was coined by a political party that wanted to direct the anger of the people and harness it for their own ( the political party ) greedy whims. If an entity such as an insurance company tries to to commit fraud like what happened from Sandy then that company needs to be brought to justice and face the music. Yet in todays day and age any company that makes a profit is hated and accused of corporate greed and that also is not right.
Another well said!

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Kinda reminds me of yesterday. The ex's mom is in bad shape and she dont have many miles left on the poor ol girl. Yesterday the ex calls me to come look at her moms air conditioner. I get there and start troubleshooting it and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong. When we was going to get a new capacitor for it the ex asked why I was having so much trouble. She said how for many years anything that broke I always took care of with hardly any problems but today it seemed like I was struggling. Like I told her age is catching up with me. The old mind isnt as sharp as it use to be. Sadly that happens to all of us :(
Yes it does. But we won't care anymore when it gets real bad. :D

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not me I'm sharp as a ... Uhhh, you know, metal pointy thing that faste

Ooh!!! Something shiny

I just finished mowing the grass. The ground mold is going nuts here today and.. Well
image.jpeg

WTF...
This thing that puts the "vapingunderground.com" on all the pics is really starting to bug me.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I agree with what you say. Greed can be on both ends, but if you pay 20 years for flood insurance, even if your house is in disrepair prior to the flood, and then it is wiped out, you deserve to be paid the appraised price of the home, not be nickel and dimed, particularly because the insurance companies were not even footing the bill, the government was. They had literally no excuse not to pay people what their policy entitled them to, except greed. Some insurance companies profits the year of Sandy went up by 100 million dollars to the year before AND after Sandy. That's fraud, straight up. But..I just have a deep and all abiding hatred for insurance companies. Not all corporations are greedy or do unethical shit, but most insurance companies most certainly do. Just my biased opinion

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Not me I'm sharp as a ... Uhhh, you know, metal pointy thing that faste

Ooh!!! Something shiny

I just finished mowing the grass. The ground mold is going nuts here today and.. Well
View attachment 54866

WTF...
This thing that puts the "vapingunderground.com" on all the pics is really starting to bug me.
Yea man, it's like I can't read the rest of the funny.:eek:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree with what you say. Greed can be on both ends, but if you pay 20 years for flood insurance, even if your house is in disrepair prior to the flood, and then it is wiped out, you deserve to be paid the appraised price of the home, not be nickel and dimed, particularly because the insurance companies were not even footing the bill, the government was. They had literally no excuse not to pay people what their policy entitled them to, except greed. Some insurance companies profits the year of Sandy went up by 100 million dollars to the year before AND after Sandy. That's fraud, straight up. But..I just have a deep and all abiding hatred for insurance companies. Not all corporations are greedy or do unethical shit, but most insurance companies most certainly do. Just my biased opinion

Yea, insurance companies can be sneaky. I have USAA though and it's great.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's okay Andria - I got a good chuckle out of that one earlier :p

Forgetting how to do arithmetic wouldn't surprise me at all -- I was in 5th grade before I knew all my times tables! :D But reading? To me, that's like breathing... impossible to forget how to do that!

My son is appalled at my total doofusness with "mathematics" -- he tried to explain some chemistry shit to me at one point, and I just don't get it, it goes in one eye and out the other ear. "Moles" or some ridiculous crap. I told him, just be glad I learned to measure for cooking, and do arithmetic to keep up with the bills! :D

Andria

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Huckleberried , is there a way to turn off the thing that puts "vapingunderground.com" on my pictures.

There are some pics I'd like to post but since I own the copyright on them having that stuck on them is kinda messed up.

I hope this makes sense. I can't brain today :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
WTF...

Yeah... I had to learn, when I'm about to post a pic here and want the bottom of it to be readable, to add an extra 50 pixel margin on the bottom of the image. Otherwise it's not readable.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah... I had to learn, when I'm about to post a pic here and want the bottom of it to be readable, to add an extra 50 pixel margin on the bottom of the image. Otherwise it's not readable.

Andria
Let's all guess at what it might be......................
I can't brain today, I have ..............."The Dump"

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Let's all guess at what it might be......................
I can't brain today, I have ..............."The Dump"

Where it REALLY bugs me is in the Smokie's Pic of the Day thread... he's an admin here, he should KNOW the forum is going to add that, and adjust the pic accordingly!

Boden... I think if you use the photo icon in the top bar of the post area, and post it from a URL, it doesn't add that title to the pic. Only when you drag n drop.

Andria

Boden

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Where it REALLY bugs me is in the Smokie's Pic of the Day thread... he's an admin here, he should KNOW the forum is going to add that, and adjust the pic accordingly!

Boden... I think if you use the photo icon in the top bar of the post area, and post it from a URL, it doesn't add that title to the pic. Only when you drag n drop.

Andria
That much I've figured out. There must be a setting somewhere.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I seen a lot of that also and no, it is not right, but still it is people greed for people are running that corporation. After Katrina hit Louisiana I was in a Harley dealership getting my bike serviced. I got to chatting with the service gal and she told me about progressive insurance. They was paying people that lost their bikes what the bikes was worth. Other insurance companies was fighting the claims.
So do we lump Progressive in the same group as the others as a company of corporate greed?
In my honest opinion, which is just that, an opinion, a corporation is no different than a person in this regard. There is greedy ones and there is good ones. The biggest thing I have against the term "corporate greed" is its used mainly by those who are upset that they dont make CEO pay and fault the corporation for it. I believe any corporation should be viewed on their own merits, just like a person is and those who do wrong should be held accountable for that wrong, just like people should be.
Its just like I have been accused many times of being a clansman because I am a southern white guy and dont agree with the ones doing the accusing. I hate the clan and view them all as morons yet still I been accused many times just because. I see corporations the same way. They are accused of corporate greed just because they are a corporation. What they did up there for Sandy was not right, but did they all do it or only a select few? Do all of them get judged the same because of the select corrupt few? That is the question my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors