Status
Not open for further replies.

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I'm sure it doesn't have the alcohol content store bought wine has though. :)

lol .... I have hydrometers and other devices that allow me to accurately know the alcohol content...... One of the mistakes beginning winemakers make is they always try to make wines with strong alcohol content........ While there is nothing wrong with that it does tend to mask the natural flavors/aroma of a quality wine............ Super quality wine will have an alcohol content of between 10 and 12 % by volume.............. I tend to make wines for my personal use a bit stronger than that simply because I will drink less and my batches will last me longer...... For my personal use I like to make my wines at about 16% alcohol..........But, when I make wines for gifts to other people, then I try to make quality wines at around 10 % alcohol which will produce wines with great flavor profiles.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
lol .... I have hydrometers and other devices that allow me to accurately know the alcohol content...... One of the mistakes beginning winemakers make is they always try to make wines with strong alcohol content........ While there is nothing wrong with that it does tend to mask the natural flavors/aroma of a quality wine............ Super quality wine will have an alcohol content of between 10 and 12 % by volume.............. I tend to make wines for my personal use a bit stronger than that simply because I will drink less and my batches will last me longer...... For my personal use I like to make my wines at about 16% alcohol..........But, when I make wines for gifts to other people, then I try to make quality wines at around 10 % alcohol which will produce wines with great flavor profiles.
Dang! 16%? Well, you got me beat. lol

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
G'mornin' ma peeps. Had to get up at 11:30 when I heard the mail truck, but no vapemail; apparently it went from Sheboygan to Oak Creek, WI yesterday; maybe it'll be here tomorrow, but probably Friday (blueberry muffin from sweet-vapes).

So GFYs merrily, errybody.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
G'mornin' ma peeps. Had to get up at 11:30 when I heard the mail truck, but no vapemail; apparently it went from Sheboygan to Oak Creek, WI yesterday; maybe it'll be here tomorrow, but probably Friday (blueberry muffin from sweet-vapes).

So GFYs merrily, errybody.

Andria
Good morning Andria! Not many people here today. I love the blueberry favors too. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Good morning Andria! Not many people here today. I love the blueberry favors too. :)

Yeah, and I still haven't managed to DIY a blueberry muffin flavor. I can manage "blueberry SOMETHING", but that's about as far as I've gotten. Though I do punch up the blueberry flavor in that one with a little TFA blueberry extra, and a bit of sweetener. I guess I'll keep buying it as long as I can, and be thankful that it's not my ADV. I can mix a HELLACIOUS strawberry & cream. :D

Andria

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
More than ever .... I am just finishing the 3rd stage of a batch of dandelion wine so it will be drinkable any time........ It is a very clear white wine with a slight tint of yellow and it tastes spectacular for being a simple country wine............ I picked loads of dandelions for about 2 solid weeks this spring..... I picked so many of them I thought I was going to put my back out....arrg...... Oh well,I will have some dandelion wine for the cold winter months that will remind me of the nice and warm summer months...... I have also been doing lots of apple and grape wines.....

omg, thank you for the warm memory. When I was just a kid, I wanted to try to make Dandelion wine. My mom was a great adventurer, and was behind me 100%. Lent me her pressure cooker which I attached a hose to into a water jug to allow the fermentation gases out, but no air in. I think I must have stopped the vinification too soon. I bottled it and put it in the basement laundry room. Apparently it must have continued fermenting, because EVERY single bottle blew up and soaked the dirty laundry on the floor with sticky dandelion wine. AND the process left her poor pressure cooker badly pitted from the acid. She didn't even give me an ounce of grief, because ya know, I was adventuring. She was a great woman..

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, and I still haven't managed to DIY a blueberry muffin flavor. I can manage "blueberry SOMETHING", but that's about as far as I've gotten. Though I do punch up the blueberry flavor in that one with a little TFA blueberry extra, and a bit of sweetener. I guess I'll keep buying it as long as I can, and be thankful that it's not my ADV. I can mix a HELLACIOUS strawberry & cream. :D

Andria
Well you're a lot further than I am. I've only done diy once and that was at debadoo's house. lol With her telling me what to do. :)

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Dang! 16%? Well, you got me beat. lol

I can go higher than 16% ..... Natural wine yeasts tend to die off at about 12% and therefor you cannot make wine any stronger than that.... However through the years vintners have developed special wine yeasts that can tolerate much higher alcohol levels...... About the strongest wine I have made is about 21% ........ In order to make stronger wines though, you must have special wine yeasts for that purpose...... I always make my wine with special wine yeasts and so I can create wine at about 22% if I so desired.......... But, at that high level of alcohol, it would be very strong and would mask the flavors of the fruit and taste more like rocket fuel than wine.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
omg, thank you for the warm memory. When I was just a kid, I wanted to try to make Dandelion wine. My mom was a great adventurer, and was behind me 100%. Lent me her pressure cooker which I attached a hose to into a water jug to allow the fermentation gases out, but no air in. I think I must have stopped the vinification too soon. I bottled it and put it in the basement laundry room. Apparently it must have continued fermenting, because EVERY single bottle blew up and soaked the dirty laundry on the floor with sticky dandelion wine. AND the process left her poor pressure cooker badly pitted from the acid. She didn't even give me an ounce of grief, because ya know, I was adventuring. She was a great woman..
What a neat story. My mom was the same way. I painted a bunch of her prize daisies and they died. She gently explained that painting them was a bad idea.

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can go higher than 16% ..... Natural wine yeasts tend to die off at about 12% and therefor you cannot make wine any stronger than that.... However through the years vintners have developed special wine yeasts that can tolerate much higher alcohol levels...... About the strongest wine I have made is about 21% ........ In order to make stronger wines though, you must have special wine yeasts for that purpose...... I always make my wine with special wine yeasts and so I can create wine at about 22% if I so desired.......... But, at that high level of alcohol, it would be very strong and would mask the flavors of the fruit and taste more like rocket fuel than wine.
Yea, I had some strawberry wine/shine in Louisiana that tasted like rocket fuel.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well you're a lot further than I am. I've only done diy once and that was at debadoo's house. lol With her telling me what to do. :)

It's really not hard, but it does require some trial & error -- kinda like cooking. :D Last time we did grocerying, I could not find the Chicken Helper Sweet n Sour chicken ANYWHERE, so we bought a bottle of sweet n sour sauce and I made it "freestyle" -- and it wasn't bad, for a first effort, but I identified several ways to make it better, next time. Fancy that, Walmart making me an even better cook, just because whoever does their ordering is a complete and total fuckhead. :D

That's how I learned to make ranch crusted fried chicken too, though that wasn't Walmart's fault -- fucking Chicken Helper stopped making that flavor! Assholes! But it made me a more accomplished cook. :D

Andria

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Yea, I had some strawberry wine/shine in Louisiana that tasted like rocket fuel.

yeah, if a person is only concerned with creating "booze" to get inebriated with, then the stronger wines are the way to go.... But, if you like wines that taste like the fruit they are made from then you should drink wines at 12% (and lower) and no higher than 12%..... Most cheap store wines are not really wine at all and are about 7% by volume..... They are merely fruit juice with a bit of hard alcohol mixed in...... Some store wines are real wine but they are crappy quality wines for the simple fact that they are not nurtured and aged.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah, if a person is only concerned with creating "booze" to get inebriated with, then the stronger wines are the way to go.... But, if you like wines that taste like the fruit they are made from then you should drink wines at 12% (and lower) and no higher than 12%..... Most cheap store wines are not really wine at all and are about 7% by volume..... They are merely fruit juice with a bit of hard alcohol mixed in...... Some store wines are real wine but they are crappy quality wines for the simple fact that they are not nurtured and aged.

I always loved burgundy (the California version!) because it was 14%, while all the others were about 12%. :D

Andria

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Sounds like you had a mother who let you experiment and mentally grow...That is awesome.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sadly even low alc wine's flavor is masked by the alcohol for me.

21%? That is Mad Dog territory.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Then you know what to do.. ;)

c40764038329e74b1e2836d9d23821d6.jpg
Makes me want to go for a ride!

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
A half gallon of 16% every day? You ain't playin!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
yeah, I am a pretty seasoned winemaker and have never made dandelion wine b4 ...... I usually make rose's or red wines from fruits..... But I decided to try a white wine and went for dandelions............ I see we have loads of elderberry's coming on and so I am going to make a rose' (light red) wine which ought to be a pretty good wine as well.......... I have been making 50 gallons at a time because I got tired of messing around with the smaller 5 gallon batches.
Holy cow! That must be one big carboy! Didn't know they came in that size, don't wanna drop one of those suckers.:D
Seriously though, you didn't make 50 gallons of dandelion did you? That's a lot of picking and plucking.

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Sadly even low alc wine's flavor is masked by the alcohol for me.
21%? That is Mad Dog territory.

lol ...... yeah 21% wine = 42 proof booze which is fairly strong for most palates ..... Yep, my ole friend, some folks are not cut out to drink any type of alcohol or wine ...... But, for those of us who drink, there is a VAST difference between wine purchased at your average store vs quality wine made at home (if properly done of course) ........... Not only that, but I can slow down fermentation so that unwanted chemicals are not developed during fermentation and this in turn prevents hangovers should a person over indulge....... In other words, quality wines not only taste 1000% better but if you know what you are doing you can produce wines that reduce horrid side effects and hangovers.

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
A half gallon of 16% every day? You ain't playin!

lol .... yeppers, my body is so used to sampling the stuff I make that my tolerance is way up there......... I can drink loads of the stuff for sure...... Not only that but I do loads of hard physical work each day on the farm here and I sweat most of it out of my system..... I do not sit down and drink it all at once..... I have glasses of it throughout the day and so I never get blasted off of the stuff...( well sometimes I go overboard but not often ).

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Holy cow! That must be one big carboy! Didn't know they came in that size, don't wanna drop one of those suckers.:D
Seriously though, you didn't make 50 gallons of dandelion did you? That's a lot of picking and plucking.

lol ..... no, I only made 6 gallons of dandelion wine....even at that, it was a lot of picking .......... I am not aware of any carboys larger than about 12 gallons... No, I use a commercial 50 gallon fermenter...

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
lol .... yeppers, my body is so used to sampling the stuff I make that my tolerance is way up there......... I can drink loads of the stuff for sure...... Not only that but I do loads of hard physical work each day on the farm here and I sweat most of it out of my system..... I do not sit down and drink it all at once..... I have glasses of it throughout the day and so I never get blasted off of the stuff...( well sometimes I go overboard but not often ).
I don't drink, so a half gallon of anything would put me under the table haha

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I don't drink, so a half gallon of anything would put me under the table haha

lol ... yeah I quit drinking for 20 years or so but when I got into wine making and sampling my product then I started drinking again and I found myself drinking more and more and my body was able to handle more and more..........Drinking any type of alcohol can be very fun and rewarding but ONLY if done responsibly..... Of course this means not drinking and driving ( I haven't drove a vehicle in over 20 years) and drinking so much that you destroy your health..... On the other hand, if a person does not drink then it's best that they never start.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lol ... yeah I quit drinking for 20 years or so but when I got into wine making and sampling my product then I started drinking again and I found myself drinking more and more and my body was able to handle more and more..........Drinking any type of alcohol can be very fun and rewarding but ONLY if done responsibly..... Of course this means not drinking and driving ( I haven't drove a vehicle in over 20 years) and drinking so much that you destroy your health..... On the other hand, if a person does not drink then it's best that they never start.

I loved drinking! My main problem was, I had no off switch -- once I started, I wasn't stopping till I passed out. Which naturally played hell with my liver; so when hangovers started lasting 3-4 days, I figured it was a plea to cease and desist, from my liver. Or else IT was going to cease and desist. :D

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I loved drinking! My main problem was, I had no off switch -- once I started, I wasn't stopping till I passed out. Which naturally played hell with my liver; so when hangovers started lasting 3-4 days, I figured it was a plea to cease and desist, from my liver. Or else IT was going to cease and desist. :D

Andria
Yea, I can't drink like I used to. I was drinking quite a bit when I first quit smoking back at the end of August. Not sure why though. Maybe I felt deprived from the cigarettes? Now I'm down to drinking on Saturday or Friday night but not near as much as before. I just get so tired all the next day if I over do it. But hey, I'm not denying I like my wine.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good news. Selena is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!!! Woohooo!!!!
Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, "the queen of Tejano music," will get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame 22 years after her death. Selena, who was fatally shot at a Corpus Christi motel by the president of her fan club in 1995, will be honored with the star along with 33 other recipients in 2017.

AXIOM_1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Or, if they are a MEAN drunk, they should quit. My sister is a MEAN drunk. Not at all fun to be around.

yes, there are MANY negatives about the practice of drinking ethyl alcohol ( too many to mention )..... On the other hand, if a person drinks small amounts in each setting, it can be very beneficial to the stomach, appetite, and digestive system...... It also acts like a sedative and helps people sleep...... Since it's a central nervous system depressant, then it also acts like a anti anxiety agent which helps with anxiety and stress.....

The problems stem from irresponsible use of the substance .... The largest problem is when people drink too much in one setting, get intoxicated, and then do stupid things........... Like a gun, if used responsibly it can be beneficial.......... A gun in the wrong hands is usually a bad thing.....same thing applies with drinking.......... A gun is just a physical object and as such it is neither good nor bad.......... Guns don't kill people but rather the idiot who holds the gun..... Same thing applies to drinking......... There are plenty of responsible drinkers in the world.......... On the other hand there are also plenty of drunks who are ignorant, abusive, perform criminal acts while intoxicated, and a whole host of other negative actions.....

In short, if used with responsibility it can be a slightly beneficial thing but if used irresponsibly it will cause many problems.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good news. Selena is getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame!!! Woohooo!!!!
Selena Quintanilla-Pérez, "the queen of Tejano music," will get a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame 22 years after her death. Selena, who was fatally shot at a Corpus Christi motel by the president of her fan club in 1995, will be honored with the star along with 33 other recipients in 2017.
Holy cow, 22 years? I guess I am getting old.

shawn.hoefer

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually I just take a few inter dimensional steps.
The universe is really a small place if you know how to get around.
The cosmos does have to be properly aligned though.
Several years till that happens again.
It's just a step to the left...

And then a jump to the riiii iiii iiii iight...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's just a step to the left...

And then a jump to the riiii iiii iiii iight...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

"Let's all do the time warp again!" :)

Mr. Li apparently decided to visit WV earlier than Friday. :) Sitting here vaping on a Reo & Velocity clone. I had to use a metal rasp on the catch cup of the Reo clone for the Velocity to fit unto it. This did not take long, secured the mod in a bench vise and filed it down a bit. Could not find sand paper. Know we have some but who knows where? I may ask my witch to borrow/take one of her Emory puff board things later on to really polish sand it.

Can say though, ... I will be saving nickels to buy an authentic Reo LP. :) Presently, I am using the stock coils that were with the one Velcity clone. It rocks clouds even using stock coils with rayon wick. I set the other Velocity clone up with two coils from the twisted batch I made up. Not fired it up yet. Figure it'll kick my head back for sure, but in a good way. :) Yes, Spanky, I do like the glass bell caps. One does not fit but so snugly on the one deck, though. The other seems to fit more snug. I'll be using those on rare occasion when I'm 'safe' to do so. Like 'em though, they're hinky. :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
"Let's all do the time warp again!" :)

Mr. Li apparently decided to visit WV earlier than Friday. :) Sitting here vaping on a Reo & Velocity clone. I had to use a metal rasp on the catch cup of the Reo clone for the Velocity to fit unto it. This did not take long, secured the mod in a bench vise and filed it down a bit. Could not find sand paper. Know we have some but who knows where? I may ask my witch to borrow/take one of her Emory puff board things later on to really polish sand it.

Can say though, ... I will be saving nickels to buy an authentic Reo LP. :) Presently, I am using the stock coils that were with the one Velcity clone. It rocks clouds even using stock coils with rayon wick. I set the other Velocity clone up with two coils from the twisted batch I made up. Not fired it up yet. Figure it'll kick my head back for sure, but in a good way. :) Yes, Spanky, I do like the glass bell caps. One does not fit but so snugly on the one deck, though. The other seems to fit more snug. I'll be using those on rare occasion when I'm 'safe' to do so. Like 'em though, they're hinky. :)

Ahh, glad you are rocking the squonk box Morley.

A good squonk always makes everything better:)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow, im impressed. I lose internet for a day and yall lose your freaking minds. Luicy running around everywhere showing everyone her boobs, yall getting drunk on wine and doing funky kindergarten dances. Really impressed :D

Cable company was out here yesterday working on the pole for who knows what reason, and after that I had no internet. Called them up yesterday afternoon and they said earliest they can get out here was Thursday afternoon. :gaah: Not good enough so I increased the charm and the bitching and they put a rush on the order and doubled my internet speed for $15 less a month.
Cable guy shows up this morning and I also told him to check by the road. He ensures me he is an internet specialist and knows what he is doing and wanted to check in the house..:blah:..and determines the problem is at the road so another crew has to be called out. :cuss2: They made it around 2 this afternoon and eventually fixed the internet. Took two bucket trucks but at least it is fixed. I did an internet speed test and sure enough, its running 65 mbps now which is double what I had so not bad.
Had my boy Rascal locked up in the bedroom during all this and he got to bark at more people than he has ever barked at before. Even the Fed Ex guy came by and got barked at so my boy Rascal is a happy camper too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors