Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah right :p

I hesitated to even suggest you check post tightness, lol.

Not a bad suggestion at all, with attys that use the thru-the-posts mounting... and even with my old kayfuns, sometimes they wiggled a little loose. Maybe it's the titanium that makes it stay tight in the Achilles? I dunno, but I've never noticed them getting loose at all.

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually... a hangover is due to the alcohol-outprocessing in the liver being stalled in the acetaldehyde phase. So yeah, probably the shine. :D It was more alcohol than your liver could deal with in that amount of time, so it was still in-process when you woke, and you still had a fair amount of acetaldehyde in your liver.

Andria
I wonder if Rip has a cure for that?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if Rip has a cure for that?

Heh. The best cure is a) time, and b) plenty of water, to get the acetaldehyde converted to acetic acid (vinegar) ASAP and flushed to the kidneys. Since alcohol displaces water (esp. in the brain since it's so aqueous, hence those GODAWFUL headaches), water is ALWAYS a good remedy for a hangover. I pretty much had a PhD in drinking by the time I finally knocked it off, thanks to a stint in rehab + natural curiosity.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Went to looking at Steam Engine regarding the stock coils what come with the Velocity clone rdas. It is 28ga kanthal wrapped 12 times. This means each coil would read out at ~ 2.5 ohms. Put two on a deck and you get ~ 1.25 ohms. I then decided on misbehaving. I put the coils on the deck vertically. :cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud: "Oh, Hell Yeah!" :):shades:

Yes, I'm aware others have done so already. I also know they probably still do. It was a first for me & it worked out well, possibly better than I expected. Also used one length of rayon as a wick. Ran one end down one chimney (coil) and then up and over the other end went to the other chimney.

Minor note. Not sure exactly why but one of the decks apparently is shorted. Don't worry yourself over it @JuicyLucy. I fumbled with the ss wire, that's on me. Not even sure that is what caused it. Shoot, they're clones I'm pretty sure there is a reason they sell cheaply. Might be metal burs I cannot see even with reading glasses on, on the hex head grub screws.

I did clean the deck and ran a hex driver through the bottom feed pin. It sounded rough making it's exit out the other side. Figure there were burs in it at the least. It's no big issue for me. I can pick up another Velocity kit later on. Might even be able to spring for an authentic by then.

S'all Goode. :) Time now to head down the way to have supper with the witch, then feed the other critters. Had a nap earlier despite getting to bed at 10 PM. Guess a few nights of 3 AM caught up. * Makes note to self, "You're not twenty any more old man, go to bed at a reasonable hour." *

Last edited:

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Went to looking at Steam Engine regarding the stock coils what come with the Velocity clone rdas. It is 28ga kanthal wrapped 12 times. This means each coil would read out at ~ 2.5 ohms. Put two on a deck and you get ~ 1.25 ohms. I then decided on misbehaving. I put the coils on the deck vertically. :cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud::cloud: "Oh, Hell Yeah!" :):shades:
You're a fucking miscreant Morley!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Pls make a video of the blast.....:tldr:

I'll see how devious I feel Monday.

I spread one out and set it off last 4th. It took 11 minutes to finish. what I forgot to account for was the mess and litter afterward:bomb:

It took over an hour to clean up (three people) to even semi-passable.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yes, I'm aware others have done so already. I also know they probably still do. It was a first for me & it worked out well, possibly better than I expected. Also used one length of rayon as a wick. Ran one end down one chimney (coil) and then up and over the other end went to the other chimney.

When I was experimenting with a Veritas, I tried a single vertical, and I found it fairly impressive, though I didn't care much for that atty overall, too airy for me. But those vertical coils do perform very well.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Heh. The best cure is a) time, and b) plenty of water, to get the acetaldehyde converted to acetic acid (vinegar) ASAP and flushed to the kidneys. Since alcohol displaces water (esp. in the brain since it's so aqueous, hence those GODAWFUL headaches), water is ALWAYS a good remedy for a hangover. I pretty much had a PhD in drinking by the time I finally knocked it off, thanks to a stint in rehab + natural curiosity.

Andria

I thought I should add this, to the above post: there actually is a much better cure for hangovers, which hasn't failed in nearly 24 yrs: abstinence. Seriously, that's why I had to quit, the 3 day hangovers were killing me. :D

Andria

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm also an insensitive bastard at times. Your point is what exactly? :p :) And yes I am a bastard in the sense of having been born out of wedlock, not the sense of being a test tube baby though. Well, you're twixt me and supper. I'll tell ya make a hole, run 'er slow. :)
Try it like this next time
91df7df70cb05c3c7c973875a8a40ebf.jpg

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

I'm still giggling over that one. :D

Andria

Me too.

Unfortunately, he may be right. I do not need to get involved in yet another international incident.

I'm trying to figure out where I can do it and no one will know for certain it was me.

Mr. Juicy Lucy and I are well known in the group of top five pyros in town :bunny:

While technically not illegal on July 3-4, we worry pushing the limits could lead to a ban.

Some were PISSED when I set off those rounds last year :blah:

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Story submitted to a publisher. They request no simultaneous submissions, meaning no submitting a story elsewhere until they accept or reject. Their time for response is four months. It's alright by me because they seem to pay well enough. Besides, I'll be starting another story Monday or Tuesday. Might hold off until Tuesday to account for the holiday.

Ooooh, good luck with your story, Morley! I hope it is a smash!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Me too.

Unfortunately, he may be right. I do not need to get involved in yet another international incident.

I'm trying to figure out where I can do it and no one will know for certain it was me.

Mr. Juicy Lucy and I are well known in the group of top five pyros in town :bunny:

While technically not illegal on July 3-4, we worry pushing the limits could lead to a ban.

Some were PISSED when I set off those rounds last year :blah:

Our next-door neighbors have a BIG fireworks party every July 4 and Dec 31, and some of our neighbors up the street often do too. And all the streets around us. If you heard it around here July 3-5, you'd swear the British were already here and being fought off stoutly! :D But our next-door neighbors do those huge ones that really look like something when they go boom way up in the air, and you have to hold your ears, it's like a shotgun blast.

Andria

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll see how devious I feel Monday.

I spread one out and set it off last 4th. It took 11 minutes to finish. what I forgot to account for was the mess and litter afterward:bomb:

It took over an hour to clean up (three people) to even semi-passable.

Do it in a garbage can! Cleanup solved. When I was a kid, we used to do it in milk chutes. Just pop it in, close the outside door, and run like hell and hope the "Get off my lawn" lady didn't recognize us.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Our next-door neighbors have a BIG fireworks party every July 4 and Dec 31, and some of our neighbors up the street often do too. And all the streets around us. If you heard it around here July 3-5, you'd swear the British were already here and being fought off stoutly! :D But our next-door neighbors do those huge ones that really look like something when they go boom way up in the air, and you have to hold your ears, it's like a shotgun blast.

Andria

Hahaha.

One New Year Day, the neighbor I really hate came and complained, but he blamed it on the other neighbor I dislike a lot, so I got them both on that one. We were proud of that one :giggle:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Do it in a garbage can! Cleanup solved. When I was a kid, we used to do it in milk chutes. Just pop it in, close the outside door, and run like hell and hope the "Get off my lawn" lady didn't recognize us.

Think a crappy old rubber maid would contain 16 thousand all at once?

My method to explode a thousand at once is to wait until Mr. Juicy sets off one of the big ones, the kind that are the size of a car battery. I then set 1,000 rounds on top, light it, and about 20 go off and then the other 980 explode all at once.

You can feel it rumble through the ground at 50 feet away, easy. you can feel it from inside a vehicle and it rattles the windows inside the house BIG TIME

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think a crappy old rubber maid would contain 16 thousand all at once?

My method to explode a thousand at once is to wait until Mr. Juicy sets off one of the big ones, the kind that are the size of a car battery. I then set 1,000 rounds on top, light it, and about 20 go off and then the other 980 explode all at once.

You can feel it rumble through the ground at 50 feet away, easy. you can feel it from inside a vehicle and it rattles the windows inside the house BIG TIME

So... like the trains that cruise by all day and night, about 400 ft down the street. :D

It really is funny though, all that popping and booming going on for 3 freakin days -- take a wild guess where my fraidy-cat ends up spending most of her time -- that's right: The Cat Cave. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So anyway... yeah... vaping! I've got some superior vapemail heading my way over the next week or 2. The black miniBook, probably Tuesday, might be Wednesday. Couple new batteries from illumn. Some flavors from BCV, finally getting some FA marzipan so I can try that Apple Tart recipe that HIC posted. And still awaiting those 13ga needles so I can try to improve on the mods to my Magmas, and maybe also mod my Achilles 2 base, to have a tighter draw. Those will be the last, they're on the slow boat from Hong Kong. :D

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
So anyway... yeah... vaping! I've got some superior vapemail heading my way over the next week or 2. The black miniBook, probably Tuesday, might be Wednesday. Couple new batteries from illumn. Some flavors from BCV, finally getting some FA marzipan so I can try that Apple Tart recipe that HIC posted. And still awaiting those 13ga needles so I can try to improve on the mods to my Magmas, and maybe also mod my Achilles 2 base, to have a tighter draw. Those will be the last, they're on the slow boat from Hong Kong. :D

Andria

That's great.

On a funny note - my last FT order had 20ml syringes but I forgot to make sure they were blunted. I got one out and stuck myself pretty hard - it's syringe as in "shoot drugs and draw blood on a large animal" sharp with an insanely large needle, lol.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's great.

On a funny note - my last FT order had 20ml syringes but I forgot to make sure they were blunted. I got one out and stuck myself pretty hard - it's syringe as in "shoot drugs and draw blood on a large animal" sharp with an insanely large needle, lol.

I got myself with one of those, with those so-called 12ga needles I originally ordered to try the magma mod -- they were certainly not 12ga, more like 16ga, and they were for piercing body parts, so yes, insanely sharp -- just taking one out of the pkg got my right index finger! But they were marked as sterile, and had JUST been taken out, so I just slapped a bandaid on it and it healed in a couple days -- nice clean poke! :D

My husband figured that whoever filled the order was just an idiot, and went over to the bins, saw the 14ga needles, and figured "12ga" must be narrower, not fatter, and grabbed 16ga instead of going the other way for the 12ga. :D

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I got myself with one of those, with those so-called 12ga needles I originally ordered to try the magma mod -- they were certainly not 12ga, more like 16ga, and they were for piercing body parts, so yes, insanely sharp -- just taking one out of the pkg got my right index finger! But they were marked as sterile, and had JUST been taken out, so I just slapped a bandaid on it and it healed in a couple days -- nice clean poke! :D

My husband figured that whoever filled the order was just an idiot, and went over to the bins, saw the 14ga needles, and figured "12ga" must be narrower, not fatter, and grabbed 16ga instead of going the other way for the 12ga. :D

Andria

Think I'll just saw the tips off - that shit is dangerous!

It never occurred to me that you could just buy ridonkulous sized sharp needles like that. I just assumed they were all blunted, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Think I'll just saw the tips off - that shit is dangerous!

It never occurred to me that you could just buy ridonkulous sized sharp needles like that. I just assumed they were all blunted, lol

I got some 18ga needles at one point that had points; I just rubbed the sharp point off on a piece of sandpaper, to preserve the diagonal opening, since those needles are so narrow. They still have much the same shape, but are no longer so wickedly sharp that they're a huge hazard. I did keep one with a sharp point though -- when those motherfucking childproof caps on plastic bottles don't open, you can pierce the bottle to transfer to another bottle with a proper cap or dropper.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I was experimenting with a Veritas, I tried a single vertical, and I found it fairly impressive, though I didn't care much for that atty overall, too airy for me. But those vertical coils do perform very well.

Andria

Yes they're doing the job quite well for me. The Velocities are highly adjustable for air intake. Can get them down to nearly no air to bringing in hurricanes. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think I mentioned that there's a big bunny that keeps visiting our backyard... it's always in the evening, when our cat is already in, but she sits by the sliding glass doors just fixated on the little beast.

backyardvermin.jpg

Looks to be about 15" or a bit more from tips of ears to the ground.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I think I mentioned that there's a big bunny that keeps visiting our backyard... it's always in the evening, when our cat is already in, but she sits by the sliding glass doors just fixated on the little beast.

View attachment 55534

Looks to be about 15" or a bit more from tips of ears to the ground.

Andria

Okay, intersting factoid, Andria. My town is overrun with feral rabbits.

They are everywhere. Some winters they attract so many predators that coyotes and lynxes literally run down the middle of the road.

Rabbit turds sometimes litter the sidewalks, like little frozen ball bearings. During thaws, there are rabbit poo skid marks all over the place.

The rabbit situation has created a bunny war in this town. Half the people love the rabbits, feed them, protect them and tolerate the negative aspects.

The other half hate the bunnies, trap them, eat them and sic their dogs on them.

I am a hypocritical NIMBY, I don't want anyone to harm the bunnies, but I hate it when they wander into my yard.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm about all shopped out. We went to Ingles and got the steaks for Monday's cookout, and they had coke 12pks on sale for a good price, but you had to buy 4 of 'em, for $11.98. Plus some taters and a nice canteloupe, and the usual 4lb bag of sugar. Cost us nearly $50 to get outta there. :facepalm: would have been $55 without that sale on the cokes, but we'd only have bought 1 if they hadn't been on sale. But oh well, he won't have to buy any for a while. I never drink real coke, only Dr Pepper, Pepsi, or (preferably) Canada Dry Ginger Ale. But usually just decaf tea -- lots less sugar that way!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Okay, intersting factoid, Andria. My town is overrun with feral rabbits.

They are everywhere. Some winters they attract so many predators that coyotes and lynxes literally run down the middle of the road.

Rabbit turds sometimes litter the sidewalks, like little frozen ball bearings. During thaws, there are rabbit poo skid marks all over the place.

The rabbit situation has created a bunny war in this town. Half the people love the rabbits, feed them, protect them and tolerate the negative aspects.

The other half hate the bunnies, trap them, eat them and sic their dogs on them.

I am a hypocritical NIMBY, I don't want anyone to harm the bunnies, but I hate it when they wander into my yard.

If I'm not currently growing anything that they like to eat, I'm completely neutral about bunnies -- they're vermin, but if they ain't eating my garden, I can tolerate 'em, just like squirrels. We don't have all that many bunnies, just because there are quite a few feral cats around here, I've seen a coyote or two, and there's more than one Great Horned Owl and some Barred Owls too -- and further to the north side of town, I've seen golden eagles (and huge freaking 10pt stags, but that's another matter). But next summer, I'm going to put in some herb gardens in raised beds, so I'll be buying industrial quantities of black and red pepper to sprinkle all over the yard to keep the bunnies AND squirrels the hell outta my yard. :D Stray dogs don't care much for it either. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm still blasting classic rock over here. Discovered one of the other perks with Amazon Prime -- unlimited ad-free music streaming. :D got my desktop speakers plugged into my phone's earphone jack. :D

Andria

Even niftier -- amazon music doesn't run down the battery NEARLY as fast as Pandora does -- much better code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors