Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Up yours :)

What's on your itinerary for the day?
My Swiss Mountain Climbing guest suggested I need more exercise, and she loves botany, so I dragged her through 5 miles of my thickest woods filled with tanglefoot, fallen trees, poison ivy, and various other obstacles and treachery. Who is sweating NOW, Heidi?!?

doc_iguana

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
howdy, folks! hope all are well - been too much adulting lately, but have got some mixing done (and a bit more to do tonight) along with second aging barrel set up and rocking... hope you have an exceptional day and spend some time with family/ friends :)

gotta go run a couple damn errands, dinner with the folks then back to the cave for some more mixing - got several castle long clone variants mixed up along with first four beignet testers... only 12 more samples/ testers to mix up... then lollygaggin time! :)

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
howdy, folks! hope all are well - been too much adulting lately, but have got some mixing done (and a bit more to do tonight) along with second aging barrel set up and rocking... hope you have an exceptional day and spend some time with family/ friends :)

gotta go run a couple damn errands, dinner with the folks then back to the cave for some more mixing - got several castle long clone variants mixed up along with first four beignet testers... only 12 more samples/ testers to mix up... then lollygaggin time! :)

GAH!!! Beignets!! OOOh, maybe my bestie can swing by and grab a tester or two of Beignet! Then I can look forward to trying them... for MARDI GRAS. :blah:

doc_iguana

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
GAH!!! Beignets!! OOOh, maybe my bestie can swing by and grab a tester or two of Beignet! Then I can look forward to trying them... for MARDI GRAS. :blah:
right? bet you're still waiting on the first care package... call it a guess...

oooh - did i tell you about this killer cotton? or the barrel aged vanilla? or... oh... wait. whoops!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm in a similar boat - except I avoid any face-to-face contact with my mother like the plague
It's emotionally exhausting at best, abusive at worst and I just can't take it most of the time.

Like I said before, your mom sounds a LOT like my sister. Kudos to you for doing what you can Andria. I can't imagine having a parent being like that. Hearing all what you've said, makes me realize why my nephew John really doesn't have much to do with her. I understand him better now.

Well, I currently have my husband calling to try and find out what's up with her; if she's still in the rehab center, or maybe back home -- because I really don't need a yard of shit about why I haven't called -- they do have BOTH my phone numbers, and we haven't heard a word from them. They like him better, and they don't give him as much shit as they give me -- maybe they're slightly afraid of him. :D

But yeah, it dawned on me about 10 yrs ago that if I had just let things go on as they were, I'd regret it terribly when she was gone and there was no longer any chance for rapprochement. There still may not be, but it's not for lack of my trying; it's just how she is. But I have more than enough regrets already, I don't need more which I could avoid simply by making an effort.

But this situation with my mom is exactly why, when I found out I was pregnant, I cried. Because I knew a) I'd have to finally grow up, if I was going to raise a child -- having seen what happens when a person becomes a parent before they're a grownup; and b) I didn't want to raise my child and then have he/she end up disliking and disrespecting me in the same way. That, and then a few yrs later when I got sober so as not to leave my son motherless, are the big differences between me and my mom -- she apparently never had any such feelings or felt any such needs about herself, so she is still pretty much the same exact person she was at 18, or maybe 12.

She did quit drinking about 10 yrs ago when she got the cirrhosis diagnosis, but she never attended a single AA meeting -- she won't, because she's "not LIKE 'those people'" -- so she is what is commonly known at AA as a dry drunk -- not drinking, but not changed one iota from when she was drunk every night. My own experience in sobriety is that about 6 months after I quit drinking, a good friend told me I was a completely different person, from the one that I had been. Which was hugely encouraging, that I was very much on the right road, and thank god, I've managed to stay on that road.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I currently have my husband calling to try and find out what's up with her; if she's still in the rehab center, or maybe back home -- because I really don't need a yard of shit about why I haven't called -- they do have BOTH my phone numbers, and we haven't heard a word from them. They like him better, and they don't give him as much shit as they give me -- maybe they're slightly afraid of him. :D

But yeah, it dawned on me about 10 yrs ago that if I had just let things go on as they were, I'd regret it terribly when she was gone and there was no longer any chance for rapprochement. There still may not be, but it's not for lack of my trying; it's just how she is. But I have more than enough regrets already, I don't need more which I could avoid simply by making an effort.

But this situation with my mom is exactly why, when I found out I was pregnant, I cried. Because I knew a) I'd have to finally grow up, if I was going to raise a child -- having seen what happens when a person becomes a parent before they're a grownup; and b) I didn't want to raise my child and then have he/she end up disliking and disrespecting me in the same way. That, and then a few yrs later when I got sober so as not to leave my son motherless, are the big differences between me and my mom -- she apparently never had any such feelings or felt any such needs about herself, so she is still pretty much the same exact person she was at 18, or maybe 12.

She did quit drinking about 10 yrs ago when she got the cirrhosis diagnosis, but she never attended a single AA meeting -- she won't, because she's "not LIKE 'those people'" -- so she is what is commonly known at AA as a dry drunk -- not drinking, but not changed one iota from when she was drunk every night. My own experience in sobriety is that about 6 months after I quit drinking, a good friend told me I was a completely different person, from the one that I had been. Which was hugely encouraging, that I was very much on the right road, and thank god, I've managed to stay on that road.

Andria
You're doing and did, everything you could, and still took the right road. It's difficult when a family member --- and I'm thinking especially a parent that's supposed to take care of you and nurture you and help you become the best person you could be --> turns out to not be there. Your son's very lucky to have YOU as his mom. :) I'm lucky to have YOU as a friend. Cause you and Lucy totally "get it". :bliss:

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
MMMMmmmm... NICE Doc! I've got the Vertibraid you sent going in the Prometey, and at .44 ohms on a Vela, it's a megatootle! Just got a spool of it from Stuart, so I am going to be playing with Vertibraid awhile...

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
about 10 yrs ago that if I had just let things go on as they were, I'd regret it terribly when she was gone and there was no longer any chance for rapprochement.

I have a few friends with that philosophy - it has worked for some, not for others. Everybody's situation is the same but different in these scenarios.

My mother abdicated her roll as parent and abused it so badly when she did take any responsibility as a parent, it is maybe easier for me to walk away (figuratively) when need be.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
especially a parent that's supposed to take care of you and nurture you and help you become the best person you could be

She took excellent care of me *materially* -- food to eat, meals on the table, nice clothes to wear, decent place to live, and plenty of medical and dental care when I needed it. Nurture? A big fat HAH to that; she doesn't have the FIRST clue how to nurture ANYTHING. Most children don't.

But she did in fact help me become a better person -- I always just tried to do everything completely opposite to how she would have done it, and that's worked out pretty damn well. :D I guess a *negative* role model is better than none at all. ;) I think that may have been a big part of my revelation about needing to get sober -- when I realized I was in real danger of turning into her! :facepalm:

Andria

doc_iguana

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
13557700_1613135362049244_8707914782335650373_n.png

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If it's possible I'd love to meet her. Crazy people love me for some unknown reason.

Don't tell her I'm Cherokee. Who knows what she might expect.
Nope can't meet you she was once hiding in a closet because the Indians were going to get her for the bad things she had done.

Cleveland Indians? That is where they make ford engines.
You remember that 48 ford Daddy had?
Who was the president in 48?
48'ers that is what they called gold miners wasn't it?
wonder what happened to Grannys wedding ring?

Kind of an example of her rambling NON stop for hours and without a gap or pause.

She has been known to run naked outside in the cold of winter howling saying she was queen of the she wolves.
Hit people with hammers, and carry a hatchet.

I suppose by some comparisons Trump IS sane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors