Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
20160712_205738.jpg Good evening, and GFY, Fugees!
This may well be THE best ducking idea I've had in a decade... saw SO much today. Badlands, black Hills national forest, a minute man silo..

Right now though, these duck wings with apricot glaze look good... camp food.. blergh..

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 56327 Good evening, and GFY, Fugees!
This may well be THE best ducking idea I've had in a decade... saw SO much today. Badlands, black Hills national forest, a minute man silo..

Right now though, these duck wings with apricot glaze look good... camp food.. blergh..

Wooo, for a minute there I thought you ate Cromwell!!!

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
20160712_205738-jpg.56327
Good evening, and GFY, Fugees!

I only hope and pray it tastes better than it photographs. (I have cats - don't ask...)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lol.. that ain't the equation and ya know it. I don't mess with anything that I can pay less than i can make in that same time..

Unless I really enjoy it..

Uhh.. what? :huh: i have no idea what this even means. :crazy:

Andria

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Americans who rent, take heart. I have been through more than a dozen national and state lands in 3 days. You own WAY More land than they are telling you...

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
When I used to drink beer, I used to fantasize about having a permanent catheter, I got so sick of the constant peeing. If you drink a lot of beer, it's like you're pregnant -- every 5 minutes!

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
All very good points.
I did not intend for you to freeze your tush off.

actually often in the winter it is colder here than in Anchorage.
Hits -20 sometimes for a few days.

Not usually a lot of snow though.

I don't live in Los Anchorage :) I live in the snowiest town in North America.

Here is what the weather channel says:

#1: Valdez, Alaska
Snow stats

• Average yearly snow: 326.3"
  • Population (2010 census): 3,976
  • Snowiest month: December (71.9")
  • Snowiest day: 47.5" (1/16/1990)
Some "number-ones" edge out the competition by a nose. A photo finish in the Kentucky Derby. A last-second field-goal in the Super Bowl. A home-run in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the World Series.

Then, there are the "blowouts". Valdez, AK clobbers the competition as America's snowiest city. Their annual average snowfall bests our #2 city, Crested Butte, Colo., by over 9 feet!

It may be hard to fathom how much snow this is, so I'll present a simple comparison. Imagine creating one giant snowpile 326" high, without compaction. (This would make for a dangerous game of "King of the Hill", eh?). The height of this snowpile...just over 27 feet!

Want more amazing facts? Here you go:

• They've had 100" of snow in 5 different months!
  • They once had 180" of snow in just one month! That's almost 5 times the average annual snow in Chicago!
  • Want to see what 100" on the ground looks like? That happened twice in the same year (1990).
  • Only 215" of snow was measured in the 2010-2011 season, roughly 110" below average!
In December 2009, Valdez was swamped by one of those almost biblical storms. Over 3 days, an incredible 68" (that's 5 feet, 8 inches, folks!) of snow buried the town. Snow was piled on the side of city streets 3 to 4 feet high. At that point, you can call those piles "berms".

If you own a boat on the harbor, well, you can't let the weight of that snow accumulate on the deck. The weight of the snow could sink it, if pumps don't work properly. That's what happened to at least one boat in the harbor during this incredible Dec. '09 storm.

Why do they get so much? First, Valdez is surrounded by mountains. These mountains don't completely block cold air in the Alaskan interior from reaching Valdez. Instead, north to northeast winds channel through mountain valleys. Cold air can also drain from glaciers and mountain snowfields into the city, especially at night.

Secondly, one of the most common low pressure systems on the planet, the "Aleutian low", sets up camp to the southwest of Valdez in the colder months. When this happens, copious Pacific moisture pumps into southern Alaska. If cold air is in place, as described above, you guessed it, heavy snow results.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't live in Los Anchorage :) I live in the snowiest town in North America.

Here is what the weather channel says:

#1: Valdez, Alaska
Snow stats

• Average yearly snow: 326.3"
  • Population (2010 census): 3,976
  • Snowiest month: December (71.9")
  • Snowiest day: 47.5" (1/16/1990)
Some "number-ones" edge out the competition by a nose. A photo finish in the Kentucky Derby. A last-second field-goal in the Super Bowl. A home-run in the bottom of the 9th in Game 7 of the World Series.

Then, there are the "blowouts". Valdez, AK clobbers the competition as America's snowiest city. Their annual average snowfall bests our #2 city, Crested Butte, Colo., by over 9 feet!

It may be hard to fathom how much snow this is, so I'll present a simple comparison. Imagine creating one giant snowpile 326" high, without compaction. (This would make for a dangerous game of "King of the Hill", eh?). The height of this snowpile...just over 27 feet!

Want more amazing facts? Here you go:

• They've had 100" of snow in 5 different months!
  • They once had 180" of snow in just one month! That's almost 5 times the average annual snow in Chicago!
  • Want to see what 100" on the ground looks like? That happened twice in the same year (1990).
  • Only 215" of snow was measured in the 2010-2011 season, roughly 110" below average!
In December 2009, Valdez was swamped by one of those almost biblical storms. Over 3 days, an incredible 68" (that's 5 feet, 8 inches, folks!) of snow buried the town. Snow was piled on the side of city streets 3 to 4 feet high. At that point, you can call those piles "berms".

If you own a boat on the harbor, well, you can't let the weight of that snow accumulate on the deck. The weight of the snow could sink it, if pumps don't work properly. That's what happened to at least one boat in the harbor during this incredible Dec. '09 storm.

Why do they get so much? First, Valdez is surrounded by mountains. These mountains don't completely block cold air in the Alaskan interior from reaching Valdez. Instead, north to northeast winds channel through mountain valleys. Cold air can also drain from glaciers and mountain snowfields into the city, especially at night.

Secondly, one of the most common low pressure systems on the planet, the "Aleutian low", sets up camp to the southwest of Valdez in the colder months. When this happens, copious Pacific moisture pumps into southern Alaska. If cold air is in place, as described above, you guessed it, heavy snow results.
What would possess one to live there?.....:cry:

Guess you gotta like snow and rain, a lot....:vino:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors