Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Darn phone. I hope you can get away back to your love soon. And more temperate weather, ZOMG!

finally pegged out the air temp gauge on the bike today. It is SMOKING hot!!

Lose weight while vacationing?....is there such thing.....:giggle:

Weather is hot, humidity is beginning to climb with lower temps, which makes it worse than higher temps with low humidity.

Such is life, but hopefully I'm in for a drastic change, as soon as I stop answering my phone saying yes, sure we can do that for you.....:facepalm:

Gotta keep my people working, but it's spreading in my direction much more than I care for. Although I shouldn't complain, I expect 2016 to be the best year on the books in 20+ yrs.

Have a safe trip east my friend...!

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey, you TC fans.... where's the cheapest place to get 'stainless steel 316' wire? Per the specs in my CF4-18650 handbook. I tried it with Ti, wasn't impressed, but from all I've heard, that Evic-VT isn't the best TC mod available. Thought maybe I should at least try it with stainless steel.

Andria

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
thx Hank! Ok now... is this like titanium, where you really need it to be pretty low sub-ohm? and it's very flimsy, like Ti? I'm trying to figure out the right gauge to get, because I really don't know -- I normally use 29ga kanthal.

Andria

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thx Hank! Ok now... is this like titanium, where you really need it to be pretty low sub-ohm? and it's very flimsy, like Ti? I'm trying to figure out the right gauge to get, because I really don't know -- I normally use 29ga kanthal.

Andria
I'd get 26g. 28g is too soft for me to wick it by itself

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'd get 26g. 28g is too soft for me to wick it by itself

Ok sounds good -- I'm checking it out in Steam Engine, and that is what looks right to me, too. Looks like 6 wraps around 3/32 will put me somewhere between .3 and .4 ohms. If that resistance ends up being too high, then I could do 5 wraps.

Andria

ETA: actually at that price, I might get some 28ga too, and see if I like it for wattage-mode vaping; 10 wraps of 28ga would put me right around 1 ohm.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok sounds good -- I'm checking it out in Steam Engine, and that is what looks right to me, too. Looks like 6 wraps around 3/32 will put me somewhere between .3 and .4 ohms. If that resistance ends up being too high, then I could do 5 wraps.

Andria

ETA: actually at that price, I might get some 28ga too, and see if I like it for wattage-mode vaping; 10 wraps of 28ga would put me right around 1 ohm.
I really wouldn't bother with the 28g. If you're doing single coils, you might want to give 24g a try. A 10wrap coil around a 3mm bit in 24g is gonna be around .4ish

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Andria

Also, you don't have to hit it with a damn torch before you use it. Build your coil. Install. Dry fire, in pulses. Don't let it glow too much. When it looks like it's firing good & even, you're good to go.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I really wouldn't bother with the 28g. If you're doing single coils, you might want to give 24g a try. A 10wrap coil around a 3mm bit in 24g is gonna be around .4ish

Hmm, 3mm coil is too fat for me, I'm well-accustomed to 3/32, which looks to be about 2.38mm. I find the most difficulty in chaging the ID of a coil, you have to figure out the right amount of wick to use, and that's a lot harder than just wrapping some wire around something.

But if I was gonna try stainless in wattage mode, I'd want to be pretty close to 1 ohm, rather than sub-ohm.

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I do. Wanna throw in a boiling pot with some Zatarains and Cayenne Pepper. MMM. Dats good!
Zatarains? I thought that was something us northerners used to pretend we knew what southern cooking was. You mean it really is southern food?

And I don't want to get crabs from the pot. If I'm gonna get crabs I want to at least enjoy the experience that leads to it.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hey, you TC fans.... where's the cheapest place to get 'stainless steel 316' wire? Per the specs in my CF4-18650 handbook. I tried it with Ti, wasn't impressed, but from all I've heard, that Evic-VT isn't the best TC mod available. Thought maybe I should at least try it with stainless steel.

Andria

I also have an Evic VT. It will do Ni & Ti temp control but I dont think it can do SS. I been waiting for them to give it an upgrade but havent seen one for it yet.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Zatarains? I thought that was something us northerners used to pretend we knew what southern cooking was. You mean it really is southern food?

And I don't want to get crabs from the pot. If I'm gonna get crabs I want to at least enjoy the experience that leads to it.
No the Zatarain's crab boil is good!!!!! It's not Yankee food. :sneaka:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Keep in mind Andria, that most TC mods want .5 ohm or higher to run 316L in TC mode. The cheaper the mod, the more squirrelly it gets under .5, at least in my experience.

Ok, so it doesn't need to be super-low sub-ohm, as with Ti or Ni? good to know! So maybe I'll just go with 28ga.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You're gonna be cussing yourself for not trying sooner btw

Well hell I just got the CF4-18650 this week! :D I tried titanium way back when I hit my first no-smoke-a-versary last July, and I was completely underwhelmed -- little flavor, zero TH, just completely MEH. But maybe that was because a) titanium, and b) Evic-VT.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also have an Evic VT. It will do Ni & Ti temp control but I dont think it can do SS. I been waiting for them to give it an upgrade but havent seen one for it yet.

I got rid of the Evic-VT about a week after I got it! Don't you remember? I thought Ti temp control COMPLETELY SUCKED. But now I have a CF4-18650.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok, so it doesn't need to be super-low sub-ohm, as with Ti or Ni? good to know! So maybe I'll just go with 28ga.

Andria

Really you going to want 24 or 26 awg. With anything higher its a real bitch to get a decent ohm reading. With SS316L 6 wraps of 24ga will give me around .35 ohms. The same 6 wraps of 26 awg will give me 1.1 ohms. With 28 ga it will be 1.7 ohms. All depends on what you want but a faster ramp up vape you should be at a lower ohms in my opinion.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Really you going to want 24 or 26 awg. With anything higher its a real bitch to get a decent ohm reading. With SS316L 6 wraps of 24ga will give me around .35 ohms. The same 6 wraps of 26 awg will give me 1.1 ohms. With 28 ga it will be 1.7 ohms. All depends on what you want but a faster ramp up vape you should be at a lower ohms in my opinion.

Umm... I'm looking at Steam-Engine, and with SS316L, I have to use 28ga and 10 wraps, just to get to right around 1 ohm! And Mooie said it needs to be between .5 and 1 ohm, for TC with stainless. With 28ga, 7 wraps would be right around .7Ω.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's so cheap... I think I'll go ahead and get both 26ga and 28ga.... if the 28ga gives me too high resistance for TC, maybe i can use it for wattage mode, 10-11 wraps isn't too bad; I'm currently doing 9 wraps of kanthal, to hit 2Ω.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Umm... I'm looking at Steam-Engine, and with SS316L, I have to use 28ga and 10 wraps, just to get to right around 1 ohm! And Mooie said it needs to be between .5 and 1 ohm, for TC with stainless. With 28ga, 7 wraps would be right around .7Ω.

Andria

I been making 4mm coils in all my stuff recently and my calculations is based on that so mileage on smaller coils may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors