Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like using stainless steel wire. I also like using Kanthal wire. Each have their positives & negatives. Difficult for me to rationalize a preference over wire type used. Of course, it is difficult for me finding rationalization for preference in most all things. *chuckles* That's alright though. I'm happy in most, if not all cases anyway. :)

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I live in a town of about 1800, so you can imagine that they aren't really too fast on getting out there and fixing stuff quickly.
Small town here also, 1861 according to the last official Census data. But I can't remember it ever going out and needing to call them int the whole time I've had them. Used to have occasional minor issues, but that was back before CenturyLink. Around here, it was GTE when I first got DSL at this house, then Sprint, then Embarq, now Centurylink, and I think the only time I had issues was when they were Embarq.

That's why I said it seems to depend where you are, just like Comcast is great in some parts of the country, and sucks in others.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Significantly longer ramp up time compared to 28, and its needing a higher temp than I really enjoy. Really makes the taste of fresh wicking stand out :(

Think I'll stick with the 28 awg, as I have no complaints with it

good morning gang, and GFY. :) Don't try 30 then, Lucy. You'll be tossing a lot of 28. I've always been a fan of the very thin wire. Heats and cools damn near instantly.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Significantly longer ramp up time compared to 28, and its needing a higher temp than I really enjoy. Really makes the taste of fresh wicking stand out :(

2 10 wrap 2.4 mm 26GA ss316l on top of Chester are a nice just slightly warm vape in the atty that came with Chester.
.35 ohm total.
Do not use the drip tip that came with the atty.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I like using stainless steel wire. I also like using Kanthal wire. Each have their positives & negatives. Difficult for me to rationalize a preference over wire type used. Of course, it is difficult for me finding rationalization for preference in most all things. *chuckles* That's alright though. I'm happy in most, if not all cases anyway. :)

That's very much as I feel; I do like SS wire, it far outperforms any previous expectations of vaping. However, there are times when I just can't handle vaping of that intensity -- right now being one of them, since I just got up and started vaping. So I'm using a kanthal-coiled atty; in fact, I'm using the Achilles 2; when I got up and looked at it, where I had left it, off a mod, lying on its side on the counter, it had leaked less than I expected, so perhaps, for short-term usage when I don't need to fill it to its full capacity, it will do.

Plus, there's the fact that I just bought another 100' spool of kanthal, when I hadn't even started on my 2nd 50' spool. :D I plan to get a 100' spool of 28ga SS too.

And hey g'mornin' my fugee peeps, and GFYs merrily! I'm up so early because I was so depressed last night, I retired a little earlier than usual.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I didn't notice the ramp-up time, just the excessive heat. But I'm a bit surprised it's a problem for you, since you like it a bit airier now; I figured the extra airflow would cool it. Tasting the cotton wick is precisely why I've decided against using the SS in TC mode; that 25w ramp-up is just too much power and heat for the extremely tight draw of my Achilles attys, so I'll just stick with wattage mode, though with SS I need 12-12.5w rather than 9.5-10w.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Tasting the cotton wick is precisely why I've decided against using the SS in TC mode; that 25w ramp-up is just too much power and heat for the extremely tight draw of my Achilles attys, so I'll just stick with wattage mode, though with SS I need 12-12.5w rather than 9.5-10w.

Andria

Try rayon as your wick. It is a much cleaner vaping experience. Learning to wick using it isn't too difficult either. Rayon doesn't contaminate flavors and releases the juice nearly instantly unto the coil. Unless you make a bit of mistake using it, it will not burn.

I made the dummy mistake. You need to pack the coil full of rayon, trim the ends, thin them out in a cascade. I had left a big gap between wick and coil, the wick burnt. Now, I have got how to do it down fairly well. A few times of trail and error help learning.

Of course, I still spot check it and work it to where it needs to be. If there's discoloring on one side you need to trim out the opposite side. The opposite will be drawing too much juice up through itself. Rayon contracts when juice gets in it, it forces out all the air in the material. The wick becomes supersaturate. That's what makes it pop, letting you know it is working.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Try rayon as your wick. It is a much cleaner vaping experience. Learning to wick using it isn't too difficult either. Rayon doesn't contaminate flavors and releases the juice nearly instantly unto the coil. Unless you make a bit of mistake using it, it will not burn.

I made the dummy mistake. You need to pack the coil full of rayon, trim the ends, thin them out in a cascade. I had left a big gap between wick and coil, the wick burnt. Now, I have got how to do it down fairly well. A few times of trail and error help learning.

Of course, I still spot check it and work it to where it needs to be. If there's discoloring on one side you need to trim out the opposite side. The opposite will be drawing too much juice up through itself. Rayon contracts when juice gets in it, it forces out all the air in the material. The wick becomes supersaturate. That's what makes it pop, letting you know it is working.

I can't abide the taste of rayon. If you ever get a really burnt hit with rayon, you'll realize that compared to that, burnt cotton tastes GOOD. Having once gotten a burnt hit with rayon, now, if I vape rayon at all, that's what I taste, and it nearly makes me gag. That's why I use Shiseido cotton.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
2 10 wrap 2.4 mm 26GA ss316l on top of Chester are a nice just slightly warm vape in the atty that came with Chester.
.35 ohm total.
Do not use the drip tip that came with the atty.

2 strands of 28 awg in a single coil round a 3 mm ID, 5 wraps to give me 0.6 ohms. The coil is resting in a Velocity V2. It is doing well enough to suit me. :) I have two single strand 28 awg coils that combined will net 0.7 ohms which might go on the deck later, or not.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can't abide the taste of rayon. If you ever get a really burnt hit with rayon, you'll realize that compared to that, burnt cotton tastes GOOD. Having once gotten a burnt hit with rayon, now, if I vape rayon at all, that's what I taste, and it nearly makes me gag. That's why I use Shiseido cotton.

Andria

Fair enough. I've tasted the burnt rayon too. Agree that it is rather nasty. *chuckles* I've also tasted some really nice Hawk Sauce using rayon. It suits me, doesn't need to suit you. Thought it might be something to try. I see you've done so. That's what I like in vaping, reminds me of Linux. Everyone has their own choice and there is plenty of choice. :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Try rayon as your wick.

I taste rayon too easily on flavor attys. I liked it on the Goon, then about gagged on my other attys. Tried breaking one in, at the end of the second day I couldn't take it anymore, lol

Now GFY

And the rest of you Fugees too!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fair enough. I've tasted the burnt rayon too. Agree that it is rather nasty. *chuckles* I've also tasted some really nice Hawk Sauce using rayon. It suits me, doesn't need to suit you. Thought it might be something to try. I see you've done so. That's what I like in vaping, reminds me of Linux. Everyone has their own choice and there is plenty of choice. :)

Mt Baker sent me some of that Hawk Sauce once when I ordered a mod from them.... I couldn't even stand the SMELL of it; it stayed in my drawer for long enough to stink it up completely, though I threw it out months ago. :blech:

Andria

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Mt Baker sent me some of that Hawk Sauce once when I ordered a mod from them.... I couldn't even stand the SMELL of it; it stayed in my drawer for long enough to stink it up completely, though I threw it out months ago. :blech:

Andria
My old boss was crazy about hawk sauce and thug juice from Mt baker. I've never cared for any Mt baker flavors personally. Too chemically taste for me..he hit those on q mech mod in 12mg too. But he was dumb. I saw him one day trying to rebuild his rda with picture hanging wire or copper wire he found in the hardware department at home depot. I was like dude. You gotta be kidding me. Coated picture hanging wire, or copper. That's what you came up with? He didn't get why that was a bad idea.....

So for ever after when I hear mount baker that's what I think of

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Well better than using a paper clip.
Maybe.

As I have said any idiot can smoke but it takes a wee bit of smarts to vape.
Amazing he hasn't blown himself up yet. No ohm meter just put together some plastic coated mystery metal on a mech mod and see what happens...

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Andria
As @MorelyMagicMist pointed out, as vapers, we gots lots of choices to match our tastes. Hawk Sauce is one of my standards, always have a big bottle on-hand. That you didn't like it only says that you didn't like it. Which is awesomely OK. :)

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I strongly agree! CenturyLink is what I have to use as it is all that is available in my town *sigh*

And good morning everyone!
You poor soul. :)
I live in a town of about 1800, so you can imagine that they aren't really too fast on getting out there and fixing stuff quickly.
I live in the country. They don't even care if the electricity goes out. That's why I have a generator now.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Y'all can go GFY now. Got a fair start on a story today. Aiming to let it write itself as a novel. Picking back up my old horror story and doing a complete rewrite of it.

Wife read a few of the short stories I had been doing. She disliked them being chunky, too little there. Told me to go ahead and work toward novel length to avoid the 'rush' and constraint of short stories.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As @MorelyMagicMist pointed out, as vapers, we gots lots of choices to match our tastes. Hawk Sauce is one of my standards, always have a big bottle on-hand. That you didn't like it only says that you didn't like it. Which is awesomely OK. :)
I have never ordered anything from Mt Baker. When I first started vaping, they had a notice on their front web page stating ( I cannot remember the exact words) how very "busy" they are and customers needed to be more patient. Basically they would get the juice when they get it. That was a real turnoff for me. So, I never went back or considered getting anything from them. I don't care how good it is. Aroma is actually my favorite place. Their blueberry pancake WTA is out of this world! But, like you said, it's a matter of each individual taste.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My old boss was crazy about hawk sauce and thug juice from Mt baker. I've never cared for any Mt baker flavors personally. Too chemically taste for me..he hit those on q mech mod in 12mg too. But he was dumb. I saw him one day trying to rebuild his rda with picture hanging wire or copper wire he found in the hardware department at home depot. I was like dude. You gotta be kidding me. Coated picture hanging wire, or copper. That's what you came up with? He didn't get why that was a bad idea.....

So for ever after when I hear mount baker that's what I think of

Heh... Actually when I first had the idea of building coils, we checked Home Depot, but they had no idea what kanthal wire is, nevermind having any. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yeah I'm really not crazy of any tobacco flavors anymore, with just a few very rare exceptions -- the very sweet cherry-vanilla pipe tobacco flavor I created, and the Smocha I created.... but anything remotely like a cigarette, UGH.

The amazing thing is that had literally FORGOTTEN how awful I thought cigarettes tasted when I first started smoking; after 39 yrs of smoking, I thought they tasted great! But it didn't take long to completely lose that acquired taste.

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never ordered anything from Mt Baker. When I first started vaping, they had a notice on their front web page stating ( I cannot remember the exact words) how very "busy" they are and customers needed to be more patient. Basically they would get the juice when they get it. That was a real turnoff for me. So, I never went back or considered getting anything from them. I don't care how good it is. Aroma is actually my favorite place. Their blueberry pancake WTA is out of this world! But, like you said, it's a matter of each individual taste.
Now I want blueberry pancakes dammit! Hmmm, OK, blueberry pancakes for breakfast it is.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I taste rayon too easily on flavor attys. I liked it on the Goon, then about gagged on my other attys. Tried breaking one in, at the end of the second day I couldn't take it anymore, lol

Now GFY

And the rest of you Fugees too!

I have even determined, just this morning, that the stainless causes me to taste the cotton too much, even at my low wattage. Re-coiled my "best" Achilles just now, with kanthal. So maybe I don't need to order anymore SS wire after all. :)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

And Aroma's blueberry pancake WTA is what got my asthma so bad, I'm still trying to recover from it, 2 entire yrs later. I now know that this "popcorn lung" thing is mostly a make-believe bugaboo thought up by Tobacco ConTroll, but at the time, it made me seriously question buying ANY ejuice, so I started making my own. I reckon it was just the extremely-high VG that affected me so badly.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah I'm really not crazy of any tobacco flavors anymore, with just a few very rare exceptions -- the very sweet cherry-vanilla pipe tobacco flavor I created, and the Smocha I created.... but anything remotely like a cigarette, UGH.

The amazing thing is that had literally FORGOTTEN how awful I thought cigarettes tasted when I first started smoking; after 39 yrs of smoking, I thought they tasted great! But it didn't take long to completely lose that acquired taste.

Andria
I still to this day LOVE the smell of a fresh cigarette. I did have a "puff" off a friends about 7 months ago, and it was good. So, I don't know if I will ever hate that taste or smell. The old cig smell in clothes is yucky, but the fresh smells good to me.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank God for the Iowa house. I had a spare cloupor mini here. WOOT! A one handed vape again!

For a Ducati rep, they sure left a lot of the BIKE out of the shot... the last 2 miles of this beauty's legs too..
498063.jpg

Last edited:

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My last order through them was a hassle, since they implemented some whacky age-verification system that took days to process through. Other than that, I've had no real issues with them on my orders - other than the USPS being part of the process, and we all know how that can go... :cuss2:
Other than the menthols, I try to stay away from anything tobacco-flavored as well. But there is a local house brand that makes a Black Honey Tobacco that I really enjoy.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Thank God for the Iowa house. I had a spare coupon mini here. WOOT! A one handed vape again!

For a Ducati rep, they sure left a lot of the BIKE or of the shot... the last 2 miles of rods beauty's legs too..
View attachment 58860
Awesome pic moo!
And Aroma's blueberry pancake WTA is what got my asthma so bad, I'm still trying to recover from it, 2 entire yrs later. I now know that this "popcorn lung" thing is mostly a make-believe bugaboo thought up by Tobacco ConTroll, but at the time, it made me seriously question buying ANY ejuice, so I started making my own. I reckon it was just the extremely-high VG that affected me so badly.

Andria
Yea I'm sure that's what it was. I mix mine with pg

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Other than the menthols, I try to stay away from anything tobacco-flavored as well. But there is a local house brand that makes a Black Honey Tobacco that I really enjoy.

I always heard the epithet "stinkweed" applied to tobacco... and now I finally understand WHY. :D

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My last order through them was a hassle, since they implemented some whacky age-verification system that took days to process through. Other than that, I've had no real issues with them on my orders - other than the USPS being part of the process, and we all know how that can go... :cuss2:

Wow. I've never had to do that. But I live in Texas.

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Andria
They tasted great only because your brain made them taste great because it got you nicotine. As soon as you get your nicotine elsewhere, the illusion is gone. Same reason why a drug addict likes the taste of their drug, because the brain associates the taste with the feeling until it tastes good. But if there were no feeling, it'd just taste like shit I'd say...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I did too, but I couldn't get it any better than 75PG/25VG and still have enough WTA in it to help me. When I finally started buying the unflavored from Wholecig, 25mg, and could add it as 10% of my vape and still have the vape at 85PG/15VG, finally I had something I could vape without risk of extreme asthma attack. But my asthma has continued to improve, since I've been off the WTA.

I confess though, I was so horribly depressed last night, I added 2 drops of WTA to my Achilles. It helped!

Andria

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome pic moo!

Thank you, Falala.. I actually have a million scenery shots, but the ones I am most fond of are the pretty girls that want something from me, so I make em pose with me. Hahaha... They are all great sports about it. It's just having fun. The Ducati demo was fertile ground, they brought a dozen or so, all gorgeous, tall and thin. They asked me how I wanted my picture. I was very polite, obviously. Backwards sitting on the tank with legs around my neck would actually have been preferable though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors