Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That shit over LA looks like one of those godawful supercells. Just be glad it's not spinning around really fast!!! :D

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well guys, i am fucked. Water in the house deeper than the base boards now. Creek backed up, flooded what ever, either way, i am fucked :(

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Had to go get my guns out of the cabinet and on the bed. All I need for them to be destroyed.

They wouldnt give me flood insurance here but its cool. I was just barely in the flood plain here. But guess that is what FEMA is for.

Its actually funny in some regards. I just watched the cat pan float by :giggle:

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The natural history of the west is fascinating to me... especially when you consider the VAST magma chamber underneath it all. But just recently I got completely lost in the history of the Salton Sea.... I think what fascinates me is that the land seems to be static, unchanging... but in the west, you can clearly see that that is NOT the case; it changes radically, but at a pace that humans can't really grasp easily. But when it does happen fast... well... San Francisco in 1906 comes to mind.

Andria

I was really perplexed by how something like that can form. I took the full walk around the base, read all the plaques. At one time, the whole area was at that height. The Belle Fourche river, over millenia, coursed all around it, and it was just part luck and part tough assed composition that left it standing as it is. It is religious holy ground for the local Native population, and many trees are adorned with ornate prayer cloths and such. SUPER cool stuff.

Another hiker told me the Native legend is that some girls were being attacked by a giant bear or bears, and the gods raised the earth to save them. The deep vertical fissures in the rock are from the claws. I can see it. ;)

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You're in Kentucky, right? There's another godawful weather system that stretches from SW of St Louis all the way to Chicago and beyond, but it's clearly a front, almost a straight line; if that's the system supposed to dump on you, it may well peter out before it gets there.

Andria
Yes kentucky. I believe they said this system is coming from roundabout Louisiana/ the gulf. Don't quote me on that though

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was really perplexed by how something like that can form. I took the full walk around the base, read all the plaques. At one time, the whole area was at that height. The Belle Fourche river, over millenia, coursed all around it, and it was just part luck and part tough assed composition that left it standing as it is. It is religious holy ground for the local Native population, and many trees are adorned with ornate prayer cloths and such. SUPER cool stuff.

The spires in Monument Valley give me a similar feeling -- imagine that entire valley under water, and those spires were tiny islands! I'd love to visit there.

Another place that fascinates me, though I could never visit there, is White Sands. I'm extremely allergic to gypsum, and that's all there is, there. I read a sci-fi book many years ago which had that whole place as a sheet of glass, post-nuke.

Andria

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Had to go get my guns out of the cabinet and on the bed. All I need for them to be destroyed.

They wouldnt give me flood insurance here but its cool. I was just barely in the flood plain here. But guess that is what FEMA is for.

Its actually funny in some regards. I just watched the cat pan float by :giggle:

GOD yes, save the guns. Sorry to hear about the kitty's commode. Be careful when you replace that litter. It can cost ya dearly I hear.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes kentucky. I believe they said this system is coming from roundabout Louisiana/ the gulf. Don't quote me on that though

Ah, so the one that's currently flooding chopdoc has you as its next destination. Maybe it'll rain itself out before it gets there.

In 2009, there was a whole bunch of those massive cells from the west, and also a lot of hurricane activity in the mid-atlantic, and Atlanta got it from both sides.... Six Flags was 6 ft under water. But that's SW of the city, where it's flatter, and I'm 25 miles to the NE, more into the hill country, so water here doesn't tend to flood, unless it's just a fast flashflood; it just runs on down the hill, mostly.

Andria

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Ah, so the one that's currently flooding chopdoc has you as its next destination. Maybe it'll rain itself out before it gets there.

In 2009, there was a whole bunch of those massive cells from the west, and also a lot of hurricane activity in the mid-atlantic, and Atlanta got it from both sides.... Six Flags was 6 ft under water. But that's SW of the city, where it's flatter, and I'm 25 miles to the NE, more into the hill country, so water here doesn't tend to flood, unless it's just a fast flashflood; it just runs on down the hill, mostly.

Andria
Thankfully I live on top of a large hill so we're normally safe, although louisville in general, being in the Ohio River Valley, is fairly prone to flooding. You can ride around town and see historical "high water" signs at the tops of telephone poles from the massive flood in the 30s

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thankfully I live on top of a large hill so we're normally safe, although louisville in general, being in the Ohio River Valley, is fairly prone to flooding. You can ride around town and see historical "high water" signs at the tops of telephone poles from the massive flood in the 30s

I've driven thru there once, in bad weather actually, but in the winter. I remember it was raining in Louisville, but the further north we went, it turned to snow. When we got to Indianapolis where my husband has family, there was a foot of snow on the ground, the whole city just covered. it was a day or two after xmas, in 1988.

Andria

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've driven thru there once, in bad weather actually, but in the winter. I remember it was raining in Louisville, but the further north we went, it turned to snow. When we got to Indianapolis where my husband has family, there was a foot of snow on the ground, the whole city just covered. it was a day or two after xmas, in 1988.

Andria
We had a massive blizzard not too long after that in 94. Although we've also had some extreme winter weather these past few years as well (that polar vortex!)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's why I refused to give my son Ritalin. I told his teacher he was a square peg, and she could just deal with it. :D

Andria

I was on that for about four weeks. Mom learned what it was, what it did. Come right off of it. She told the pediatrician what prescribed it he would have better luck licking his own ass a'fore she kept bringing her kids to him. He never gave anything the schools suggested again to "calm down hyperactive kids". In fact, recall he wrote a rather scathing letter to all the local schools about no longer doing such a thing. The drug company rep through a fit. He told them they could talk to my mom, they declined.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was on that for about four weeks. Mom learned what it was, what it did. Come right off of it. She told the pediatrician what prescribed it he would have better luck licking his own ass a'fore she kept bringing her kids to him. He never gave anything the schools suggested again to "calm down hyperactive kids". In fact, recall he wrote a rather scathing letter to all the local schools about no longer doing such a thing. The drug company rep through a fit. He told them they could talk to my mom, they declined.

My son really wasn't even hyper, he had a very normal activity level for a healthy growing kid, but he had really bad ADD. I didn't see that as a reason to drug him into being "average." He's a fucking genius, there's nothing average about him! :facepalm:

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
My son really wasn't even hyper, he had a very normal activity level for a healthy growing kid, but he had really bad ADD. I didn't see that as a reason to drug him into being "average." He's a fucking genius, there's nothing average about him! :facepalm:

Andria

That was a very wise decision.

I have met many a recovering sp**d fr**k who say they started as kids on ritalin

WTF FDA

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That was a very wise decision.

I have met many a recovering sp**d fr**k who say they started as kids on ritalin

WTF FDA

When I heard that it acted on the brain in the same way as that white powder that triggers the dopamine buzz, i said No Way Jose, not only no but FUCK NO! He had to struggle to get his work done, but he managed to graduated with a decent average, about 3.2 I think. I never got any work done that a teacher didn't chase me down for, or hell, go to school half the time in my Sr year, and somehow managed a 2.3 GPA. :D I was an underachiever before it was cool, or they knew that it was called ADD. :D

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Holy cow, got that baby Goon modded for bf tonight.

I might have to get another one....

Bah. I see how you are. "Let me rub shiny in Morely's face, he won't mind." Been thinking on getting a Goon or two just to BF them.

First though, I need to get some nicotine, wire. Finally ran out of my 50' of Kanthal. Might buy 100' of 28awg, another 100' of 26awg Kanthal. Also need beyond a doubt a new ohm meter.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Andria

Mom told the school they could get me a councilor. This was when I met a lady who really got me squared away. Carrol saw what the biggest problem was and diplomatically got me into a few different special programs. The main thing for her was to ensure I had a safety net, reading, writing, communication.

I had read all our grammar school had by third grade, the librarians there run me through junior school library, then high school library. Carrol suggested I read from the one or two of the local college libraries. There was a lot of flack over that, yet they acquiesced.

Also got put into classes which helped with maths, though that was not my strength. Later on I was tricked into doing trigonometry via blueprint reading, displacement measurement, volume/s, density/ies in our welding course in high school. If I can take my time, feel relaxed in doing it, I could possibly do some of that still. I know enough to go look up what I don't recall, or understand.

There was also experimental behavior modification instruction going on as well, each step of the way. It became most obvious and directed under a teacher who seemed to draw all kinds of threats for her methods. She taught a bunch of loser kids to take more control over their emotions, or lack of them. We learned it was alright to get angry, even get pissed off. Yes, it's fine, just don't act out violently against a person or animal. She allowed us to punch walls. Better something inanimate and non-sentient.

Had a principle tell mom I was emotionally stunted and stupid. The door to his office closed. A few minutes later he come out, white, apologized to me for suggesting I was in any way stupid. He never spoke any more than civil greetings to me after that. Asked mom once what she had told him. She said the truth. "That boy is far more imaginative and capable of solving any problem than you or anyone in this state, bet he survives a nuclear bomb and pisses on your grave. Hell, he might launch it himself just to see if he can."

It never interests me enough to bother with that.

Switching gears fully. I hope everyone in bad areas presently keeps safe & well. Want to call out to everyone to understand we are our own heroes, heroines, rescue crews. If you're more able and see those less able don't hesitate to do what is needed, extend help freely and without desiring any reward or payment. Fuck politics, religion, skin color, nationality, sexual orientation, affluence or lack of it. When all of us go to the grave, death don't give a shit about any of these.

If death doesn't care about them, why should we care about them in life? To not help, to not love that is the greatest of all sins. No, I'm not talking simply human love here. Yes that's part of it. We need though to come together in divine, unconditional love. All the power mongers will never help anyone except themselves. Do think we can see this now in full light. Love one another, take up a sense of duty to aid brothers and sisters, when and where you best can.

It is time now we all awake to being one and one being all.

*steps down, kicks the box and watches as it shatters while skidding away*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Looks like it time to cradle a baby Goon......:vino:

Don't listen to that nymph, Lucy. I think Spanky arranged she gets a cut for being a Goon salesperson. Watch how she manages to fit it in, even with accidental anal dolphin sex and painting watercolor pictures. If I had half her mind, well, erm, wait that's no good minds get lost in my hands. If I had half her wit, damn it no good either. Well if I could sell things half as good as her, could sell deep freezes to Inuits near the North Pole.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Don't listen to that nymph, Lucy. I think Spanky arranged she gets a cut for being a Goon salesperson. Watch how she manages to fit it in, even with accidental anal dolphin sex and painting watercolor pictures. If I had half her mind, well, erm, wait that's no good minds get lost in my hands. If I had half her wit, damn it no good either. Well if I could sell things half as good as her, could sell deep freezes to Inuits near the North Pole.

Morley, they say every dog will have his day; the Goon is Hank's day :giggle:

I actually got my first on Modded by Apex just to cheese Spanky. Little did I know, it would be a rabbit hole, lol

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well guys, i am fucked. Water in the house deeper than the base boards now. Creek backed up, flooded what ever, either way, i am fucked :(

Well guys, had to evacuate. Two foot of water in the house now. Staying at my mom's house now and will Check in when I can. Cat and dog evacuated with me

That stinks doc, sorry to hear it. Glad you had somewhere to go to stay dry, and take the animals with, but sorry to hear about the flooded house.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Andria
A foot? You say that as if it is a lot. Let me tell you what it's like if you head a bit further North than Indy, towards my neck of the woods:

Published on Feb 22, 2015
New Carlisle, the unofficial snow capital of Indiana, gets an average of 95 inches of snow every year -- nearly four times the amount of snow that falls in Indianapolis.
By Saturday, the day before the official start of winter and ending a week when a coating of snow and ice rocked Central Indiana with school closings and traffic nightmares, New Carlisle had recorded about 32 inches this season, and it takes an awful lot of snow to close the schools.
"If I had to guess, I would say somewhere over 20-plus inches might require a closing, but it's all in the timing," said Philip Bender, superintendent of New Prairie Schools. "It really depends when it falls. If it falls overnight, we can get to school with a two-hour delay."
Situated in a rare pocket east and south of Lake Michigan, New Carlisle has the distinction of getting hit with monster snows that blow off the lake in two directions.
"New Carlisle is in the not-so-enviable location of having lake-effect snow from a northwesterly wind and a westerly wind," said Rick Mecklenburg, the weatherman on WSBT-TV in South Bend, where they get 76 inches per year, almost 20 fewer inches than New Carlisle, even though they are just 10 miles to the east.
Longtime residents in this town of 1,500 recall there was once a sign on U.S. 20 that informed motorists of the town's distinction as the "snow capital of Indiana," but that sign is long gone, and nobody seems to know where it went."

This picture? Just another day in the Lake-effect region.
e36ab2c0-1a8c-4051-abc1-0de86a73c257-large16x9_Winterstorm.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Trade that football helmet in for a tanker's helmet: comes in OD and has the cool headset and mike built-in. :giggle:

That would be nice. :) Then, I could take command of the flying yeti. Oh wait, I wasn't supposed to mention flying yeti. Let me confound everyone with the words Kardasian & New And Improved. No one will ever recall I mentioned flying yet. Whew, that was close.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A foot? You say that as if it is a lot. Let me tell you what it's like if you head a bit further North than Indy, towards my neck of the woods:

Published on Feb 22, 2015
New Carlisle, the unofficial snow capital of Indiana, gets an average of 95 inches of snow every year -- nearly four times the amount of snow that falls in Indianapolis.
By Saturday, the day before the official start of winter and ending a week when a coating of snow and ice rocked Central Indiana with school closings and traffic nightmares, New Carlisle had recorded about 32 inches this season, and it takes an awful lot of snow to close the schools.
"If I had to guess, I would say somewhere over 20-plus inches might require a closing, but it's all in the timing," said Philip Bender, superintendent of New Prairie Schools. "It really depends when it falls. If it falls overnight, we can get to school with a two-hour delay."
Situated in a rare pocket east and south of Lake Michigan, New Carlisle has the distinction of getting hit with monster snows that blow off the lake in two directions.
"New Carlisle is in the not-so-enviable location of having lake-effect snow from a northwesterly wind and a westerly wind," said Rick Mecklenburg, the weatherman on WSBT-TV in South Bend, where they get 76 inches per year, almost 20 fewer inches than New Carlisle, even though they are just 10 miles to the east.
Longtime residents in this town of 1,500 recall there was once a sign on U.S. 20 that informed motorists of the town's distinction as the "snow capital of Indiana," but that sign is long gone, and nobody seems to know where it went."

This picture? Just another day in the Lake-effect region.
e36ab2c0-1a8c-4051-abc1-0de86a73c257-large16x9_Winterstorm.jpg
After seeing all these pics, I'll never complain again about scorpions. High and dry here

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After seeing all the se pics, I'll never complain again about scorpions. High and dry here
LOL! Now admittedly, this is only a small part of the year here. And even when it's snowing it doesn't usually look as bad as that picture. But, yeah 90+ inches of snow per winter is normal, and areas even 20 miles away don't get half that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors