ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
GFY everyone. Not gonna say good morning, because, well, it is not. Went down to my basement, which is just a crappy unfinished partial basement (maybe 600 sq ft?) surrounded by a crawlspace, so I don't go down there often. But I did this morning. And it's always a great way to start the day when you discover that the floor around the water heater is damp.:gaah:

Well, I guess a new water heater is in my near future. So I start looking, and thinking maybe I should replace it with one of the tankless ones. Only to find multiple comments about how they need to be on an outside wall for venting. Ummm, why can't I mount it in the center of the basement where the old one was and use the already existing vent? So now I'm confused. If I hafta reroute gas and water lines then screw it, I'm getting another tank. I just assumed it could vent through the same vent pipes that are already there.

Money I didn't really have or want to spend right now, but hot water is kinda a necessity, and who knows how long before the bottom falls out of the old one.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GFY everyone. Not gonna say good morning, because, well, it is not. Went down to my basement, which is just a crappy unfinished partial basement (maybe 600 sq ft?) surrounded by a crawlspace, so I don't go down there often. But I did this morning. And it's always a great way to start the day when you discover that the floor around the water heater is damp.:gaah:

Well, I guess a new water heater is in my near future. So I start looking, and thinking maybe I should replace it with one of the tankless ones. Only to find multiple comments about how they need to be on an outside wall for venting. Ummm, why can't I mount it in the center of the basement where the old one was and use the already existing vent? So now I'm confused. If I hafta reroute gas and water lines then screw it, I'm getting another tank. I just assumed it could vent through the same vent pipes that are already there.

Money I didn't really have or want to spend right now, but hot water is kinda a necessity, and who knows how long before the bottom falls out of the old one.
Yep the gas tankless have to be on an outside wall.
And they cost about twice as much as a tank type.
then you have to spend about 150 on the special vent kit.

Get a pink water heater they are best.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey guys, just doing a drive by. Water receded this evening and from what it looks like it was a total loss. Over 2 foot of water got into the house and car. Staying at my mom's with my pets for now. Looks like a few months before my house will be livable again :(
We are actually lucky, many lost far more than we did and guess
It was a lesson in life to never get too attached to material things :(

Will be around when I can, vape on and thanks for all the well wishes. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ah shit. Sorry to hear it, Doc. You're on a run of bad luck, for sure. I hope that changes spectacularly for you.

I can commiserate. A few years ago, one of my water heaters malfunctioned and spewed a ton of soot. The HVAC system picked it all up and distributed throught the whole house. Much of what we owned got ruined beyond proper repair. Strangers came and handled every damn thing we own in the sorting of what was salvageable and what was not. And helped themselves to quite a bit too in the process. Day laborers. It was a nightmare, and we had to spend 5 months in a hotel while they sanitized the house from top to bottom, repainted, recarpeted.

Only ONE room was not affected, but the dearest to me. My wine cellar is completely sealed, has its own HVAC with backup generator, and not even a little got in there. i don't have a special rider for it, as I have so many safeguards in place. THAT would have been a major loss.

But yeah, I learned that material shit can be gone in a heartbeat, so don't get too attached. Even though Insurance is a PITA to deal with, at the end of the day it was the worlds biggest and most successful garage sale. Shit we had accumulated for 25 years all got "sold" to the insurance co and paid for.
New furniture, carpet, paint, appliances ... all stuff we were happy to get. Important docs, pictures, etc. the insurance company had to pay for very expensive restoration. In the end, we were made whole but it was a MAJOR headache.

Just as an FYI, the biggest insurance success was the liquor cabinet and pantry. We have a pretty good sized one of each, and insurance paid full retail for any bottle in the cabinet, even if it was almost empty. Same with the pantry. And the fridge and deep freeze too. The Mrs. buys everything on sale, and stocks up so we made out like fat cats on that. Clothes that we had outgrown, were too worn to really be useful, the kids baby clothes, all "paid" for.

Hopefully, you will see some of those unexpected little bonuses.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Check your pressue relief check valve. Sometimes they go bad and start to leak. Even if that is all it is, if you are on a well, it is a good idea to drain and flush your tank every couple years to eliminate some of the built up minerals in the tank.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yep the gas tankless have to be on an outside wall.
And they cost about twice as much as a tank type.
then you have to spend about 150 on the special vent kit.

Get a pink water heater they are best.

Or a gray Rheem one... that's what we got. :)

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Check your pressue relief check valve. Sometimes they go bad and start to leak. Even if that is all it is, if you are on a well, it is a good idea to drain and flush your tank every couple years to eliminate some of the built up minerals in the tank.
Thanks for the tip. No evidence of leaks from the pressure relief valve.

But now I'm even more confused. I got a light, looked under it as best I could, can't see a spot where there is even a drip. Turned on the hot water in the kitchen, let it run for a couple minutes, went back down while it was running, can't hear or see any water dripping anywhere. But there is enough moisture that I know water came from somewhere at some point in the recent past. Shouldn't I be able to locate it?

Now I'm not sure what to think. Do I buy a new one just to have in case this one craps out? I'd rather not have however many gallons of water dumped in my basement, but I'm not sure it's actually leaking after all.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

And those minerals are no joke -- we've owned our whole house filtration system for almost 5 yrs now, since just shortly after we bought the house -- the gadget on the wall, at the time we replaced the water heater back in June, informed us that almost 200 lbs of minerals had been removed from our water -- and at least 150 lbs, my husband said, was in that very old water heater. He like to NEVER got that thing outta here. At least the new one should stay nice, since the water is getting filtered before it ever gets to the water heater.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was actually thinking Rheem. Got a model number?

We also looked at a Whirlpool, but all the reviews I read about it said don't waste your money, piece of junk, etc. It was only $20 less than the Rheem, about which I could find nothing negative said, so we figured it was well worth the extra $20.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And those minerals are no joke -- we've owned our whole house filtration system for almost 5 yrs now, since just shortly after we bought the house -- the gadget on the wall, at the time we replaced the water heater back in June, informed us that almost 200 lbs of minerals had been removed from our water -- and at least 150 lbs, my husband said, was in that very old water heater. He like to NEVER got that thing outta here. At least the new one should stay nice, since the water is getting filtered before it ever gets to the water heater.

Andria
I need one of those filters. Sometimes my water is BROWN from sediment. I filter all my drinking water.
Kadly, sorry you're going through that crap!
Choppy, I'm at a loss for words. So sorry.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I need one of those filters. Sometimes my water is BROWN from sediment. I filter all my drinking water.
Kadly, sorry you're going through that crap!
Choppy, I'm at a loss for words. So sorry.

The company we got ours thru is called EkoWater, or Ecowater... not sure if they're out there, but surely someone out there carries that product. We got a hellacious deal on it -- $9k system, we got for $7k, for having their sign in our yard for 3 months. But we weren't going to sign on the dotted line till they agreed to a monthly payment we could actually handle -- they started around $199/mo, but we kept saying "No" till they got to $125/mo... at which point we looked at each other and said "y'know, we've always wanted one of these things." and got it. :D

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the tip. No evidence of leaks from the pressure relief valve.

But now I'm even more confused. I got a light, looked under it as best I could, can't see a spot where there is even a drip. Turned on the hot water in the kitchen, let it run for a couple minutes, went back down while it was running, can't hear or see any water dripping anywhere. But there is enough moisture that I know water came from somewhere at some point in the recent past. Shouldn't I be able to locate it?

Now I'm not sure what to think. Do I buy a new one just to have in case this one craps out? I'd rather not have however many gallons of water dumped in my basement, but I'm not sure it's actually leaking after all.
Did you taste the water to see if someone peed there?

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The company we got ours thru is called EkoWater, or Ecowater... not sure if they're out there, but surely someone out there carries that product. We got a hellacious deal on it -- $9k system, we got for $7k, for having their sign in our yard for 3 months. But we weren't going to sign on the dotted line till they agreed to a monthly payment we could actually handle -- they started around $199/mo, but we kept saying "No" till they got to $125/mo... at which point we looked at each other and said "y'know, we've always wanted one of these things." and got it. :D

Andria
GAHHHHHHHHHHH! 7000-9000? Oh man. Never mind.....

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
GAHHHHHHHHHHH! 7000-9000? Oh man. Never mind.....

Well yeah... it's for the entire house; the unit is attached to the water coming into the house -- the thing is about 3 and a half feet tall. ETA: Although it COULD be moved, it's essentially a permanent fixture, and as such, adds about $10k to the equity of the house.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You could improve your water quality with a couple of whole house cartridge type water filters for not very much money.

Maybe... but it wouldn't be the quality you get from this system -- even if our entire area is under a "boil all water" notice, we wouldn't have to. With the kind of things you're talking about, you'd still have to boil.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe... but it wouldn't be the quality you get from this system -- even if our entire area is under a "boil all water" notice, we wouldn't have to. With the kind of things you're talking about, you'd still have to boil.

Andria
Yep but still great for sediment and or to remove other contaminants.
A lot better than nothing.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening fugee's and GFY!!! Hope everyone had a great day.

Things are looking up here. A actually have a pair of shoes and clean change of clothes now :)

One thing an old mentor told me once. He said I was the only person he knew who could fall into a deep pile of shit and come out smelling like a rose. It might seem like karma douched me but it didnt. Last year I went thru a shit load of medical billshit when the doc cut my intestines. Way my lawyers tell me, I will end up with close to $400k tax free for that ordeal. I hurt my arm at work and went thru all this medical stuff but they found %80 blockage which could of killed me if I wasn't forced to have the chest pains looked at ( I'm notorious for ignoring medical stuff ) and with this flood there will also be a silver lining. Don't knew what yet but things always work out for the best for me. :)
Gonna try to get my computer going tomorrow. It was running when I unplugged it but did get some water in it so keep yall fingers crossed for me and I will be able to post some pics tomorrow. :)

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@kad2371 pull off the inspection covers if you can and see if you can tell if there's any moisture inside the housing or if the foam insulation on the tank is damp. Also check the incoming cold water line for condensation: sometimes in humid conditions, condensation will form on the lines and drip off.

@AndriaD If that filtration unit is reverse osmosis and has UV filtering as well, it's a good unit to have. One of my star party guys is a hiker (he's done the PCT twice, most of the Appalachian Trail once) and portable UV purification units that you drop in a water bottle are now pretty much standard for people doing those long back country hikes. Pre-filter it going into the bottle then drop the unit in for a minute and POOF! Clean, safe water.

@chopdoc , good to see that you have a positive outlook on things! For all the tribulations you've experienced, it's not hard to imagine worse outcomes than the way things have gone. :shades: Attitude goes a long way in being able to deal with what life throws at us. "The source of being upset is believing something or someone should be some other way than the way that they ARE."

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening fugee's and GFY!!! Hope everyone had a great day.

Things are looking up here. A actually have a pair of shoes and clean change of clothes now :)

One thing an old mentor told me once. He said I was the only person he knew who could fall into a deep pile of shit and come out smelling like a rose. It might seem like karma douched me but it didnt. Last year I went thru a shit load of medical billshit when the doc cut my intestines. Way my lawyers tell me, I will end up with close to $400k tax free for that ordeal. I hurt my arm at work and went thru all this medical stuff but they found %80 blockage which could of killed me if I wasn't forced to have the chest pains looked at ( I'm notorious for ignoring medical stuff ) and with this flood there will also be a silver lining. Don't knew what yet but things always work out for the best for me. :)
Gonna try to get my computer going tomorrow. It was running when I unplugged it but did get some water in it so keep yall fingers crossed for me and I will be able to post some pics tomorrow. :)

Now that's the great attitude right there!!!! Hang in there!

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Evening? It's evening already??? Still afternoon here on the Left Coast. :coffee2:
Just finished today's chores of cleaning the carpet in the van and messing with the lock on one of the sliding doors. Somebody spilled what appears to have been a mocha in the back of the van. Took two tanks of cleaner in our carpet cleaner to get most of it up. :blech: NASTY!!!

Now, some down-time before I get ready to go work a double-header. First game at 4:30; I'll be lucky if I get home before 11 tonight. :zombie:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@kad2371 pull off the inspection covers if you can and see if you can tell if there's any moisture inside the housing or if the foam insulation on the tank is damp. Also check the incoming cold water line for condensation: sometimes in humid conditions, condensation will form on the lines and drip off.

@AndriaD If that filtration unit is reverse osmosis and has UV filtering as well, it's a good unit to have. One of my star party guys is a hiker (he's done the PCT twice, most of the Appalachian Trail once) and portable UV purification units that you drop in a water bottle are now pretty much standard for people doing those long back country hikes. Pre-filter it going into the bottle then drop the unit in for a minute and POOF! Clean, safe water.

@chopdoc , good to see that you have a positive outlook on things! For all the tribulations you've experienced, it's not hard to imagine worse outcomes than the way things have gone. :shades: Attitude goes a long way in being able to deal with what life throws at us. "The source of being upset is believing something or someone should be some other way than the way that they ARE."

The main unit, for the whole house, I dunno what kind of filtration it does. There is an additional reverse osmosis unit under the kitchen sink, with a 5ga tank -- which is great when the water has to be off, still got a little bit of clean water! That unit has 3 filters; 2 of which we replace yearly, and the third more expensive one, which is replaced every 3 yrs. All we have to do for the main unit is keep pellet salt in it, which is real cheap. Thank goodness, because those filters aren't cheap; the yearly ones are $35 each, so $70 yearly for that, and the 3rd one is about $125, every 3 yrs. But it really makes a HUGE difference -- I have very coarse hair, and it always tended to the stiff & rough.... it's now a lot silkier and smoother! And the stuff on the bottoms of my stainless cookware -- now I get the chemical bluing or rainbowing, which vinegar removes PDQ, but NONE of that hard calcified shit that required a 24hr soak of vinegar to scrub off. We have extremely hard water in N GA, and this thing is a godsend.

And no more buying bottled water!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Evening? It's evening already??? Still afternoon here on the Left Coast. :coffee2:
Just finished today's chores of cleaning the carpet in the van and messing with the lock on one of the sliding doors. Somebody spilled what appears to have been a mocha in the back of the van. Took two tanks of cleaner in our carpet cleaner to get most of it up. :blech: NASTY!!!

Now, some down-time before I get ready to go work a double-header. First game at 4:30; I'll be lucky if I get home before 11 tonight. :zombie:

Not quite evening here; the mate just came in from trimming all the shrubbery, waiting for the DW's dry cycle to get in the shower, and me to start thawing the chicken breasts for sweet n sour chicken.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The main unit, for the whole house, I dunno what kind of filtration it does. There is an additional reverse osmosis unit under the kitchen sink, with a 5ga tank -- which is great when the water has to be off, still got a little bit of clean water! That unit has 3 filters; 2 of which we replace yearly, and the third more expensive one, which is replaced every 3 yrs. All we have to do for the main unit is keep pellet salt in it, which is real cheap. Thank goodness, because those filters aren't cheap; the yearly ones are $35 each, so $70 yearly for that, and the 3rd one is about $125, every 3 yrs. But it really makes a HUGE difference -- I have very coarse hair, and it always tended to the stiff & rough.... it's now a lot silkier and smoother! And the stuff on the bottoms of my stainless cookware -- now I get the chemical bluing or rainbowing, which vinegar removes PDQ, but NONE of that hard calcified shit that required a 24hr soak of vinegar to scrub off. We have extremely hard water in N GA, and this thing is a godsend.

And no more buying bottled water!

Andria
Yea my hair gets dreadlocks and that would be great if it fixed that issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors