Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fades too. Fades are hawt.
What in the HELL is "hawt" about ugly matted hair that hasn't seen a comb in 10 yrs?

Andria

Primitive urges...
But no, I draw the line at bones in noses. There are more appealing choices...

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fades too. Fades are hawt.

Primitive urges...
But no, I draw the line at bones in noses. There are more appealing choices...

I'm not really sure what a "fade" is. But i can't find the first thing attractive about matted hair. Ugh.

Andria

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The main unit, for the whole house, I dunno what kind of filtration it does. There is an additional reverse osmosis unit under the kitchen sink, with a 5ga tank -- which is great when the water has to be off, still got a little bit of clean water! That unit has 3 filters; 2 of which we replace yearly, and the third more expensive one, which is replaced every 3 yrs. All we have to do for the main unit is keep pellet salt in it, which is real cheap. Thank goodness, because those filters aren't cheap; the yearly ones are $35 each, so $70 yearly for that, and the 3rd one is about $125, every 3 yrs. But it really makes a HUGE difference -- I have very coarse hair, and it always tended to the stiff & rough.... it's now a lot silkier and smoother! And the stuff on the bottoms of my stainless cookware -- now I get the chemical bluing or rainbowing, which vinegar removes PDQ, but NONE of that hard calcified shit that required a 24hr soak of vinegar to scrub off. We have extremely hard water in N GA, and this thing is a godsend.

And no more buying bottled water!

Andria
We had hard water in Utah - wells feeding off the aquifers replenished with mountain runoff. Part of why we had to clean the filters in the swamp coolers regularly. So you have a filtration/softener setup for whole-house supply: awesomeness! Whole-house softeners were very spendy when I was a kid, just like central AC, so most people just endured the joys of having hard water..

We have a grand total of one filtration unit in our place, and it's in the water supply for the fridge/icemaker. That fridge replaced the unit that died that was in the house when we bought it. Had to plumb the water to it, but it was worth the trouble. We've wondered how we lived without having the icemaker and the filtered water saves having to store a Britta unit in the fridge. Paid $250 for it, found on Craigslist, sitting in a garage of a townhouse where the owner had decided to get a different fridge than the one that came with the house. It was basically unused when we got it. :)

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We had hard water in Utah - wells feeding off the aquifers replenished with mountain runoff. Part of why we had to clean the filters in the swamp coolers regularly. So you have a filtration/softener setup for whole-house supply: awesomeness! Whole-house softeners were very spendy when I was a kid, just like central AC, so most people just endured the joys of having hard water..

We have a grand total of one filtration unit in our place, and it's in the water supply for the fridge/icemaker. That fridge replaced the unit that died that was in the house when we bought it. Had to plumb the water to it, but it was worth the trouble. We've wondered how we lived without having the icemaker and the filtered water saves having to store a Britta unit in the fridge. Paid $250 for it, found on Craigslist, sitting in a garage of a townhouse where the owner had decided to get a different fridge than the one that came with the house. It was basically unused when we got it. :)

When we bought this house, obviously we needed a fridge to put in it... but after EVERYTHING ELSE that had to be paid, there was zero money for such a big-ticket item, so we did it the expensive way: lease-to-own from Aaron Rents. Probably paid twice what it was worth, but in 2 yrs, it was ours, a nice side-by-side Frigidaire. Of course, 6 months after that 2 yrs, I started seeing sales on french-door/bottom-freezer units that had finally come under $1k... :facepalm: But that'll have to wait; before I get another fridge, as long as this one still works, I really need a smooth-ceramic-top range, soooooo much easier to keep clean than a standard electric range.

Andria

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm here been here lol
I was at ecf before there was a here lol
I got a lashing cause OOOPS I forgot my username and password and made a new one! (Omg) I guess that's a no no?
I'm human I didn't know!
Anyways lol now i am on Tapatalk connected to Facebook no drama lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nancy_Bout

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Download the app- it's on Apple Store and I'm
Sure play store! TApatalk I love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimbodaddy74

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
GFY everyone. Not gonna say good morning, because, well, it is not. Went down to my basement, which is just a crappy unfinished partial basement (maybe 600 sq ft?) surrounded by a crawlspace, so I don't go down there often. But I did this morning. And it's always a great way to start the day when you discover that the floor around the water heater is damp.:gaah:

Well, I guess a new water heater is in my near future. So I start looking, and thinking maybe I should replace it with one of the tankless ones. Only to find multiple comments about how they need to be on an outside wall for venting. Ummm, why can't I mount it in the center of the basement where the old one was and use the already existing vent? So now I'm confused. If I hafta reroute gas and water lines then screw it, I'm getting another tank. I just assumed it could vent through the same vent pipes that are already there.

Money I didn't really have or want to spend right now, but hot water is kinda a necessity, and who knows how long before the bottom falls out of the old one.
I've installed dozens of tankless water heaters. Navien is my personal favorite brand(I'm Rinnai factory certified). Very high efficiency, vents using 2" PVC. Just need a way to run a condensate drain, and you can easily pu one in the center of the house, and run the vent through a sidewall, or if the existing vent is straight, I've used the existing vent to run PVC all the way through to the roof termination.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We're kind of hoping when the time comes, we'll go a good bit off grid in our home. Been seeing all kinds of different and effective means to refrigerate food stuffs.

One involves building a four post wood frame with shelves within it, hanging burlap over the frame and setting it all down a little two to three in pan of water. The water rises up the burlap and evaporates, which in turn keeps the contents refrigerated via the evaporation. It's also suggested to "water" the thing once or twice a day to keep the burlap "wick" moist.

Another is a similar process of evaporation involving a big Terra-cotta pot with a smaller one inside. Between them you pour sand and then moisten it, letting the water evaporate around your foodstuffs in the smaller pot, you can seal it with a moistened towel or cloth for a lid.

There's also finding a spring, or diverting off a little creek water to a pond, building something akin to a root cellar over and around that. You then store foodstuffs in a Styrofoam cooler weighted and sat into the pond. You could build bins & shelves against the walls for storing potatoes, onions, beets just like in a root cellar.

This third way is called a sprig house. I recall my Paw Paw putting watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew into the spring box just on the outside wall of the spring house. We would go lift the lid up and get the melons out in the Summer. Sometimes they got froze a bit. He kept Mimmi's canned goods, taters, maters and such inside the spring house.

Also looking at induction ranges which would allow for low use of electricity with their quick heating capacity. Planning to use LED lighting as well, not sure if she wants a microwave or not. She loves cooking, baking with gas. I can use either gas or electric, not sure on induction but it's worth the learning I figure. Want to use solar, wind, water, human power to generate our electric. Have seen a bicycle hooked to an alternator used to charge 12 volt car batteries.

All in we desire being less, and less dependent on others and more self reliant, independent. We already survive a week without electricity, save for the four hours a day her grandfather ran a generator for the fridges. We know we can make do, if we need to do so. Not like we're adverse to adversity, or don't know how to get our hands dirty. Know a lot of that sounds like hard work. Yes, it is. I'm learning to work gradually in cycles. I don't need to always have the "git 'er done!" attitude. As long as the work is getting done, gets done, great. "A little added together creates a lot."

The more we can simplify life, simple living makes living simple. That in turn makes life more free. Y'all can do as you want. We're aiming toward more free. Hoping I can get my nurse to let me graduate down on my blood pressure medicine since I'm not smoking cigarettes now. Start to moving in the working, the stiffness will get out of me too. Not sure about the nerve issue in the back. Guess ignoring the pain and keeping on going is about the best, least until it I absolutely need a tramadol pill, then pass out.

As for stress? Well, quit watching bad media, quit worrying / doubting so much, let the cosmos carry the load. It has, will even after this body & mid goes. Apologies for posting a novel. Excuse me.

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Of course, 6 months after that 2 yrs, I started seeing sales on french-door/bottom-freezer units that had finally come under $1k... :facepalm: But that'll have to wait; before I get another fridge, as long as this one still works, I really need a smooth-ceramic-top range, soooooo much easier to keep clean than a standard electric range.
Our fridge that died was a french-door unit and after dealing with that thing, I swore we would never get another one. We were having to replacing the center door seals every five years or so because they would crack and tear. Granted, it was an old, old model and the new ones may be better on that issue, but it's still a big "nyet!!" for me to consider one.
Keep a weather-eye on Craiglist and the like for stoves - you can find good deals if you're patient.

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
My other cousin works at the high school and here's a pic she posted.
upload_2016-8-15_10-13-7.png
Well, the kids are probably rejoicing that school might be delayed opening.. until they figure out it means they just have to stay later into the summer to finish. :( Good to know that your family is safe though. :)
Despite our reputation for rain up here in the left corner, Fall is when we get our flooding issues. Worst is when we have a stretch where a lot of snow falls in the mountains followed by a "Pineapple Express" front that brings in a lot of rain and warmer temps which melts off the recent snows and then the river plains experience floods.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A young Lady poolside in Vegas shaved all around, but with a gorgeous wave on top, and hairy legs was SO hot that half the pool evaporated wheen she got in. I keep an open mind..
That's gross. I remember standing in line at a bank once and this really pretty girl in front of me. I never noticed her legs until she walked away. She was wearing shorts and had black curly hairs all over her legs. :eek:

Douggro

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I remember standing in line at a bank once and this really pretty girl in front of me. I never noticed her legs until she walked away. She was wearing shorts and had black curly hairs all over her legs. :eek:
I don't find it appealing personally, because I've been shaped by the social norm of "how it's supposed to be" for women to shave their legs and under-arms. But if a woman decides that's how she wants to roll, then I'm the one with the problem, not her.
You sure it was a girl?
In this day and age, you have to watch for that.. ;)
Wife worked at a bank years ago and had a regular client who by all accounts was stunningly beautiful.. for a guy. Without seeing his ID, you would have thought he was a she. (Break out the Lou Reed song..)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't find it appealing personally, because I've been shaped by the social norm of "how it's supposed to be" for women to shave their legs and under-arms. But if a woman decides that's how she wants to roll, then I'm the one with the problem, not her.

True but they should not expect everyone else to think they look good just because they think they do.
Like the holes in ears and face and metal all over.

People have the right to look like they want to and I have to right to think they look stupid.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For example Ilia from the first Star Trek movie? Both unusual and Hot.
67c2fafcd9b158339af6e7b867fd1157.jpg

Seven of Nine? Also unusual and hot.
7of9_s7_c.jpg

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh yes, definitely. That's what matters. My other cousin works at the high school and here's a pic she posted.
View attachment 59118
We be ok. Lost pretty much everything but ok. Was talking with the ex while she helped get the mud and water out the house and told her I thought I took a $30k hit here. She just had to correct me and let me know we lost that just on the 3 motorcycles we had that all was under water :( then to add insult to it she started up my ranger and went to back it up and as soon as she pushed the clutch in the starter engages and grinds on the fly wheel. Was hoping to drive that but nope, not one single vehicle here is drivable. Good thing the ex wasn't here for the flood or her truck would of gone under water too.
All the furnarture is destroyed and most of it is already in the yard, the chest freezer with all my nicotine is now in the yard, both my laptop and new desktop computers are junk. It's a total loss. Didn't have any flood insurance but FEMA might pay some, time will tell but I probably make too much annually to qualify. I filed anyways so will see.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We be ok. Lost pretty much everything but ok. Was talking with the ex while she helped get the mud and water out the house and told her I thought I took a $30k hit here. She just had to correct me and let me know we lost that just on the 3 motorcycles we had that all was under water :( then to add insult to it she started up my ranger and went to back it up and as soon as she pushed the clutch in the starter engages and grinds on the fly wheel. Was hoping to drive that but nope, not one single vehicle here is drivable. Good thing the ex wasn't here for the flood or her truck would of gone under water too.
All the furnarture is destroyed and most of it is already in the yard, the chest freezer with all my nicotine is now in the yard, both my laptop and new desktop computers are junk. It's a total loss. Didn't have any flood insurance but FEMA might pay some, time will tell but I probably make too much annually to qualify. I filed anyways so will see.
That sucks. Unless water somehow got into the nic, it should still be fine, if you can find a place to store it. I notice you didn't say anything about your guns, hope your collection is OK?

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

In this day and age, you have to watch for that.. ;)
Wife worked at a bank years ago and had a regular client who by all accounts was stunningly beautiful.. for a guy. Without seeing his ID, you would have thought he was a she. (Break out the Lou Reed song..)
I don't even grow hair under my arms.

People have the right to look like they want to and I have to right to think they look stupid.
Yep!

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good grief. That is HORRIBLE! :( I just cannot fathom going through all you have been through. :(

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I want proof.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk
The only way to prove that would be with time lapse. EEEEEEW! Just the thought of watching underarm hair grow is disgusting!
And yes Kad, I remember you liking that pic I posted of that woman covered in piercings and you fell in love. hahahahahah!

Psyc

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Afternoon Fugees, passing through. Getting my daughter ready to back to school tomorrow. I am sad will miss her and probably kill my wife before the long drive home. For those of you affected by the floods my deepest sympathy's and wishes for a speedy recovery.

On a brighter note thanks for the pic of Jerry Ryan she is hot always had a crush on her. I ordered more stuff again. The lux mod runs on 2 26650 or 2 18650 batterys and comes with the 26650s and adapters for the 18650s. Just a little bit bigger than the rx200 but batts are supose to last longer.

Limitless-Lux-Box-Mod.jpg

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The only way to prove that would be with time lapse. EEEEEEW! Just the thought of watching underarm hair grow is disgusting!
And yes Kad, I remember you liking that pic I posted of that woman covered in piercings and you fell in love. hahahahahah!
This one? It wasn't the piercings I fell in love with. It was the red hair.:D See? I like weird.
upload_2016-7-13_11-45-12.png

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Afternoon Fugees, passing through. Getting my daughter ready to back to school tomorrow. I am sad will miss her and probably kill my wife before the long drive home. For those of you affected by the floods my deepest sympathy's and wishes for a speedy recovery.

On a brighter note thanks for the pic of Jerry Ryan she is hot always had a crush on her. I ordered more stuff again. The lux mod runs on 2 26650 or 2 18650 batterys and comes with the 26650s and adapters for the 18650s. Just a little bit bigger than the rx200 but batts are supose to last longer.

Yeah, she was hot, that's for sure. Of course I also liked Mira Furlan, apparently all of my crushes were either aliens or cyborgs.
delenn.jpg

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This one? It wasn't the piercings I fell in love with. It was the red hair.:D See? I like weird.
View attachment 59135
Boy, you sure do. lol!

Nice mod psyc! Good luck on your trip. :)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That sucks. Unless water somehow got into the nic, it should still be fine, if you can find a place to store it. I notice you didn't say anything about your guns, hope your collection is OK?
Both my .36 revolvers was under water but got them yesterday, cleaned them up and sorta saved them. They both need new grips now because the wood ones warped when they dried. A little rust on the Hawkins barrel but that too is cleaned up now and the rest are ok.

Wish I could be here with y'all enjoying shenanigans

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am NOT getting close to you. EVER!
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Both my .36 revolvers was under water but got them yesterday, cleaned them up and sorta saved them. They both need new grips now because the wood ones warped when they dried. A little rust on the Hawkins barrel but that too is cleaned up now and the rest are ok.

Wish I could be here with y'all enjoying shenanigans
We understand choppy. You've got a LOT of work ahead of you. Wish we could help. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors