Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Heh, ok. I have a nice lil space heater in my bedroom, but I've been trying to use it very sparingly, since I have this cold; don't wanna dry out my mucosa and make it any worse than it is already, even with the humidifier running. Full steam ahead and all that. But if it gets much colder, I'm gonna have to turn the lil heater up a bit.

The problem is the thermostat of our home's furnace; it's one of those programmable kind, which resets itself to fucking SIXTY TWO DEGREES at odd times, such as the middle of the night or 6am or who the hell knows. I've got the manual for programming it, but it's the biggest pain in the ass to do that you can imagine, AND, the digits are so tiny, and LCD, I can barely see them at all. I'd really love to replace the stupid thing with the old-timey kind that stays where you set it, until you change it!!! I set it for 69 degrees everynight when I go to bed... and it's always on fucking frigid 62 when I wake up, and that is just too damn cold for life!

Andria

If it's one of those new fangled "Nest" brand type of thermometers, I think they have the X10 protocol installed as part of their BIOS system. * goes off and does a little poking and peeking * Yep, yep, yep, it's what I thought for, home automation protocol, kind of like TCIP for smart homes. I doubt anyone is cracking your thermostat. It sounds like an upstream bug in the unit, more so than someone cracking in and fooling with you. Yes, that can be done.

For an upstream bug? I'd give the 800 service number a jingle. They might offer a bios flash upgrade. This will be their servers connecting to your thermostat and upgrading the software from its bios. The X10 protocol is available via Open Source. Any script kiddie can grab a toolkit and crack systems, if they really think it's worth the effort. I genuinely do not see how anyone would think it worth the effort though. I mean all it would be, would be an annoyance at best.

Please understand I'm using the terminology crack, cracking to differentiate between ignorant thugs and mature ethical hackers. Mature ethical hackers don't even think about such stuff beyond what I'm doing here, which is thinking aloud in an open forum to maybe provide some helpful insight into how to keep end users safe, secure from ignorant thugs, *cough* over reaching governments. *cough*

Yes, you (end users) can secure your smart home devices, inputs rather easily. You could use biometrics, as in a fingerprint, eye scan. A root or administration password system could work too, especially if you use Root -Kit Hunter as a deamon in the background to protect from rooting attacks.

Ensure you use root or administration passwords/pass phrases that are at least 16 characters long, no repeating, at least two special symbols, at least one number. I know that this is well and above what TS level Q uses to secure their stuff, got a friend and former lover who gets fussy he can't root my system and he has TS level Q.

:) hehe He told me that they only use 14 characters but no special symbols or numbers. He has not though given away the great secret of where the government stashes the Silly Putty bomb codes, or the codes themselves. We talk but there's a lot we talk about by not talking about it, too. :)

Root Kit Hunter will set up a honey pot fake root system on your system/s to thwart any attackers. They'll come in and play in a sandbox but not really have the keys to the castle so to speak, they might think they do but they don't. Then it'll deny them, dropping them out of your system all together, send you an alert if you desire that. You can also use FAM, File Alteration Manager, it's a software akin to AppArmor but it operates a bit differently. It takes hashes of all your files and runs as a deamon, checking hashes constantly and will alert you if vital files are changed.

bah, need to scoot

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, down here in the south, 62 means it's time to put on the sweats and boots! :giggle: Seriously -- I grew up knowing that it needed to be cooler at night, and when I got older, I did some reading and learned why -- that drying out the mucosa thing. I've always considered 68-69 a good setting for sleeping; 72-73 a good temp for when you're awake, in the winter. I hated living up north because it seemed like every damn body would set their thermostats at fucking 80 degrees, and when it's cold outside and that warm inside, I can't fucking breathe at all! :headbang:

Andria
I keep my heater on 69. But, I do have a little fake fireplace in my bedroom that I crank up. So, I'm not sure how warm it is.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I put dual 2.5 mm SS316L in mine works out to around .3
A bit tedious but not a bad vape at all.
Dual coils in the Wanko? Wouldn't have even thought of that, it seems like it'd be a better single coil RDA. Gonna play with one a bit tomorrow. Trying it now with the SS316 Wave coil it came with and it isn't bad. Tomorrow I was gonna put in the bf pin and build a normal coil, think I'm gonna stick with single coil builds in it though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dual coils in the Wanko? Wouldn't have even thought of that, it seems like it'd be a better single coil RDA. Gonna play with one a bit tomorrow. Trying it now with the SS316 Wave coil it came with and it isn't bad. Tomorrow I was gonna put in the bf pin and build a normal coil, think I'm gonna stick with single coil builds in it though.
I also put dual 2.5's in my O atty
get a lower resistance with more coil area for my mechs.
to get a lower resistance on a single coil I have to use fatter wire which increases ramp up time.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What's your new avi??? Guess I should put my eyeglasses on. Or...........should I? hehehehehe

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Let's not talk about polishing wood...
It's a sore subject, my wood died a tragic death right after you saw it for the first time.:(
Wet wood leads to warped wood leads to, well,, nothing fits together right anymore.

Awe I'm sorry. Some woods just can't stand the test. :cuss2:

I would hardly classify a twig as "wood"

VU Sponsors