Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I grew up eating summer (yellow) squash; down here, it's cooked till it's basically just mush, with a little bit of chopped onion. When I got older, I tasted zucchini and loved it too, though now I usually make a casserole of both zucchini & yellow squash, a bit of onion, some sharp cheese, and breadcrumbs. Yum!

I hear that those yankee squashes are sweet, and that just kinda grosses me out. I can't abide sweet potatoes or yams either; YUCK!!!

I do love pumpkin pie, though. :)

Andria

If you like zucchini then you will like the white patty pan squash.

dsc_0862.jpg

Funny thing is I like pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie but hate sweet potatoes and yams.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Funny thing is I like pumpkin pie and sweet potato pie but hate sweet potatoes and yams.

I loooooooooooove pumpkin pie, with a MOUNTAIN of whipped cream on it. Usually when I make 'em, I use a shortbread rather than graham cracker crust.

I can't abide sweet potato ANYTHING. Ick, ick, ick!

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I loooooooooooove pumpkin pie, with a MOUNTAIN of whipped cream on it. Usually when I make 'em, I use a shortbread rather than graham cracker crust.

I can't abide sweet potato ANYTHING. Ick, ick, ick!

Andria

Sweet potato pie if it is cooked with the same seasonings as pumpkin pie, is real good, Kinda hard to tell them apart in a blind taste test.

I am not a fan of the graham crust. I like the plain old pie crust for them.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But they don't. They taste like what they are, no matter WHAT you do to them.

Andria
I made a carrot pie one Thanksgiving and took it to my grandmothers and everyone there swore it was the best pumpkin pie they ever tasted. I never told them that it was carrots, not pumpkin. I made my usual ginger snap crust, peeled and boiled the carrots until soft, added pumpkin pie spices, dark brown sugar and it looked exactly like pumpkin pie. ;)

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made a carrot pie one Thanksgiving and took it to my grandmothers and everyone there swore it was the best pumpkin pie they ever tasted. I never told them that it was carrots, not pumpkin. I made my usual ginger snap crust, peeled and boiled the carrots until soft, added pumpkin pie spices, dark brown sugar and it looked exactly like pumpkin pie. ;)
Please stop, yur making me extremely hungry for carbs........:sneaka:.....:)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Gag. To me, sweet potatoes are right up there with liver and turnip greens = foods never to ever pass my lips.

Andria

Sweet potao baked....yuck.....fried same way, yuck but a sweet potato pie with pumpkin pie spices I like. I learned this at Grand Isle when the oil companies fed up holiday meals. The desert table would have both pies on it but no one knew which one was which so I grabbed a slice from a couple pies :D They was both damn good but I could tell which one was sweet potato by the texture.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Tonight been clean the house night. Tomorrow my boy Rascal comes and spends a week with me and its impossible to vacuum and mop when he is here. Little bugger tries to attack the vacuum every time lol

Went to the ex's house this afternoon and we grilled a couple steaks. Rascal went plum nuts when he seen me. Kept jumping on me, turning circles real fast and doing his damnest to give me puppy kisses. He seen me three days ago and acts like it was three months ago :giggle:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Catfish done right is excellent. If it wasnt cleaned right with the bloody meat removed then it taste like crap.

I don't like ANY fresh-water fish. I wouldn't eat fish of ANY kind until I was grown, and little by little, gradually was able to acquire some taste for some -- sardines, salmon... love the HELL out of caviar. Strange though, even as a child when I hated fish, I would always eat tuna -- but only when it's packed in oil, because the oil dissolves the bones (just like with sardines). Tuna packed in water has the crunchy bones and that is just plain sick-making.

But fresh-water fish are too small, and thus too hard to filet, so you end up with bones: scary, and sick-making to find one in your mouth. Salmon are BIG fish, so they're easy to filet, ditto tuna.

Catfish just tastes NASTY, period. If I'm gonna eat a bottom-feeder, it better be a fucking SHRIMP!

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A lot of what we are seeing now are fascist. They want the Democrats to be in power and are throwing a major hissy fit because they lost the election and our rich liberal entertainers are not helping any. I am sure most everyone seen Ashley Judge "nasty" rant. I have to say that is about the most nastiest thing I ever heard and I use to be a big fan of hers but after watching that, she can rot in hell for all I care. I just watched the guy who would of been Hillary's VP telling people they need to take the fight to the streets. Really, elected officials are now advocating openly for violence. WTF!

What we see is pure fascism. It will be their way and only their way or else as far as they ar concerned.

Just look at the womans march that Ashley and Madona spoke at. All groups of women that was pro life was made to leave. They was not invited nor allowed to march with the other women. What does that tell yall.

I am not disagreeing, we are currently seeing fascism. Can still recall
back when Bush Jr. was in his first term and met with an Italian
minister of a political group there promoting fascism, a meeting held on
U.S. soil no less, my grandfather's response.

Pap was very silent as he watched & listened to the "report". Then he
let it fly. "We fought and won this damn war before, it is over the
bastards need to go crawl under a rock and die." I rarely heard Pap
curse or swear in such a fashion.

For myself, I abide in agreeing with Groucho Marxx, if there is a club
that will have me it's a club I won't be involved in. Clubs also come
wrapped up in all these fancy -isms. Apologies, any snake oil salesman
tempting me with an ism may as well keep his wagon moving along.

Yes I am an idealist and egalitarian, that does not infer though
accepting any -isms on my part. I am also an anarchist albeit a pacifist
and peace loving one and yes there are the violent ones who hold that
might is right, me and them seem to part company. Although don't
misunderstand, I do believe in defending those I love and myself.

I always find myself recalling words written by Sir Terry Pratchett as
well. His character Rincewind says, "you can go to any street corner
and buy a dozen causes for a dime, do you really want to then die for a
cause?"

There's also a British series, Sharpe's Rifles I believe it is titled. One
episode of that presents the British soldiers tasked with helping Spain
recover one of it's forts. The ambassador going with them pulls out
the Spanish flag saying once it is hoisted off the pole at the fort his
Spanish soldiers would rally and fight, die to protect the fort as if it
were Spain herself.

The British commander laughed. "It is but a rag on a stick, surely
you cannot expect these men to welcome death merely at your waving
it."

"Ah, but you so do yourself, do you not," the ambassador replies. This took
a while to sink in for me. I know others will feel differently. That's alright. I'm
as welcome as they to have a different view, that is one of the things I
understood to have served to protect when I did serve. That isn't what we
now see though. * shaking my head * "Bunch of piss in the wind." *sighs*

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i can't abide green tomatoes in any way, shape, or form; too sharp! Even their smell! Ick! But then.. I had to work hard to acquire a taste for tomatoes at all; when I was a child, they'd take the skin right off the inside of my mouth. Now as an adult, I have a very hard time digesting them, without a great deal of pain and suffering... so I mostly avoid them completely. I love pizza, but I usually scrape off as much of the tomato sauce as i can, and also make sure to take Beano both before and after I eat. I have such slow digestion, the acid in the tomatoes causes the most agonizing gas to build up inside me.

Andria

It was years before I could eat tomatoes. As a child my stepfather made me wear quite a few plates filled with tomatoes. I merely didn't want them as a child, not accounting for ketchup. Now, I can rather enjoy eating them in all kinds of forms.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't eat gourds at all :eek:

<joking>No good telling you to be a gord head if you asked to switch the tell lie vision channel, then?</joking>

It's a Southern twang thang. "Go right on ahead", "gordahead" which sounds like "gordhead". Near like in Louisiana you might hear someone say they're making roaches, which means they're going to get groceries, or are working so as to get groceries. "M'agitgrochies", "I'm a gitt/gittin grocheries"which sounds then like "making roaches". Yacht too is a funny in Louisiana, it's them asking "where ya at?"

Yep, Southern folk talk funny. Bunch of us had difficulty though hearing a gal from New York talk. She would talk all day in a minute, literally. She talked so fast we had trouble sorting what she said, whereas it might take a Southerner three days to form and say "yep, okay yer idy sounds alri." which is "Yes, your idea sounds good."

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Speaking of ideas, ... think I'm going to rack it. Medications are stimulating the gauze feeling. Will not get out of first gear in the morning to save myself. Going to see to getting off the anti-depressant as it's doing the opposite of what it ought to do, due to the gauze feeling and not getting out of first gear. Also, it's creating a lot more scatter brain in me than normally present, stripping away my inner cognition of congruity. That is a lot of disharmony for me, more anxiety too. So, nitol, need to saw logs.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm with Andria though on the fried catfish, fried green tomatoes and fried jalapeños. Nope, nope, nope. Catfish tastes like mud to me and I've never liked fried green tomatoes
All were excellent!

Ha....had a GS and her mom stop at the door this afternoon....bought two of those exact boxes
I have bought $32 worth of GS cookies and the one I like the least is the one I wind up with. Thin Mints. But I'm not letting them go to waste so I'm eating them!
Hmmm, me dealer didn't come around this year. Guess I gotta find a new source for my GS cookies...

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All were excellent!

Hmmm, me dealer didn't come around this year. Guess I gotta find a new source for my GS cookies...
The coordinator on one of my lines is selling them for her granddaughter so I have an endless supply. Plus, if you drive the main drag in my town, in almost every empty parking lot, there's a table set up with GS's selling cookies. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This morning's meditation was very nice. I went down to feed the dogs .
While there, I straightened up in their hut a bit .

Then, I opened the door for them to go out into their pen. We built a
little four foot by four foot 'porch' to sit in front of their 'door'.
That way they aren't merely jumping down three to four foot right out of
the door and possibly getting injured.

This porch then serves me too, crawling out their door with them. I set
out there on the porch at times while having them in the pen. Well, this
morning my two boys decided I need to be on the ground with them.

There I was my butt getting cold from the ground. I sat nearly Indian
style, Grouchy up under my right arm sitting up. By my left leg and
laying up against me on his side was Sherlock. I sat rubbing and patting
each of them.

I think we were in the pin about fifteen minutes. I had played with the
ever multiplying tennis balls with them. Sherlock was actually taking to
being the retriever he is bred to be. I would toss one ball, he'd return
with it I would toss a second as he gave me the first.

He got a bit worn out doing that once he saw what was going on. I got
a look that said, "well Papa, you keep tossing your balls away I'm not
going to go get them anymore." Hammy took her turn eating too much
'salad' this morning. It was Sherlock's turn yesterday.

I think the hay in the hut is getting a touch funky and aggravating
their respiratory systems, just a bit. I will gradually be culling the
hay out of the hut as the weather starts faring out and warming. As
it is, even if it does mildew some I need to retain it in the hut for
insulation, and I'm watching it as I tend to them to ensure it isn't out
of hand.

We use crinoline spread inside at times to help keep it disinfected.
Dogs too at times do need to just get gunk out of their bellies like
people do. So this taking turns hacking up stuff of a morning while I
note it, is not a pressing concern.

I felt pure love from my boys this morning. That outweighs all the bad
which might come today. :)

VU Sponsors