Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wish my mother had went to a traditional MD. Had she, she probably would be alive today. She despised going to doctors so for her primary care physician she chose a DO. Had she being seeing a regular MD, he would have required her to undergo a colonoscopy when she hit 70. That colonoscopy would have shown the polyps that grew into the tumor that ultimately killed her. This article explains the difference. Her doctor didn't believe in unnecessary tests for things there were no markers for such as colon cancer which no one in her family ever had.

http://www.piedmont.org/living-better/your-doctor-the-difference-between-an-md-and-do

I had a DO for my obstetrician, and I was really glad, when I slipped on ice and totally fucked my back and hip... he was able to "adjust" my back, with a loud "POP", as a chiropractor would do, and it was IMMEDIATE relief. He had me taking some tylenol 3's for just a few days for the residual pain, because no aspirin/ibu when you're pregnant because of the blood thinning. But he was great; I had told him all about my hard-drug history, and that I wanted to be tested for everything he could possibly test for -- they must have drawn half a pint of blood, and also did an early-term and also mid-term ultrasound... to make sure that the baby was healthy. It was totally worth it!

I like DO's because they treat the body as a whole entity rather than just isolating one little bit here or there, without considering how each little bit affects the whole. But I'm sure there are bad DO's, just as there are bad MD's. It's impossible to say a whole class of something is "bad," that's like saying that a whole sex or ethnic group is bad just because there are a few idiots.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a DO for my obstetrician, and I was really glad, when I slipped on ice and totally fucked my back and hip... he was able to "adjust" my back, with a loud "POP", as a chiropractor would do, and it was IMMEDIATE relief. He had me taking some tylenol 3's for just a few days for the residual pain, because no aspirin/ibu when you're pregnant because of the blood thinning. But he was great; I had told him all about my hard-drug history, and that I wanted to be tested for everything he could possibly test for -- they must have drawn half a pint of blood, and also did an early-term and also mid-term ultrasound... to make sure that the baby was healthy. It was totally worth it!

I like DO's because they treat the body as a whole entity rather than just isolating one little bit here or there, without considering how each little bit affects the whole. But I'm sure there are bad DO's, just as there are bad MD's. It's impossible to say a whole class of something is "bad," that's like saying that a whole sex or ethnic group is bad just because there are a few idiots.

Andria
+100

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I, myself would use a DO but I'm more informed about health care in general than she was. I've always felt like he took advantage of the fact that she didn't like doctors to not order the things that were advised by the AMA. I also put some of the blame on her too for not being more proactive about her health.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I, myself would use a DO but I'm more informed about health care in general than she was. I've always felt like he took advantage of the fact that she didn't like doctors to not order the things that were advised by the AMA. I also put some of the blame on her too for not being more proactive about her health.
Exactly, have to be proactive.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm not really fond of the fried pickles. But man, the fried jalapenos were awesome!

I do the same thing!!! I eat cherry tomatoes like candy. Love them!

When I was in aircraft mechanics school some 30 years ago we use to go to Church's chicken and get a large order of fried gizzards and Jalapeños. The food was around a dollar and a six pack of rot gut beer was around $2 so we got a belly full and a buzz for cheap. Since then I had no desire for either fried chicken gizzards, fried jalapeños or rot gut beer :giggle:

(Think we was drinking Milwaukee Best beer and that swill was worse than Busch beer, but it was the cheapest)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
hahaha...been there done it....but missed the gizzards...:blech:

They actually wasnt that bad :teehee:

For a while when I was in school my mom was sending me $20 a week to live on. This was mid early 80's That was a box of minute rice, 10 lbs of leg quarters, a carton of smokes and $10 for gas and beer. :giggle:

I would make chicken and rice soup that would last the week, smoke all week and as long as my truck ran it wasnt too important if I had beer or gas money because my friends kept me with gas and beer as long as I drove them around :D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
They actually wasnt that bad :teehee:

For a while when I was in school my mom was sending me $20 a week to live on. This was mid early 80's That was a box of minute rice, 10 lbs of leg quarters, a carton of smokes and $10 for gas and beer. :giggle:

I would make chicken and rice soup that would last the week, smoke all week and as long as my truck ran it wasnt too important if I had beer or gas money because my friends kept me with gas and beer as long as I drove them around :D
Oh the GOOD ole days.....:giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Exactly, have to be proactive.

A health-aware and proactive patient is a GOOD doctor's dream come true -- my doc knows I show up for my asthma checkups, and if I show up for anything else (very rarely!), I'm actually sick, not just in need of hand-holding, so he takes any complaint very seriously.

OTOH, I had a gyno during my peri-menopause days who actually fired me as a patient, saying I was "uncooperative" -- because I knew damned well I didn't need an ultrasound for my excessive bleeding, after the first 2 I had showed absolutely no reason for it -- it was strictly hormonal mayhem and nothing else. Thank god I finally achieved menopause and that shit stopped, because I was about to slap that stupid money-hungry bitch.

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A health-aware and proactive patient is a GOOD doctor's dream come true -- my doc knows I show up for my asthma checkups, and if I show up for anything else (very rarely!), I'm actually sick, not just in need of hand-holding, so he takes any complaint very seriously.

OTOH, I had a gyno during my peri-menopause days who actually fired me as a patient, saying I was "uncooperative" -- because I knew damned well I didn't need an ultrasound for my excessive bleeding, after the first 2 I had showed absolutely no reason for it -- it was strictly hormonal mayhem and nothing else. Thank god I finally achieved menopause and that shit stopped, because I was about to slap that stupid money-hungry bitch.

Andria
That's what it's about.....MONEY...!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Fried cherry pie sounded odd to me. But maybe next time we go to the Gin (false advertising by the way, it wasn't filled with gin) I'll have to try it if they have it.

tapatalking drive by

I just love pie and fried food so it sounds like a winner to me - especially since I can't have any, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OMG yuck!!!! I'm the only one in my family that didn't like them. Or cranberry sauce.

Yeah, I don't like that shit either. The only reasonable use for cranberries is to make juice, for when you have a UTI... and even then, it's gotta be cran-grape mixed with cran-apple, to hide the godawful bitterness of the cran. ICK!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I think I have finally disabused my husband of the idea that we need to spend money on getting a pizza for the stupid bowl. I pointed out that we just spent about $160 on food, still have most of it, had an AWESOME salmon dinner last night, and if we don't spend money on pizza, we'll still have over $100 in our bank acct.

And I can serve him microwave stuff he can eat at his desk while he watches the stupid bowl, and not have to cook. Ahhh.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I think I have finally disabused my husband of the idea that we need to spend money on getting a pizza for the stupid bowl. I pointed out that we just spent about $160 on food, still have most of it, had an AWESOME salmon dinner last night, and if we don't spend money on pizza, we'll still have over $100 in our bank acct.

And I can serve him microwave stuff he can eat at his desk while he watches the stupid bowl, and not have to cook. Ahhh.

Andria
I'm getting ready to start my hot wings. I picked up a pack of drumettes, 6 in the pack so I'll bake them, then pour the sauce over them and back in the oven. Plus I have some cheddar and bacon potato skins. Grape tomatoes, cucumbers and ranch dip rounds out the meal.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'll just eat in peace and quiet, while reading a good book. I'm rereading the last 2 Kim Harrision Hollows books, because I found the last one, The Witch With No Name, at the dollar store. :D I love finding great hardbacks for $1. :D I was able to find the next-to-last one in my library's ebook collection on Overdrive.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm getting ready to start my hot wings. I picked up a pack of drumettes, 6 in the pack so I'll bake them, then pour the sauce over them and back in the oven. Plus I have some cheddar and bacon potato skins. Grape tomatoes, cucumbers and ranch dip rounds out the meal.
That sounds so good. I unfortunately am having issues from the wisdom tooth extraction. Now, there is a sharp bone making it's way out under it, deep down by my jawbone. And, it hurts. And it has ripped my poor tongue up. So I've got gauze in my mouth trying to keep it from doing more damage to my tongue.:sad:
I'm so glad I was well when Kadly was here.:)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, I don't like that shit either. The only reasonable use for cranberries is to make juice, for when you have a UTI... and even then, it's gotta be cran-grape mixed with cran-apple, to hide the godawful bitterness of the cran. ICK!

Andria
Same here cranberries are bitter as heck.
But I do drink some crangrape for UTI issues. Like drinking medicine for sure.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That sounds so good. I unfortunately am having issues from the wisdom tooth extraction. Now, there is a sharp bone making it's way out under it, deep down by my jawbone. And, it hurts. And it has ripped my poor tongue up. So I've got gauze in my mouth trying to keep it from doing more damage to my tongue.:sad:
Sounds like they left a piece in there....
Poor thing...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Same here cranberries are bitter as heck.
But I do drink some crangrape for UTI issues. Like drinking medicine for sure.

Absolutely! For medicine, it's outstanding! Affordable, effective, and a bit easier to choke down than giant horsepills. :D

If you mix the crangrape with cranapple, it's a little sweeter, easier to take.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like they left a piece in there....
Poor thing...

Actually, there was probably a piece of the tooth broekn off below the gum line, which they missed, or just couldn't get without actually cutting the gum open. They're miserable for sure, buit they do eventually work themselves free. I've had to deal with this a lot, and it's not fun, but it does pass. Once enough of it is out, you may be able to grab it with tweezers and yank it out -- it may hurt, but it will heal.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Atcha, I'm sorry you're still having trouble with that tooth!

I'm the odd person here...don't say it cause I know you're thinking it but I like cranberry...sauce and juice. Homemade cranberry sauce is actually what helped me to quit smoking cold turkey back in 1998. My brother made homemade cranberry sauce for thanksgiving and I brought some home. Whenever I'd have a craving, I'd eat a spoonful of that sauce and the craving would disappear.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Atcha, I'm sorry you're still having trouble with that tooth!

I'm the odd person here...don't say it cause I know you're thinking it but I like cranberry...sauce and juice. Homemade cranberry sauce is actually what helped me to quit smoking cold turkey back in 1998. My brother made homemade cranberry sauce for thanksgiving and I brought some home. Whenever I'd have a craving, I'd eat a spoonful of that sauce and the craving would disappear.
The canned sauce that slides out in a cylindrical shape is not bad. But cranberries or the juice is horrible.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys. :blowkiss:
I don't think it's a piece of the tooth though. The whole tooth came out. I think she dislodged something with her constant twisting a pulling. I'll call my dentist in the morning. It's pretty painful.

That happened to my husband when he had his removed - it was small slivers of jaw bone that broke off during the extraction :eek:

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My bottom wisdom teeth were cut out. They had to take a hammer and chisel, break it into pieces and remove it that way. The right one came in sideways and the crown of the tooth was almost under the roots of the one beside it. The left one was normal so they cut that one out normally. They knocked me out with Demerol so they could've pulled all of them and I wouldn't have cared. :giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mine were pulled normally. I'd have had sufficient room for them, oddly enough, but they were decayed once they were fully grown in, so they had to go. Didn't cause me anymore distress than any other extraction.

Andria

VU Sponsors