Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Does she use electric lights? Or does she insist that a candle is all she needs? :giggle: Does she drive a car? Or insist on a mule and buggy? ;)

Andria

I use to suffer from the same thing you suffer from Andria. Plain old dont get it. What is it you might wonder, the simple fact that some people no matter how hard you try will never understand simple electronic task.

Case in point, my mom wanted to try a cell phone so I added a line to my policy and got her a simple phone. How hard is it to push the green button to talk and the red button to hang up. Yet it took years to get that simple task down pat. I gave up years ago trying to teach her how to look up missed calls, use her phone book and basic things like that. After ten years of pulling out my hair in frustration, I finally accepted the fact that some people, especially those from before the computer age are hopeless in understanding basic simple cell phone operation. The IPad she had to have for her church is a whole new set of headaches.

It is not that these people want to be stuck in the stone age, they just can not grasp technology like we can. Their mind isnt wired that way.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Mornin fugee's and GFY. :)

Heard on the news this morning that the city of New Orleans is going to crack down on food stamp fraud........erm, hate to tell them but that has been going on for decades upon decades. It is a nation wide problem. Why the big worry about it now all of a sudden. I cant count the amount of times someone I knew wanted to sell their food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar or less.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mornin fugee's and GFY. :)

Heard on the news this morning that the city of New Orleans is going to crack down on food stamp fraud........erm, hate to tell them but that has been going on for decades upon decades. It is a nation wide problem. Why the big worry about it now all of a sudden. I cant count the amount of times someone I knew wanted to sell their food stamps for 50 cents on the dollar or less.
Chop, you're right. It's nation wide. A friend of mine used to give her daughter $200 to buy $400 worth of her food stamps. All so her daughter could use the cash to buy drugs. And the mom knew it but still did it. :mad: There's something wrong there.

@AndriaD I survived the bad weather. Actually, it wasn't so bad here. A couple of thunderstorms, none severe though. That's one of the perks to living in the northern part of the state when weather is coming up from the south. It fizzles out before it gets here.

Good morning everyone! :wave:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning all, and GFY. Friggin snow this morning, seriously? In April? And then 70 by Sunday, Mother Nature really is bi-polar.

And another crappy thing about today. I rarely get headaches of any sort, but today I have a headache from hell. So I open my desk drawer, and my frickin ibuprofin bottle I keep at work is nowhere to be found. Grrrr.

Anyway, hope y'all have a great day!

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
People still use food stanps?
People around here in KY have rechargeable credit card thingys for food stamps.
Harder to sell.
We have those here too. But to get around that is a piece of cake. My friend would go to the grocery store, get $400 worth of groceries then her daughter would use her card to pay for. In return, the friend would give her daughter $200 in cash. There's always a way to hack the system.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I use to suffer from the same thing you suffer from Andria. Plain old dont get it. What is it you might wonder, the simple fact that some people no matter how hard you try will never understand simple electronic task.

Case in point, my mom wanted to try a cell phone so I added a line to my policy and got her a simple phone. How hard is it to push the green button to talk and the red button to hang up. Yet it took years to get that simple task down pat. I gave up years ago trying to teach her how to look up missed calls, use her phone book and basic things like that. After ten years of pulling out my hair in frustration, I finally accepted the fact that some people, especially those from before the computer age are hopeless in understanding basic simple cell phone operation. The IPad she had to have for her church is a whole new set of headaches.

It is not that these people want to be stuck in the stone age, they just can not grasp technology like we can. Their mind isnt wired that way.

Well shoot, I'm not exactly a young thang myself. That's one thing that's bugged me since I got involved in PCs back in '89 -- most of those with whom I chatted or BBSed were like... teenagers. They simply couldn't believe that a woman close to 30, married with a baby, would be as involved in PCs and BBSs as they were, or that I'd be able to teach them things about it. Some of them were a little older, maybe early 20s as opposed to my late 20s/early 30s, but they had nearly as much difficulty believing it as the teens did.

I really don't think it's about age, so much as about a certain mindset, "this is how I've always done it and this is how it should always be done" kind of thinking; although it's not impossible to teach an old dawg new tricks -- witness me with my mobile phone I got last year -- that old dawg has got to WANT TO LEARN... and most people past a certain age are simply unwilling to learn anything new; they figure they learned everything they needed when they were in school, and anything beyond that, well, they just don't need it -- witness the stubborn refusal to learn of those who absolutely will NOT learn to vape properly (safely -- they won't learn about Herr Ohm whatsoever!), or make coils, or make ejuice. Nope, if they've gotta do all that, well they'd just as soon keep smoking. Even if it kills them.

The stubborn REFUSAL to learn probably kills more people than anything else. Humans are just about as dumb as they make up their minds to be. I personally think this type of mindset is exactly the kind that succumbs most easily to senile dementia -- they can't process the modern world because they refuse to learn, so they become stuck in the past with their memories while everyone else moves on. That's one reason why I like to learn new stuff all the time -- it keeps the brain active -- and why I'll keep vaping at least a little nicotine; my maternal grandmother had senile dementia, and it's just so sad.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Chop, you're right. It's nation wide. A friend of mine used to give her daughter $200 to buy $400 worth of her food stamps. All so her daughter could use the cash to buy drugs. And the mom knew it but still did it. :mad: There's something wrong there.

@AndriaD I survived the bad weather. Actually, it wasn't so bad here. A couple of thunderstorms, none severe though. That's one of the perks to living in the northern part of the state when weather is coming up from the south. It fizzles out before it gets here.

Good morning everyone! :wave:

Ditto that, with all the crap that first comes across Atcha and choppie -- by the time it hits GA, it's not much of nuthin. :D We had some SERIOUS lightening and hail last night; 5 minutes before the end of Designated Survivor, the freakin satellite went out, and the sound was like a barrage of frozen peas! :giggle: Then a lightening strike that made a crackely sound in the metal rails of our sliding glass doors, and right after, a lightening/thunder combo that shook the house like a freaking earthquake! Today it's cold (low 50s, after low 80s day-before-yesterday!), and windy as hell!!!

Andria

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We have those here too. But to get around that is a piece of cake. My friend would go to the grocery store, get $400 worth of groceries then her daughter would use her card to pay for. In return, the friend would give her daughter $200 in cash. There's always a way to hack the system.
yes there are ways around everything. But the cards do decrease the abuse.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ditto that, with all the crap that first comes across Atcha and choppie -- by the time it hits GA, it's not much of nuthin. :D We had some SERIOUS lightening and hail last night; 5 minutes before the end of Designated Survivor, the freakin satellite went out, and the sound was like a barrage of frozen peas! :giggle: Then a lightening strike that made a crackely sound in the metal rails of our sliding glass doors, and right after, a lightening/thunder combo that shook the house like a freaking earthquake! Today it's cold (low 50s, after low 80s day-before-yesterday!), and windy as hell!!!

Andria
We had one round to come through yesterday but it turned out to be nothing but a little lightning, a little thunder and lots of rain. The one that woke me up at 7 this morning had more lightning, thunder, rain plus hail. Now, it's cool here too and windy as hell!! Like blow you off the road windy.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We had one round to come through yesterday but it turned out to be nothing but a little lightning, a little thunder and lots of rain. The one that woke me up at 7 this morning had more lightning, thunder, rain plus hail. Now, it's cool here too and windy as hell!! Like blow you off the road windy.

Yeah I was just glancing out the glass doors on the last bout of wind, and it actually lifted one of the plastic chairs; if it wasn't pushed in under that mossy table, the wind would have taken it! It keeps making the doors make noise, which totally freaks out the cat. :giggle: I let her go outside earlier, but she didn't stay long; she doesn't like wind at all!

We have this wooden sign hanging by the front door, on the porch, the kind that's been burned into the wood that says "Happiness is still homemade". It got yanked off, during the last storm, since it was hanging by gold cord; my husband repaired it and hung it back up with an actual chain, which is hanging on a huge screw much longer than the original nail, and it keeps banging on the house, while also freaks out the cat. :giggle:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Got enough hail here last night to cover the ground.

There's a hilarious video on weather.com, that I think came from somewhere in KY; a bunch of dogs, being urged by their mistress to come out and potty, are absolutely petrified of the hail falling, and won't come out. :giggle: One of them is a big ol something, looks like a boxer I think, and he's so funny, so fierce looking but cowardly as hell. :giggle:

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There's a hilarious video on weather.com, that I think came from somewhere in KY; a bunch of dogs, being urged by their mistress to come out and potty, are absolutely petrified of the hail falling, and won't come out. :giggle: One of them is a big ol something, looks like a boxer I think, and he's so funny, so fierce looking but cowardly as hell. :giggle:

Andria
If it was hailing in my bathroom I'd be freaking out too.:D

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Thx mon! Hope I hear from him, about that diagram of side vs bottom airflow. He really seems to understand the actual physics of vaping better than anyone else I've heard from in the forums.

Andria

You can let that one go - really There is a difference between theoretical and practical application here. Unless that guy developed the worlds tiniest wind tunnel and camera - it's theory - not an absolute truth. In the practical world it is known what does and does not work well with side airflow in context of the positioning of a coil. We do it all the time.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I really don't think it's about age, so much as about a certain mindset
The stubborn REFUSAL to learn...

How about selective stupidity?

Having worked in IT it's amazing how some people can go selectively stupid, trying to get the IT department to do everything for them but their own damned job. "See here - this is how you put the paper in your printer..." FOR THE 147TH TIME!!! Those types didn't seem to last long. I wonder why that was? :question:

And I have a friend who can walk into Staples and manage to find every computer with a game installed, figure it out, and start playing it in under 15 seconds. But when it comes to stuff that actually matters - like how to copy and move files on a Windows computer... yeah, she still tries to play the "Help me!!!" crap.

I figure since she hasn't committed that one to memory yet since her Windows 3.11 days I must be doing something wrong - every frikkin' time I show her how to do it and end up doing it myself in the process. I just tell her to go learn it at the Senior Center now instead - I must be explaining it all wrong - having trained people in an IT department for years and all that...

I'll only take being played for so long.

:headbang:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I figure since she hasn't committed that one to memory yet since her Windows 3.11 days I must be doing something wrong - every frikkin' time I show her how to do it and end up doing it myself in the process. I just tell her to go learn it at the Senior Center now instead - I must be explaining it all wrong - having trained people in an IT department for years and all that...

Windows 3.11, wow, windows for work groups with DOS 6. Thats a long time back lol

The new cards to be released in 2020 will be linked to the users State ID which must be shown at time of use and issue.No ID = No Credit.

It will slow the fraud down a little but not stop it. People will still sell what they have, they just will have to go to the store with whomever is buying it from them, thats all.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Having worked in IT it's amazing how some people can go selectively stupid, trying to get the IT department to do everything for them but their own damned job. "See here - this is how you put the paper in your printer..." FOR THE 147TH TIME!!! Those types didn't seem to last long. I wonder why that was? :question:

And I have a friend who can walk into Staples and manage to find every computer with a game installed, figure it out, and start playing it in under 15 seconds. But when it comes to stuff that actually matters - like how to copy and move files on a Windows computer... yeah, she still tries to play the "Help me!!!" crap.

Heh. When my son was 13, I told him that his expert proficiency with Sega Genesis and Playstation indicated that a washing machine was entirely within his ability to figure out. :giggle: I showed him ONCE how to separate his clothes by color, and explained that washing anything red in the light colored load meant he would be wearing pink underwear for several months... He managed just fine, and didn't wind up with pink underwear. ;) He's lucky, though. I told my parents I wanted to start receiving an allowance... so at the age of 14, I was doing the entire family's laundry. :D And once gifted my stepfather with pink underwear thx to a red sock that mysteriously found its way into the white load. He was extremely unamused.

I tried and tried to explain computer things to my mother... She was a claims examiner for Crawford & Co, for cryin out loud. But she remained mystified by the idea that online passwords were case sensitive to the very end of her life. She also couldn't seem to get the diff between an ID and a password, and if they called it a "passcode", then everything she DID understand went right out the window. I finally pretty much gave up. The last couple years of her life, nearly everytime I walked in her house, she would ask me if I could figure out why she couldn't logon to BofA. I told her to call BofA's tech support number; they know how to deal with people who are terminally dense about computer stuff. :facepalm: And when her old hard drive for her 2001 XP Home Edition finally died, she was insistent that I somehow magic her important stuff off that drive.... I finally told her that yes, if she had about $10,000 to spend on it, someone probably COULD retrieve her data from that crashed drive, but that someone wasn't me.

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Win 3.11 was the last good version till they came with Win98 SE, then Win XP Pro. People seem to hate Win 8, but I don't have any serious problems with 8.1.

Andria

I still have and use a fully tricked out WFWG beast machine. There are a lot of things I can still do better and faster on that one - graphics and word processing among things - than with all the bloatware crap that followed.

I also skip generations of Windoze releases: WFWG - Win 2000 - Window 7. I only buy a new release - and the resulting new hardware you are forced to buy in order to run it of course - when I don't have an alternative.

Right now I'm running wi-fi on a Windows 2000 machine - I see no problems here.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Awww - Juicy your hero died.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/entertainment/don-rickles-dead/index.html

170406140819-don-rickles-2007-exlarge-169.jpg

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I'm in IT as well. Also did many many trainings. I'm on the data team now just coding and BI but I work for a school district and I've never seen so many stupid teachers in my whole life! Now, not all are like that. But most are. Sometimes I wonder how they graduated from college. :eek:
Oh, and I have nothing against teachers, my son is one. Band director.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm in IT as well. Also did many many trainings. I'm on the data team now just coding and BI but I work for a school district and I've never seen so many stupid teachers in my whole life! Now, not all are like that. But most are. Sometimes I wonder how they graduated from college. :eek:
Oh, and I have nothing against teachers, my son is one. Band director.
When dealing with an ID-10-T error, sometimes putting this message on their screen can help. Or, maybe not, if they happen to get the point it may not be a good career move.
ec-id10t.jpg

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
When dealing with an ID-10-T error, sometimes putting this message on their screen can help. Or, maybe not, if they happen to get the point it may not be a good career move.
ec-id10t.jpg

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

How many people would see that and then start looking all over the chair for the input device!?!?!?!

:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pfft....computers are sooooo 5 yrs ago...all internetting is on phones now DUH!
Ummmm, no, when you are old enough you will realize that phones suck for the net, I can't read crap on my phone. Give my at least a 24" monitor, and bigger is better.

Plus phones still don't have the power for serious games.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Ummmm, no, when you are old enough you will realize that phones suck for the net, I can't read crap on my phone. Give my at least a 24" monitor, and bigger is better.

:giggle:

While I do enjoy having the internet in my pocket at all times I agree wholeheartedly that computers are far better for....well...everything but making phone calls...wait...skype...computers win again. I was just making fun of the newer generations:giggle:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

More and more sites are using "Responsive Web Design". Young kids don't need large screens like we do because their eyes are still good. hehehehe
GM all.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Remember getting the shit smacked out of me repeating on of his jokes at about age 12
Dang Lucy that sucks! I am SO sorry you and Andria went through what you did when you were kids. I got spankings when I was a brat(even with the belt sometimes), but NEVER got punched, slapped, etc. I remember getting spanked and having to sit in the corner for 3 hours once on April Fool's day during a thunder storm for telling my parents the neighbor's car was on fire. My "April Fool's" statement wasn't met with the laughter I expected. :oops:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I still have and use a fully tricked out WFWG beast machine. There are a lot of things I can still do better and faster on that one - graphics and word processing among things - than with all the bloatware crap that followed.

I also skip generations of Windoze releases: WFWG - Win 2000 - Window 7. I only buy a new release - and the resulting new hardware you are forced to buy in order to run it of course - when I don't have an alternative.

Right now I'm running wi-fi on a Windows 2000 machine - I see no problems here.

What is WFWG?

I'm with you about new releases; I ONLY get them when whatever version I'm running is completely obsolete -- my XP Pro had been obsolete for a year or more, and considering the nefarious villains online, I really had to have a new machine/version -- the old one was 9 yrs old at that point. But I'm only willing to get a new release if it's a .1 or .01 release, which is why I have 8.1 and not Win10 -- we're all Microsoft's beta testers, but I prefer it to have had a little bug stomping before I have to start wrestling with it -- I remember DOS 4.0 and 5.0 all too well.

When I first got 8.1, it did kinda puzzle me, that "tiles" start page... but I found my way around that to have a regular "desktop" page to work from, and I installed a thing called "Pokki" so I even have a semi-normal "start menu". I like how the bottom line, the taskbar, is icons rather than textboxes for whatever apps are opened, and I also like that you can pin them to the taskbar. I had to do a lot of reading at microsoft's site, to find things like the task manager, and the cmd line box, and the control panel is just a little different, some of the titles/text are slightly different, but it's close enough to what I was used to, it didn't take too long to get comfortable with it. I've had 2-3 instances of it being locked up so tight I had to turn it off just to get it to respond to me again, but in 2 yrs, 2-3 instances isn't bad at all. I had more than that PER WEEK with WinME. :giggle:

Andria

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yeah... it's nice that I CAN get online with my phone, if I'm out and about, or my power's off, or my home internet is down... but for all-the-time-use?? NO FUCKING WAY.

Andria

VU Sponsors