JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I'm considering getting an I phone to replace my aging Galaxy 2, lol

I use an old flip phone for my regular phone needs - it doesn't even have a data plan, lol

Basically, the smart phone is only used when I travel

However, none of the latest travel apps are compatible with my old Galaxy, which I never liked anyway :(

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I use an old flip phone for my regular phone needs - it doesn't even have a data plan, lol

However, none of the latest travel apps are compatible with my old Galaxy, which I never liked anyway :(

If you're willing to shell out the exorbitant price of an iPhone, you could do MUCH better, with an Android phone. And probably for less money.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If you're willing to shell out the exorbitant price of an iPhone, you could do MUCH better, with an Android phone. And probably for less money.

Andria

My Galaxy is Android, though older

The advantage of an iPhone has two very real advantages for me

The disadvantage, of course, you are stuck with iTunes apps, which pisses me off

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My Galaxy is Android, though older

The advantage of an iPhone has two very real advantages for me

The disadvantage, of course, you are stuck with iTunes apps, which pisses me off

The iTunes thing would be a deal-breaker for me, quite aside from the exorbitant price of an iPhone. Also... I'm simply not capable of leaving any electronic device I use in its "default" state -- I even run a custom launcher on my phone, so I don't have to look at the stupid google bar on EVERY screen. The inability to customize an iPhone to my own specs knocks it right out of contention even if they were FREE. The apps I use for dialing and contacts, txt msging, even the keyboard, are all apps that I downloaded, because I didn't like the "stock" apps.

There are apparently a lot of problems with the ZTE Zmax Pro for a lot of people, so I can't really recommend it, even though I've really had no problems with it, and it's only $99 at MetroPCS -- or even free, if you port a new number to Metro from another provider. Apparently at least 40% of the Zmax Pros are buggy lemons; I'm just grateful that I seem to be in the other 60% -- I have to keep refusing to update it, because the latest update apprently fixes a lot of those problems for those who had them, but for those with non-problem phones, it apparently introduces problems -- y'know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D But for the cost of an iPhone, I'd probably go with the new LG, I think it's the G6.

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How's this? lol
Well if you are going for a demon dog, try this one
c99087233538b8cbc41c0f0298d26ff8.jpg

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
More and more sites are using "Responsive Web Design". Young kids don't need large screens like we do because their eyes are still good. hehehehe
GM all.

I wouldn't count on that...

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/myopia.htm

"In fact, a recent study by the National Eye Institute (NEI) shows the prevalence of myopia grew from 25 percent of the U.S. population (ages 12 to 54) in 1971-1972 to a whopping 41.6 percent in 1999-2004.

Though the exact cause for this increase in nearsightedness among Americans is unknown, many eye doctors feel it has something to do with eye fatigue from computer use and other extended near vision tasks, coupled with a genetic predisposition for myopia."

And those are only 2004 figures.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What is WFWG?

Basically Win 3.11 with built in networking. There were a couple additional technical changes as well as I recall.

I remember DOS 4.0 and 5.0 all too well.

MS DOS 4 for was the reason MS DOS 5 had to be created. The bloat in MS DOS 4 was an embarrassment. As I remember if you wanted the most basic configuration - with a mouse driver included - it ate up 140k of conventional memory. No one was happy with that release and it was killed in about 9 months.

I dumped MS at one of the DOS 3 versions, headed straight for DRDOS 6, and never looked back. Throw an expanded memory card in a PC-XT and you could task switch programs on an XT with DRDOS. Woo!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah but they can see close up just fine - like at a distance of up to 18 inches - and everything is getting to be crap beyond that. That's not supposed to be happening to 12 year olds.

That was about the age at which I became myopic -- and none of this electronic shit existed then. My son too; he played video games on the TV, but not right up at his face, and he didn't get much PC time until he was already in high school.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Basically Win 3.11 with built in networking. There were a couple additional technical changes as well as I recall.

MS DOS 4 for was the reason MS DOS 5 had to be created. The bloat in MS DOS 4 was an embarrassment. As I remember if you wanted the most basic configuration - with a mouse driver included - it ate up 140k of conventional memory. No one was happy with that release and it was killed in about 9 months.

I dumped MS at one of the DOS 3 versions, headed straight for DRDOS 6, and never looked back. Throw an expanded memory card in a PC-XT and you could task switch programs on an XT with DRDOS. Woo!

I ran 4.01, then later 5.01; for a long time at that point, I only had 2MB RAM, so I multitasked with Desqview, a text-based multitasker; QEMM beat himem.sys all to HELL for a high memory mgr. I think I still used QEMM even after I got 2 more MB and started running Win 3. I was a config.sys nerd, always doing things in it that I wasn't supposed to be able to do... but I did them just fine. :D

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ran 4.01, then later 5.01; for a long time at that point, I only had 2MB RAM, so I multitasked with Desqview, a text-based multitasker; QEMM beat himem.sys all to HELL for a high memory mgr. I think I still used QEMM even after I got 2 more MB and started running Win 3. I was a config.sys nerd, always doing things in it that I wasn't supposed to be able to do... but I did them just fine. :D

Andria
Only 2 megs? But why the hell did you need more than 640k?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Only 2 megs? But why the hell did you need more than 640k?

2 megs on a 386sx was workable, with Desqview -- I could *load* windows, but it ran like old people fuck. :giggle: Once I got 4mb, it became more usable.

I used the space between 640 and 1024 to load all that neat shit in my config.sys. :D QEMM... a FOSSIL driver for the locked port in my UART...and a few other goodies.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I just use a flip phone with no data plan.
I use a Kindle Fire for a portable computer. Not actually much larger than some cell phones now :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok.. I need more suggestions for my quit smoking banner. I don't like the one from ecigalternative, because it says "vaping since" -- I've been vaping almost half a year longer than I've been smoke-free. And I don't want one that says "pounds", since I don't spend pounds, I spend dollars. Apparently waiting on SinceMyLastCigarette is a fool's errand.

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah the richest man on earth once said we would not ever need over 640K.
That is, of course, the popular conception, but as far as I know, no one has ever proven that Billy boy said that. At one time when I dug into it, the earliest recorded reference to that quote was on somebody's signature in the early 90's, even though it was supposed to have been said in 1981. So it may be an urban legend.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That is, of course, the popular conception, but as far as I know, no one has ever proven that Billy boy said that. At one time when I dug into it, the earliest recorded reference to that quote was on somebody's signature in the early 90's, even though it was supposed to have been said in 1981. So it may be an urban legend.

That's exactly what it is. I always heard this too, and it's certainly amusing, but according to a book I recently got on Kindle, "500 Things People Believe That Aren't True", this is one of them.

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Yes but there were truths to the IBM story about memory on the first PC regarding "why would anyone need more than 64 kb of RAM?" Those first generation PC's definitely had their hard wired limitations.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I found a link to get a reddit banner. So even though I don't have a clue how to use reddit, and it says "analogs" which is stupid, and only shows the days, not the actual breakdown of the time, it's better than nothing, and it's better than saying I've been vaping for that amount of time, when my *vaping* time is actually a good bit longer.

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I found a link to get a reddit banner. So even though I don't have a clue how to use reddit, and it says "analogs" which is stupid, and only shows the days, not the actual breakdown of the time, it's better than nothing, and it's better than saying I've been vaping for that amount of time, when my *vaping* time is actually a good bit longer.

Andria
You could always write the code to make one that says what you want it to, and find somewhere to host it. I might actually use it if you did that, since I don't like most of the same things you don't like about many of the banners that are out there.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You could always write the code to make one that says what you want it to, and find somewhere to host it. I might actually use it if you did that, since I don't like most of the same things you don't like about many of the banners that are out there.

I can't write code, unfortunately. And, I no longer have a webhost either.

Andria

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey all. Getting ready to go in for my final day on Grey's, my 3 day shoot turned into a 6 day. Yesterday the director found out I was an actual firefighter (even though I am playing a cop in this one), and I became her unofficial technical advisor on "placing" the firefighters in the scene :p

Maybe that will translate into a good role in the future, if they need a firefighter for something :D

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Andria

There was an ad in the paper about getting a free iPhone 6 with my current service provider - yes, I am going for an iPhone

I already hate my Galaxy, the iPhone can't be that much worse, lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey all. Getting ready to go in for my final day on Grey's, my 3 day shoot turned into a 6 day. Yesterday the director found out I was an actual firefighter (even though I am playing a cop in this one), and I became her unofficial technical advisor on "placing" the firefighters in the scene :p

Maybe that will translate into a good role in the future, if they need a firefighter for something :D
Things are looking up for ya!

VU Sponsors