Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reminds me of the stupid crap they advise you to do instead of smoking

I'll pass on the spinners

Same here on the spinners.
I am kinda an anti fashion type.
And spinners are a fashion/trend thing.

and on the quit smoking aspect.
I think showing my wife a study about more sex could help you stop smoking caused her to get me an ecig kit....

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

and on the quit smoking aspect.
I think showing my wife a study about more sex could help you stop smoking caused her to get me an ecig kit....

Thought sex made you want a cigarette afterwards, lol

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I dunno, but she was very obviously a lot smarter than Ginger... or Gilligan, for that matter. Maybe the captain too, and definitely both of the Howells. I'm undecided about the Professor; he could make a radio out of a coconut, but couldn't fix a boat? They shoulda let Maryann at it.

Andria

You do realize you are trying to quantify the relative intelligence of fictional television characters?

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll pass on the spinners

I guess you could say that.

Spinners-Photo-12014.jpg

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There is this weirdo who flits through town periodically that I do business with - he couldn't believe how much I look like....Alice Cooper :eek:

Kept going on and on about it and it really hurt my feelings - which is hard to do - until I did a comparison :facepalm:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
There is this weirdo who flits through town periodically that I do business with - he couldn't believe how much I look like....Alice Cooper :eek:

Kept going on and on about it and it really hurt my feelings - which is hard to do - until I did a comparison :facepalm:

I realized my likeness to Geddy as far back as the album 'Signals' -- the one with Subdivisions on it, so, 70s I reckon. It's really not a flattering likeness, and my nose isn't QUITE that large/long... but close. :giggle:

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A three hour tour and the Howe's pack thirty years worth of clothing? Nah, there was nothing up at all. Figure the Howe's needed to avoid taxes. Consider too the captain of the ship was allegedly a stalwart seaman, why would someone like that go out against a storm that surely was announced in every marina? Nope, nothing to see here for sure. Then you think about the movie starlet and her plain Jane partner from the corn fields, good way to avoid crushing a relationship with social pressure, go live on a deserted island. No way, there was nothing strange going on with that Minnow.

As for picking one of the characters to crush on, I kind of would have tossed up between Mary Ann and the Professor, or both. I never really crushed on anyone on Gilligan's, though. It was just a silly television show to me only tied to recalling being a bit intuitive.

Hm, there I go getting lost again. Not sure what more if anything to add. Excuse me.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
You do realize you are trying to quantify the relative intelligence of fictional television characters?
I had a crush on the professor. :inlove:
I just can't believe it's already Friday. Where the hell did this week go?

It's really true... the older you get, the faster you get old! :facepalm:

Andria
This week truly just flew by.
Congrats Lucy!

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Unless the only question is "Does my car need an engine to run?" I'm not going to bother taking that quiz, because my knowledge of engines (or anything else car related) is pretty slim. Guess I'm not a manly man.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I'm a girl, and I got 25 correct out of 30, so it's really not that hard -- internal combustion engines really aren't that complicated. If you've driven for a few decades and had to deal with ordinary vehicle maintenance, you probably know as much as I do.

Andria

ETA: beware of the steam engine questions -- who the fuck knows anything about those, who was born mid-20th century???? The only 2 I missed that relate to the internal combustion engine were #9 - timing belt? WTF? and #13... the other 3 I missed were about steam engines!

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Unless the only question is "Does my car need an engine to run?" I'm not going to bother taking that quiz, because my knowledge of engines (or anything else car related) is pretty slim. Guess I'm not a manly man.

Don't feel too horrible. I had small motor & engine rebuilding & repairing as part of the welding course in high school. I know only the very "rough" basics but still feel like a gorilla with all thumbs and somehow go all hazy when looking at a car, lawn mower, weed eater to rebuild/repair. I do not get all toked up "Yee ha! Lemme go wrench on a car!"

Of course, I really don't get all that excited about much of anything. Days are days like any other day to me. Part of the KS for me, I'm a constant general depressed all the time, or well, hm .. flat.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you've driven for a few decades

Despite all the job listings pushing me to ---- Drive for Uber! Drive for Lyft! Get your CDL Today!

I do not drive. I have veophobia, yes it is a real phobia. Yes It can be allegedly "cured", problem being no one has patience nor time to let me learn. I can though do somewhat okay operating open cockpit/driving seat things like fork lifts, bulldozers, to a degree bob cat type things. Granted I'm not the "greatest" with them but I can manage to not lock up in pure terror, and operate them within reason.

ETA: Yeah, I know I'm weird, fucked up, strange, odd, not quite got a full deck. Last I checked, takes all kinds. I'm okay being me, well I'm not but what else, who else can I be?

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Despite all the job listings pushing me to ---- Drive for Uber! Drive for Lyft! Get your CDL Today!

I do not drive. I have veophobia, yes it is a real phobia. Yes It can be allegedly "cured", problem being no one has patience nor time to let me learn. I can though do somewhat okay operating open cockpit/driving seat things like fork lifts, bulldozers, to a degree bob cat type things. Granted I'm not the "greatest" with them but I can manage to not lock up in pure terror, and operate them within reason.

I grok phobias -- I had a terrible time, when my PTSD was at a terrible peak, with being a rider in a car -- anytime he'd hit the brakes suddenly, I'd scream and try to burrow into the footwell while still wearing a seatbelt! I still become agitated when he hits the brakes suddenly -- if only he'd stop tailgating! -- but it's eased a bit since we got a truck -- our new Silverado is the tallest one yet, and it helps me a GREAT deal, being able to have such a clear and unobstructed view of everything around, and I don't feel like those semis are about to squash me like a bug, either. :D

I dunno about "cures" for phobias, but if you work at it, you can alleviate some of your distress. Driving those work vehicles is a good thing, and may help your driving phobia quite a bit. I actually find driving to be far less distressing than riding; I'm in control of the vehicle, rather than being completely powerless... but I confess, I don't drive in places where I'm not totally familiar with all the roads, the lanes and whatnot; I'm not sure that's a phobia, or just anxiety, of which I have a great deal about many things. :D

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well veophobia is simply fear of driving an automobile. It is "normally" brought on by having come through a traumatic accident in an automobile.

I can think of only think the following incident, such as may have brought it on.

My mom was driving a Mercury Cougar once and held it in full skid, brought it out twice, went with it the third time to avoid the electric pole. She had ran across a patch of what is now called "black ice". The state trooper who coincidentally was checking road conditions, and following her said he knew she was not drinking, he commended her for holding it as she did. He too skidded in coming up behind her.

Not sure if that had an effect on me. If so it's odd it did not effect my two younger brothers the same. I lock up behind the steering wheel of a car, pickup truck. Everything "comes in" and I get terrified of either hurting myself or others, then get paralyzed and unable to function beyond white knuckling the steering wheel.

This is exactly why I do make an effort toward using forklifts, bulldozers and such. This helps me to gain confidence and maybe I can eventually "get there" to drive an automobile.Yes, I know that seems counter intuitive, perhaps even riskier, I always go backwards ... learn the hard way. No joking, it kind of took me a few days to figure out using a fence post digger, a manual one not a motored one. That's just me though, I learn like that, hard first.

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I know next to nothing about cars and if asked to identify a single part named (other than engine) when looking under the hood I would draw a complete blank. However, I did manage to scrape together 24 correct answers, and not by guessing but most of them seemed pretty logical and like Andria said, having had to deal with ordinary vehicle maintenance helped with some of the logic.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I know next to nothing about cars and if asked to identify a single part named (other than engine) when looking under the hood I would draw a complete blank. However, I did manage to scrape together 24 correct answers, and not by guessing but most of them seemed pretty logical and like Andria said, having had to deal with ordinary vehicle maintenance helped with some of the logic.

What's really weird is that though I am NO mechanic, and like you, probably couldn';t identify much of the stuff under the hood, I can nearly always diagnose whatever is wrong with a vehicle which is misbehaving. I think it's just hard experience, having suffered thru quite a few beaters in my youth. :D

Memories of all those beaters and all the drama of not having a working vehicle is why my husband and I agreed 20 years ago to ALWAYS have a "car note," in order to have a fully-functional dependable late model vehicle -- we never ever pay off a vehicle, because if we did, the money for that car note would get used by something else, and then when we needed a new vehicle, we'd have no budget for it. So we finance a car, and keep it for 3-5 yrs, never fully paying it off... and trade it in when it starts giving us the nickel-and-dime bullshit, but BEFORE it gets so bad that it cuts into the trade-in value too severely. And we can ALWAYS depend on our vehicle starting when we need it -- which is literally priceless.

Andria

VU Sponsors