Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might want to look up NearlyFreeSpeech they offer pay as you go hosting services & only pay for what you use. They claim you can establish a hosting account with them for $0.25. You put money in your hosting account, for example you put in $20 and have their system send you an email when your account gets to $5. As far as I know, they do not autobill.

Note: I do not host with them nor am I attempting to sell their services. I have just seen them for quite a while & often thought I might host with them.

That sounds very interesting, I may look into that. Though I haven't really done much of anything webmasterish in quite a while, other than my AngryVaper site, and I could probably do that very well with Blogger. The image hosting is working swell using Tumblr -- the image just above my quit-smoking banner is now on Tumblr, and occasionally I want to post an animated GIF or a really big JPG.

I copied all my articles to documents in my google drive, so I'd still have them once my actual site was gone, so it wouldn't be hard to get them back online, using Blogger. The main one that I often refer to is my About WTA article.

Andria

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
image.gif

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Them too! :headbang: But guess what... I have a smartphone now! So if my comcast went off, I could use my 4G LTE! :D I never did figure out how to connect my actual computer with the phone's internet connection; you know Windows has the most arcane way of dealing with connectivity... but I do have a tablet, which can connect very easily via the phone's wi-fi hotspot, since it's another Android device.

Andria

If your carrier prohibits or charges extra for tethering, you need to get the Foxfi PDANet app on your phone, and on your PC. Enable USB tethering on your phone, launch PDANet on your PC, and voila. I use it WITH my HomeFusion LTE broadband, and I can get some blazing speeds going, for being out in the middle of a forest.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Eh....finally about done pushing papers around just in time to do it all again next week. How bout you?

Kodak!, Oh Snap! I owe you some tasting notes. Well, 1 tasting note, as that is all I have tried so far from your lovely care package, and thank you! I crushed the Wild melon Cheesecake like a paper cup. VERY good, and unique. I have a LOT of rewicking to do to get a reference vape going for more tasting, but so far, I like where you are headed!! :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Had a major storm last night and power went out around midnight after not one but two tree fell over onto power lines.

Just now getting going - got tons of work to do, but thought I'd say GFY - especially to the new Fugees :giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might want to look up NearlyFreeSpeech they offer pay as you go hosting services & only pay for what you use. They claim you can establish a hosting account with them for $0.25. You put money in your hosting account, for example you put in $20 and have their system send you an email when your account gets to $5. As far as I know, they do not autobill.

Note: I do not host with them nor am I attempting to sell their services. I have just seen them for quite a while & often thought I might host with them.

That sounds very interesting, I may look into that. Though I haven't really done much of anything webmasterish in quite a while, other than my AngryVaper site, and I could probably do that very well with Blogger. The image hosting is working swell using Tumblr -- the image just above my quit-smoking banner is now on Tumblr, and occasionally I want to post an animated GIF or a really big JPG.

I copied all my articles to documents in my google drive, so I'd still have them once my actual site was gone, so it wouldn't be hard to get them back online, using Blogger. The main one that I often refer to is my About WTA article.

Andria

Thx much for this tip about NFSN; I'm looking at it now, and it sounds perfect for the type of small, low-traffic site that my AngryVaper site definitely is. But I'm thinking of using a simpler script this time, than a full-on Joomla! installation; as much as I love Joomla!, it's a huge beast, and way overkill for a small site like that. I want something that will make it easier to update/post via mobile, since I've joined the 21st century finally. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If your carrier prohibits or charges extra for tethering, you need to get the Foxfi PDANet app on your phone, and on your PC. Enable USB tethering on your phone, launch PDANet on your PC, and voila. I use it WITH my HomeFusion LTE broadband, and I can get some blazing speeds going, for being out in the middle of a forest.

No, MetroPCS provides free mobile hot-spot ability with every account. I did have that PDAnet app installed on my phone, guess it's still on my PC, but I could NOT figute out how to use it, how to get the PC looking to the phone for internet access -- and it's not the phone that's the problem, it's fucking Windows OF COURSE; the way its "networking" shit is setup, I really can't make heads nor tails of it. :facepalm: Naturally it can't be as straightforward as the way that Android handles it.

Andria

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Kodak!, Oh Snap! I owe you some tasting notes. Well, 1 tasting note, as that is all I have tried so far from your lovely care package, and thank you! I crushed the Wild melon Cheesecake like a paper cup. VERY good, and unique. I have a LOT of rewicking to do to get a reference vape going for more tasting, but so far, I like where you are headed!! :)
3 words Moo, Iced Lemon Cookie.
OK, 2 more words, Orchard Melon.

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
3 words Moo, Iced Lemon Cookie.
OK, 2 more words, Orchard Melon.

That was all I needed. Invoicing is done, grabbed up my favorite Petri, tore out the old, burned, and have the new wick in now with the Iced Lemon Cookie. SO AUTHENTIC!! Really a nice flavor. The cookie is spot on, and the icing is just right. NOICE, Kodak! Is a keeper, you know I'ma be hoping for some recipes. :) Will try the Orchard Melon later tonite, with Game of Thrones. :)

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Every time I went overseas for business I worked my end off and had no time for fun.

My end got a bit old to meet.
Paid my dues.

As a teenager, I once worked as an illegal alien in Canada, picking blueberries, mainly with Hindus

They kicked my ass at blue berry picking, hands down :giggle:

VU Sponsors