Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I really don't think I'm in any danger of drinking; I'm really not that person anymore. And I accepted a long time ago that life is filled with both joy and sorrow; you cannot have one without the other. But knowing that is easy; enduring the sorrow is not. Mainly I'm just so angry that she refused to modify anything about her life, totally ignoring the diabetes as hard as she could; she didn't have to die this young, if she'd only taken responsibilty for her health like an adult -- these days, 75 is really not that old -- my aunt Betty is going to be 84 in a couple weeks, and though she has some health problems, she deals with them as an adult, taking responsibility.

But if nothing else, this only strengthens my own resolve to be proactive about my weight and my diet and my health. And triples my determination to go out with a massive heart attack that just fells me in my tracks, so I never have to endure the hell that my mom has been going thru all week, hooked up to every form of medical technology that exists, pretty much.

I talked to my stepfather a few minutes ago, and it looks like they might try last-ditch dialysis; it won't save her, but might give her a few more hours, so that perhaps I can be there with her this evening, before she passes.

Andria
My mother didn't really take responsibility for hers either much. I had to force her to do her physical therapy. I felt like a drill sergeant sometimes. It is what it is Andria. Like Lucy said, your feelings are normal. Do what you must.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I spent the last 2 years of my mothers life being a co-caregiver with a sister.
She died of dementia, Alzheimer's ?

Was VERY rough....
Did not think I could do it till I did.
Wow Croms, I had no idea! Me and my sister were co-caregivers for my mom for almost 4 years. It was extremely difficult. My whole life was in a fog during that time. And it took another few years to get out of the fog.
My mother died of kidney failure. The doc prescribed too much digoxin for her congestive heart failure.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm back at the hospital. The decision has been made to turn off life support, because her vital signs are declining sharply even WITH life support. There is no more hope for any sort of recovery, if in fact she's not gone already. We're just waiting for my stepfather's daughter to get here.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm back at the hospital. The decision has been made to turn off life support, because her vital signs are declining sharply even WITH life support. There is no more hope for any sort of recovery, if in fact she's not gone already. We're just waiting for my stepfather's daughter to get here.

Andria
Hang in there sweetie. Thinking of you. :blowkiss:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Andria

So sorry Andria -

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Andria
Hugs Andria, we are here for you if you need anything.:hug:

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Andria

Sorry to hear this Andria, while it's just a forum if there's anything I can do. I'm here. :hug:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My mother's body's suffering ended a little after 4pm, a little over an hour ago... but I think she was already gone. I went in just briefly right after we got here, but there was no sense of *her* at all. I'm taking a break out in the truck, to vape, and get away from all my crying relatives. But I have no earthly idea how I'll deal with life, without a mother, no matter the problems we've always had. But at least her pain and suffering is over. RIP, Mama.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My mother's body's suffering ended a little after 4pm, a little over an hour ago... but I think she was already gone. I went in just briefly right after we got here, but there was no sense of *her* at all. I'm taking a break out in the truck, to vape, and get away from all my crying relatives. But I have no earthly idea how I'll deal with life, without a mother, no matter the problems we've always had. But at least her pain and suffering is over. RIP, Mama.

Andria
Oh Andria honey. You'll deal with life without her. You will. It's going to be tough at first, but trust me, it WILL get better. I promise! I don't know anyone that had a perfect relationship with their mom, and only a few that had a great one. But it doesn't matter. She was your mother, and you loved her. And she knew that. :hug:

Last edited:

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
I'm so, so sorry. :hug:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Andria
Oh Andria, I'm so sorry hun. I know you were preparing for it, but I know it's still gonna be a very difficult time for you. Again, we are all here for you, prayers for you and your family.:hug:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Andria

You do what you gotta dear - wish we could be there for you :)

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
You know it's a pretty bad day when coming home and figuring out your money for deposit so you can pay the bills is a welcome distraction.

Andria

And comfort in the knowledge that, that distraction is better than the alternatives. I am proud of you and you still give me hope my friend. If you need me I am around. :hug:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And comfort in the knowledge that, that distraction is better than the alternatives. I am proud of you and you still give me hope my friend. If you need me I am around. :hug:

Well, we went to Subway to get sandwiches for dinner; they didn't have the carved turkey, but they had turkey breast, and I'm currently frying up some bacon to add to it (I hate theirs, they nuke it instead of frying it properly), and that smell is so wonderful after 3 days of "hospital." I hope I never see the inside of that fucking hospital again. And I got to hear my favorite Chili Peppers' song on the radio, "The Other Side." Fitting I guess, but if my mom had ever heard the Chili Peppers, I'm sure she'd have said TURN THAT SHIT OFF! :giggle:

Andria

SirVtHondaGuy08

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, we went to Subway to get sandwiches for dinner; they didn't have the carved turkey, but they had turkey breast, and I'm currently frying up some bacon to add to it (I hate theirs, they nuke it instead of frying it properly), and that smell is so wonderful after 3 days of "hospital." I hope I never see the inside of that fucking hospital again. And I got to hear my favorite Chili Peppers' song on the radio, "The Other Side." Fitting I guess, but if my mom had ever heard the Chili Peppers, I'm sure she'd have said TURN THAT SHIT OFF! :giggle:

Andria

Sorry for your loss Andria, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

But on a different note, our hospital has a "restaurant" in it that's amazing. Locally sourced products, roof top garden. We've actually considered just going there to eat! When we lived in the hospital while the boy was in the NICU it's the only place we ate, the other cafeterias had okay food but you could tell it was mass produced and sitting for hours on end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
Just something to help you chill....

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just something to help you chill....

Not really sure who that is, but I never liked that song. I dislike gratuitous violence intensely, along with anything that celebrates it. I think one of the only exceptions to that is Disturbed's "Down with the Sickness." I always liked that, for some reason -- frankly it beats the shit out of me, with that weird grunting noise he makes.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
I'm so so sorry Andria. ((((Hugs))))

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
More gropee's are coming outta the wood work. Trump is wrong. Being rich doesn't let you do anything. Being arrogant and bold in a world where a lot of people are meek and mild lets you do anything. Being rich just helps when you do what you want to somebody, who isn't going to take your shit. Lawyers aren't cheap.

I donno, it just too damn convenient. A billionaire goes his entire life without these accusations and all of a sudden a month before the election all these accusations surface. We have one candidate who lied and lied and lied. Lied to congress, lied to the FBI, lied to the American people, and her actions have cause Americans to die yet we are distracted by groping accusations? Really people?
Funny how people get all upset when they are considered sheeple..........

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
Andria
condolences.gif

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
All you guys... :blowkiss:

As for me, why in hell am I awake at this hour? I didn't go to bed till, hell I dunno, 2 or 3. Woke up with a cramp in my foot/leg, walked it off, and couldn't go back to sleep. I'd love to think I'll take a nap this afternoon, but considering that yesterday was payday, the ol man is going to do the deposit today, and we have to do our grocerying at some point, I dunno if a nap is in the cards. I do know I'm going to forward my cellphone to my husband's, so that when someone in my family calls about an appt at a funeral home, the call can go to him; after 3 days of hospital, sickness, death, and tears, I NEED A FUCKING BREAK. I think they can handle putting on a funeral without me; I'll show up for the service.

I'm not a christian, though I was raised that way, and I remember a pertinent quote, which I never understood till now: "Let the dead bury the dead."

Andria

Reign

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Andria

Sounds like my Dad, after I have been working on his truck and have changed it to the local alt. rock station. When he gets in and starts it up you would think he's trying to stop a car bomb from going off as fast as he reaches to change it. Sometimes I think about putting it on a local rap station but he carries a handgun in the truck. :giggle::giggle:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sounds like my Dad, after I have been working on his truck and have changed it to the local alt. rock station. When he gets in and starts it up you would think he's trying to stop a car bomb from going off as fast as he reaches to change it. Sometimes I think about putting it on a local rap station but he carries a handgun in the truck. :giggle::giggle:

Smart man! Anyone who ever set my radio on rap crap... I'D HUNT DOWN AND KILL SLOWLY.

It's just that my mom's generation of rock n roll was like, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, et al.... :D

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think they can handle putting on a funeral without me; I'll show up for the service.

I'm not a christian, though I was raised that way, and I remember a pertinent quote, which I never understood till now: "Let the dead bury the dead."

Andria
Andria, it's this reason that I have planned my funeral, wrote it down and made sure EVERYONE involved know where to find the info. I want to be cremated, ashes thrown in a box, take a shovel to the cemetery, dig an appropriately sized hole at the end of my dad's plot and throw the box in the hole and cover it. I want it done at sundown with Braid Paisley and Dolly Parton singing when "I Get Where I'm Going". No service at all! Easy peasy! :)

VU Sponsors