Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Why You Should Add Swiss Chard to Your Garden​
Providing an abundance of fiber, essential minerals and nutrients, Swiss chard has noteworthy benefits that rival those of its more popular peers in the world of leafy greens.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

What Are Heirloom Vegetables?​

What are heirloom vegetables? Learn about the heirloom seeds definition and the many advantages over modern hybrid seeds. Most have superior taste and nutrition and have developed resistance to local pests and diseases.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Tree Chat
"Desert Peaches"
April 11
Click HERE to register​

Seed Chat
"Companion Planting" April 18 Click HERE to Register​

Garden Chat
"Deep Dive in Soil"
April 25
Click HERE to Register​

April 26 - Feeding w/ Foliar and Fertigation
with Greg Peterson and Janis Norton
Click HERE to enroll!​

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE TEA FROM YOUR OWN GARDEN​

It's getting to be that time of year for my Purple, White Clovers with Dandelions tea...yummy and getting impatient, lol.

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's getting to be that time of year for my Purple, White Clovers with Dandelions tea...yummy and getting impatient, lol.

That sounds delicious, I thought about white (Dutch) clover as a row cover crop to help with the weeds.

I am gonna try some lemon balm to add to my tea mixes, first time I have grown it

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Save today!
Fight garden pests and increase your yields the natural way with this tried-and-true technique! Planting vegetables and flowers together is one of the oldest ways to create a healthy, bountiful garden, but there's more to the method than you might think. Vegetables Love Flowers will walk you through the ins and outs of companion planting, from how it works to which plants go together and how to grow the best garden for your climate.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,
WOW it has been a big year for me. Moving 1900 miles from Phoenix to Asheville was huge and in many ways a refresher. I have been asked many times why? The big reason is that as I age I was looking for a quieter place to me and boy is it!

The other big realization that I had once I landed - I have been self employed for 47 years and when self employed is your profession, often we work ALL the time and I did...so I needed a rest!
Now it is time to get active again and get working on our new farm on four acres just outside of Asheville, NC. Progress is being made. I recently leveled a spot for our garden (check out the video HERE), built a privacy fence, am prepping almost 200 fruit trees and berry plants for planting and Heidi took on refurbishing an amazing pond that we discovered on the property that had been filled in with dirt. Videos will be coming on all of these projects.
I am also very excited to be offering an online free webinar about foliar feeding and fertigation systems on April 26.
This process is a super simple application of spraying liquid organic fertilizer on your trees and garden plants. The leaves, branches and trunks are incredible at absorbing nutrients, and if your soil isn’t great, or your pH is off, foliar feeding is a quick and effective fix to get your plants the nutrients they need.
Want to learn more? Join us for our free online webinar on how to apply this amazing process to your gardens and fruit trees. With Q&A following.
Click HERE to learn the ins and outs of foliar feeding and discover just what is fertigation. Join us Wednesday, April 26th at 4pm AZ & Pacific / 7pm Eastern. If you can't make it live we will send out the recording. Feeding with Foliar and Fertigation.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That sounds delicious, I thought about white (Dutch) clover as a row cover crop to help with the weeds.

I am gonna try some lemon balm to add to my tea mixes, first time I have grown it

It is ! Eating them mixed with fruit as a salad is also tasty :)

Let me know how you like it.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When you imagine a thriving garden, what do you see? A sprawling country landscape, complete with chickens? Acres of vegetables? A cottage surrounded with herbs and flowers?

Gardens are so beautiful and exciting that our imaginations want to go BIG. But sometimes, thinking big can make gardening feel overwhelming and out of reach.

That's why Stacey Murphy founded Grow Your Own Vegetables. Since that time, she has taught tens of thousands of people about dozens of gardening topics. She got started with just two trays of greens on a bookshelf in a studio apartment in Brooklyn, and everything grew from there.

Big garden dreams often start small.

Growing a container garden is a simple step that can lead to big things, no matter how much garden space or experience you have. Containers give you the flexibility to grow indoors or outdoors.

For beginners, container growing offers a chance to learn gardening basics without having to invest a lot of time and money.

For more experienced growers, incorporating containers into your garden routine can increase your garden space and extend your growing season.

But before you get started, there's something you should know...

Plants grown in containers are not connected to the earth’s soil, so they rely on the fertility available in the container to thrive. That’s why one of the most important elements to get right for container gardening is the growing medium!

>>> Download Your Free Guide to Container Growing Medium here!

If you’ve ever shopped for growing medium at a garden center, you know how confusing it can be. Are you looking for soil? Garden soil? Potting soil? Potting mix? Seed starting mix? What’s the difference? Oh, and should it be natural? Organic? OMRI listed? Should it have fertilizers included? Ahhh!

There are so many options available. So how do you choose what’s right for you?

We’re here to help! In this video and free download, you’ll find helpful tips on selecting your container growing medium:

🌿 Why to use potting mix instead of soil in your containers
🌿 Demystify potting mix terminology, so you can shop smart
🌿 Key ingredients to look for that give your plants all the nutrition they need…naturally!

Once you know how potting mix ingredients work together to provide fertility to your plants, you are empowered to make great choices.

>>> Download Your Free Guide to Container Growing Medium here!

Just a few small, simple steps, and you can get started growing your container garden TODAY.

To your thriving garden,

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,
At the Urban Farm Podcast we are all about education, and April is foliar feeding month…have you heard of it?
One of the first things many of us learn when we start to garden is how to water & fertilize the soil. But there is an exception to this rule, and it’s called 'foliar feeding'. You should foliar feed, or water the leaves of your plants with liquid fertilizer, when you want certain nutrients to be absorbed faster.
Not only are the leaves great at up taking liquid fertilizers, if your soil isn’t very good, or your pH is off, foliar feeding can help your veggies & fruit trees quickly get the nutrients they need to thrive.
If you are ready to start foliar feeding for maximum growth, yields, and quality, join us for our free online webinar called Feeding with Foliar and Fertigation.
Learn the ins and outs of foliar feeding and discover just what is fertigation. Join us Wednesday, April 26th at 4pm AZ&Pacific / 7pm Eastern. If you can't make it live we will send out the recording. Click HERE to register.

Greg Peterson
Your Urban Farmer
Janis Norton
Urban Farm Manager

P.S. Foliar feeding is the most effective and revolutionary way we can nurture our gardens. Join us for this free online webinar HERE

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Companion Planting Flowers With Vegetables​

Learn a little of the science behind companion planting and find out why companion planting flowers with vegetables is beneficial for your garden and your plants.​

Raised Row Gardening Companion Planting​

Looking for a companion planting garden layout? Check out this guide to raised row gardening and get all the info you need to start companion planting.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Companion Planting: Strawberries, Asparagus, Rhubarb and Horseradish​

You can plant an asparagus and strawberry garden bed to last a lifetime, and add in rhubarb and horseradish as a bonus. Originally published as "Old-Fashioned Companion Planting" in the February/March 1995 issue of MOTHER EARTH NEWS.​

Companion Planting With Vegetables and Flowers​

Companion planting is defined as the establishment of two or more species in close proximity so that some cultural benefit, such as pest control or increased yield, may be achieved.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

An In-Depth Companion Planting Guide​

For a healthy, thriving garden, consult this companion planting guide when you're deciding what seeds to put where.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
logo
Hi Jimi,

150 million acres of crops covered in deadly pesticide coated seeds now blanket the U.S. – an area three times the size of California!

These poisonous seeds cause mass die-offs of bee populations and threaten hundreds of endangered species. Just one tiny seed can fatally poison a bird.

Despite this destruction, a government loophole has allowed pesticide giants like Monsanto to sell these toxic seeds with minimal regulation. And they’ve stopped at nothing to profit off this poison. Until now.

After thousands of hours of work, our legal team is gearing up to file a lawsuit on behalf of pollinator protection groups and farmers to finally regulate pesticide-coated seeds.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We need to talk about bees.
I agree... I love bees (but not wasps...just being honest) I was always good with bees (more ore less)
I was a landscaper and my co-worker convinced me to not fear bees. It was amazing... messing with bushes covered with bees and they didn't bother me. In fact, the only times I ever got stung was as a kid walking around barefoot and I stepped on one (not the same for wasps) They are so special and so important for pollinating plants. If we can help by planting certain plants for them, I'm all for it.

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Last year, I grew some basil (it got really big and did well) later in the season, even though I tried to trim the blooms, it just exploded with blooms. I made a comment about how the bees loved it and let ti go for them. I will do the same this year.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Last year, I grew some basil (it got really big and did well) later in the season, even though I tried to trim the blooms, it just exploded with blooms. I made a comment about how the bees loved it and let ti go for them. I will do the same this year.
Great idea my friend, the more bees you can get to the garden the better.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey there!

While we all have soil, air, water, & sun, the combination of those elements is special to our location. 🌱💨💧☀️

So how is it that we can help gardeners from six different continents and 157 countries grow vegetables and herbs?

This is going to be a bit controversial:

Here’s what we don't ask people…what growing zone they live in. 🤯

Because growing zones don’t tell you the whole story. In fact, they only tell you ONE small detail about your garden.

So instead of that… what other questions can we ask to learn about your unique conditions?

Because when you know more about your unique conditions, you can grow more food. 🥕

That’s what this video is all about…

[Video] Growing Zones: 5 Factors zones can't predict

And what’s so cool is that you can actually alter your garden climate (create microclimates) to get more fresh food from your gardening efforts! 😃😎🎉

Explore ways you can maximize your harvest…

See you in the garden!

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Pinching and Pruning to Increase Yield​

Learn how to prune like a pro with pinching and pruning to increase yield while coaxing plants into fullness or lankiness.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Pruning Grapes In Fall For Maximum Harvests​

Wondering how to prune grape vines on a trellis? Pruning grapes in fall can help maximize harvests and overwinter the plants successfully.​

Fruit Tree Pruning Basics​

Learn how you can do a better job of pruning fruit tress by using these two easy types of cuts, investing in good tools, and proper goal setting.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How To Prune Blackberries Video​

Watch this how to prune blackberries video to get all the information you need on pruning blackberries after fruiting. Learn from a gardening expert at Gurney's Seed.​

Prune Lemon Trees in Summer​

Whether you want to prune lemon trees in summer or start pruning a lemon tree indoors, you can learn pretty quickly and improve your yield and the health of your tree.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How do you make your salads the most exciting?!

Especially with crispy greens, crunchy carrots and juicy tomatoes at the peak of freshness, straight from your garden. 😋

Whether you are harvesting fresh veggies from your outdoor garden or from an indoor windowsill garden in your kitchen, the freshness makes a world of a difference!

Today we are sharing with you a recipe that you can make as something to help you craft a wonderfully lively salad without too much forethought; a great companion to anything from your year-round garden.

Dried Fruit Vinaigrette

This recipe allows you to get creative with adding various combinations of dried fruits to the recipe. It is a wonderful way to use dried pears, apples, berries or other fruits you may have from your harvest or farmer’s market. This vinaigrette carries sweet, tart, and savory flavors; both light and well-rounded.

It is best if the vinegar is mixed with the onions/shallots and dried fruit at least a night/day before. This gives time for the vinegar to start to denature the onions (mellowing their sharp flavor - also called acid denaturation) and to both rehydrate the dried fruit and to infuse their flavors.

>>> Download or print the Dried Fruit Vinaigrette recipe here

Get creative! This is far from a one-off recipe. Feel free to try this with a variation of dried fruits, vinegars, alliums, spices, herbs, oils, etc.

Enjoy exploring and creating with your garden!

🥗 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🥗

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3 Ways to Preserve Food for Long-Term Storage

There are many ways to preserve food for long-term storage at home. Here, we take a closer look at canning, root-cellaring, and dehydrating. Which one is your go-to method?

Read the Article

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

Are you looking for new inspiration for how to use your garden bounty in a delicious way?

Then you are in for a tasty treat!

These recipes are sure to delight your palate.
Tasty Recipe PDF 3D
>>> Download your copy of “Tasty Recipes for Preserving Your Harvest”

These recipes utilize minimal common ingredients and each carry unique flavors.

Whether you are using your own harvest, shopping at the farmers market or even the grocery store … these recipes combine quality vegetables, fruits and herbs into savory dishes that you can delight your friends and family over your next shared meal.

Enjoy adding new flavor to your meals,
🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Peppers finally planted (perfect timing... mild weather) and "new zealand spinach" is sprouting.
Good for the peppers... but not good for my NZ spinach (buy the way it's not related to spinach) The tiny seedlings just popped up and now it's overcast and rain tomorrow (they need sunlight)
Peppers: 2 plobano, one hot banana, and one giant jalepeno

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,
Welcome to worm composting month Sponsored by Urban Worm Bag. This month we are very excited to have Steve from Urban Worm Company to SHARE with us the easiest way to compost your food scraps.
Plus join us for our Tree, Garden and Seed Chats. Check them out...

Tree Chat
"Pomegranates"
May 9
Click HERE

Seed Chat
"Grexing -
What is it?"
May 16
Click HERE

Garden Chat
"Small Space Urban Farming"
May 23
Click HERE

May 17 - Intro to Worm Composting w/ Steve Churchill
Click HERE to enroll!​

It’s time to learn how to make your own garden gold! Join us as we have a down and dirty conversation with Steve Churchill of Urban Worm Company as he explains the basics of this ultimate gardening resource.
  • Learn about the cool way to vermicompost (composting with worms).
  • Find out how to set up your own vermicomposting bag.
  • Learn what goes into a vermicomposting system, and what does not.
  • Find out just how much time and energy it takes to keep a worm compost system going.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Vegetable Landscaping: 100 Sq Ft Gardening​

How much food can you grow in 100 sq ft? Set aside a small amount of your yard for vegetable landscaping instead of growing so much grass.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Growing Potatoes in a Barrel​

Learn how to grow potatoes in a barrel with these step-by-step instructions for creating and using a potato barrel. If you have a sunny spot to place a garbage can, you can grow your potatoes!​

Insect Hotel: DIY Pollinator-Friendly Windowbox Planter​

Learn how you can invite wildlife into your yard by building this windowbox to encourage habitation by bees, butterflies, hoverflies, and more.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Growing Mushrooms at Home: The PF Tek Method​

Interested in growing mushrooms at home? The PF Tek method is a simple, effective way to grow shiitake and oyster mushrooms.​

Ep. 172 Where to Put House Plants So They Thrive​

Learn how to take care of a plant indoors with tips for common houseplant care, where to put house plants based on sunlight measurements, and more!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,
Worm composting or vermiculture is the process of using worms to break down food waste and other compostables. And what comes out of the worms is gardeners gold. It is jam packed with microbial life and nutrients that super energize your garden soil.
When we arrived here in North Carolina I was tasked with figuring out how to get our food waste composted, as I can stand throwing it away...wherever that is! So at the farmers market on day in May of 2022 I stumbled across the Urban Worm Bag and bought one. And I have to tell you this system is the most incredible way to compost I have ever found. And that is saying a lot since I have been composting for 40 years and for a full year in my Urban Worm Bag.
Check out the video below from a year ago when I started my Urban Worm Bag and since then it has been nothing but smooth composting!
So I reached out to Steve the owner of Urban Worm Company, made friends and discovered how cool what he is up to is. Then asked him if he would be interested in teaching a class on the subject of worm composting. He was all in so please join me for Introduction to Worm Composting where you can learn the ins and outs of the process and how easy it is. Join us Wednesday, May 17th at 4pm AZ&Pacific / 7pm Eastern. If you can't make it live we will send out the recording. Click HERE to register.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I lived in Phoenix, Arizona for nearly my entire life. Growing food in the desert is not easy. Heck, growing food ANYWHERE can seem like a daunting task...until you know the rules.

Do you know the rules?

Sometimes, people ask me if there’s a secret. They want to know one thing they can do that will dramatically increase the health of their plants.

The secret is in the compost.

On that note, I would like to introduce you to the new Worm Composting Bin that I found while searching for a new system to set up here at my new place. Check out Urban Worm Company's easy-to-use system. The food waste goes in the top, add a few worms, and the compost comes out the bottom. Go to UrbanWormCompany.org/UrbanFarm to see what our friend Steve has to say.

And to continue your learning, let these articles be your guide to great compost:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi - Real quick...

Watch the Masterclass before it expires tonight:

3 Strategies to Simplify Preserving & Storing the Harvest

Enjoy fresh, organic vegetables & herbs all year long.

You won't want to miss this, because food preservation is not just about canning a bunch of tomatoes for the winter.

There are six different types of food preservation covered in the Masterclass...Canning, Freezing, Drying / Dehydrating, Fermenting, Pickling, and Curing / Storing!

All have their benefits. And all are easier than you may think!

Fermenting has massive benefits to boost your immunity.

And listeners are finding new ways to add more fermented foods in their life after watching the Masterclass.

Check out the Masterclass before the timer runs out.

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

DIY Vertical Vegetable Gardening Systems​

Improve yield, grow bigger vegetables, and make more efficient use of growing space by using these vertical gardening techniques. Build your own vertical vegetable gardening systems.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Building Tomato Towers​

Learn how to protect and support your fruit-bearing plants and your budget with towers made from woven wire fencing.​

DIY Vertical Rain Gutter Garden with Auto-Watering System​

Learn to build an A-frame vertical rain gutter garden system with an automatic watering setup. I designed this project in 3D using Google Sketchup.​

VU Sponsors