Become a Patron!

Hohm Slice

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I bet if enough slice owners email them regarding the battery issues they will try and do something about it... Does anyone else find the mod to be uncomfortable to hold? It's got those sharp edges on the front face that really dig into my girly hands. I hope someone makes a silicone sleeve for it.
It's comfy to hold.

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok so I've finally had a chance to sit down with the slice and try out the Kanthal TC. At the end of the day, that's what I bought it for. I tried it out using a Herakles Plus with a .42 Kanthal coil and had it sent to 15% (can't remember the name of the menu option for the %) 60w, 480 degrees. I wasent sure if I needed to but I locked in the resistance as well.

I was pleasantly surprised; this thing actually does what it claims and I managed to set it up on my first try. I haven't tried it out with an RDA but I did vape the tank dry and it did what it's supposed to do. I'm sure someone will eventually come around and tell it's not really doing temp control but as far as I'm concerned, it works.

In all honesty, I really did not want to like this mod. I've always viewed the whole FSK thing with skepticism and Phil's video on the G2 (I'm aware of all the issues and mistakes made in it) didn't help the cause. However when I started to see that @Deucesjack was endorsing it with such enthusiasm, I had to try it for myself. I figure the guy owns two of every mod know to man so he must know what he's talking about. It must be like the vapors Ark over at his place...

Anyhow, sorry for rambling but I was excited that it works so well and my wife fell asleep halfway through me telling her about it, so I gotta tell someone.... Quick question, what is the auto TC option? I have it off, should I be using it?

Thanks

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok so I've finally had a chance to sit down with the slice and try out the Kanthal TC. At the end of the day, that's what I bought it for. I tried it out using a Herakles Plus with a .42 Kanthal coil and had it sent to 15% (can't remember the name of the menu option for the %) 60w, 480 degrees. I wasent sure if I needed to but I locked in the resistance as well.

I was pleasantly surprised; this thing actually does what it claims and I managed to set it up on my first try. I haven't tried it out with an RDA but I did vape the tank dry and it did what it's supposed to do. I'm sure someone will eventually come around and tell it's not really doing temp control but as far as I'm concerned, it works.

In all honesty, I really did not want to like this mod. I've always viewed the whole FSK thing with skepticism and Phil's video on the G2 (I'm aware of all the issues and mistakes made in it) didn't help the cause. However when I started to see that @Deucesjack was endorsing it with such enthusiasm, I had to try it for myself. I figure the guy owns two of every mod know to man so he must know what he's talking about. It must be like the vapors Ark over at his place...

Anyhow, sorry for rambling but I was excited that it works so well and my wife fell asleep halfway through me telling her about it, so I gotta tell someone.... Quick question, what is the auto TC option? I have it off, should I be using it?

Thanks
Thx for the kind words. Nah, I never use auto tc. I like controlling my own vape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I may have to purchase in the US, shipping back to the US from Australia should there be a problem would be a hassle. Perhaps I should wait until a vendor here stocks them. It sounds like a mod with some amazing capabilities however with TC on kanthal and all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ability to do TC with Kanthal was the only reason for getting a Slice myself. I have the LE. However, as strange as it is, I haven't used any Kanthal build on this mod yet.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Thanks
IMO, it's definitely a mod that you have to get used to. I haven't tried all of it's features yet. However, I like to tinker a lot, just like with my RC Helis. :giggle:

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am using TC. It is more battery dependant than watts mode.

Yeah, I get that you are using TC.
That's why I mentioned that TC is not going to suck your battery down because it varies the power delivered to the coil to hold the temp.
Unlike power mode vaping which delivers a continuous wattage to the coil.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Don't know but I'll check when I recharge a battery today. Last night I dropped one in the charger and it said 24% which is the lowest I have seen so far. Like I said it's really not that bad I just wish the battery meter was more accurate and didn't fluctuate all over the place. Battery life wise I'm ok with the mod. It might have been my expectations as well because up until this mod I never owned a 26650 device. I came awfully close to buying a Stout but when I saw this mod the Stout went on the back burner. I would love to see a comparison in battery life between the Stout and Slice. If anyone has both I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I get that you are using TC.
That's why I mentioned that TC is not going to suck your battery down because it varies the power delivered to the coil to hold the temp.
Unlike power mode vaping which delivers a continuous wattage to the coil.
We can agree to disagree.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well here is the official explanation for the battery meter from Hohmtech:

Hi Jack, battery meter reads instant surface volt, and not full snap back volt so it will appear to move about quite a bit. Also, 0% on Hohm Slice vs. 30% on charger, this is most likely due to the charger evaluating the 26650 cell as a standard li-ion in the 18650 family where voltage can go substantially lower. For example, common 26650 has a cut off of 3.0V - 3.2V, where as the Hohm Grown has a cut off of 2.9V. However, these values when compared to a cells such as LG HG2 or HE2 (or HE4), these values range from 2.0V to 2.5V for cutoff. So a charger will evaluate % substantially different between 26650 and 18650. We look forward to the day that 26650 chemistry technology catches up to the 18650 levels found at IC (Indonesia Chemistry). We did get improvements on the existing 26650 foundation cell, but were bound by limitation of technology. Nonetheless, we're quite pleased with the performance we achieved from the Hohm Grown 26650. Hope your day is great.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The battery read out is like the G2, I just picked up the G2 and it said 88%, took about 3 puffs and saw the battery dip to about 78% but climb back to 81% before the screen went dark. I just clicked the fire button on the G2 after a couple of minutes resting and it read 84% at first then climbed to 86% after a second.

It reads voltage sag and a single 26650 is going to sag more than dual 18650's. It is reading the voltage in real time so that is why it will recover after using it, all batteries do. In reality it is probably a lot more accurate than other battery meters which don't really drop after a long pull but we all know the battery has just been drained a little and will recover.

I haven't really noticed much of a difference battery life wise between the Slice and Stout but it is too soon to really tell since I have been using the slice like crazy. The Stout would last me all day or 2 but I only use it on the road and other mods at home. The Slice I go through a battery a day so far but I use it on the road and home so it is not really the same usage.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got over two days out of a battery but I am a more casual vapor than you guys. I haven't vaped 15 mls in two days. Of course that will change once my tanks come in to rotation.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I got over two days out of a battery but I am a more casual vapor than you guys. I haven't vaped 15 mls in two days. Of course that will change once my tanks come in to rotation.
Get a Boreas and you'll go through some juice. That tank is a juice whore. I think I vape 15mls with my first cup of coffee. Lol.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get a Boreas and you'll go through some juice. That tank is a juice whore. I think I vape 15mls with my first cup of coffee. Lol.

Too funny. When I first got the Boreas I was like yeah......8ml is going to last a while, I was wrong......lol

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Too funny. When I first got the Boreas I was like yeah......8ml is going to last a while, I was wrong......lol
I actually use it for juices I like but I'm not to crazy about. A while ago Gatorade sued a juice company. They knocked down the bottles that were in violation to $5 for 120mls. I got Blue Raspberry and Strawberry, 2 bottles each. I figured what hell $20 bucks for almost 500mls. The juice is vapable but it's really meh. I run it in the Boreas now so I can plow thru it and not have it go to waste.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really do like the Boreas, might be my favorite tank. If I didn't DIY my own juice then I might reconsider though, would get expensive real fast with store bought juice.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can live with that explanation from Hohmtech. I had a feeling this was what we were seeing from the meter. I think batt life is fine for me. About to fill third tank on Avocado and at 57% 60w vaping...I shouldn't have cheaped out on the Basen batts I got. Should have bought the Hohm grown. I'll get one or two when I order another Slice.
The clicky batt door was bugging me out. I did the tape fix and all is well now, very solid feeling.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I can live with that explanation from Hohmtech. I had a feeling this was what we were seeing from the meter. I think batt life is fine for me. About to fill third tank on Avocado and at 57% 60w vaping...I shouldn't have cheaped out on the Basen batts I got. Should have bought the Hohm grown. I'll get one or two when I order another Slice.
The clicky batt door was bugging me out. I did the tape fix and all is well now, very solid feeling.
I like the Basen just as much as the Hohm Grown. My experience has been that they are very comparable. The MXJO'S are shit in my opinion. When I bought the MXJO'S a bunch of 26650 mods had just come out because no one had the Basen. There must have been a run on them. Had I known Hohmtech was going to be so late to the market I would have waited to buy batteries.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I like the Basen just as much as the Hohm Grown. My experience has been that they are very comparable. The MXJO'S are shit in my opinion. When I bought the MXJO'S a bunch of 26650 mods had just come out because no one had the Basen. There must have been a run on them. Had I known Hohmtech was going to be so late to the market I would have waited to buy batteries.

You have both? That's all I need to know if you say they compare...

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Deucesjack So I built the boreas today. Pretty easy. I may have to get a couple more of those as backup.
Lol, I told you bro. One of my favorites but she's a cloud machine and a juice whore. I'm ordering another 2 before 8/8.

Adam Paseman

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is vaporcube the only place that sells the hohmslice? I almost broke down and bought one but they don't sell 26650 batteries, and really don't want to have to buy a battery separate.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Is vaporcube the only place that sells the hohmslice? I almost broke down and bought one but they don't sell 26650 batteries, and really don't want to have to buy a battery separate.
Got mine at the Cloudy Vapor but last I checked they only had blue. Brent the owner is a great guy. Vapor Cube should carry the batteries as they are Hohmtech's factory store.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lol, I told you bro. One of my favorites but she's a cloud machine and a juice whore. I'm ordering another 2 before 8/8.

That's true, especially with a dual 10 wrap 22g kanthal. I don't like the short drip tip that comes with it so I may have to replace that.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
That's true, especially with a dual 10 wrap 22g kanthal. I don't like the short drip tip that comes with it so I may have to replace that.
The Merlin drip tip is real nice on the Boreas. I hope they wind up selling them separately. I'm a buyer if they do.

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got mine at the Cloudy Vapor but last I checked they only had blue. Brent the owner is a great guy. Vapor Cube should carry the batteries as they are Hohmtech's factory store.

+1, Brent is too cool and thecloudyvapor.com has my business whenever they have something I want.

If they don't have the batteries though lightning vapes sells the Hohm tech batts. To be honest there nice batteries, I have the 26650 but I don't notice a big difference between them and my Mooch approved Basen's. The main + for the Hohm batteries is there so new that there unlikely to be cloned yet.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
+1, Brent is too cool and thecloudyvapor.com has my business whenever they have something I want.

If they don't have the batteries though lightning vapes sells the Hohm tech batts. To be honest there nice batteries, I have the 26650 but I don't notice a big difference between them and my Mooch approved Basen's. The main + for the Hohm batteries is there so new that there unlikely to be cloned yet.
Agreed, no difference in run time between the Hohmtech and Basen batteries so get whatever ones you can find the best deal on. Just stay away from the MXJO'S because they run considerably worse than the aforementioned 2.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Deucesjack Out of the boreas, merlin or avocado which tank do you think gives the best flavor as this is really all I care about. I don't have the merlin yet and have been reading up on the avocado. I researched the limitless rdta and don't like how the wicks seem to be screwed in the threads when tightening the top cap. Is that your experience?

F

fckaugust8th

ALLERIA!!!!:stars2::stars::deadhorse:
Just in case that is not very clear, Your next flavor tank should be ALLERIA

F

fckaugust8th

I like the Alleria over the Boreas, have all three Augvape tanks but the Alleria is the only one I have multiples of: 3 in residence and 2 on the way. I did order the aromamizer supreme just to see what all the hoopla is all about (4 ml form FT, so it'll be here before Christmas or so).

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I sure will. I can't wait to try a fused clapton in it

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
@Deucesjack Out of the boreas, merlin or avocado which tank do you think gives the best flavor as this is really all I care about. I don't have the merlin yet and have been reading up on the avocado. I researched the limitless rdta and don't like how the wicks seem to be screwed in the threads when tightening the top cap. Is that your experience?
Avocado has the best flavor but it's a pain to carry around because it doesn't hold a lot of juice. How can it not the coils are just so close to your mouth like a dripper. If I'm at home and I want flavor I grab my Avocado. If I'm out I grab my Merlin or Boreas. Can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion. The Alleria is great too but the Boreas and Merlin are better IMO.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I looked at that one too. I will relook.
The Alleria is I my daily rotation and I LOVE it. Well worth another look. I saw a YouTube video from an Irishman named Vaping with Vic that sold me on it. Good review of it. Please let us know what you think.

F

fckaugust8th

Why do I get the feeling that the iJoy tornado doesn't make for a good MTL tank:confused::wait:

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think it would be just fine as an MTL tank. I don't do it myself but don't see why it wouldn't be just fine I that manner.

F

fckaugust8th

@skt239, glad to see you're getting a slice of enjoyment . If I remember correctly, you're not supposed to lock the resistance, the auto TC only eats your battery faster, at least that's what I found.

raiderep

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my slice yesterday and my hohm grown caught up with it today. Love the xXx mode!

Here's a quick shot of my new slice with my new crown 2 on top, love this combo!

7532cbdd099d69e6d60debd42a482af0.jpg

Last edited:

mjag

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Crown 2, you have to give us a comparison to the og Crown......please

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

raiderep

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Crown 2, you have to give us a comparison to the og Crown......please

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
Sorry but I never had the og version.

And Tapatalk is screwing up my pics...I am stuck on an old version because they made a bunch of updates that made it unusable to me.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The Alleria is I my daily rotation and I LOVE it. Well worth another look. I saw a YouTube video from an Irishman named Vaping with Vic that sold me on it. Good review of it. Please let us know what you think.

I saw that. The wicking reminds me of the lemo which I could not wick.

VU Sponsors